Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2013, 11:49   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Flamberge (KTM Duke 390) Ownership report - A middle aged man's perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Question for you tourers: When I went through fog near Hosur, my visor got misted up completely. Being from a photography background, I am paranoid about just wiping off the damn thing with my gloves (scratches!). How do you guys handle it? Just wipe it off would be my guess.
Ride with the visor up. In emergencies, you use the edge of the index finger of the glove. Most gloves will either have a straight seam or even fabric there. Acts like a windshield wiper. But at the next pull over, clean the visor properly with tissue or newspaper. Rubbin tobacco over visors also revents them from misting up. As good as those antifog fancy solutions. Sadly I don't smoke anymore.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2013, 12:13   #77
Senior - BHPian

Few things I do is slightly open the visor and let the temperature difference between outside and inside stay almost minimal. Very mildly say a cm or two which is enough.

Secondly wash the visor than using a cloth. Carry those micro fibre only for visor.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2013, 19:27   #78
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Flamberge (KTM Duke 390) Ownership report - A middle aged man's perspective

Went on a good 200 km ride on the Duke this morning - all the way to Kaveripattinam & back. Averaged about 80 kmph.

The back roads to Hosur are a pleasure to drive on, but for a couple of really bad spots.

The bike is a dream to ride - Could hit & hold a 140 kmph. But it desperately needs a windshield; the wind buffeting after 120 is something ferocious.

The ride did nothing to change my opinion that we Indians are pathologically incapable of piloting motor vehicles! Idiots on the road make the ride, ummm, interesting!

The other issue is that while the bike itself is very capable, the roads remain dangerous. The odd pothole is fine, the most dangerous bits are uneven surfaces & unmarked speed bumps. Above a 100, the front end wiggles very easily if you take off of an unevenness and land on unevenness. SO, it is best to avoid the temptation to open it up.

I can endorse whole heartedly that the bike can be used for touring. Just be sensible about it.

Just 100km before it is due for the first service!
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2013, 20:30   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The other issue is that while the bike itself is very capable, the roads remain dangerous. The odd pothole is fine, the most dangerous bits are uneven surfaces & unmarked speed bumps. Above a 100, the front end wiggles very easily if you take off of an unevenness and land on unevenness. SO, it is best to avoid the temptation to open it
I repeat what i said in another thread. The bike is superbly capable. One needs a good jacket, a closed helmet, gloves and a good visor where you can hide yourself and enjoy the speed.

But most important thing is to know about the roads before doing anything over 100-120. 100 is still find knowing you can slow down in case of bad roads but at 140 your decision making has to be so fast that you are prone to mistiming. Not worth it.

Great to hear your rides Sridhu.
Old 3rd November 2013, 21:54   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The bike is a dream to ride - Could hit & hold a 140 kmph. But it desperately needs a windshield; the wind buffeting after 120 is something ferocious.
One of our bhpian in bangalore has got the MRA windscreen, had a peek at it in our short ride on Friday, i will check with him and message you. it was looking really good and i personally did not feel it out of the place on the bike. You should take a look into it.
OT: Hope you remember me, we met in let's gear up couple of weeks ago.
Old 4th November 2013, 08:16   #81
Senior - BHPian

@rk_sans: of course i remember you, Santosh.

Have gotten in touch with JV Promoto for the MRA. Hopefully will get it soon.
Old 4th November 2013, 09:51   #82
Senior - BHPian

Which MRA are you getting?

I saw a host of naked bike fittings in that site. The RNB looks too narrow and i was also looking at the V-Flow either o or Z.
Old 4th November 2013, 10:47   #83
BHPian

Quote:
@rk_sans: of course i remember you, Santosh.

Have gotten in touch with JV Promoto for the MRA. Hopefully will get it soon.
Once you get the screen, please post review of windscreen here. I am eagerly looking at them myself.
Old 4th November 2013, 10:50   #84
Senior - BHPian

@VW2010: The RNB or the z bottom V-flow. JV Promoto will confirm today based on what is in the container. Check out the x-bhp post on the RNB on the D200. It is not bad at all. Needs a bit of an angle.

@hsub: sure. In the meantime, you can have a look at this review on xbhp. (same one I have referred VW2010 to)

Last edited by sridhu : 4th November 2013 at 10:52.
Old 4th November 2013, 11:46   #85
Senior - BHPian

Here is the pic of the windscreen. Photo from my friend's FB post. His handle in tbhp is "niranjanrvce"
Attached Thumbnails
My Flamberge (KTM Duke 390) Ownership report - A middle aged man's perspective-duke-390.jpg  

rk_sans is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2013, 12:28   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Here is the pic of the windscreen. Photo from my friend's FB post. His handle in tbhp is "niranjanrvce"
Santosh believe Niranjan has already posted it on the Team BHP in the KTM Launch Section.

Posts 1039 & 1049 make some good reading material. Believe he is penning a detailed review on them.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3280815
Old 5th November 2013, 13:41   #87
Senior - BHPian

Folks

Finally hit the 1000 km mark!

Taking it for service. Is there anything I should be asking/ checking during the service?

I have a complaints list, mostly minor:
- Fuel gauge is very unreliable.Drops from 1/2 tank to zero after parking. Think this is a bug & not 'just how it works'
- There is a very gravely noise when I throttle down (any gear). Think this is my paranoia.
- CHain slap

Otherwise, no other issues.
Old 8th November 2013, 13:54   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Folks

Finally hit the 1000 km mark!

Taking it for service. Is there anything I should be asking/ checking during the service?

I have a complaints list, mostly minor:
- Fuel gauge is very unreliable.Drops from 1/2 tank to zero after parking. Think this is a bug & not 'just how it works'
- There is a very gravely noise when I throttle down (any gear). Think this is my paranoia.
- CHain slap

Otherwise, no other issues.
Gravel noise from the engine? something similar to piston slap for worn out rings? I heard similar sound from a brand new CBR250 and was surprised as it sounded(only the engine, not the exhaust ) like my RX100 after it has done 40k+. It would help if the 390D owners could post sound clips of their bikes at various RPM and running in duration for comparison.
Old 8th November 2013, 14:39   #89
Senior - BHPian

@gharika: think it is more some panel vibrating rather than from the engine itself. It sounds gravely.
Old 9th November 2013, 13:29   #90
Senior - BHPian

First service update :

Total damages 1250. I had 0.5 lt of the motul left from the 300km oil replacement.

Fixed the fuel gauge & chain slap.

Bike sounds more relaxed. They have reset RPM 1&2 to 12500. Anybody know what the correct values are so that I can set them? (thanks)

The rear brake has died - apparently the effect of a diesel wash, whatever that is.

On the whole, reasonably satisfied
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed