Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2013, 11:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Crotch Rocket - KTM Duke 390

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I forgot to elaborate on my idea of what "touring" should be. It is not about going fast alone. The motorcycle has to be comfortable over extended periods of riding, have room for luggage and should have decent accommodation for a pillion. The KTM does only the "fast" bit. The rest does not exist at all.
Not reallly the case for me at least. I guess it depends of how much luggage you want to carry versus how much you really need to carry.

And my KTM carries the same fully loaded saddlebags that my Bullet does. And my saddlebags are frankly overkill for anthing less than a 10-day cross country ride. Anything shorter and I can easily manage with a dufflebag bungeed to the pillion seat.

Yes I do agree that a pillion is not a good idea or a possibility.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2013, 12:04   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Not reallly the case for me at least. I guess it depends of how much luggage you want to carry versus how much you really need to carry.
You are right. The dufflebag sounds more like it. I don't know how a saddle bag can possible sit on the KTM and not interfere with the rider.

With my Enfield, one side of the saddle bag was full of spares. I doubt if I left anything critical outside of the ignition coil and spare wheel rim. I did think of throwing in a spare ignition coil too cause it gave up once when I did the Royal Enfield factory tour. Some how managed to get the bike back to Bangalore with the coil on its last legs. With the KTM, spares are something I don't have to carry at all. A marathon ride may require a spare head lamp bulb and some coolant, at the very least. The thought has crossed my mind on carrying a chain link. I wonder if they sell such a thing for the KTM. I've had a couple of small things fall off or break on my Enfield and cause havoc on a motorcycle ride. Once a chain link left me stranded an entire day and on anther trip, the battery terminal spade snapped. Every time there is a break down, I stock that particular spare and for the next break down, something new and totally unexpected falls apart.

A pillion is not happening on the KTM. Forget touring. My wife was nearly in tears when I took her for a short spin and that is without any scary acceleration.
sandeepmohan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th December 2013, 12:29   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are right. The dufflebag sounds more like it. I don't know how a saddle bag can possible sit on the KTM and not interfere with the rider.

With my Enfield, one side of the saddle bag was full of spares. I doubt if I left anything critical outside of the ignition coil and spare wheel rim. I did think of throwing in a spare ignition coil too cause it gave up once when I did the Royal Enfield factory tour. Some how managed to get the bike back to Bangalore with the coil on its last legs. With the KTM, spares are something I don't have to carry at all. A marathon ride may require a spare head lamp bulb and some coolant, at the very least. The thought has crossed my mind on carrying a chain link. I wonder if they sell such a thing for the KTM. I've had a couple of small things fall off or break on my Enfield and cause havoc on a motorcycle ride. Once a chain link left me stranded an entire day and on anther trip, the battery terminal spade snapped. Every time there is a break down, I stock that particular spare and for the next break down, something new and totally unexpected falls apart.

A pillion is not happening on the KTM. Forget touring. My wife was nearly in tears when I took her for a short spin and that is without any scary acceleration.
Exactly. A lot of the Bullet's legendary ability to carry loads is taken up by its equally legendary ability for parts to fail, snap, or fall off. On the KTM I simply carry both foot levers under the pillion seat (they always snap when you fall -somehow this I see as a design flaw that KTM should look into), a tubeless puncture repair kt on the longer rides, and the clutch and accelerator cables, along with headlight bulb and spark plug. Nothing else.

Yes, with the saddlebags fitted, there is no place for a pillion to place his/her feet. He/she would be sitting as on an elephant, with the legs hanging over the bags on both sides (as the pegs are under the bags).

But no, the bags do NOT interfere with me as the rider at all. Stay firmly in place, in spite of high speed and rough road riding. I have done 700-1000 km days with saddlebags with zero issues. And once I figured out how to secure them, puting them on and taking them off takes exactly TWO MINUTES! And no, they do not slip over time with bumps and start sliding under the rider's bums.

The only drawback of my current bags is that they cannot carry more than 4-5 liters of fuel (in the 2 bottle pockets) and that they do exert pressure over the stalks of the rear indicators (causing one to finally crack - replacing them is expensive at 600 bucks EACH!).
ebonho is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 26th December 2013, 16:00   #19
BHPian

Hey great buy!!
Very nice write up and good pics!
Yeah, long rides on these bikes are "back killers"!!
Old 26th December 2013, 19:26   #20
BHPian

Quote:
I forgot to elaborate on my idea of what "touring" should be. It is not about going fast alone. The motorcycle has to be comfortable over extended periods of riding, have room for luggage and should have decent accommodation for a pillion. The KTM does only the "fast" bit. The rest does not exist at all. I find the seat extremely hard. It feels like there is no padding at all. I agree with your idea on taking a really short break every hour or so. That will work.

If your windscreen idea was referring to fixing a Yamaha Fazer windscreen, I am not so sure if I want that. It looks completely out of place on this motorcycle. I may consider it after experiencing the benefits.

You sure have a beefier rear end than mine mayte.
When I meant I disagree, I meant proper touring, not a fast bike. The plus on the 390 is that you can do both that is proper touring on a really fast bike that munches miles like no other in its league.

I did a 1300Km stretch broken into 2 legs. 12hrs + 10hrs and the return leg. At the end of it, no pain anywhere what so ever. While riding it is agreeable that there are some stress points, but they are gone the moment get of the bike and doesn't last like an injury.

Talking about the screen, this is what I have on:

Talking about luggage, this is what I have on:

If you are looking for a saddle bag that doesn't interfere with the pillion, then you can try one of these although they might be much much smaller, but atleast you can have one: http://www.dirtsack.in/products/spee...ts/saddle-bags

Again, with the above points, I have to urge you to try doing proper touring on it with the appropriate mods/additions and perhaps you would have a different opinion.

Again, it's not the most comfortable tourer, but for this price and it being a fast tourer, nothing on the road today even remotely comes close for fast touring. The next step would be a Ninja 650 or the Harley range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_bharadwaj View Post
Yeah, long rides on these bikes are "back killers"!!
Absolutely incorrect. Back pain on this bike is only because of either weak back muscles or bad posture, not bike ergonomics. I had terrible back pain on the pulsars just after hitting 50Kms due to the posture and bad suspension but on the 390 Nil - '0' back pain even after 22Hrs/1300Kms of riding. The suspension if adjustable and is not hard as most claim it to be.

Last edited by Technocrat : 27th December 2013 at 06:31. Reason: added thumbnails for large images. Thanks
Cyrus_the_virus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 15:43   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus_the_virus View Post
Again, with the above points, I have to urge you to try doing proper touring on it with the appropriate mods/additions and perhaps you would have a different opinion.
but for this price and it being a fast tourer, nothing on the road today
I would like to experience that windscreen before putting any money on it. I don't like it. Looks completely out of place on this motorcycle. As someone else had highlighted, a windscreen of the wrong size can go horribly wrong. I need to find something suitable for my height.

I've done a couple of rides in the range of 550km. The seat is too hard. No getting away from this.

Thanks for pointing me to the saddle bags. They look good.

I did highlight the value aspect of the Duke 390. It is a cracker. Beats my Enfield hollow on fast paced touring and being reliable at the same time. On accommodation and comfort, I prefer my Enfield.
Old 27th December 2013, 16:12   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Looks completely out of place on this motorcycle.
The MRA V Flow C type is the most befitting one for the 390 among all the MRA windscreens available in India. It looks like it was meant to be there. Again, photos don't necessarily do justice but the feedback from anyone so far has been positive on how it fits the bike perfectly.

More images here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3314252

Quote:
As someone else had highlighted, a windscreen of the wrong size can go horribly wrong
It's fully adjustable in both slant and height.
Cyrus_the_virus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 16:39   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The MRA V Flow C type is the most befitting one for the 390 among all the MRA windscreens available in India. It looks like it was meant to be there. Again, photos don't necessarily do justice but the feedback from anyone so far has been positive on how it fits the bike perfectly.
I agree. Its the best looking of the different MRA's I have seen fitted by the 390 guys.

But it is BIG.

Have you done before and after acceleration (seat of the pants) and top spee (spedo indicated) tests?

If so could you please PM me the results of the latter? I would be very interested in this hard data based on actual on-road experience rather than subjective claims of "feels faster" etc.
Old 28th December 2013, 01:26   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Have you done before and after acceleration (seat of the pants) and top spee (spedo indicated) tests?

If so could you please PM me the results of the latter? I would be very interested in this hard data based on actual on-road experience rather than subjective claims of "feels faster" etc.
I have but yet to do documented trials. I am waiting for the climate to warm up a little more as I do not want to go out on the highways during this chilly time

My review of the screen is pending due to not having these documented results yet.

Last edited by Cyrus_the_virus : 28th December 2013 at 01:27.
Old 30th December 2013, 12:08   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have but yet to do documented trials. I am waiting for the climate to warm up a little more as I do not want to go out on the highways during this chilly time

My review of the screen is pending due to not having these documented results yet.
I don't need "documented" data bro. As a fellow Team BHPian, your word is good enough for me. I have been hearing of many people slapping these screens on to Dukes in the past couple of months. Not one report on how it has affected their acceleration, or top end. The first things I chaecked after trying them on my own Duke.
Old 30th December 2013, 12:28   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I don't need "documented" data bro. As a fellow Team BHPian, your word is good enough for me. I have been hearing of many people slapping these screens on to Dukes in the past couple of months. Not one report on how it has affected their acceleration, or top end. The first things I chaecked after trying them on my own Duke.
Doc: quick & dirty reply - no ill effect on acceleration. It is the same as before. Top whack - I have not hit top speed either before or after. I am able easily hit & hold 145. Have hit 150 a couple of times. Never went to 160 so can't comment on that
sridhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2013, 13:32   #27
BHPian

Quote:
With the MRA VFlow C type - 145 can be done sitting upright without your head tearing off your torso. 160 is possible with half crouch. 170+ with the screen haven't tried yet. I am actually scared to try those kind of speeds :-( till I find a good closed road that is.
Cyrus_the_virus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2013, 13:44   #28
BHPian

Quote:
With the MRA VFlow C type - 145 can be done sitting upright without your head tearing off your torso. 160 is possible with half crouch. 170+ with the screen haven't tried yet. I am actually scared to try those kind of speeds :-( till I find a good closed road that is.
Cyrus_the_virus, If I understand Doc properly what he meant was the difference in Top end Before installing the WS and After installing the WS. The bike is capable of 170ish speeds as I read some doing it. But has the WS increased this top end or actually reduced the same due to drag factor. This factor determines whether the WS actually aids or restricts the performance of the bike.
and more over as you have the MRA, you can actually test by raising it a bit or changing the angle and come out with the best figures.
Old 30th December 2013, 13:47   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
and more over as you have the MRA, you can actually test by raising it a bit or changing the angle and come out with the best figures.
Ya but if he (or anyone else) is not comfortable, no need to try it. Biking is about enjoying yourself. Not numbers.

Ride safe, and ride responsibly guys.
Old 30th December 2013, 13:52   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Cyrus_the_virus, If I understand Doc properly what he meant was the difference in Top end Before installing the WS and After installing the WS. The bike is capable of 170ish speeds as I read some doing it. But has the WS increased this top end or actually reduced the same due to drag factor. This factor determines whether the WS actually aids or restricts the performance of the bike.
The thing is I didn't really hit above 155 before I had the windscreen coz of lack of closeby good roads, so I can compare it only with regards to windblast and comfort. And since we all know already what the top end of the stock bike is, as and when i find a closed road and the courage to hit 178+ I will surely post the findings

Quote:
Ya but if he (or anyone else) is not comfortable, no need to try it. Biking is about enjoying yourself. Not numbers.

Ride safe, and ride responsibly guys.
You got the point Doc, thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks