Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2013, 11:51   #1
BHPian

Bajaj & TVS working on Hybrid Motorcycles

Indian government is planning to roll out subsidies for electric vehicles by April of 2014 - under the National Electric Mobility Mission Plan. As a result of this we could see some surge in sales of the Reva.

Here is the source

The article says that there were also a couple of more OEMs like Tata and Maruti working hybrid and electric cars. What caught my attention was that Bajaj and TVS are are working on hybrid motorcycles, which are at a homologation stage.

Hybrid bikes seems to be a very practical solution considering that they do not have any range issues like the electric ones and I have always preferred hybrids over Electric vehicles.

Does any one have any information on these bikes?

P.S. Mods, I was not able to a find a relevant thread, Kindly merge in case there is one.
katchkamalesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 12:02   #2
gemi_kk

re: Bajaj & TVS working on Hybrid Motorcycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by katchkamalesh View Post
What caught my attention was that Bajaj and TVS are are working on hybrid motorcycles, which are at a homologation stage.

Does any one have any information on these bikes?
I think, Bajaj has already started working on Electric bikes. As it is pure R&D, Companies ensure that no information comes out either Officially or Unofficially.

I think, this is the reason, why no new & significant engines are rolling out of Bajaj. If not, A dozen new bikes would have hit the market with different permutations and combinations of features. The reason being, they must have diverted all R&D budget to New Electric engies department.
  (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 12:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

It should be relatively easier to shoe in hybrid/electric drivetrains in a bike (weight and balance should be little harder). Hopefully, we will see these earlier. They need to cover scooters if they want wider acceptance.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 13:00   #4
BHPian

This is good news. Hero already has electric scooters but they are slow and puny.

However, I don't think they'd come out with motorcycles since it could be hard to accommodate a large battery and the electric motor along with the existing gasoline engine. Expecting scooters.

Last edited by hellmet : 29th November 2013 at 13:02.
hellmet is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks