Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2013, 12:10   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Flamberge (KTM Duke 390) Ownership report - A middle aged man's perspective

Man I would never ever ride in shorts bro. Its a little self defeating to be wearing full gauntlet gloves, while you have many square centimeters of fresh unbroken skin (and subcutaneous blood vessels) nicely exposed on your lower extremities.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 12:39   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Flamberge (KTM Duke 390) Ownership report - A middle aged man's perspective

Quote:
while you have many square centimeters of fresh unbroken skin (and subcutaneous blood vessels) nicely exposed on your lower extremities
Not just injuries, the heat will toast the skin. As someone pointed, showing the gears in the first thread and not using just beats me as well.

Unless its the corner store ride to get some snacks, shorts is a big no-no
Old 11th October 2013, 14:51   #33
Senior - BHPian

Mea culpa guys. Cut me some slack. :-)

Went riding basically to hit the ton.

Gloves basically cause my hand pains.
Old 11th October 2013, 15:29   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Went riding basically to hit the ton.
Ton as in kmph or mph?

Quote:
Gloves basically cause my hand pains.
Pains a whole lot more and for longer without them. Also remember, at our age, the healing takes longer.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 15:35   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mea culpa guys. Cut me some slack. :-)
I drive everyday to my Tennis Courts in shorts. Imagine doing that with a Harley engine sitting under you. Zero issues since the last one month. Though its only a short 1km ride. Many things are unwritten and non conformed. More important is to take that right precaution in your 'mind'.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 15:46   #36
Senior - BHPian

Sorry folks: What I meant was I use gloves because my hands ache otherwise.
Old 11th October 2013, 16:02   #37
Senior - BHPian

Riding a duchess huh?

;P

Congratulations on the bike. Good to see that you didn't go the RE way. Anyone who has been asking me has been given the same advise - stay away from the RE. Not worth it IMAO.
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 17:20   #38
Senior - BHPian

The issue with the palm pain is actually not due to the grips but due to the clutch lever. Its insanely positioned far from the handle and someone with short fingers will have a tough time getting used to it.

Who ever designs these bikes may actually dont even have a license to ride one or have no clue about actual riding.

The best level i found was in Fz series. On close inspection these grips, wires and cables are completely replaceable.
Old 12th October 2013, 10:22   #39
Senior - BHPian

Update:

Took Flamberge out for a decent spin (60-65 km) today. I strongly recommend the Sarjapur-Attibele-Silk board circuit when you are running in the bike. You can hit reasonable speeds while being forced to keep varying the rpm. Even on the NH, since it is close to the city & there are enough idiots on the road, you cannot leave it at a constant rpm. Hence should help the running-in.

The entire ride took about an hour (45 min riding & 15 wasted in level crossings, gas etc). The bike was composed for the most part; no fuss, no drama. On 3-4 occasions though, I could feel the rear sliding out. I was not feeding it too much torque, from what I remember. Dunno if it is a factor of the power or maybe I was leaning to one side.

Others, please do let me know if it happens to you guys too.

Other than that, the wind buffeting after 120 makes it impossible to push it beyond 120. In 6th, the bike lugs below 70 kmph.

(Doc: I just saw your Q; what I meant was I had completed riding 100 km on the bike. Incidentally, yesterday is the first time I went over 100 kmph too. I have not pushed it beyond 7000 rpm or 120 kmph still)

Question:Riding the bike 'by sound', I rarely go beyond 5000-6000 RPM before shifting up. I hear people say the bike rides best after 7000 RPM & anyway the peak power is at 7500. So, the question is, am I riding the bike wrong?

Another question: Is there any benefit to using Shell Super Unleaded on the bike? Personally, I think not but wanted to ask the experts. More importantly, is there any harm?

I topped up Flamberge again today with the said Super. I had done 165 Km & put in roughly 9 lts. So, I get an average mileage (Shouldn't it be kilometerage? ) of about 18.5 kmpl. Not quite the advertised 33 but this is mostly in city.

Since you guys gave me so much grief yesterday, I wore the full kit for today's ride - helmet, gloves & jacket.

Impressions below.

Helmet

I whole heartedly recommend this helmet. At speeds, there is wind noise & in some instances, whistling. But nothing unbearable. Even in the city, I could close the visor down without feeling too hot as the vents were open. Only niggle is that when I force my head in, the snap buttons on the liner some times give way & come off. Should have listened to mum - big hearted is better than big headed!

So, 9/10 for the helmet.

Jacket

The lady @ Lets gear up kept saying "You will feel comfortable with this mesh jacket". I ignored it as general sales spiel. I have been using my leather jacket for the office commute as it (a) looks cooler & (b) I thought it will feel cooler.

This AGV Sportz jacket feels like I am not wearing a jacket at all. (I mean that in a good way). I think I should use this jacket for the city; will be much more comfortable & would encourage ATGATT!

As of now, after a 60 km ride, I dont see anything wrong with the jacket and plenty right with it.

7/10 on the Jacket

Pants

Just an update: I checked out these Spartan pants yesterday at BikingSpirit. The fit is pretty good but since it is waterproof, pretty suffocating. It also has this weird leatherish patch on the buttocks. DOes the seam cause grief when you ride for longish times?

Basically any opinions from real users on these?

Gloves

Despite the seam issue on the left hand, the gloves are pretty good. The venting works on the highway (not in the city. At least, not so that you can feel it). The store has agreed to replace the pair; so I am pretty happy.

6.5/10 on the gloves. Could be better made.

Some Answers:

@VW2010: I think you are correct in your assessment that the clutch spacing is the culprit.
In a short while, you are going to compete with the KTM design team in coming up with the Duke 390 Sports, the rate at which you are modding the bike!

@Added_flavor & @VW2010: Out of the 3 pieces of gear I showed, I was using 2 when you guys roasted me. 2 out of 3 aint too shabby, no?

@Doc: It was 100 km & 100 kmph.

@dkaile: Agree with you on using the head as the main safety element!

@vaibhav amlekar & @naveenroy: Let me get a drink & lets have you folks go at it on the RE vs 390 debate!

@man_of_steel: On the HSR flyover, near the big Hanuman.

Dealer Update

Yesterday, I got the mudflap fixed. The coolant was also spraying on the tank. Got that checked too. The service engineer said he has replaced the O ring & the cap. No hand guards yet.

Had a long discussion with Mohammed, the manager at BTM KTM. He was surprisingly available, not having gone to head office. Still no break up for the 213k. (I think it is roughly correct but his reluctance to break it is raising red flags in my mind). He also showed a couple line items (on some rough paper; not on any receipt/ invoice) listing Rs. 150 for NSC & 650 for some Teflon coating. He neither had the NSC nor was he willing to give a receipt for the Teflon coating.

I told him that what he is doing is illegal - the NSC belongs to me & he has no business charging me for it if he has not purchased it. I honestly think the dealers are pocketing this amount even though the NSC purchase used to be mandated by law. (Is it still?)
The other think I told him was that if he as done the coating, he has to give me a receipt like any other accessory. Basically told him that I see no sign that the bike has indeed been teflon coated & if a truck runs over him, where is the proof that the bike has indeed been coated?

Ran out of time & hence the matter is open still.

That's the update after the first longish ride. Now, I am trying to hit the 1000km mark so that I can be done with the running-in.

Last edited by sridhu : 12th October 2013 at 10:29.
Old 12th October 2013, 10:59   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On 3-4 occasions though, I could feel the rear sliding out. I was not feeding it too much torque, from what I remember. Dunno if it is a factor of the power or maybe I was leaning to one side.

Others, please do let me know if it happens to you guys too.
The Sportecs do that when they are new (small but perceptible slides under power, usually leaned over). Their break-in and when-new feel and feedback is very different to the Revz.

Quote:
I topped up Flamberge again today with the said Super. I had done 165 Km & put in roughly 9 lts. So, I get an average mileage (Shouldn't it be kilometerage? ) of about 18.5 kmpl. Not quite the advertised 33 but this is mostly in city.
Tankful to tankful, the highest I managed was around 28 and the lowest 22, with a median more often than not of 25. Don't know who is advertizing 33.

Quote:
It also has this weird leatherish patch on the buttocks. DOes the seam cause grief when you ride for longish times?
If I had to choose, I would buy pants over boots. The weird patch on the bum is because that is where the pants tend to wear out and also that is what usually rubs on the tarmac when you come off and are sliding. My pants also have some padding there to help with saddle sore.

Quote:
@VW2010: I think you are correct in your assessment that the clutch spacing is the culprit.
I don't think the spacing is any diferent to the 200. The clutch pull is significantly harder though. Understandable for the amount of torque the clutch has to transmit. I don't know the technicalities but I am pretty sure there are more plates, and harder springs, compared to the 200's clutch, which is butter soft in comparison.

Quote:
@Added_flavor & @VW2010: Out of the 3 pieces of gear I showed, I was using 2 when you guys roasted me. 2 out of 3 aint too shabby, no?
I am sure the enthusiasm for that assessment would not be reciprocated by your legs in all their beach-bum glory!

Quote:
Basically told him that I see no sign that the bike has indeed been teflon coated & if a truck runs over him, where is the proof that the bike has indeed been coated?
Cranky anal retentive middle aged guys are the stuff of nightmares for dealerships and service stations the world over. Universal fact! LOL

Last edited by ebonho : 12th October 2013 at 11:01.
Old 12th October 2013, 11:23   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

The Sportecs do that when they are new (small but perceptible slides under power, usually leaned over). Their break-in and when-new feel and feedback is very different to the Revz.

Tankful to tankful, the highest I managed was around 28 and the lowest 22, with a median more often than not of 25. Don't know who is advertizing 33.

If I had to choose, I would buy pants over boots. The weird patch on the bum is because that is where the pants tend to wear out and also that is what usually rubs on the tarmac when you come off and are sliding. My pants also have some padding there to help with saddle sore.

I don't think the spacing is any diferent to the 200. The clutch pull is significantly harder though. Understandable for the amount of torque the clutch has to transmit. I don't know the technicalities but I am pretty sure there are more plates, and harder springs, compared to the 200's clutch, which is butter soft in comparison.

I am sure the enthusiasm for that assessment would not be reciprocated by your legs in all their beach-bum glory!

Cranky anal retentive middle aged guys are the stuff of nightmares for dealerships and service stations the world over. Universal fact! LOL
Thanks for clarifying that re tyres & pants doc.

I have no reference for the clutch pull. Last bike I rode was a Bullet 3 years ago.

Your observation on cranky middle aged guys (CMAGs) is spot on. The guy has pissed me off & shall suffer!
Old 14th October 2013, 15:32   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there any benefit to using Shell Super Unleaded on the bike? Personally, I think not but wanted to ask the experts. More importantly, is there any harm?
No harm in using Shell Super Unleaded, but just a waste of money. It's the same as unleaded fuel but with additives. No real world performance difference if you ask me. Stick with normal unleaded from Shell or any other trusted bunk.

Quote:
I checked out these Spartan pants yesterday at BikingSpirit. The fit is pretty good but since it is waterproof, pretty suffocating. It also has this weird leatherish patch on the buttocks. DOes the seam cause grief when you ride for longish times? Basically any opinions from real users on these?
I have these pants and have used them quite a bit. I don't find them uncomfortable or suffocating. I dont wear a pair of pajamas inside so no claustrophobia as well

The leather patch is a blessing since it provides longer life to the pants. I can't recollect how many pairs of denims I have destroyed this way. Another plus is that this patch will provide much needed traction on the seat under hard braking. Here is a more detailed review on these pants.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 12:18   #43
BHPian

Thanks for this awesome story! Stories like these (and those from other Duke 390 owners on the forum) made me pay more attention to my 2002 bike - 1st gen Pulsar 180. It had been lying neglected for almost close to 7 years (since my marriage). After reading your story, I took her for repairs. A little washing, a little pampering, and she is back to her glory days, back to being part of my love story. A Duke 390 might join her a little while later, but I know realize that bikes do love you back. One last imp. question - how did you convince your wife to let you buy the Duke?
nishsingh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 15:50   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishsingh View Post
One last imp. question - how did you convince your wife to let you buy the Duke?
Easy. She just got herself some diamond stuff.

Way to go with the Pulsar.
sridhu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 10:45   #45
Senior - BHPian

Couple of quick updates/ observations

(Mods, dont know how to merge this with the earlier post yesterday)

- Hit 350 km; based on the generic advice on TBHP, thought it prudent to change the oil. Cost me a bomb - 1800 for an oil change; about 1500 for the oil itself. They break open a 2 lit bottle & give you back 500 ml. Go prepared. Dont really notice any change in sound/ smoothness. Probably I am being too careful.

- The service guy told that the no oil need be changed at 1000; only at 5000 km.

- I am having a cold start issue. How ever long I crank, nothing happens. Have tried a lot of things; dont know what exactly makes it work but it catches suddenly. Current superstition is to switch off & back on the engine kill switch after cranking 2-3 times to make the engine start.
The problem has started only the last 3 days. The service guy told me it is because some thingamabob to do with decompression has to get properly worn . Sound OK to you guys?

- The MFD is behaving slightly weirdly - was showing 72km to refill. I started the bike and killed the engine (with the switch) by mistake. Immediately after that the low fuel light came on. Parked the bike at home for 2 hours (watching the match. Whate match!) and came back to fill gas, the low fuel warning did not come on! Was showing about 1 bar over the reserve. This morning the low fuel warning came on after riding about 5 kms.
I did about 250 km before I refueled and put in 10 lt approximately. So. this morning's indication seems to be fine. Basically think it is some intermediate state that the MFD logic got caught in when i killed the engine immediately after starting. (Remember that somebody else had a similar problem. Just wanted to tell that person to not to worry!)

- The distance to empty is basically not much use. It is # of bars multiplied by FE. It does not change by consumption or distance but abruptly when the fuel drops below the bar. Did not know this before. SO, thought will tell other folks.

- Is there any way to put 2 items that we want on the secondary display? DOnt think so but thought I will ask.
Right now, if I understand the manual, we have a fixed choice of the order & what can come up and there is no way to configure what we want. Eg, I want Avg Speed & Avg FE to show simultaneously. There is no way to get only those 2 bits of information to show up. No big deal but seems such a simple thing to provide!

Most Viewed