Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2013, 19:28   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Another Yamaha at home - My Yamaha Ray

Background
My dad has a 2007 TVS Scooty Pep with 70k on odo as his daily ride. For past 6 months the old work horse started giving troubles (Clutch & belt failure, starting trouble, hard suspension, poor pickup, etc etc) We decided to it's time for replacement.

Hunt
Started hunting for a replacement. We are proud owners of TVS from 90's, we had most of the vehicles from TVS (50 XL, XL Super, Scooty ES, Scooty PEP, Scooty Streak, Max 100R, Star Sport, Apache RTR) So this time we wanted a change (for no reasons)

Requirements
- Not so heavy
- Reasonable mileage (40+kmpl)
- Soft suspension and good rear seat comfort
- Good braking
- Trouble free ownership
- Price <60k

Choices
Below were our choices
1) Honda Activa-i
Got some positive feedback from my dad's friend. But the styling doesn't look appealing to myself and my mom. So no TD.
2) Honda Dio
I some how liked the new Dio styling and the colors available (Matt grey, White & Yellow) But the response from dealership was poor. No TD vehicle available, no stock available, Sales executive was promoting Activa-i. So ruled out
3) Honda Activa
Ruled out for no reason.
4) Hero Pleasure
I got good feedback from many of my friends on pleasure. But since my In-law family have a pleasure and my wife is not satisfied with it (again no reason)
5) Mahindra Rodeo
Good pickup and suspension. But ruled out for it's height
6) Yamaha Ray
Even before TD, ray attracted my mom and wify. Had a TD and found far better than our pep and pleasure. Sales executive was very kind. I liked Ray-Z, but since it will be used by my dad we settled for Ray (Grey color)

Buying experience
We were offered the quotation for 54946 INR On-road + 2630 for accessories (Seat cover, Handle grip, Floor mat, front and rear crash guards, side foot rest, Indicator buzzer) I'm not satisfied with the looks of crash guard, floor mat, seat cover & handle grip. Finally negotiated for 54946 with freebies (teflon coating, foot rest, floor mat, Indicator buzzer, 2ltr petrol) yesterday and informed them we will take delivery the next day.

Myself and my better half reached the dealership by 3:30pm, and got delivery by 4:00pm. Wify driven the new work horse to home. Went to temple with mom and did pooja.

- Soft suspension
- Good rear seat comfort
- Superb braking

Dislikes
- Not so peppy engine
- Under seat storage could not accommodate full face hell-mate
- Horn is almost useless (no upgrade recommended, will void battery warranty)
- Lighting is not satisfactory (but more than enough for city driving)

Yet to check the FE figures. Will add the detailed ownership review soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Another Yamaha at home - My Yamaha Ray-img_0171.jpg  

Another Yamaha at home - My Yamaha Ray-img_0167.jpg  

Another Yamaha at home - My Yamaha Ray-img_0168.jpg  

Another Yamaha at home - My Yamaha Ray-img_0169.jpg  

Another Yamaha at home - My Yamaha Ray-img_0170.jpg  

Another Yamaha at home - My Yamaha Ray-img_0172.jpg  

Another Yamaha at home - My Yamaha Ray-img_0173.jpg  

Last edited by Mr.Boss : 13th September 2013 at 19:29.
Mr.Boss is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 09:06   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Another Yamaha at home - My Yamaha Ray

Had this doubt for a long time. Almost all the Yamaha 2 wheelers (in production now) except the entry level bikes has 2 cables connected to the accelerator (refer 2nd snap in the above post)
Someone please explain the need / function.
Old 14th September 2013, 09:29   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Had this doubt for a long time. Almost all the Yamaha 2 wheelers (in production now) except the entry level bikes has 2 cables connected to the accelerator (refer 2nd snap in the above post)
Someone please explain the need / function.
This is seen in most 4 strokers nowadays. There are 2 throttle cables A and B to facilitate opening and closing of the throttle. Cable A takes care of opening and B closing. In case you have a stuck throttle, the other cables simply closes the carburetor slide to avoid fuel overflow.
Hope that helps.
Divya Sharan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 12:07   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
Cable A takes care of opening and B closing. In case you have a stuck throttle, the other cables simply closes the carburetor slide to avoid fuel overflow.
Hope that helps.
Understood. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 16th September 2013, 08:46   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Another Yamaha at home - My Yamaha Ray

Quick update:
Couldn't resist myself checking FE after a very short run of 60km. Filled the tank and it consumed 1.29 ltr petrol (46.5kmpl)

Observations:
- Seat material is very cheap and flimsy (hope it wont last for atleast 2 years, additional seat cover is a must)
- On sudden braking, handle bar vibrates a lot (also I could feel some noise from the front brakes)
- Seat lock gets stuck sometimes
Old 16th September 2013, 09:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

@Mr Boss

Congratulations on getting the Ray home, the colour also looks good on the scooter.

During my recent ride of the Ray belonging to a friend, I found three things not to my liking. Lesser leg space as I felt the area was too less, headlamps incorrectly placed on the body instead of the handle and lastly the too sharp & uneven front body. My Personal opinion. But agree with you on the engine, too peppy, easily could reach 80ish speeds. My frind opted for the normal helmet without any visors & got a good eye protection safety goggle.

Happy mile crunching and drive safely.
Old 16th September 2013, 10:52   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Lesser leg space as I felt the area was too less, headlamps incorrectly placed on the body instead of the handle and lastly the too sharp & uneven front body. My Personal opinion.
Strongly agree here. For a 6' + person this scooter is a strict "NO"
But this is quite sufficient for my dad. He is very much comfortable. Regarding the headlamp placement, I feel car like beam throw.
Old 16th September 2013, 13:32   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- On sudden braking, handle bar vibrates a lot (also I could feel some noise from the front brakes)
That's an issues Yamaha India recalled around 5K Ray scooters some time back, if I recall correctly. Surprising you are still complaining the problem. Do get it sorted at the time if 1st service.

BTW, as per VIN, when was your scooter manufactured? This could point to problem of handle bar judder.
Old 16th September 2013, 15:08   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
That's an issues Yamaha India recalled around 5K Ray scooters some time back, if I recall correctly.
Forgot to decode the VIN number. Will check tonight.
Thanks for the info dear.
Old 16th September 2013, 16:28   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Forgot to decode the VIN number. Will check tonight.
Just checked from Yamaha website, my vehicle is not in the affected list.
Old 16th September 2013, 16:41   #11
BHPian

Congrats on the Ray. I'm actually looking at the Dio, Ray or Wego a few months from now, for my wife. I have Wego as 1st choice, but my wife prefers the looks of the Ray and then the Dio.

Your thread is going to be of great help to decide. Do keep posting updates.

Thanks
swami.n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2016, 22:46   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Update after 3 years

Covered a little over 18k km in 3+ years and the vehicle is still being serviced at Y.A.S.S. No parts replaced yet (touch-wood) and one of the tire is due for replacement now.

At 10k km, tires were swapped (Front <--> Rear) and the current front tire needs replacement in another 1k km. Should I go with the same MRF tire or should I look for something else?

PS:
Had a couple of punctures in this 18k km driving. No specific complaints with the performance of existing tire, but I'm looking if we could get something better than this. Please suggest
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2017, 17:40   #13

Can someone please provide inputs on the comparison between RayZ and Dio.
Old 10th February 2017, 18:53   #14
Senior - BHPian

Please add a Studds Utility box like, I did on my Ray. This box is super useful, with out lifting the seat to access the storage space, esp to keep small items like medecines, fruits , food items like Ice Cream (which can melt due to engine heat under the seat).
Another Yamaha at home - My Yamaha Ray-1.jpg
hillram is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2017, 22:49   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafalkon View Post
Can someone please provide inputs on the comparison between RayZ and Dio.
Engine:
No doubts, Honda wins here. Dio is relatively peppier than Ray. But I could see a lot of refinement in Yamaha's engine.

Ride & Handling:
Ride part is almost same in both scooters, but on the handling characteristics Ray is superior with it's telescopic suspension in front.

Seat:
Both scooters have almost same height and sized seat. Ray's seat seemed to be more flat and best suitable for lady pillion.

Riding Posture:
Handle bar is positioned little higher in Dio and gives a proper upright driving position. OTOH Ray has a shorter handle positioning and best suitable for short / moderate height riders only

Leg Room:
Dio wins here, making a larger area to accomodate tall people

Under Seat storage:
Again, Dio wins with it's deep and larger storage area. Ray could fit only a half helmet inside.

Verdict:
For teenagers, it's Dio any day and for elderly people / ladies it's Ray blindly (out of these 2 choices)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Please add a Studds Utility box like, I did on my Ray. This box is super useful, with out lifting the seat to access the storage space, esp to keep small items like medecines, fruits , food items like Ice Cream (which can melt due to engine heat under the seat).
Wondering how much strain the pillion should put on his/her legs to be seated (double side) Thanks for the suggestion, but we are happy to continue with the underseat compartment.

Most Viewed