Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2013, 11:39   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Premium Bike for the Himalayas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast_of_Burden View Post
Doc, The Dukes featured in the Raid have had their front ends modified, there might be other mods that are not visually apparent. Are these running stock suspension? or am I the only one that sees front shocks with longer travel. The front wire wheel seems to be a nineteen incher. The tires as anyone can see are dirt oriented . More details of these mods would be great and lend the Duke some real off-road cred.
Yes the Dukes are modded. As is every other bike in the Raid, the extent of the mods depending on which category they participate in. Yes, the front wheels are from the Impulse most probably. The rear wheels and disc are stock. The fork legs (lower pipes) are longer. No idea if the forks are re-sprung or valved. The fork lowers are protected with rubber boots. The tyres are obviously on-off road dual purpose tyres. And the lower engine beak has been replaced by a sump guard.

I do not think there were any engine or ECU mods, but I could be wrong. They might have been running freer flowing air filters for the rareified air - though I am not sure. I know that the bikes did have some early morning starting issues which the KTM team were working on. But that's really common in the Raid with 4-5 a.m. starts in freezing temperatures and high altitude, with the sun not up yet.

But all this is in a competition setting where all bikes and riders use every trick in the book allowed legally to get that extra bit of performance and reliability. The Duke in its stock form is more than capable of doing the mountains very competently while on a normal tour. With zero changes to what comes from the factory.
Old 22nd December 2013, 23:03   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Hey Vedder, Let us face it. Any high performance bike with liquid cooled engine heats up
Don't get too much bugged with a few niggling issues afterall no bike is perfect like no human is perfect
Thank you very much bro! you've more or less put it on a plate for me. The 390 will be my steed next June. Whatever happens, i'm gonna deal with it.

Appreciate the information & opinions provided. Take care!
Old 29th December 2013, 19:46   #78
BHPian

Though I can see that you have already made up your mind about Duke 390, I thought maybe a few honest to goodness reviews for the CBR 250R wouldn't hurt, so here goes...

http://wheelsnshields.wordpress.com/...ership-review/

http://rideapart.com/2010/12/27-tech...250r-possible/

http://rideapart.com/2011/10/the-sur...honda-cbr250r/

Cheers !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks