Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2013, 20:01   #91
BHPian

Re: My Tryst with Orange: KTM Duke 390

To clarify, I asked them to detail the changes that were done. One engineer from KTM (Chandrashekar) was also there and he explained the change - In city (till the heat display reaches 9 bars), they have changed the radiator not to blow the heat towards the legs. Apparently, beyond that, it changes direction.

According to them, This is NOT a recall

Only a handful of bikes delivered in the first batch throughout India had this design issue. All the bikes shipping now have this design built in. They asked me not to worry, and it is done so that the first few owners don't feel left out of this improvement.

I feel this is the new update from KTM to avoid engine heating. I appreciate their honesty in calling the initial owners and fixing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Can you go along with your bike while this is being done? If so please take photos and share with us here. Would be great to know what was changed and why.
Sorry Doc! I was held up in different appointment and couldn't be around when they did the changes :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by degenr8 View Post
Congrats on your new ride Sriram, been following this thread for some time now. Have a query on fuel.

Do we get RON 95 fuel in Bangalore recommend for 390?

Cheers.
Thanks a lot! Btw, KTM says 91 RON is good enough. All petrol bunks deliver min 91 RON. So, no problem at all. I think Speed 97 will help (RON 97) since the compression ration of 390 is high (12.6) - I recently filled it up at Shell with the regular unleaded (91). I am eager to figure out if Speed 97 gives a significant difference in performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajisb View Post
Hope this will reduce the heating you were talking about. Do post the after ride experience.
I hope so too, Balaji! Thanks! Will sure share my experience this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
This is standard Bajaj operating procedure. Happens with most first generation Bajaj products for the first few months.

I have first gen P220 Fi, many components have been replaced during service/repair visits like this. Have seen this happen for the D200 & 200NS as well.
Praful, sad to hear this. I have heard a lot of complaints with the 220FI too. I haven't heard much in D200. I hope this doesn't happen with KTM and since they have a better QA/QC. I haven't heard much of problems with the NS too (except that I don't think it is doing the numbers I thought it would)

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
This is in line with my experiece of riding the Duke recently. I didnt felt any heating issues after my test ride and the reps out there did mention about a change in the radiator fan design from KTM for better cooling and resolving heat issues.
So its a good thing that KTM is still working towards resolving the issue to enahce the overall D390's buyer experience.
AWESOME! I hope this change in the radiator helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Yes I'm quite sure my bike has the new fan design logic in place. The technician did mention that based on the speed of the vehicle, the hot air direction is decided. I can safely say heat is not a major issue for me in crawling traffic.
Thanks for the input! I hope this change helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
So looks what i heard is true.
Bajaj has been delaying deliveries due to some overheating issues.
I am happy they are doing this instead of getting into a deeper mess. I hope the deliveries will accelerate now.

-----------

After I got the call from KTM I decided to get this done quickly and fortunately I was working from home.

As soon as I started, it started drizzling. So, instead of stopping I decided to ride to Mekhri circle (about 11 kms with just 1 signal in between) - Boy-o-boy these Metzelers are AWESOME. I pushed the 390 to the max I could (within the run-in limits) and even in terms of sudden braking in the wet, the rear tire never slid ONCE! Cornering was even more awesome with the tires sticking to tarmac.

My confidence has been recently shaken because of couple falls off my CBR. The standard operating procedure for fall - Hard braking in emergency, the rear tire slides OR the front tire slides and I kiss the ground. The most insulting part of it is that this happened in straight line (once in wet and once in DRY conditions). I once scared my hearts out during a mid-corner correction due to the soft front suspension of the CBR. Since then, I have become very cautious. The braking issues were resolved when Honda did their secret recall and fixed the front brake assembly. But still, the front suspension was too soft for me. (I am still a novice compared to 'ustads' here in the forum).

Today, I slowly worked hard to re-wire the brain. The 390 is an AMAZING piece of machinery. This is coming from a guy who loves his 650 GTN (You have to give it to the rowdy roar of the 90-degree V-Twin and the BRUTAL acceleration of GT650N)

I'll give 100% marks to KTM Duke 390 for cornering (it thinks it is a super sports bike), stiffness of chassis, brilliant brakes and Metzelers!

One of the FB groups, there was a discussion if we should save the Metzelers for the tracks and shift to some Michelins for in-city rides to save some cash (in replacements) - I am NOT changing the Metz for anything now. I'll walk to office if I don't have money, but will keep the Metz on the 390

The bike is surreal. I don't care if I have to blow into the engine every one hour to cool it down or if the radiator blows hot air into my legs (or elsewhere). This bike is AWESOME. Disgruntled people in waiting PLEASE don't cancel your bookings. This thing is worth the wait.

My return trip was not blessed by rain gods, and I had tons more fun. I can't imagine what I'll be doing after the first service

Last edited by sriramv.iyer : 20th September 2013 at 20:10. Reason: Two new comments added
sriramv.iyer is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th September 2013, 20:13   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
One of the FB groups, there was a discussion if we should save the Metzelers for the tracks and shift to some Michelins for in-city rides to save some cash (in replacements) - I am NOT changing the Metz for anything now. I'll walk to office if I don't have money, but will keep the Metz on the 390

You know you have hit the nail perfect, there was a discussion going on where it was being thought of as some alternative to the current tyres which are cheaper, I am ok with someone thinking about this but then yes there is huge difference between the other tyres available and the Met's. This bike rocks with Mets and I am very glad that KTM didnt think much about cost cutting measures and have shod the bike with perfect set of tyres. Kudos to the KTM team here. I would love to see someone doing this tyre comparison for the sake of it to arrive at a conclusion if something beats the Met's.
During my test ride, I purposely did one hard braking and the bike was rock solid without any drama of squeaks or sliding and that inspired a lot of confidence. And you have surely now tested them in rains and your experience seems very positive on them aswell.
invincible7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2013, 20:17   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Praful, sad to hear this. I have heard a lot of complaints with the 220FI too. I haven't heard much in D200. I hope this doesn't happen with KTM and since they have a better QA/QC. I haven't heard much of problems with the NS too (except that I don't think it is doing the numbers I thought it would)
Its part and parcel of owning a Bajaj (KTM is also Bajaj) bike!

Bajaj constantly innovates and improves their products, its just the way they work. Bikes within few months difference of manufacturing dates will have quite a few component changes.

This happens lesser with KTM (and NS) is because of their constantly improving QC. Duke's that came out at launch and the Duke's that are rolling off the production line today definitely have quite a few change, I've myself seen a few changes in the internal crankcase design of the new D200's.

And about the 220FI complaints, well my bike broke down twice (and I mean literally left me stranded in middle of now where on a highway) in the first 10K kms .

I learnt my lesson the hard way, I'm never buying a first generation product from Bajaj again (I know now the existing D200 owners will they haven't had any issues, but once bitten .. twice shy). So I'm gonna sit tight for now and book my 390 in a few months when *hopefully* Bajaj has sorted out the initial niggles.
Old 21st September 2013, 01:58   #94
BHPian

Hey sriram realized you had a separate thread now but had already posted my comment in the original duke 390 thread. I am relieved it's not a big job they are doing during the "enhanced performance" process. Lol... However what do you feel now? Is the heat lower, not that the brakes were poor earlier but have they become better now? Also any new figures you have on mileage. For our sake & satisfaction we highly recommend your bike out on a short trip and give us your first hand impressions. Since you are only second to doc now in terms of quick responders & HAVING the bike in their garage. Will await your inputs. Also did the folks at ktm give you the parts that they replaced so that you could compare how different are they really ? Pics would be great. The only thing I have not asked is to take your bike for a ride as I am in Mumbai but believe me had it been the other way round I would be ringing your door bell anytime !!! Cheers
Old 21st September 2013, 09:16   #95
BHPian

I second 90bhp, please take her out for a long-ish ride and give us some more feedback. Please.
jaygeetee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2013, 09:53   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since you are only second to doc now in terms of quick responders
On a fun note, please give doc and sriram some time. We gave and are giving those KTM and Bajaj jokers over 90 days to even deliver the bike.

Let these guys take more time.

On second thought, sriram has already summed up an answer to everyone. Just get the 390.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2013, 10:16   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry Doc! I was held up in different appointment and couldn't be around when they did the changes :-(
No isues bro. If its possible, can you ask them what exactly the "rotor" is and if possible, get a hoto of it and post it here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Duke's that came out at launch and the Duke's that are rolling off the production line today definitely have quite a few change
Not all of them good.

Quote:
I learnt my lesson the hard way, I'm never buying a first generation product from Bajaj again (I know now the existing D200 owners will they haven't had any issues, but once bitten .. twice shy).
I am exactly the opposite. When it comes to the KTMs, if/when I buy my next one, I'll make sure its from the first lot that rolls off the assembly lines at Chakan.

Praful, the first lot Dukes are quicker and faster than the newer Dukes. No arguments from anyone on that.
Old 21st September 2013, 12:23   #98
BHPian

Quote:
No isues bro. If its possible, can you ask them what exactly the "rotor" is and if possible, get a hoto of it and post it here?
You need a hoto of the roto !!! Lol... Doc 😜
90BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2013, 16:09   #99
BHPian

Sriram I've got a list of questions for you.

What is your odo reading right now?
Can you make out any changes after the recall?
Does your bike also face starting issues?
Do you plan to change the engine oil before 1000 km? I ask this cuz many people say it's good for the engine as all the debris from the initial break in will be flushed out of the engine!
Old 21st September 2013, 16:38   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90BHP View Post
You need a hoto of the roto !!! Lol... Doc ��
LOL sorry for my twinkle fingers man!

I wanted to know what rotor they were changing basically - and if posible, why.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2013, 20:00   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90BHP View Post
Hey sriram realized you had a separate thread now but had already posted my comment in the original duke 390 thread. I am relieved it's not a big job they are doing during the "enhanced performance" process. Lol... However what do you feel now? Is the heat lower, not that the brakes were poor earlier but have they become better now? Also any new figures you have on mileage. For our sake & satisfaction we highly recommend your bike out on a short trip and give us your first hand impressions. Since you are only second to doc now in terms of quick responders & HAVING the bike in their garage. Will await your inputs. Also did the folks at ktm give you the parts that they replaced so that you could compare how different are they really ? Pics would be great. The only thing I have not asked is to take your bike for a ride as I am in Mumbai but believe me had it been the other way round I would be ringing your door bell anytime !!! Cheers
Oops - Sorry I missed the original 390 thread. It is just a replacement of the radiator. I felt that the heat is lower. But, I haven't taken a ride after the replacement (only the drive back home). Will sure take a ride tomorrrow and pass on the feedback. I have been itching to go out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygeetee View Post
I second 90bhp, please take her out for a long-ish ride and give us some more feedback. Please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
On a fun note, please give doc and sriram some time. We gave and are giving those KTM and Bajaj jokers over 90 days to even deliver the bike.

Let these guys take more time.

On second thought, sriram has already summed up an answer to everyone. Just get the 390.
Ha ha ha - Thanks! Been offline since last night. You summed it up perfect!

Quote:

Not all of them good.

I am exactly the opposite. When it comes to the KTMs, if/when I buy my next one, I'll make sure its from the first lot that rolls off the assembly lines at Chakan.

Praful, the first lot Dukes are quicker and faster than the newer Dukes. No arguments from anyone on that.
I didn't know that the first lot of Dukes are faster! I am glad I picked one up soon. I'll ask the KTM guys if I can take photos of the new vs old part when I go there next time. I should have done it when they were replacing it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Sriram I've got a list of questions for you.

What is your odo reading right now?
Can you make out any changes after the recall?
Does your bike also face starting issues?
Do you plan to change the engine oil before 1000 km? I ask this cuz many people say it's good for the engine as all the debris from the initial break in will be flushed out of the engine!
(1) Odo is reading close to 300.
(2) The heating is less - But, I took a very short ride. So, will take a longer ride tomorrow and confirm.
(3) No starting issues still now. KTM told me not to wring the throttle while starting the bike, MANY times. So, I am careful not to open the throttle instinctively while starting it. The powerdrift review points out that cold-starts are not a problem, while starting it when the engine is hot, may be a problem. (nothing that can be fixed by starting it couple of times)
(4) I am not doing a motorman. It is still a good idea to flush the engine below 100 kms. I am not planning to do that. The bike will go to service when 30 days are over.

Quote:
LOL sorry for my twinkle fingers man!

I wanted to know what rotor they were changing basically - and if posible, why.
Doc, apparently, there is no change in rotor. Only the radiator has been replaced.
Old 21st September 2013, 20:18   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Doc, apparently, there is no change in rotor. Only the radiator has been replaced.
Hmm , how does replacing the radiator make the fan blow in opposite direction at low speeds ? we are missing something here !
Old 21st September 2013, 20:45   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Apparently, beyond that, it changes direction.
Does one know if this is implemented in any other bike? If not, superb out of the box thinking by KTM.

But this will need a full bridge circuit. With an extra relay. They did not mention anything about changes in the electrical system/ wiring?

Wonder for which direction the fan blade profile is optimised?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2013, 21:37   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Hmm , how does replacing the radiator make the fan blow in opposite direction at low speeds ? we are missing something here !
I think they were talking about the front brake rotor here not the radiator fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Does one know if this is implemented in any other bike? If not, superb out of the box thinking by KTM.

But this will need a full bridge circuit. With an extra relay. They did not mention anything about changes in the electrical system/ wiring?

Wonder for which direction the fan blade profile is optimised?

Regards
Sutripta
If the entire radiator gets replaced would it not be possible for it to have all the above already as a part of it.
Old 22nd September 2013, 12:57   #105
BHPian

Hey there, 1st of all congrats on your ride. Its a real beast to own and ride.
I am sure you are amongst the 1st ones to own this in India and the new owners would learn a lot from your experiences.

Enjoy your ride and keep posting updates. I am hoping to put my ownership thread soon Still waiting for the call from KTM.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks