Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2013, 12:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

Skully's Android-powered Helmet with HUD. EDIT: Skully shuts down!

Found this very interesting innovative gadget (?!) trending on the Social Networking Sites today!

Skully's Android-powered Helmet with HUD. EDIT: Skully shuts down!-skullyfeature.png

Although Android has almost become a part of our everyday life, little did I imagine that it would make way into a riding gear.

Skully's Android-powered Helmet with HUD. EDIT: Skully shuts down!-dsc_0021.jpg

Quote:
Skully Helmets is pioneering advanced Heads-Up Display (HUD) technology solutions for the head protection industry.

Key Features
  • Lightweight, aerodynamic, tricomposite shell
  • 3D laser-cut foam for a perfect fit
  • Fully adjustable flow-through ventilation
  • Anti-fog, anti-scratch, anti-glare face shield
  • Quick release chin strap and visor
  • Synapse(TM) Heads Up Display system
  • Visual GPS navigation
  • 180 degree wide angle rearview camera
  • Bluetooth connectivity with voice control

More About the company:

Founded in Silicon Valley in 2013, Skully’s human-centered approach to engineering has led to Skully P1, the first vertically integrated smart HUD motorcycle helmet for consumers.

Skully’s patent-pending Synapse™ technology platform enhances awareness of its users by linking advanced optics to an intelligent network of cameras, sensors, and microprocessors.

Skully Helmets is a privately held company with strategic partnerships spanning the world’s leading motorcycle, technology, and optics companies. Skully Helmets is an official selection of DEMO Fall 2013.

Another noteworthy thing is that, an Indian Engineer, Mr. Dipak Patel is the VP Product Development at SKULLY.

Dipak joined Skully in 2013. He was central to the development of advanced Heads-Up Display for military aircraft in the defense sector before his transition to Philips and later Nokia. There he drove product development for several high volume consumer product initiatives.

Dipak holds a B.S. in Applied Physics from the University of the Southbank, England and his M.S. in Engineering Physics from John Carroll University.

Beta-testers

The product is still in the Beta stage, the company has invited applications to become an approved beta-tester. Approved beta-testers are qualified to receive a pre-release Skully P1 in advance of the official 2014 release date. Interested BHPians could try this link.

Please read thru' the FAQ section in the link given below to know more about the product.

NOTE: All Pics & Content adapted from SKULLY HELMETS OFFICIAL WEBSITE

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 22nd October 2013 at 12:37.
Warwithwheels is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 12:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Skully's Android-powered Helmet with HUD. EDIT: Skully shuts down!

Product Explanation Video:

Warwithwheels is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 13:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

Excellent article, thanks for sharing.

Sounds amazing and looking forward to the launch. Just added this to my wishlist.

Should cost quite a bit, thanks to the techno-wizardry but an interesting product that will revolutionize the motorcycling space.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 15:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Not quite sure how practical it can get to be, would it not disturb the rider? Driving with a rear view is entirely different because of the space you have. Within a helmet to get the rear view might be a bit of distraction. My 2 cents
Old 22nd October 2013, 16:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Not quite sure how practical it can get to be, would it not disturb the rider? Driving with a rear view is entirely different because of the space you have. Within a helmet to get the rear view might be a bit of distraction. My 2 cents
I concur with this. Though the concept is amazing. But in all practicality - Riding needs immense concentration. Imagine while negotiating a tight curve - something pops up in front of the right eye, or some voice rings in the ear which is confusing, rider concentration goes for a toss.

again - my 1 cent.
Old 22nd October 2013, 21:45   #6
BHPian

The temperature and weather feature reminded me of Google Glass.
I found this and other currently available Bluetooth equipped helmets a waste of money, atleast in India.
In our riding conditions, we need immense concentration, given the ever-eager-to-jump-on-the-road pedestrians and the Schumachers out there.

Just talking on the fone while riding is such a distraction, I wonder how much distraction will this helmet cause given the type of gadgetry it holds.

To each his own. While some may argue that, the rear view is quite useful when you want to change lanes and you are better aware of your surroundings.

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2013, 10:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Within a helmet to get the rear view might be a bit of distraction. My 2 cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
something pops up in front of the right eye,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
I wonder how much distraction will this helmet cause given the type of gadgetry it holds.
Skully's Android-powered Helmet with HUD. EDIT: Skully shuts down!-capture.png

Since the display is positioned outside the riders primary field of view, appears approximately 6 meters away (about 20 Feet), not sure how much of obstruction it would create.

Looks like a highly professional team is behind the project. Am sure they would have factored in all the safety concerns while developing the product. That said, only a practical demo here will reveal how useful it would be in the India context.

Am sure India is a huge potential market for them, where two wheelers out number fourwheelers unlike the west.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 23rd October 2013 at 11:00.
Old 23rd October 2013, 10:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Am sure India is a huge potential market for them, where two wheelers out number fourwheelers unlike the west.
Yes for sure India does have a high number of 2-Wheelers, but then how many of these riders have sense in them to wear a regular helmet forget this one. Am sure you would have seen people carrying helmets in their arms rather than wearing it, tied to the motorcycle grab rail

On a serious note would probably want to have a demo/first hand experience before I can further a comment.
Old 23rd October 2013, 11:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Now we can imagine folks having an accident and blaming the helmet bloatware for it, because their helmet HUD started lagging and the resulting disorientation resulted in a crash

That aside, this reminds me of a recent Russian project like this which didnt have rear view but was a neater concept IMHO:
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/li...ith-navigation
Old 23rd October 2013, 19:34   #10
BHPian

The rear view camera reminded me of another helmet - Reevu MSX1 which has rear view feature with an optical system. I wonder how long the HUD will run before the batteries run out of juice. HUD should not be distracting if the audio is turned off IMO, it would just take some time to get used to it.
Old 23rd October 2013, 19:44   #11
BHPian

my 1 cent - hope this doesnt get google ads in the middle of a curve.
adityasiera is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2013, 20:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chotu_r View Post
....I wonder how long the HUD will run before the batteries run out of juice....
A snippet from the FAQ section:

Skully's Android-powered Helmet with HUD. EDIT: Skully shuts down!-capture.png
Warwithwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2013, 17:57   #13
BHPian

I was just browsing around to check if somebody has posted it and LO - It is already here. Thank you Warwithwheels for sharing this amazing piece of invention. IMO - I think there would be enough research made on the "View area" and if any display would block the field of vision.

It would be definitely "COOOOL" to own one and feel like IRONMAN. We can only justify how good it can handle in INDIAN conditions only after testing it here. (Just my two words)
Old 24th October 2013, 18:00   #14
BHPian

Wow!!! This one is definitely on my list of 'to buy' once it becomes available. I have a Nolan N85 with bluetooth system. As a communication system is works as advertised. Sound is clear and crisp. As an entertainment system its junk. The music sounds like its coming out of a tin can.

If this helmet has a good enough system (something that can match Klipsch x10i in ear headphones) it will be really worth it. As for the HUD, my personal view is that its just a matter of getting use to it. Its safer than taking you eyes off the road and looking down at your handle bar mounted GPS navigation system or smart phone. HUDs an essential item in multi million dollar fighter planes where split second decisions in a dogfight can mean life or death. The HUD allows the pilot to keep his eyes and mind in the fight while giving all the vital information required on peripheral vision. If its good enough for fighter planes, its good enough for me on a bike.
PratikPatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2013, 19:26   #15
BHPian

I agree with Pratik Patels fighter plane analogy.

This will be quite a revolution in India once China starts helping us all to acquire it. I am sure that won't take much time.

I am primarily a sales person and have to travel all day. I cannot use my bike and take the car because I cannot take the hassle of pulling over, taking specs off, removing helmet, get the phone out of pocket (which normally is very snugly held because of its large size, bent up thighs and my ample bottom).
In a normal day, this acrobatics has to be done every 10 minutes or so. I can't even ride to my office just 10 KM away in peace.
Also the GPS HUD will be a lifesaver when I would need to go to unfamiliar places (75% of mumbai is still unfamiliar to me, hence this too will be useful almost every other day). Performing the aforesaid acrobatics for checking the route is simply not doable. Rather I ask people and feel sad about that 30K worth of 5" junk paining my thighs.

Plus android will bring many many other possibilities. I am so looking for helmet apps already!

I totally need this. Even if it costs around 10K, I will recover the cost in fuel savings within 3-4 months.

Last edited by sen2009 : 24th October 2013 at 19:30.
sen2009 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks