Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2013, 15:03   #1
BHPian

Royal Enfield Desert Storm 500 - The Remembrance of a War Era, My Bullet!

The Bullet is popular in because of its looks and the sheer pleasure of riding it through the hills and dales. It is something one must experience. The passion for the Royal Enfield still rages in the hearts of motorbike enthusiasts, worldwide. To own a Royal Enfield is now becoming a status symbol.

The Classic Desert with its sand paint scheme reminiscent of the war era, a time when Royal Enfield motorcycles proved their capabilities and battle worthiness by impeccable service to soldiers in harsh conditions of the desert.

Owning a BULLET was one of my childhood dreams. And I am proud that I am sticking to my dream

Royal Enfield Branch: A Unit of Eicher Motors Limited, ninth block, Jayanagar, Bangalore.
Booking Date: 11th February 2013
Delivery Date: 26th October 2013
Model: Royal Enfield Desert Storm 500
On road Price: 1,77,366.00Rs

Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Desert Storm 500 - The Remembrance of a War Era, My Bullet!-img_0834.jpg  

Mighty_Lothar is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 15:24   #2
BHPian

re: Royal Enfield Desert Storm 500 - The Remembrance of a War Era, My Bullet!

Introduction

This is my first thread in Team BHP, so kindly bear with me and your suggestions are highly appreciated.

I am from a beautiful village called Palavayal in Kasargod district, Kerala. During my childhood days, there were many people from our village owned bullets. Especially army men, police officers and even politicians. And some of them had diesel bullets. When the legendary ‘thump’ is heard by us, we make way for them as if in the presence of royalty.

After selling my i10 within 18 months of it’s purchase (with no major reason), I did buy a Volkswagen Vento Diesel in 2012. My wife was not at all happy on my decisions but somehow I have convinced her by praising Vento and it’s advantages over i10 (Built,safety, power, mileage, space & comfort, brand, social status and so on…hehe).
So, I was sure that it is going to be a clear cut NO NO from her if I talk about buying a bullet.

One day, I purposefully started this topic.

Me: Hey look at this bike (by showing the picture of DS 500 from RE website)…Stunning isn’t it?
Wifey: Don’t even joke about buying another bike… You already have your freddy (freddy is my trustworthy pulsar 150)right? Be happy with what you have…OK
Me: Silence…
Wifey: Why are you not serious about spending money? We bought a flat and you have a house loan now…If you have excess money, please give it to me..let’s pay our house loan…First of all I am not happy that you sold our i10…Now you have your Vento and you promised that it is going to be your car atleast for another 20 years ..
Me: ooops, when did I say that?
Wifey: You said it at least 100 times.
Me: Ohh…then it should be true. But…See, We are talking about a bike now…our freddy(Pulsar) is almost nearing 60000KM and you know, it is very difficult to maintain it now a days. It is a 2003 model and the bike is really old….right? hmm?
Wifey: I don’t want to hear anything. YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BUY ANY BULLET.
Me: OK….OK…I am not going to buy now…But later…Ok? May be after one year? Hmm?
Wifey: Silence…

After couple of months, I have quickly started this topic again.

Me: Hey, I am planning to book a bullet. The one I showed you couple of months back. See, I am not going to take any loans. I am selling my company shares. See, I have paid some good amount towards our loan…And have closed the pending credit card bill…Looks like it is good to go for it now…What you say?
Wifey: Tell me why do you want a new bike now? You already have a CAR…..
Me: You are again asking the same question. (I then started explaining her about my childhood passion on bullets, village stories etc etc). The discussion lasted for many hours and finally, she agreed to some extent.

In the very next week, I went and booked a DS 500 from RE jayanagar branch(I did already took test ride many times) without informing her. Anyway, the waiting period is close to 8 months and I thought by that time I will pay some more amount towards loan so that she will be more happy and then I can tell about bullet. One of my friend also booked a DS 500 on the same day.

Nevertheless, the plan did not worked out well.
The other friend who booked the bike along with me, have come to my home one day.
While having tea, he suddenly asked.
Friend: Ajeesha, congrats…. Booked a bullet right? We need a treat…
Wifey: When? I am not aware (And she looked at me..)
Friend: Hey bro, you haven’t told her about this? Why man? (With his hideous smile….. and he knows that she is unaware of this).
Me: Aji, see I just booked it and you know it will take minimum 1 year..Long waiting period..By that time, we will be completely settled (I know I am almost lost here, but somehow managed the scene)

The days passed quickly and I made sure she is convinced fully, end of the day we men are good at convincing right?

After the first 5 months of booking, I have slowly started doing followup’s with Royal Enfield and was told that they will get my bike in September. I was happy! The waiting number was 41. But this was delayed again and again and finally they manage to deliver the bike in the evening on 26th of October. The delivery experience was quite fine and I had no expectations from RE. So, no complaints at all. I was asked to come down to the showroom around 3:00PM and they delivered the bike to me by 6:45PM. At last my dream come true! A true legendary motorcycle!...

It is the time for some photos before I start penning down my initial riding experience…Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Desert Storm 500 - The Remembrance of a War Era, My Bullet!-img_1304.jpg  

Royal Enfield Desert Storm 500 - The Remembrance of a War Era, My Bullet!-edit_1308.jpg  

Royal Enfield Desert Storm 500 - The Remembrance of a War Era, My Bullet!-edit_1167.jpg  

Royal Enfield Desert Storm 500 - The Remembrance of a War Era, My Bullet!-edit_1250.jpg  

Royal Enfield Desert Storm 500 - The Remembrance of a War Era, My Bullet!-41.jpg  

Mighty_Lothar is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 17:04   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

There you go with your ownership review of something that you waited for more than 6 months while we talked about it every other day before it arrived and I could see it in flesh.

Though not a biker now, I did have my share of riding days few years back and I know what it is to own a thumping machine called Bullet.

Excellent Photographs to complement to color of your ride.

Wishing you many of those impromptu rides which you always embark upon on weekends.

Ride Safe!

PS: So far I have only managed to crank your Desert Storm and wish to take a proper ride in coming days.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 18:35   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
There you go with your ownership review of something that you waited for more than 6 months while we talked about it every other day before it arrived and I could see it in flesh.

Though not a biker now, I did have my share of riding days few years back and I know what it is to own a thumping machine called Bullet.

Excellent Photographs to complement to color of your ride.

Wishing you many of those impromptu rides which you always embark upon on weekends.

Ride Safe!

PS: So far I have only managed to crank your Desert Storm and wish to take a proper ride in coming days.
Thanks Parag Bhai. We will have a detailed test ride soon .

LOTHAR
Mighty_Lothar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 22:06   #5
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Lothar View Post
Delivery Date: 26th October 2013
Model: Royal Enfield Desert Storm 500
Congratulations and best wishes, Mighty_Lothar. I wish you many lakhs of miles with smiles on your Desert Storm. Explore and enjoy your DS.
  (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 11:24   #6
BHPian

• The classic/iconic/jaw-dropping/dazzling/killer look!
  • Mighty 500CC engine and it’s sheer torque
  • Nice color - Less cleaning required
  • Well-mannered ride and handling
  • Decent brakes and nice horn.
DISLIKES
  • Fuel consumption display is missing – easy to be cheated in petrol bunks
  • One neutral between every gear
  • Waiting period - It is like a long gap between an engagement and marriage.
  • Habitual visits to Petrol bunks – Car like Mileage
I was more than happy riding my loyal Freddy. It is a 2003 Model non DTSI Pulsar 150CC. I am nearing to 60000KM on my pulsar and it has been a great bike so far. I have got lot of good memories and sentiments with this bike – especially those untiring rides to Kerala (380KM) during my good old days.

With the arrival of my mighty warrior, freddy is taking a much-needed rest.
Right after the delivery from RE Jayanagar branch, I have ridden the DS to the nearest petrol pump in BTM and filled petrol for 500RS. Due to the false neutral between gear changes, the first 2 to 3 KM’s I just couldn't get it right. Later I got adjusted to the gear shifting system. All well! It was 7:00PM in the evening and before I reached silk board, it started raining! Wow, heavy traffic, heavy rain and a heavy bike! I did continue and have got into the flyover towards electronic city. It is a great feeling to ride a bullet at a strict 50KM speed in a heavy rain . I somehow managed to reach my home at Anand Nagar, Huskur Gate and by that time I was completely wet.

The very next day, as planned with my friends, we went to Anchatti, a good destination for bikers which is located on the way to Hogenakkal.

INITIAL TEST RIDE IMPRESSIONS

Turn on the ignition, wait for the red injection light to get disappear, press the electric start button and the motor turns over. I have tried kick starting the bike couple of times but in vain. So, self start is a big relief and my favorite option as of now.

The most difficult thing was to ride this motorcycle below 50KM speed during the Running-in period. That is too the first 500 KM. Therefore, my friends decided to help me out and every weekend they have planned some short bike trips just for me. Thanks to their patience. I did manage to be loyal to this rule most of the times. So far, it has been a fantastic experience with my new warrior. I would like to summarize my initial experience in one-liners rather than penning down in paragraphs.
  1. Great power and pickup – Very quick 0 to 60. Overtaking is fun!
  2. Not so heavy – easily manageable in city traffic.
  3. The heal and toe style gear change lever is pretty comfortable.
  4. It is missing the brutal thump of old era bullets
  5. The mirrors are almost useless above 60KM speed. I am getting used with this unique feature.
  6. Braking is good but has to be very gentle with it. A rear disc brake is highly recommended.
  7. Mileage is in between 20 to 25KM/L. Nothing unexpected here.
  8. A continuous 100KM ride might give you a little back pain. My pulsar was arguably more comfortable.
Some interesting Questions/comments from friends and colleagues

"Hey Super duper bullet Machaa…Is Royal Enfield still producing these kind of bullets? I never knew this!!"

"Nice paint dude..From where did you get this done? What is the cost? Excellent choice of color dude. Congrats!"

"I always like this Old model bro…Good that you bought the old one..This is 1975 model right? I love this. I have one in my native machaaa…exactly same one..But that is 1970..The new generation bullets are not at all good man. Congrats again!"

Some more photos along with my friends...I will keep this thread updated!
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Desert Storm 500 - The Remembrance of a War Era, My Bullet!-1.jpg  

Royal Enfield Desert Storm 500 - The Remembrance of a War Era, My Bullet!-2.jpg  

Royal Enfield Desert Storm 500 - The Remembrance of a War Era, My Bullet!-3.jpg  

Royal Enfield Desert Storm 500 - The Remembrance of a War Era, My Bullet!-4.jpg  

Royal Enfield Desert Storm 500 - The Remembrance of a War Era, My Bullet!-5.jpg  

Royal Enfield Desert Storm 500 - The Remembrance of a War Era, My Bullet!-6.jpg  

Royal Enfield Desert Storm 500 - The Remembrance of a War Era, My Bullet!-7.jpg  

Royal Enfield Desert Storm 500 - The Remembrance of a War Era, My Bullet!-8.jpg  

Royal Enfield Desert Storm 500 - The Remembrance of a War Era, My Bullet!-9.jpg  

Royal Enfield Desert Storm 500 - The Remembrance of a War Era, My Bullet!-10.jpg  

Royal Enfield Desert Storm 500 - The Remembrance of a War Era, My Bullet!-11.jpg  

Royal Enfield Desert Storm 500 - The Remembrance of a War Era, My Bullet!-12.jpg  

Royal Enfield Desert Storm 500 - The Remembrance of a War Era, My Bullet!-13.jpg  

Royal Enfield Desert Storm 500 - The Remembrance of a War Era, My Bullet!-14.jpg  

Royal Enfield Desert Storm 500 - The Remembrance of a War Era, My Bullet!-15.jpg  

Royal Enfield Desert Storm 500 - The Remembrance of a War Era, My Bullet!-16.jpg  

Mighty_Lothar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 11:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

That's a nice way to start a thread. The DS looks awesome in that color.
I am sure most of us will be able to correlate with the conversation that you had with your better half.
Now that you have materialized your childhood dream, i will advise please invest some more to get good quality riding gears , a crash jacket and may be a DOT certified helmet should be on the top of the shopping list now. You can refer to the riding gears thread for details .

If we have few rider here, may be you can join sometime with your DS .

Cheers
Ride Safe.

Last edited by Schoudhury : 11th December 2013 at 12:00.
Schoudhury is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 12:02   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
That's a nice way to start a thread. The DS looks awesome in that color.
I am sure most of us will be able to correlate the same type of conversation that you had with your better half.
Now that you have materialized your childhood dream, i will advise please invest some more to get good quality riding gears , a crash jacket and helmet should be on the top of the shopping list now.

If we have few rider here, may be you can join sometime with your DS .

Cheers
Ride Safe.
Thanks dude. Yes, as of now no plans to change my helmet (It is LS2, isn't that good enough?). But yes, i have to buy some proper riding gears and a crash jacket....I am planning to get that soon!

LOTHAR
Old 11th December 2013, 12:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

Great pictures and nice to see that scooter as well. I recommend 500 to anyone who wants the new gen bullets and convince them one or another to go grab the 500. Its super fast compared to the CI engines. I have my 500 but after few test rides told my friends my 500 cannot stand a chance on long roads.

The gears you needs is an aviator, may be a half helmet, and a nice leather jacket. Helmet is an individual choice. Stick to what you feel is comfortable.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 16:36   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Great pictures and nice to see that scooter as well.
Thanks VW2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
The gears you needs is an aviator, may be a half helmet, and a nice leather jacket. Helmet is an individual choice. Stick to what you feel is comfortable.
Yes , i personally prefer a full face helmet over the other one. As of now LS2 should suffice. I may go for a better one later. Jackets....Yes, I have to look at appropriate threads and see some good recommended choices.

LOTHAR
Old 11th December 2013, 16:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Lothar, Despite you booking after me, you got your bull well before mine. I booked mine on Jan 5th, 2013 and got it only on 12/11/2013.

A few points I agree with you on, the lack of fuel meter is a drag and the mileage is hovering around 20-25 for me as well. The sound isn't that bad if you have ever heard a classic 350 or the TBTS 500. Nothing a good exhaust wont fix.

I have not had any issues with the kick start. I ride my DS maybe once or twice every week and I barely need to give it a full kick to get it started. Whirls and gets into a thump quite instantly. Maybe you should check yours? Just finished the 500km first service, now is when the relationship gets stronger.

As for the gearing, I have only had issues when I have had to drop from 2nd to 1st. Maybe I am not using my toe hard enough but I tend to fall on neutral 3/5 times.

Being 6 foot 2 inches and the bike being so low does add extra stress on my arms as the riding position is too upright and mostly leaned forwards. Have planned a low slung seat and the standard-500's handle bar to rectify these issues.

All in all, a great buy. As a fellow DS owner I will definitely vouch for your purchase. Looking forward to maybe having a ride together.

Happy Thumping!!

P.S: i love the way it munches up bad roads too. Excellent shock absorbers. Paint is susceptible to small stones....watch out for paint chipping!

Last edited by Fullrevs : 11th December 2013 at 16:58.
Fullrevs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 22:00   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
Congratulations Lothar, Despite you booking after me, you got your bull well before mine. I booked mine on Jan 5th, 2013 and got it only on 12/11/2013.
Thanks Fullrevs. From which showroom you did book your bull?

Quote:
I have not had any issues with the kick start. I ride my DS maybe once or twice every week and I barely need to give it a full kick to get it started. Whirls and gets into a thump quite instantly. Maybe you should check yours? Just finished the 500km first service, now is when the relationship gets stronger.
Ohh Yes, i have to try once properly when i get some time. And i have also finished 500KM service last week... I will share my experience soon

Quote:
As for the gearing, I have only had issues when I have had to drop from 2nd to 1st. Maybe I am not using my toe hard enough but I tend to fall on neutral 3/5 times.
yeah, and for me it happens every time i am in a toll gate and in hurry .

Quote:
Being 6 foot 2 inches and the bike being so low does add extra stress on my arms as the riding position is too upright and mostly leaned forwards. Have planned a low slung seat and the standard-500's handle bar to rectify these issues.
OK Cool. Please share your feedback once you get that done.

Quote:
All in all, a great buy. As a fellow DS owner I will definitely vouch for your purchase. Looking forward to maybe having a ride together.
Sure mate!

LOTHAR

Last edited by Mighty_Lothar : 11th December 2013 at 22:01. Reason: Added more comments
Old 12th December 2013, 16:50   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Lothar View Post
Thanks Fullrevs. From which showroom you did book your bull?
I booked mine at Teknik Motors, lakshmipuram, Indiranagar. Next to Ulsoor market. They are overflowing with bookings always. I know the owners son quite well so got it done there. They have been very good to me, even came home to sort out a minor electrical issue once.
Old 30th January 2014, 20:18   #14

Damn, the Desert Storm is truly a looker! I plan to book mine in the near future. Regarding the fuel gauge issue, is there anyway to fit an aftermarket fuel gauge of some sort?
SidVenugopal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 10:30   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Desert Storm 500 - The Remembrance of a War Era, My Bullet!

Hi Lothar excellent thread,a long time since since you haven't updated on the bike.How is it performing?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks