Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2013, 12:20   #1
BHPian

Honda Dazzler : Performance Drop Issue

Hello BHP-ians. I own a Dazzler (2.5 yrs old) done 14k kms.
To just brief you'll about my riding style, I'm a sedate rider, with just heavy-revving once or twice a day, rest I make it sure to ride smoothly.

Lately, since the monsoons I've been facing the following problems :

1. Earlier I used to rev it till 8-9k rpm(once a day) and it didn't break a sweat. The performance was superb. But now after 6k rpm, the vibration and sound from the engine is quite unsettling.
2.The drive chain gets loose and makes sound if at lower rpms and speeds.
3. Can feel a drop in performance compared to how it used to perform previously.

What are my options to solve these problems ?

- Since its an open chain and it takes all the wear and tear directly, is it time to replace the chain and sprocket ?
- What can I do to correct the unsettling engine vibration after 6k rpm ?

- Currently, I use Honda engine oil(if I am not wrong then its semi-synthetic). Should I opt for full synthetic oil?
- Will replacing the spark plug (to NGK Iridium) be of any help in performance and fuel efficiency ?

Please help guys. Thank You in Advance.

-Bhargav
Old 10th October 2013, 13:11   #2
BHPian

re: Honda Dazzler : Performance Drop Issue

Has your bike being serviced post the monsoons? Did the issue of excessive vibration come to light after the servicing?

I own a Dazzler as well and in my case the service center guys screwed up with the idle settings and the carburetor settings resulting in high idle rpm and excess vibration.

What do the service center folks say in your case?

The chain has to be cleaned and lubricated every 500 kms and use Motul chain lube to lubricate it.

What was the parameter used by you to measure the drop in performance?

Last edited by Bookkeeper : 10th October 2013 at 13:16. Reason: Had a few after thoughts.
Bookkeeper is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2013, 14:19   #3
BHPian

Re: Honda Dazzler : Performance Drop Issue

first of all, clean your petrol tank, might be some water there.

then looks like all that your bike need is just good service.
may need to replace the drive chain, check your owners manual for instructions on tightening the chain.
motionfreak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2013, 14:31   #4
BHPian

Hi...I too faced some of the problems you faced. Here are some of my suggestions.

For the chain issue, check the colour coding indicator provided on the swingarm. If the mark is near the RED, then you need to replace the chain. If its still in green, then you might need to tighten the tension on the chain by adjusting the play provided for the rear wheel. Water is a chains biggest enemy. Keep it well lubricated always, especially since its an open case.

Vibrations, rather I would say, resonance, could be due to loose front wings and not necessarily from the engine. A simple tightening of fastening nuts should solve it. You might also want to check the instrument console for any vibrations.

Drop in performance could be due to worn out/incorrect spark gap in the spark plug. Get those checked. Fuel might also be another cause for it. I always ensure that I get it filled from a known bunk or Shell.

A friendly neighbourhood mechanic should be able to solve all your issues. Honda usually does a bad job.
racer_ash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2013, 16:17   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookkeeper View Post
Bookkeeper, as you must be aware, the Motul chain lube is quite a costly affair, any cheaper lubing option out there ? I do get the chain lubed by Honda (they charge 200/- for it) when I get the bike serviced though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionfreak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
No Sir, it is not from the fairing or the front part, the resonance is felt from the seat.

Thank You guys for you inputs. I get my bike serviced regularly at Honda, the post monsoon one is left, running a tight schedule these days so can't go; however am planning to give it for servicing soon hence the questions :

1. Approx. how many kms does an open chain last under "normal Indian" riding conditions.
2. Should I switch to full synthetic oil ?
3. How would NGK Iridium spark plug help me if I install it in place of the stock one ?

-Bhargav
Old 10th October 2013, 16:31   #6
BHPian

No clue about the spark plug and engine oil but I had to get the entire chain and sprocket replaced after 13,xxx kms.

It was entirely worn out and no adjustment setting was left on it resulting in a huge chain slack. The SA told me it was because it was not lubricated properly and can be partly attributed to my riding style as I used to push the drive train components to the limit almost on a daily basis.
Old 11th October 2013, 11:50   #7
BHPian

motul lube will cost you some 400 /- way cheaper than onetime lubing at ASC for 200/-
in fact next time, specifically tell the SC NOT TO LUBE THE CHAIN. do it yourself at home you when you park the bike for whole night. gives the lube more time for better reach in chain. You will save money too.
in fact if your free services are over, then switch to an independent but a good mechanic. he'll do only the things required at the that particular time.

Where do you put up in mumbai? where do your work? may be some members in your area can recommend you a good mechanic.

1. chain sprocket kit should last atleast 20K is regularly cleaned and lubed. I've heard that TVS has cheaper version, haven't tried it yet due to lack of availability.
2. switch to synth only after a proper service. first the vibes should come down to original level. use mineral oil till that time. if you feel the vibes are as low as a new bike, then in the next service you can shift to synth.
IMHO for dazzler, i'd suggest semi syth should be good enough. you won't feel any difference between fully and semi.
3. NGK is good, but very costly. also not much of a use unless you install spitfire cable, which is more costly. and if by mistake your mechanic cleans it like using a wire-brush, like they always do, then the SP looses it's iridium coating.
I'd say stay away from it, instead change the stock SP at every 10k km. hardly 80/-

Last edited by motionfreak : 11th October 2013 at 11:53.
motionfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 12:14   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
Hello BHP-ians. I own a Dazzler (2.5 yrs old) done 14k kms.
To just brief you'll about my riding style, I'm a sedate rider, with just heavy-revving once or twice a day, rest I make it sure to ride smoothly.

Lately, since the monsoons I've been facing the following problems :

1. Earlier I used to rev it till 8-9k rpm(once a day) and it didn't break a sweat. The performance was superb. But now after 6k rpm, the vibration and sound from the engine is quite unsettling.
2.The drive chain gets loose and makes sound if at lower rpms and speeds.
3. Can feel a drop in performance compared to how it used to perform previously.

What are my options to solve these problems ?

- Since its an open chain and it takes all the wear and tear directly, is it time to replace the chain and sprocket ?
- What can I do to correct the unsettling engine vibration after 6k rpm ?

- Currently, I use Honda engine oil(if I am not wrong then its semi-synthetic). Should I opt for full synthetic oil?
- Will replacing the spark plug (to NGK Iridium) be of any help in performance and fuel efficiency ?

Please help guys. Thank You in Advance.

-Bhargav
My pointers:

1. Check the air filter. Replace it every 10k kms.
2. Check the spark plug. Change it every 12k kms. Avoid NGK Iridium and spitfire cables and use stock ones. They are useless on small (displacement-wise) bikes.
3. Due you lube the chain every 500-600 kms? If not, the chain sprocket would need to be looked into. A well maintained unit would easily last 20+k kms. (personal experience)
4. If you are used to high revving, the clutch plates may also need attention.
5. For engine oils, use the following pointers:
a. Mineral - drain at 2k kms at max. (no top up)
b. Semi Synth - drain at 3k kms at max. (no top up)
c. Fully synth - drain at 4k kms at max. (no top up)
Divya Sharan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 15:28   #9
Team-BHP Support

For vibes, check & re-torque the suspension bolts. That might have come loose.
I bet you have looked (inspected) at the chain
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 19:17   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionfreak View Post
motul lube will cost you some 400 /- way cheaper than onetime lubing at ASC for 200/-
O is it ? Till I was aware, the Motul chain lubing can was for some Rs.1.5-2k ? I will definitely go for it if its for this much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
For vibes, check & re-torque the suspension bolts. That might have come loose.
I bet you have looked (inspected) at the chain
Sheel, I have looked at the chain. I think it is also past its prime and I need to replace it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
My pointers:
So its time I replace the air filter now, will also replace the oil strainer along with it.
Approximately how much the new chain+sprocket will cost me ?

-Bhargav
Old 12th October 2013, 08:43   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
So its time I replace the air filter now, will also replace the oil strainer along with it.
Approximately how much the new chain+sprocket will cost me ?

-Bhargav
Has been quite a while I bought Dazzy's spares. It was 1800 odd till last year, but spares' prices have dropped significantly in the last 9-10 months or so.
Old 12th October 2013, 09:18   #12
BHPian

Missed the 30 min window.

EDIT: There are no drops in pries for Dazzler spares!
Rear sprocket - 600
Front sprocket - 146
Chain - 1132

Prices indicative of Bangalore.
Divya Sharan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks