Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2020, 22:06   #541
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Happy 7th Birthday Amun-Ra

Below are some of the Snaps of the small gift I procurred to honor this day.

New Seat assembly from the showroom (Both 350 and 500 has the same seat assembly)

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-new-seat.jpg

Refitted the old 500 Backrest

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-new-seat-backrest.jpg

A closer look, for the interested soul. Yes I have misplaced those black rubber plugs and I wonder if just those two are available now.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-backrest-fitting-closeup.jpg

The old retro feeling

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-old-retro-feeling.jpg

Happy Birthday Amun-Ra

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-happy-birthday.jpg

The only thing, If I could change is the back logo on the seat, but I understand that is probably not possible now any more. I still love the old Royal Enfield scribe. An idea that came to my mind is to tear from the old seat the relevant section and then with the help of a cobbler, have that section pasted, but guess that would look more of an eye sore!

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-new-logo-nah.jpg

Anyways, Amun-Ra, thank you for all the time we spent together and the moments we will cherish together. Take care and stay Bullet.
Majumdarda is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 13:20   #542
BHPian

Just bought a 2017 Standard 500. Looking for advice on performance upgrades (spark plugs, filter), exhaust to give a louder, deeper thump and replacing the seat (which is worn). Thanks ��
Proxima is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 16:31   #543
Senior - BHPian

Stock seat can be obtained from the dealership. Silencer modification is not advisable since these are not RTO approved. Even for the ones that are sold at the RE service centers.
Majumdarda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 14:37   #544
Senior - BHPian

Made use of the Waxpol at home and the initial reflection is satisfactory. Next in line would be to get the Waxpol Compound for my Pulsar's petrol tank.

The engine chamber has lost the shine. I have procured one tube of Autosol Metal Polish; but seems I would have to get a buffing machine for those rigorous rubs. Did try on a small portion and the results were satisfactory, but for that "exquisite reflectiveness" I think a machine is needed.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img20210807180839.jpg

Not sure why, but the place where the front disk brake fluid is stored, the cover seems to be rotting off. I do not know the name of that piece of machinery, but it seems that the cover is slowly rotting away. I did check with the local RE SC and their response was that "just the cover is not available. I would be required to change the complete assembly"
The alternate solution suggested was to get one from any old bullet. How a ridiculous update that can be, and that too from a RE authorized SC. I opened my Pulsar's and visibly it seems to be of the same proportions.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img20210807180745.jpg
  1. Why is this happening on my Amun-Ra but not with the Pulsar? Servicing is done at trusted location.
  2. What is the name of this cover?
  3. Do all two-wheelers have the same cover dimension? In other words, can I procure a pulsar cover and have that fitted for my Bullet?
  4. Did anybody fix such an issue in past?
Old 11th August 2021, 15:35   #545
BHPian

Quote:
  1. Why is this happening on my Amun-Ra but not with the Pulsar? Servicing is done at trusted location.
  2. What is the name of this cover?
  3. Do all two-wheelers have the same cover dimension? In other words, can I procure a pulsar cover and have that fitted for my Bullet?
  4. Did anybody fix such an issue in past?
It is called the 'front reservoir cap'. I know that RE at least sells this as an accessory (just the cap) https://www.royalenfield.com/in/en/gma/1990652/. This isn't the original factory-fitted one though. Just an expensive vanity accessory for the bike.

It is surprising that only the cover has the issue, the reservoir itself doesn't seem to have any marks or damage. It almost seems as if just the reservoir cap was exposed to some corrosive fluid (perhaps the brake fluid).

I think the reservoir cap from the pulsar should fit. Both have brakes from ByBRE if I'm not mistaken so I assume the parts should be interchangable.

https://www.99rpm.com/bajaj/front-ma...-180f-bs6.html (the 3 components under 'Cover' are the ones you probably want i.e. the cap + the diaphragm + the 2 screws).

PS: Your thread is one of the main reasons I bought my Bullet 500 4 years back. I've wanted to thank you for that for a long time!
JoeTheWanderer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 16:39   #546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheWanderer View Post
PS: Your thread is one of the main reasons I bought my Bullet 500 4 years back. I've wanted to thank you for that for a long time!
The pleasure is all mine, JoeTheWanderer. Glad to know that it had helped you made up your decision. I hope you are continuing riding your B500 still; mine have minimized a lot post we got the Kwid. And then the lockdown, literally rusted my bones. Not sure, when I will be able to overcome again, if at all. B500 is an excellent machine; A sense of pride in being able to own a piece of exquisite machinery, since it's no longer released in India.

Quote:
It is called the 'front reservoir cap'. I know that RE at least sells this as an accessory (just the cap) https://www.royalenfield.com/in/en/gma/1990652/. This isn't the original factory-fitted one though. Just an expensive vanity accessory for the bike.
Thank you for letting me know the name but the pricing is awesomely expensive. I will check with Bajaj's.

Quote:
It is surprising that only the cover has the issue, the reservoir itself doesn't seem to have any marks or damage. It almost seems as if just the reservoir cap was exposed to some corrosive fluid (perhaps the brake fluid).

I think the reservoir cap from the pulsar should fit. Both have brakes from ByBRE if I'm not mistaken so I assume the parts should be interchangable.

https://www.99rpm.com/bajaj/front-ma...-180f-bs6.html (the 3 components under 'Cover' are the ones you probably want i.e. the cap + the diaphragm + the 2 screws).
Guess what, since it's a Bullet section, I did not mention it earlier. But for a few days, I was observing that the Pulsar's front brakes were not getting engaged properly. In fact, the realization was from the starting of this year, during those times when I took her out for a ride. Today, I removed the screws (to see if that might fit with the Bullet), and guess what. There is no Brake oil in the chamber but some gel stuff. Apparently, the connector with the brake was missing (not sure how that happened) and thankfully the 18L tank did not get any of those oil touches!

Thank you for sharing the site details. I would now have to figure out how to search parts for my Pulsar 150 DTSi (2004 registered, single-seat, steel rims with spoke variant). This 2004 model has been craving for attention for long and since we have a genuine site, I would first gather the parts. (to start with would be the air filter )
Old 12th August 2021, 07:31   #547
BHPian

Quote:
The pleasure is all mine, JoeTheWanderer. Glad to know that it had helped you made up your decision. I hope you are continuing riding your B500 still; mine have minimized a lot post we got the Kwid. And then the lockdown, literally rusted my bones. Not sure, when I will be able to overcome again, if at all. B500 is an excellent machine; A sense of pride in being able to own a piece of exquisite machinery, since it's no longer released in India.
Oh I love it. In fact I think I got one of the last carbureted 500s - RE switched to EFI on the standard models as well soon after.

I have just started going out on rides again. I usually ride alone and pack a light snack that I eat when I find a nice secluded spot along the road.

To be honest, during the lockdown when I couldn't ride the bike I did have second thoughts - should I sell it and maybe get a new bike with less vibes & higher top speed, etc.

And then the lockdown was lifted in Telangana; I serviced the bike, went on a small weekend ride and gave up on the foolish idea of selling it.

I think it fits my riding style perfectly - cruising along at an easy 70 - 80 Km/h with enough power to overtake most vehicles. On top of that, since it lacks all the latest electronics that makes it possible for me to do the basic servicing at home fairly easily.

The bike has only troubled me once till now (with a busted ampmeter) that too when it was safely sitting in my old office's basement parking (so considerate ).

You're absolutely right - there is a sense of pride in owning this exquisite piece of history.
JoeTheWanderer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 07:44   #548
Senior - BHPian

Will suggest you to visit Nana Peth, I remember seeing an RE spare shop opposite Bombay scooter house.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 18:41   #549
Senior - BHPian

After much looking here and there, I ultimately managed a new cover from my trusted Bullet mechanic. It was lying unused with him.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-new-cover.jpg

He also showed me how the old brake-oil is removed. Since the one in Amun-Ra had never been flushed, he showed me the process as below
  • Clean the chamber completely with a clean cloth.
  • Fill some brake-oil and wait for it to slowly trickle down the pipe.
  • Then remove the small black plug and unscrew (very lightly though) so that the oil starts coming out.
  • One is expected to continue pressing the brake lever till the old oil (which was black in my case), gets replaced with the new one (the new one being colorless)
  • Tighten the screw and put back the plug.
  • Clean the area so that paint is not damaged.
  • Connect back the reservoir cap.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-plug.jpg
Old 8th January 2022, 21:58   #550
Senior - BHPian

Back after a century

The lack of proper servicing can lead to serious damages, both to the Vehicle as well as to the Owner. Nevertheless, we, the bullet owners are also at the mercy of knowledgeable technicians. No matter, how much confident we are about their respective capabilities, there definitely arises a situation, wherein you are forced to approach another technician and then get greeted with un-imaginable hidden issues, which becomes too risky to ignore. I am sure, many of us have gone through this and I am no exception.

Goes without saying that I was forced to approach another technician and the overall charges, let's say, will keep my bum pretty hot, for months at large. . But the servicing work performed on Amun-Ra is excellent and before it's too late, I will have to complete the other pending works as well; lest this gentleman goes untraceable too!

So what's next. Obviously a ride with my Bullet Buddies! And off we went to Winchur to taste the produce and spend some quality time on the hill tops. Amun-Ra was super smooth now, has that little ounce of juice that plays the deciding factor while performing overtaking on the rise. Throttle response is crisp, excellent to drive over the highways. The entire ride of 450 Kilometers was enjoyed thoroughly; Moreso since it's been ages I rode with the herd!

And here is where the pinch comes in. The dream that had once been forced to die, started to rise up again; the dream of a Leh-Ladakh road trip. Was discussed briefly with my better half and its a GO

With the tour timing usually around the June/July, time to get Amun-Ra geared up is not much. A couple of additions that have been included are as follows
  • BoBo mobile holder from the Amazon. I have opted for the plain vanilla version since was not sure about the quality and charging aspect. Verdict: Excellent grip, No damage to screen. I am using the scooter mount, although handle mount is provided in the box.
  • A comparatively taller handle bar from the Art of Motorcycle team. Verdict: There is no reduction to vibrations as many people say, but the posture is now more upright and gives Amun-Ra a more daunting look.
  • Thunderbird mirrors since the stock ones were just not able to capture the rear view properly. Verdict: Rear view is captured excellently, but there is no respite from the vibrations
  • BOLT mobile charger: This is yet to be fixed but the hardware has been procurred. I intend to perform a complete re-wiring of the electricals and while it will be performed, would request the technician if there is the possibility to have a couple of spare tap-able ignition points created as well. I have seen there are such fixtures by default with the KTM390.
  • Maddog Aux Light: This is something that is still being pondered upon since the investment (with harness etc) comes to a whopping 10k. But of course there are alternatives like HJG, but again considering the price difference, I need to do some research. If anyone has any experience with the fog lamps on Bullet, feel free to share please. Fog lamps for me are primarily for the trip, for just in case scenarios, only.
  • A back luggage carrier base has been ordered online from Amazon just a few minutes back. So the review of the same will be performed as well. This is primarily for the trip. After discussing in length with past riders, one thing is very clear, BRO has performed excellent work over there! Also, the amount of luggage one carries, typically the first-timers, get reduced to half if they do a trip again. This has prompted me to consider whether a saddle bag is indeed needed, or can the requisites be packed efficiently in a quality duffle bag + tank bag (I have this from Cramster, excellent stuff). This Back carrier base will act as the support for my luggage over the rear seat.
  • Special thanks to the Rynox Pune team, who helped me finalize the Stealth Evo Pants and Storm Evo Gloves. You guys were excellent in explaining the stuff and guiding me accordingly.
  • Added a chrome AirFly leg guard from the RE since the earlier one had rusted.

Next In line
  • Lumbar support since off late I am facing back pain at the lower end.
  • Electrical Rewiring with spare Ignition points.
  • New Exide battery
  • Front and Rear tires.
  • Auxillary Lights

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img20211218160726.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img20211218173503.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img20211227wa0005.jpg

Last edited by Majumdarda : 8th January 2022 at 22:01.
Majumdarda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 19:34   #551
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
[*]Maddog Aux Light: This is something that is still being pondered upon since the investment (with harness etc) comes to a whopping 10k. But of course there are alternatives like HJG, but again considering the price difference, I need to do some research. If anyone has any experience with the fog lamps on Bullet, feel free to share please. Fog lamps for me are primarily for the trip, for just in case scenarios, only.
KarthikK's Himalayan thread has details of the Mad Dog aux lights. I believe that he is pretty happy with it. If you are just purchasing it for the trip to the Himalayas, consider selling the lights and the wiring harness etc, once you get back.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 11:42   #552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
KarthikK's thread has details of the Mad Dog aux lights...
Thank you for your very timely suggestion. I would go through the thread to make a concise decision.
Old 13th January 2022, 20:00   #553
Senior - BHPian

Another step forward. Got the below delivered this evening.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-amunra7.jpeg

The packaging was excellent and the below came out

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-amunra6.jpeg

And I have almost contributed a kilogram to the overall

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-amunra5.jpeg

The fitting was obviously DIY and it came out good.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-amunra4.jpeg

The mountings are pretty to the point and not much effort is required. Below are the sections where it gets mounted

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-amunra3.jpeg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-amunra2.jpeg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-amunra1.jpeg
Majumdarda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 14:02   #554
Senior - BHPian

Got the knuckle guards installed which gives Amun-Ra a rather daunting look. Buckbuster is not readily available and they are damn expensive. Since the reviews are acceptable for these RE-branded ones, I am sure they will serve the need as and when needed, and that is to protect the levers in case of any accidental fall.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20220120_120210.jpg

Also enquired about the sump guard and was surprised to hear that the guards cannot be fitted if I have an Airfly engine guard mounted. I was told that there is some SOP for this. Anyways I have requested the team to place an order for the same, while in the background I have dropped an email to the Royal Enfield team to advise on this fact.
Old 20th January 2022, 16:28   #555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Back after a century

[*]Auxillary Lights[/list]
Glad to see your post after a long time. I too am somewhat on the same lines, prepping up for Leh/Spiti, for this year. Couple of stuff I have done on my Himalayan-
1- HJG lights - found them to be good since Mad Dogs were expensive
2- Art of Motorcycles Handlebar for that improved stance
3- Barkbusters Knuckle guards
4- Race Dynamics piggy back ECU
5- Zana rear rack
6- RE issued touring seat (for rider only)
7- Mobile holder - Zana and Ram Mounts
8- Injectors cleaned

Pending-
1- Frnt and rear tyres - will mostly go for Timsun
2- Mobile charger
3- All rubber parts to be changed
4- Mostly would go for a clutch replacement
5- RE issued Saddle stays with Panniers

I have already shifted to Amsoil full synthetic engine oil. Will you be riding solo or with a group?

Last edited by rakesh_r : 20th January 2022 at 16:31.
rakesh_r is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed