Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2013, 12:07   #16
BHPian

Re: Yamaha FZ-S: Unhappy with part quality / replacements & after-sales service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
I have a Karizma too. Now for consumables,

1. Air filter - replacement required every 10k kms. That means 3 times in 32k kms.
2. Spark plug - replacement required every 12k kms. That means 2 times in 32k kms with a replacement due soon.
3. Chain sprocket - totally depends on use + maintenance. I changed mine at 20k as I'd removed the chain cover. Put it back and running the second set since.
4. Brake pads - depends upon usage. I'm on 3rd set of front pads already, rear are still stock. Mind you, karizma pads are costly, 1200 for each pad.
5. Running on mineral oil - change every 1800-2000 kms. SS oil - 3k, FS - 4k at max.
6. Tires - Swapped the rear tires with Pirelli Sport Demon at 16k due to its bad grip issues. But PSD being soft compound wore out in 10k kms.

Regarding the exorbitant SVC labor charges, there is just one solution. A private mech.
In case of bleeding the brakes where they charged you 160 for labor, they would say that it requires a lot of work for disassembling the disc assembly, bleed the lines and ensure that there's no air lock. And it does take 15-20 min in doing it perfectly.
Either you learn a few DIY stuff like changing engine oil, air filter, spark plugs, brake lines bleeding etc by yourself or find a competent private mech.
I stopped visiting the SVC after free services were over and do most of the stuff myself.
Hi,

Why shall one change air filter every 10K KMS please?? Who said so? Same with spark plug>

Again, Illogical comparison. Karizma has a heavier Engine and completely different bike from FZ. Whatever, I had a completely tension-free ownership for first 2-3 years. FYI, Karizma provides a lot better quality than Yamaha, that you will realize after you use and FZ or do a little research online. The tyres were worn out in 16K? that is hard to believe. Even the poorest quality tyres are expected to last atleast 23-25K.

It does not take 15-20 min to change the break oil. I know how to do it, and they did it in front of me. I don't think 160 is worth.
From when did they start charging labor based on the time spent? Time spent is totally based on the competence of the mechanic.

Changing the parts on your choice and changing parts out of no option - totally different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Dear Googleman, i have faced similar rip off labor charges with Bajaj too. So its not just the case of Yamaha.

FZ is not a complicated bike, so you can get it serviced easily outside the service center too. I started doing this with my pulsar when the service charges at the BASS started crossing 1500 Rupees for a service + oil change.

The 160Rs labor for changing the brake disc oil is rip off agreed. Its a simple job. You can do it yourself too!

Parts for the yamaha bikes are easily available at the local spare parts shop.Things like spark plugs, oil seals,air filter,chain-sprocket can be procured without a problem.Ensure that you go to a competant local mechanic. Remember , most of the local mechanics are ameturs and will experiment with the bike. Goto a mechanic who has serviced the new gen range of Yamaha bikes. And you will be a happy man.
True about rip-off. The Bajaj mechanics are atleast technically strong. They most of the time tell you the exact problem in your bike. Yamaha mechs are currently experimenting on the bikes.
Atleast Bajaj SVC will not return your bike without refilling the engine oil. Engine oil is one of the major things to do in a service, how can they forget that?
To top it, they returned the bike with something which was working fine earlier but not now (meter light)

Last edited by Googleman : 18th September 2013 at 12:13.
Old 18th September 2013, 12:24   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
Hi,

Why shall one change air filter every 10K KMS please?? Who said so? Same with spark plug>

Again, Illogical comparison. Karizma has a heavier Engine and completely different bike from FZ. Whatever, I had a completely tension-free ownership for first 2-3 years. FYI, Karizma provides a lot better quality than Yamaha, that you will realize after you use and FZ or do a little research online. The tyres were worn out in 16K? that is hard to believe. Even the poorest quality tyres are expected to last atleast 23-25K.

It does not take 15-20 min to change the break oil. I know how to do it, and they did it in front of me. I don't think 160 is worth.
From when did they start charging labor based on the time spent? Time spent is totally based on the competence of the mechanic.

Changing the parts on your choice and changing parts out of no option - totally different.
Request you to read the owner's manual properly then. Karizma has a paper filter which requires replacement every 10k kms. Same way, 12k for the spark plug.
People don't follow basic stuff mentioned by OEM and cry hoarse later!

Regarding tires, you're a bit mis-informed. Hard compounds may last 30k kms, but they are not the best when it comes to grip levels. A soft compound offers the best grip, but has least life.
Hence, enthusiasts prefer medium compound tires on their bikes.

Regarding 160 for the brake bleeding, even I agree its a rip off, but nobody would do it for 50-60 odd in BLR at least.
Old 18th September 2013, 12:48   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
Request you to read the owner's manual properly then. Karizma has a paper filter which requires replacement every 10k kms. Same way, 12k for the spark plug.
People don't follow basic stuff mentioned by OEM and cry hoarse later!

Regarding tires, you're a bit mis-informed. Hard compounds may last 30k kms, but they are not the best when it comes to grip levels. A soft compound offers the best grip, but has least life.
Hence, enthusiasts prefer medium compound tires on their bikes.

Regarding 160 for the brake bleeding, even I agree its a rip off, but nobody would do it for 50-60 odd in BLR at least.
Obviously every/most T-BHP member knows about tyre compounds.
I was talking about medium compound. Hard compound will last more than 30K.
Karizma has a paper filter so why are you comparing it with an FZ? Who will not replace the break oil for 50-60? Local mechs will do it happily.
Old 18th September 2013, 13:24   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Obviously every/most T-BHP member knows about tyre compounds.
I was talking about medium compound. Hard compound will last more than 30K.
Karizma has a paper filter so why are you comparing it with an FZ? Who will not replace the break oil for 50-60? Local mechs will do it happily.
Its not about comparing mate. Its about the proper upkeep of your motorcycle. BLR is dusty and no matter whatever the tye of air filter your bike may have, it'll require replacement sooner when compared to less dusty areas. Its as simple as that.
Similarly, you can't expect a spark plug to fire evenly after 30k kms. It has a shelf life and hence OEMs ask owners to keep changing them at periodic intervals as preventive maintenance. Keep the older one as spare.
I'm not sure which hard compound would be reliable enough after 30k though. Rubber becomes hard and offers no traction after that mark on most tires.
Yes, a private mech known to you would do the job for 50 bucks, but not an SVC. I thought we were talking about extra charges @YASC. Hence, even I, in my 1st post asked you to find a competent private mech for your bike.
Old 18th September 2013, 19:11   #20
BHPian

See brother/sir (whatever pleases you), I'm only stating facts that I've learnt overs years riding. You don't want to listen; its your wish. But arguing won't change facts. Best way to verify my claims - Google it! Or ask any knowledgeable rider.
Fighting over few pre-conceived misconceptions is not going to do you any good. Anyways, I'm off this thread. Enjoy rant-ing!

Last edited by GTO : 19th September 2013 at 14:22. Reason: Quoted post has been deleted, because of its rude nature. Thanks
Divya Sharan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 20:21   #21
BHPian

|googleman| I understand exactly how you feel, having ridden a bullet-proof LML Freedom (except punctures, of course) for 10+years & recently traded it for a Yamaha SZ-RR.

The below thread has a comment about quality troubles I have had to face on a 10-day old Yamaha bike.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...-leak-etc.html
In one instance, with less than 100km on the odo, I had the engine refusing to rev/start in rain & had to walk 4 km in the rain. Not what I had expected in the first week of ownership!

I think it is safe to say that Yamaha bike quality isn't up to par with other top manufacturers. And going by what you say about their service centres, they seem to be the Fiat of motorcycles!
yatin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 23:15   #22
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Googleman for sharing your ownership experience on FZS!

I was seriously considering FZS for my daily commute thanks to the Blore traffic, rising petrol cost etc.
But, I don't want another Fiat experience though I didn't face any major service issues & the car (almost 10 years old) still runs like a charm!
I guess Honda Unicorn would be a better choice, any suggestions?
Old 18th September 2013, 23:59   #23
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post

I was seriously considering FZS for my daily commute thanks to the Blore traffic, rising petrol cost etc.
But, I don't want another Fiat experience though I didn't face any major service issues & the car (almost 10 years old) still runs like a charm!
If you have a trusted mechanic or the yamaha svc in your area is good then I don't find any reason as to why one should drop the fz16. I myself own a year old fazer and i have a very good yamaha svc in my area so I am
Quite happy with yamaha services.
On the other hand we face problems with my moms activa and a friends ceeber because of the pathetic Honda svc in our area.
Air filter, spark plugs as mentioned in the manual
Need to be changed at 12k kms. Rest the brake pads and shoes depend on your riding style.
So if you have a good svc in your area go
For the fz16.
All the best
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2013, 01:20   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post

Hi,

I have owned Hero Honda, Bajaj and now Yamaha. At one point, all the bikes will have some issue which the SVC will not be able to resolve.

BUT

Hero Honda and Bajaj will go out of their way to help you (Sending a field engineer from the company, not dealer). Yamaha, leaves you alone. Problem is, unqualified mechanics, too many bikes and low quality (spares are extremely cheap).

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
If you have a trusted mechanic or the yamaha svc in your area is good then I don't find any reason as to why one should drop the fz16. I myself own a year old fazer and i have a very good yamaha svc in my area so I am
Quite happy with yamaha services.
On the other hand we face problems with my moms activa and a friends ceeber because of the pathetic Honda svc in our area.
Air filter, spark plugs as mentioned in the manual
Need to be changed at 12k kms. Rest the brake pads and shoes depend on your riding style.
So if you have a good svc in your area go
For the fz16.
All the best
I have kept my bike in Pune for a year and Bangalore for 2 years. Have got my bike serviced in 2 SVC in Pune and 2, no 3 in Bangalore. Now if you say that the it depends on the SVC, so who has the time to find a good SVC?? You ultimately have to give your bike at all the SVCs atleast once. By the time you are fed-up, you conclude none are better.

Other manufacturers would also have the same issues, but they have an escalation process and adhere to it. What about Yamaha? I have written that in my first post (in brief). If I come to explain their behavior in details, I go bonkers recalling it.

Search mouthshut.com about Yamaha SVCs

Last edited by GTO : 19th September 2013 at 14:22. Reason: Next time, infraction. Do NOT post in a rude or sarcastic manner toward other BHPians
Old 19th September 2013, 01:28   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Hi,

I have owned Hero Honda, Bajaj and now Yamaha. At one point, all the bikes will have some issue which the SVC will not be able to resolve.

BUT

Hero Honda and Bajaj will go out of their way to help you (Sending a field engineer from the company, not dealer). Yamaha, leaves you alone. Problem is, unqualified mechanics, too many bikes and low quality (spares are extremely cheap).

I have kept my bike in Pune for a year and Bangalore for 2 years. Have got my bike serviced in 2 SVC in Pune and 2, no 3 in Bangalore. Now if you say that the it depends on the SVC, so who has the time to find a good SVC?? You ultimately have to give your bike at all the SVCs atleast once. By the time you are fed-up, you conclude none are better.

Other manufacturers would also have the same issues, but they have an escalation process and adhere to it. What about Yamaha? I have written that in my first post (in brief). If I come to explain what behavior they have, My blood boils.

Search mouthshut.com about Yamaha SVCs
Well I know you had a bad experience with yamaha and neither am I defending yamaha. All I know is I had faced a similar issue with my bikes swing arm bushe's greasing. As soon as I complained I got a really good response from yamaha, which again is a dealer and sub-dealer experience.And about finding a good svc, fellow biker have helped me a lot. You really can't help it in a country like ours we have to try the trial and error method. Otherwise find a good mech outside after free services go to him. You always can buy original spares from the yamaha dealer. My cousin does this for his dazzler.
Anyway as you said you found a good mech, so lets hope for the best now.
All the best
Old 19th September 2013, 01:33   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Well I know you had a bad experience with yamaha and neither am I defending yamaha. All I know is I had faced a similar issue with my bikes swing arm bushe's greasing. As soon as I complained I got a really good response from yamaha, which again is a dealer and sub-dealer experience.And about finding a good svc, fellow biker have helped me a lot. You really can't help it in a country like ours we have to try the trial and error method. Otherwise find a good mech outside after free services go to him. You always can buy original spares from the yamaha dealer. My cousin does this for his dazzler.
Anyway as you said you found a good mech, so lets hope for the best now.
All the best
Thanks, you seem to be getting the point.

The general process is - Unhappy with the service, lodge a complaint with Yamaha, they will again forward the complaint to the same dealer
Now, if the dealer has goofed-up in something, they cover up.
If you already showed your displeasure to the dealer, how will the dealer really want to help you.
The close the complaint after 5 working days without even checking with you - Default process.
Yamaha should not leave the onus on the dealer, they should be following up on the case by themselves.
Old 19th September 2013, 01:45   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks, you seem to be getting the point.

The general process is - Unhappy with the service, lodge a complaint with Yamaha, they will again forward the complaint to the same dealer
Now, if the dealer has goofed-up in something, they cover up.
If you already showed your displeasure to the dealer, how will the dealer really want to help you.
The close the complaint after 5 working days without even checking with you - Default process.
Yamaha should not leave the onus on the dealer, they should be following up on the case by themselves.
Well in my case I received a call from the wakdewadi factory outlet to get work
Done from them. Upon my insistence due to convienience I was allowed to get the work
Done at monarch yamaha. I had lodged a complaint againsts monarchs sub dealer-
Phadke yamaha. It's high time yamaha's regional offices look into complaints directly. I don't think apart from minor face lifts and introducing new colours yamaha is doing anything great for now. Even if you can not give us technologically advanced products atleast give us a
Good after sales service.
Old 19th September 2013, 11:08   #28
BHPian

Mine is Jan-2012 FZ-16.
I bought this from the wakdewadi factory outlet.

Everything is fine except one irritating sound from front hub or racer ...i m not sure.
That sound like if the racer is loose. I have complained and they rectified it by tighten the racer (may be). But after 2-3 days the sound back again when the bike goes through any pothole.

I am not sure but it seems to be a manufacturing defect with my bike.

Anyone have the same issue?
How can I permanently rectify this?
Old 19th September 2013, 13:44   #29
BHPian

|finneyp| if you are in the market for a motorcycle & your height permits you, you should try the Apache. TVS experience will be better as per my friends, so going for Yamaha would only be for fans of the Yamaha brand (or if your height rules out Apache).

At the same price point as the Unicorn/Pulsar (so, price less than FZ), you get the RTR 160 which has healthier performance numbers with the same weight, F.E & complete switchgear as FZ (Unicorn is heavier).
Old 19th September 2013, 18:29   #30
BHPian

I own an FZ16. My inputs to your thread:

The FZS has a notoriously sensitive rear tyre. Running at lower than recomended pressure will cause wear along the sides rather than the middle. Observed on many FZs running around. User/rider problem, not a bike problem.

Spark plugs are wear items. With usage the insulation breaks down and causes misfiring. I know from experience.

Yamaha service stations are almost all rubbish! I personally have had a bad experience with Orion just as you. Of a long list of complaints, they only serviced the bike after keeping it for 2 days! And a failed brake light bulb was not even noticed by them. When I did, they tried to pass off a lower wattage bulb, telling me that it is the correct type!

Another example: The dealer not having stock of essential parts like the brake pads or sprockets. I finally bought these at a local shop and got a small discount too!

Worst experience so far: Both the tyres needed to be changed. The front was worn out and the rear was cracked along the shoulder. The rear tyre is just not stock anywhere! I asked many tyre dealers and yamaha dealers. They all said that they couldn't help me. So I wrote to Yamaha complaining about the situation. They replied after more than a week asking for my contact details and the bike's VIN to process my complaint. By then I had replaced the tyres with a stock front and an R15 V2.0 rear at an MRF dealer and I didn't even bother to reply to them. I had realised that they wouldn't be of any help.

I have found my bike generally trouble-free in nearly 4 years of ownership with the only major complaint being fuel consumption. No regrets about choosing the FZ16. But I have nothing good to say about any of the dealers' service or about Yamaha India. They both treat customers badly and behave like they are selling a comodity. I am glad that the bike is good by design (maybe Japanese). If Yamaha India had designed the bike themselves, the whole experience of owning such a bike would be orders of magnitude worse.

End of rant!
Motard_Blr is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed