Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2013, 21:21   #16
BHPian

Re: My Flamberge (KTM Duke 390) Ownership report - A middle aged man's perspective

Hey Sridhu, Congrats for your new ride
Wishing many a miles on your fantastic machine. I am glad your wife was okay with the ride. Mine is still killing me for booking a "single-seater" bike

Headlight beam can be adjusted, I think you can get it done in servicing. Are you planning any mods / accessories for the bike? Bulb replacements needed for this ride?
Bazinga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2013, 22:30   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Flamberge (KTM Duke 390) Ownership report - A middle aged man's perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Congrats sridhu on joining the middle aged riders gang... lolz. I too am a member of the same. So you finally made it! Your gear looks neat. Kindly share the costing details and the source if possible. I am looking for all three of the above especially the helmet in jet black.

What you got is the best bang for your buck (cc wise) presently in India. Though I do not agree with your Harley views and you know why. What the Duke lacked for me was just the soul. So the 'poseur' it was.

I wish you many many years of riding happiness with it but I have an inkling you will outlive it pretty soon...
Plus 100 to what Dheeraj sir says! Harley's are not "just" for "poseur". Its a different discussion altogether. Two bikes in different leagues altogether and could spark off a different off-topic/needless debate out here.

Again - I say this for you know why! :P (No offense me ants Sridhu sir)

And plus 100 to "you will outlive it very soon". Though I am not a master in riding - I have kinda outgrown the 200. But as long as you live in it.. Its one helluva awesome machine! (200 and 390).

Cheerz Sridhu!
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2013, 08:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Sridhu. Nice review of your initial impressions there. Wishing you many happy miles on this one.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2013, 09:22   #19
Senior - BHPian

@Bazinga: not too many accessories & very few mods.

If I get /or can fashion a carrier that goes beyond the pillion & I get A nice top box with angular lines, will go for it.

Better horn, certainly. The lights may be fine. At best I will uprate it: no new lights.

Helmet storage has to be figured out.

The bike can't be used for commuting if you wear business casuals - the shoes hey ruined.

Will buy ankle high sidi boots & riding pants off I find something that fits. Else bionic knee pads from spartan. Have got a backpack water dispenser.

Might buy a tank camera bag

Bigger windshield.

<and the man says "not many accessories!" >

Re the wife:she is also cribbing but has accepted it as some Prof she met in training had already told her "your husband is pulling a fast one - pillion riding is impossible on that bike". Apparently he owns done 18 bikes, so she was prepared.
Old 10th October 2013, 09:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Better horn, certainly. The lights may be fine. At best I will uprate it: no new lights. Helmet storage has to be figured out.

Will buy ankle high sidi boots & riding pants off I find something that fits.
Sridhu, you can upgrade the headlamp bulbs to Philips Xtreme Visions. They are available in stock rating and provide excellent light output in terms of brightness and throw.

For helmet storage, please check under the pillion seat. There might be some hooks where you can attach the strap or buckle and lock the seat with the helmet in place.

Regarding boots, please buy full length boots. Ankle length ones offer minimal protection. Touring boots are super comfy. Spartan pants are highly recommended from my experience.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2013, 09:47   #21
BHPian

@Sridhu! AWESOME REPORT! This can be renamed to the official Duke 390 thread :-) - I am tempted to redo my report from scratch.

There is no such thing as middle-aged rider - We are all riders!

I wish you tons of fun on this bike. I am seeing more D390s delivered, and this is going to be a cult bike for sure.

You can set the RPM for gear shifter yourself. It is quite easy - Btw, I also changed the km - miles accidentally, and I was feeling I was going quite fast and the bike was showing 66 or something like that! Then I realized it was miles

Keep riding!
sriramv.iyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2013, 10:51   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post

Regarding boots, please buy full length boots. Ankle length ones offer minimal protection. Touring boots are super comfy.
+1 to what Adi says, would recommend you to buy the Sidi Fusion range which are sports tourer and offers you the best of both worlds.
Ankle Length boots are fine for city rides but for the highways would always suggest the full length ones.

Do have a look at Cramster & Spartan for the pants, both are good VFM Options.
Old 10th October 2013, 11:21   #23
BHPian

Quote:
@Bazinga: not too many accessories & very few mods.

If I get /or can fashion a carrier that goes beyond the pillion & I get A nice top box with angular lines, will go for it.

Better horn, certainly. The lights may be fine. At best I will uprate it: no new lights.

Helmet storage has to be figured out.

The bike can't be used for commuting if you wear business casuals - the shoes hey ruined.

Will buy ankle high sidi boots & riding pants off I find something that fits. Else bionic knee pads from spartan. Have got a backpack water dispenser.

Might buy a tank camera bag

Bigger windshield.

<and the man says "not many accessories!" >

Re the wife:she is also cribbing but has accepted it as some Prof she met in training had already told her "your husband is pulling a fast one - pillion riding is impossible on that bike". Apparently he owns done 18 bikes, so she was prepared.
Lights / Helmet lock / carrier / horn / riding boots
Mate you did not leave anything. Do post pics as and when you get them.

Wife has silently resigned to the fact that this bike is for me only and me has promised to take her and kid out more often in car and active to make up for the lost rides
Bazinga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2013, 19:56   #24

Thank you for the pics and the experience ! I would like to know one thing though.
Does the 390, or even the 200 come with a kickrod?
Also, are the stock handles good enough, or is there space for clip-ons ?
Old 11th October 2013, 06:57   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achekay View Post
Thank you for the pics and the experience ! I would like to know one thing though.
Does the 390, or even the 200 come with a kickrod?
Also, are the stock handles good enough, or is there space for clip-ons ?
The 390 does not have a kick starter.

The handles are a tad wide but otherwise comfortable. I don't think you can install clip ons. Will foul on the tank shrouds.
Old 11th October 2013, 07:25   #26
Senior - BHPian

The only way to start if button start fails is to push the bike in 3rd or 4th gear.

And handle bar could have been tad wider and the grips a lot softer.

Will definitely change the handle bars
Old 11th October 2013, 08:37   #27
Senior - BHPian

Flamberge crossed a ton today:

Where it happend:

My Flamberge (KTM Duke 390) Ownership report - A middle aged man's perspective-forumrunner_20131011_083552.jpg

& who made it happen!

My Flamberge (KTM Duke 390) Ownership report - A middle aged man's perspective-forumrunner_20131011_083628.jpg

Also got the number plate done. Went with the front plate on the mudguard & removed the head plate. Always found it an eyesore.

PS: Is it legal?

Set the RPM1 & RMP2 to 5000 & 7500 respectively. Easy enough to do; still miffed that the dealership did not.

Also, I almost did not live to see the ton.. On the joy ride this morning, was motoring along at around 70 with a bus on the right lane about 10 metres ahead. Being a BMTC bus, he decided to turn left suddenly, with no indication or anything. (I am pretty sure I was not in his blind spot).

I am happy to report that the Flamberge's brakes work and the ABS works as advertised. That is 2 lakhs spent well. On a Bullet, I would have severely damaged the bus!

Last edited by sridhu : 11th October 2013 at 09:05.
sridhu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 10:25   #28
Senior - BHPian

Sridhu,
You are brake to do this ride in shorts. This heat machine is the last thing i would ride in shorts.

Did the mud guard in the front came with that white paint??

Oops..saw your post on Number plate being done. Got it
Old 11th October 2013, 10:31   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Flamberge crossed a ton today:

Where it happend:

Attachment 1151282
Electronic city Fly over?? Congrats on the Ton mark sir. Good to see a biker being born again and that too with what a machine!! And the SOL is matching quite well with the theme of the bike! I have the same Dragon In Black. And repeating again the much abused question. How is it feeling in the Bangalore traffic? Especially the heat.

Ride on, Ride safe. Waiting for more ownership experience from your side.
Old 11th October 2013, 10:52   #30
BHPian

Even I have my number plate on the small visor as I did not want to put it on the body. I agree that the stock number plate is an eye sore! Not sure if it's legal although it is quite legible!

On a lighter note, all the pictures of the gear in the opening post and we see you here in Tshirt and Shorts!?
Added_flavor is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks