Team-BHP - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : Brakes Failed : No Quality Control
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : Brakes Failed : No Quality Control (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/144684-royal-enfield-thunderbird-500-brakes-failed-no-quality-control-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by shan2129 (Post 3300484)
while riding downhill, I usually am on the third gear( lite traffic ), I use rear brakes with the front ones & switch to a higher gear, to & if I reduce speed.

Is the reason for upshifting the louder engine noise.

That is ok and should not be a thing of concern.

For safety, you should use the same gear coming down that you would use coming up.

So, that would mean that I should use the 2nd - 3rd gear coming down. Thanks :) will keep that in mind.

No, louder engine noise is not my thing, it used to be when I rode my CI ( thump was my thing ), but on TB500, I just like the torque is produces.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shan2129 (Post 3299974)
Less than a year has passed, I rode mere 3500 Kms on my bike & suddenly one day, while riding down hill from Mussoorie to Dehradun ( a mere 60 km ride ( 30 uphill and 30 down hill )), the rear brakes on my Bull gave up. Yes, you read that correctly.

So, what was wrong with my bike ? The rear disk was hot. It was so hot, that I could bake some buns over it.

Have you tried riding again since the issue? Would recommend doing that and seeing if the problem creeps back up.

Should not be unsafe as the front brakes presumably are all OK. No offense meant to you brother; but I am willing to bet you that this happened because you (unknowingly) have been riding your rear brake

(runs for cover)

Like most Hindustani riders; you probably ride with either your heel on the pegs or "mid foot". In both cases; riding the brake as you ....well .... ride is a very real possibility.

Ride with the balls of your feet placed on the pegs. It helps you (a) hug the tank with your legs a little better & (b) assists moving around the bike (body positioning) during turns

Another advice that you did not ask for - chuck the rear brake. I cannot remember the last time I used it. The feel; dynamics of the bike (especially whilst turning) and braking distance; all will all see a considerable improvement

Apologies if this sounded preachy. Just one bulleteer looking out for another. All the best

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad (Post 3300831)
Have you tried riding again since the issue? Would recommend doing that and seeing if the problem creeps back up.

Should not be unsafe as the front brakes presumably are all OK. No offense meant to you brother; but I am willing to bet you that this happened because you (unknowingly) have been riding your rear brake

(runs for cover)

none taken my friend :) . I thought of that possibility & tried to retrace my steps that day. I rode my bike three time from that day & within 5 kms of riding my brakes failed again and all three times I did not even touch the brake pedal, was just keeping my foot in a tilted position on the peg.
Quote:

Like most Hindustani riders; you probably ride with either your heel on the pegs or "mid foot". In both cases; riding the brake as you ....well .... ride is a very real possibility.
Sometimes when I want to show off, I do that :D hehe

Quote:

Ride with the balls of your feet placed on the pegs. It helps you (a) hug the tank with your legs a little better & (b) assists moving around the bike (body positioning) during turns

Another advice that you did not ask for - chuck the rear brake. I cannot remember the last time I used it. The feel; dynamics of the bike (especially whilst turning) and braking distance; all will all see a considerable improvement

Apologies if this sounded preachy. Just one bulleteer looking out for another. All the best
I understand what you meant to say & to be very frank 90% riders I know ride in this fashion.

Will keep your advice in mind. Thanks .

Quote:

Originally Posted by shan2129 (Post 3300310)
Thanks for your detailed reply & the technique to get rid of the issue. I did read this reply from you in another thread & was the first thing I did when I got back home. :)

Though, the problem was not excess fluid. But, there is a drag in the rear wheel & the callipers are touching the disk permanently. Upon closer inspection, I found out that the whole rear wheel assembly is crooked, it is making a " ghuss-ghuss " sound when I try to rotate the wheel while the bike is parked on the centre stand.

The best part is that RE people said & I quote that
Quote:

All the TB500 & 350 have a crooked tail end. It is just the rear grooves that mount the swing arm were grooved in a crooked manner.

Based on your quote and your problem, Royal Enfield owes it to the owners of the TB's to come up with a solution and to incorporate it at no cost.

If the rear wheel must be misaligned with the swing arm in order to have it properly aligned with the front wheel I think some type of mounting system for the rear caliper should be designed that would allow the rear brake caliper to be positioned to accommodate the wheels position.

A better fix would be to replace the rear swing arm with one that was properly machined but with the tens of thousands of TB's they've produced I can see how this might not be an attractive option.

In any case, if your rear brake caliper cannot be adjusted to prevent the brake pads from rubbing the rear disk I think the least Royal Enfield can do is to replace whatever parts are needed until they've fixed the problem.

If you contact Royal Enfield you might mention that this is a "life/death" issue that could result in major lawsuits if someone was killed.
Don't tell this to the mechanic or the local shop. They wouldn't care.
Tell it to the RE Customer Service manager if you can.

I'm sure there are others who have similar problems but there are apparently thousands of TB owners who do not.
If they all had the problem there would be many more posts on the Team-BHP forum discussing it.

The fact that there aren't indicates that the condition is fixable.

@Shan2129: Nice to meet a fellow from doon here! Just one question: Is this the RE Service Centre near Karanpur/Survey Chowk that you are talking about?

@SamarthMehrota: Yeah, the same one.

Update: RE TSM visited me at home today. He was accompanying a RE Mechanic with him. He took the bike out for a ride & soon realized that the rear disk was way too hot. He also pointed out that the disk pedal on my Bull was 70% worn out & concluded that somehow the disk pads & the disk are in a constant contact & this was the problem that caused the failing of brakes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRIV3R (Post 3300191)

Discarded the brakes for BYBRE ones. Now all is good.

KBX=Endurance=Bybre

They're all the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by airfoil (Post 3301470)
KBX=Endurance=Bybre

They're all the same.

Nope.

Endurance is a standalone firm while BYBRE=KBX+BREMBO.

Please verify your facts. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRIV3R (Post 3301471)
Nope.

Endurance is a standalone firm while BYBRE=KBX+BREMBO.

Please verify your facts. :)

I just checked and stand corrected. Thanks.

Edit and OT: Is there somewhere I can read up about the changes made to the Punto OE suspension?

Quote:

Originally Posted by shan2129 (Post 3301240)

Update: RE TSM visited me at home today. He was accompanying a RE Mechanic with him. He took the bike out for a ride & soon realized that the rear disk was way too hot. He also pointed out that the disk pedal on my Bull was 70% worn out & concluded that somehow the disk pads & the disk are in a constant contact & this was the problem that caused the failing of brakes.

All the best! The bull also has by products.:D As always. More processed by products these days I guess!? Dont let them do a bull by product on you. It dont come cheap, the bull. Enfield can soon start a scooter section and call it the cow? :D even that might be so daang!

Quote:

Originally Posted by YaeJay (Post 3301502)
The bull also has by products.:D As always. More processed by products these days I guess!? Dont let them do a bull by product on you. It dont come cheap, the bull. Enfield can soon start a scooter section and call it the cow?

Brilliant! You echo my sentiments to the T.

Bullets are notorious for their unreliability but a failure of this nature is something that is totally unacceptable to me, given the rather premium positioning and poor performance figures. It simply doesn't figure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shan2129 (Post 3301240)

Hi shan2129,

Congrats to you on joining the Bull Club, I too own a TBTS 500 so we are fellow Matadors lol: (without a cape and other stuffs)

I have been following your thread and was keen to know the follow-up action to the above findings from RE , are they covering this under warranty et c etc.

please keep this thread updated with your discussions and resolutions as it would be beneficial to all Bull Riders here.

Cheers,
Jimmy

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy_u (Post 3302417)
Hi shan2129,

Congrats to you on joining the Bull Club, I too own a TBTS 500 so we are fellow Matadors lol: (without a cape and other stuffs)

I have been following your thread and was keen to know the follow-up action to the above findings from RE , are they covering this under warranty et c etc.

please keep this thread updated with your discussions and resolutions as it would be beneficial to all Bull Riders here.

Cheers,
Jimmy

Yeah, without the cape & other stuff :D

Thanks. The enthusiasm & wisdom of my fellow riders helps me keep faith in my TB500.
My warranty will be over on 8th of December, so only a few days left for that to happen :D

Now, The RE TSM has promised me that the whole (front & rear ) disk brake assembly ( yes, the complete assembly ) will be changed under warranty. With that there is a possibility that they will also change my swing arm just to be sure about things.

With that, I have asked them for 1 year extended warranty on the whole bike, so as to be sure about the quality of parts that I am getting. RE has not yet conformed whether they will provide me with the extended warranty, or not.

They have expressly told me to wait, as the parts are shipped from Royal Enfield Chennai. According to them 5th December is the dead line & my Bull should be ready before 5th.

I think Royal Enfields response to your problem by coming to your home to examine the motorcycle is commendable.

I rather doubt they will be willing to extend the warranty for the entire motorcycle for another year but they should be willing to warrant the newly installed parts (and the labor of installing them) for a year.
After all, they will be brand new parts. :)