Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2022, 13:45   #571
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Ceat GripXL tires for both the front and rear (90/90-19" and 120/80-18").
I have to change my tyres in the next few months so I hope you don't mind if I ask you why not go in for the stock MRFs again. I've heard bad things about the stock MRFs, but in my case they've been good so far. I'm just wondering if the Ceats are better in some way that I have overlooked.

Quote:
12V14AH batteries. I was looking for Amaron, unfortunately, they do not cater to the 14AH segment. Trying to crack a deal with the alternative option of Exide. Tata Green are the ones currently connected, and I am looking to change these.
I changed my factory fitted Exide to an Exide Xplore 14AH about a year back. I've been happy so far but I guess 1 year is too low to give any meaningful feedback. Since my office is still closed, the bike is used only for weekend rides and hasn't given me any trouble so far.

Quote:
Got my Fog Lights fitted, with a wire harness
The new fog lights look nice!! I ordered a set of Maddog Scout lights (with harness, switch, filters, etc) last week. Need to fix them over the weekend. I briefly considered the Vaishnu lights as well - but they seemed a little big for my taste so I went with Maddog instead.
JoeTheWanderer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 14:28   #572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
I believe the stock output of the alternator is 120W (please correct me if i m wrong) for the 500 UCE.
Good point and I do not have any answer to this at this point. Logically speaking, this is probably not possible, but practically speaking, many of my group buddies have a similar setup. Obviously, we also need to consider the fact that fogs are not to be used within the city limits and etc etc. With the limited decent use these guys have, I doubt if they have had to change their alternator or faced issues with the wiring. Still I would check with them to get more insights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheWanderer View Post
I have to change my tyres in the next few months so I hope you don't mind if I ask you why not go in for the stock MRFs again.
The MRFs are excellent for the city ride and I am happy as well. The sole purpose for the CEATs would be for the yearly pilgrimage to Ladakh, so these are categorically for that

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheWanderer View Post
The new fog lights look nice!! I ordered a set of Maddog Scout lights (with harness, switch, filters, etc) last week. Need to fix them over the weekend. I briefly considered the Vaishnu lights as well - but they seemed a little big for my taste so I went with Maddog instead.
Yes, they have that typical retro look and that's one of the reasons that got me taking an interest into this.
Majumdarda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 14:58   #573
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
12V14AH batteries. I was looking for Amaron, unfortunately, they do not cater to the 14AH segment. Trying to crack a deal with the alternative option of Exide. Tata Green are the ones currently connected, and I am looking to change these.
Unfortunately Amaron still doesnt have a battery for the 14Ah rating. SF Sonic is also made by Exide. But I will suggest that you get the dry cell zero maintenance battery from Exide sold under the VRLA brand. It comes with 48 months of warranty and performance is clearly better than the regular batteries from Exide and SF Sonic. Even if you dont use the bike every day, it doesnt give you any trouble with starting up. Ever since I switched to this, I dont recall having kickstarted my Continental GT 535. With the other batteries, if I didnt use the bike for a few days, I would have to kick start it. Some details on the battery are here.
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 16:20   #574
BHPian

Quote:
Hi buddy. Long time. I have always faced an issue of the right leg being parallel to the ground over the brake lever pad. This affects blood circulation to my right foot. Have you experienced this?
AM planning to lower the brake level pad to at least 10 degrees below the foot rest.
The left side seem ok as I can put my heel on the foot rest and fingers below the gear lever.

what's your thought around this?
Old 18th March 2022, 11:14   #575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post
Hi buddy. Long time. I have always faced an issue of the right leg being parallel to the ground over the brake lever pad. This affects blood circulation to my right foot. Have you experienced this?
AM planning to lower the brake level pad to at least 10 degrees below the foot rest.
The left side seem ok as I can put my heel on the foot rest and fingers below the gear lever.

what's your thought around this?
Hey, long time indeed. I am sure you are doing good. Happy Holi by the way!!!

I have not faced any issues with the levers or the blood circulation of my foot, but I used to face this when I had learned to drive. And Team-BHP guided me appropriately. The suggestion was not to keep the foot at one position for long and have slight movements, for example try moving the digits at times. I am not sure if lowering the brake lever would help in your case, since it's just speculation. What if it does not and further complicates? Moreover, If you are not riding a Himalayan, then the gap between the road surface and the lever is also less. I think, lowering the lever further will bring it closer to the hard surface, and at times might get the kiss of Earth.

Can you please check if you are facing the same problem, with other motorcycles too? Try at least a few. If not, then I guess might be the stock arrangement has gone wrong.

Few pics from a trip to the backwaters of Temghar dam where we also did camping.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20220227_082118838_hdr.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20220227_082126437.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20220227_082138521_hdr.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20220227_082152468_hdr.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20220227_082155862_hdr.jpg
Majumdarda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 09:16   #576
BHPian

Thanks. Agreed. A 2degree clearance can cause issues in rugges terrain. let me test a few methods on this.

Great photos BTW. keep rocking
FuelInjector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 14:14   #577
Senior - BHPian

Amun-Ra touched the mythical 5s. Though the speed calibration is gone kaput and the only viable option is to replace the unit in entirety, but that would mean starting from all zeroes, atleast on the Odo

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20220319_1228500882.jpg
Majumdarda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2022, 18:36   #578
Senior - BHPian

New Rear Shoes for my Amun-Ra. Exact stock specifications of 120/80 - 18" from Ceat Grippxl. Cost to pocket was 2600/-. Manufacturing [5021]. Could not get a stock from the current year.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20220325_143901203.jpg

Also a small concern and the same has been highlighted on the appropriate forum

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post5284531 (Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!)
Majumdarda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 19:57   #579
Senior - BHPian

This is an update to post#553 [https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...l#post5235381] (Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra")

A point worth mentioning over here is that post I had got it fitted and performed a few rides, I faced no issues. But then I was informed that since the rear support is on the number plate base support, it will not be able to carry much load. To be very specific, I was explicitly informed that it was a huge risk during my Ladakh trip.

With that in mind, I, therefore, ordered one from Zana. This one is quite heavy, with a neat finish. From the compatibility perspective, though the site says that it's for classic series, but then it's not that difficult to have it fixed on a B500. Yes, one is needed to flex muscles a bit though. The finished setup looks quite pleasing and confidence aspiring. CTP was INR 3000

Product link: https://www.zanamotorcycles.com/prod...classic-350500

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20220329_165046114.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20220329_164736556.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20220329_164730415.jpg
Old 3rd April 2022, 16:40   #580
BHPian

Hello @Majumdarda
This is an appreciation post regarding this “Amun-Ra” thread you have created. This thread and your experience/experiments with your Standard 500 has helped immensely during the purchase of my bike(second hand), and that too a Forest Green 500

Thank you

ps- the day I got the bike, all washed and cleaned.
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-2a5b05b5f3f541b89f4dcc5c3379351b.jpeg
NTab is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 19:12   #581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTab View Post
Hello @Majumdarda
This is an appreciation post regarding this “Amun-Ra” thread you have created. This thread and your experience/experiments with your Standard 500 has helped immensely during the purchase of my bike(second hand), and that too a Forest Green 500

Thank you

ps- the day I got the bike, all washed and cleaned.
Attachment 2291627
Hey NTab, that is definitely an excellent investment you have made and welcome to the exquisite club of B500s (the last few of the ones that were made) Have you named your ride as yet?

Looking at the image, it looks immaculately maintained. How is the engine sound and pickup. What is the Odo reading? With the Bullet, one thing is for sure, as you get some spare moolah, invest upon some piece of accessory, which might be required in the long run. It works wonder at the time of need

I have now got both the wheels upgraded to GrippXL and all ready for some off roads.

Name:  Front tyre.JPG
Views: 558
Size:  97.9 KB

Name:  Rear tyre.JPG
Views: 574
Size:  98.2 KB

Last weekend I did a bit of off-roading with my gang and the experience was excellent. Looking forward to a few more rides to get myself accustomed with the new shoes.
Majumdarda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 22:09   #582
BHPian

Quote:
Hey NTab, that is definitely an excellent investment you have made and welcome to the exquisite club of B500s.
Indeed it’s an investment. Owning a B500 gives you a sense of pride(not the snobbish type). And no, I haven’t named my ride yet, and will probably not. I am extremely sorry and without disrespect to anyone, I am not into this whole idea of naming my bikes; Yet.

The bike is indeed was immaculately maintained. When I bought it, the odo was around 19.5k(in Nov,2021), and right now it’s 23k. Didn’t notice any unusual sound. Changed the lock-set, chain sprocket(one of the rear tooth was broken), and changed front forks as they had a bend. After that, nothing troublesome.

Already did some modifications( the urge was uncontrollable ). Handlebar changed to the one from Art of Motorcycle. Installed Simtac hazard system + simtac indicator led. Stock headlight bulb changed to Philips H4 Xtreme Vision, and Osram led T10 led bulbs for speedometer. This light setup was more than satisfactory for night city riding where you are familiar with the roads.

One of the major upgrade was auxiliary lights. After a lot of research, I went with Maddog ScoutX, their switch, and wire harness pro. It costed me ~₹10k, and it’s an absolute value for money. Neat and easy installation, did it myself. Recently I went to Nepal ride (NRM 2022), and these lights performed great on the highway, and the mountains. Anymore than this is probably an overkill to me.

Changed my tyres just before the ride, and guess what, Ceat Grip XL Got the front for ₹1850, and rear for ₹2400.

The morning I left for Nepal Ride
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-f07aeaf280374f2f99c724ea0780b6a6.jpeg

In the Middle of our journey. Lot of other REs in the group, so that makes it more fun
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-4d9d851b98144e1f9c6f415dd6a5c3e6.jpeg
NTab is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 11:30   #583
Senior - BHPian

Amun-Ra got new Exide VRLA batteries. Manufacturing is January 2022. Got this at INR 2700 (with exchange). I had the Tata Green installed before this.
I had booked the battery from BatteryBoss at around 2PM yesterday and had the same delivered this morning at 08:30 AM.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-exide.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-tata-green.jpg
Old 3rd May 2022, 18:26   #584
Senior - BHPian

Had to replace the lock assembly since the original one had been giving contact issues. I had cleaned up the contacts, but the problems resurfaced after a few days.

I thus referred to my Bullet 500 parts manual and the suggested one was having the part number 592245/B. Unfortunately the same is not available at the RE outlet. They informed me that the new one is having part number 584581/E. The MRP for the April 2022 lot is INR 1050.

The Spark Plug's part number, fortunately, has not changed and is still 888237. MRP is now 300 and the complete set of two spark plugs is now available as a semi blister pack (much like the Eveready batteries)
Old 20th May 2022, 13:55   #585
Senior - BHPian

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20220515_094712043_hdr001.jpg

Had a quick off-road cum broken tarmac session on the ghats towards a place called Konkan Diva Fort, which is approximately 140 KMs from Pune [18.300846635983568, 73.42183959555875]

From what I understood, the roads were supposed to be paved all along and the main focus of the ride was for ghat riding along with weight tied on a Bullet; since we have a few new joiners in the group. But then something else was in for surprise and the ride turned out to be thrilling. I had intentionally overloaded my Amun-Ra with whatever I could stuff into my rucksack, the intention, simply to understand how the vehicle would handle the tarmac. Assisted by the new GrippXLs the experience was overwhelming. Typical were those sections wherein there was loose gravel on a steep down bent or sand at a steep up bent. This was something I was not expecting in this ride, that too within such a short distance from Pune. Amun-Ra performed excellently during all these and one of the rides planned will be to enjoy this section, during the rains, if possible at night. There are quite a few sections that will give pleasure to the rusted bones. Camping spot is abundant at the top and in fact it acts as a base for the fearless-climbers too.

My lessons learned: a four-directional bungee cord is far better than a 6 legged one. One may secure up the setup with another 4-legged one, but the issue with a 6-directional one is that unless the ends are properly balanced and spread out, the load tends to shift after some time. Broken tarmac, wherein the rear wheel invariably slides out and you have to balance shifting with your body weight, an unbalanced weight at the rear, can be disastrous. Getting a sense of balance and strength is easier with a 4-thonged bungee cord than a 6-thonged.

Last edited by Majumdarda : 20th May 2022 at 13:58.
Majumdarda is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks