Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2014, 18:06   #1
M35
BHPian

Bajaj Avenger 220 DTS-i or something else?

Hello All

I am contemplating on getting a new motorbike and finalized on Bajaj Avenger 220, as of now. The issue is that I have already fallen in love with this beauty in black.

The only other bike that my heart allows me at present is Royal Enfield Electra 350. For some reasons, my wife doesn't like Royal Enfield series.

Almost all the reviews on Avenger agree that the seating comfort for the pillion isn't great. Please give me feedback on this.
  • My budget- Around Rs.1 Lac
  • I am not looking at a normal plain jane commuter
  • As of now inclined towards a comfortable cruiser, open to others as well.
  • Don't want to have backaches for me and pillion
  • Enough power
  • Not so bad FE. Anything around 35-45 km/L should suffice.
  • Basically looking at something for pure riding pleasure and exclusivity
  • It should be reliable as I am planning to keep it for some years.

My biggest concern is the ride comfort for both rider and pillion. Is Avenger 220DTS-i a good choice? or any other options reccomended?

thanks,

P.S:
1. I am 6’0” tall.
2. If the pillion ride is a deal breaker and pathetic, I wouldn't want to punish my wife for my enthusiasm.

Last edited by M35 : 10th January 2014 at 18:09.
M35 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 18:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Bajaj Avenger 220 DTS-i or something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Hello All

I am contemplating on getting a new motorbike and finalized on Bajaj Avenger 220, as of now. The issue is that I have already fallen in love with this beauty in black.

The only other bike that my heart allows me at present is Royal Enfield Electra 350. For some reasons, my wife doesn't like Royal Enfield series.

thanks,
Hi M35

I agree with the not so comfortable rear seat on the Avenger 220, but otherwise it can be a good cruiser for average height rider. I feel it may not be good for 6 feet tall guy like you.

The RE Electra 350 is good, but @ Rs.1.3 lacs, I feel you are stretching your budget more than a bit. Plus, I feel you may have to wait long for laying hands on own Bull in your region (North South bias by the manufacturer). Also, it is manly enough for your height, but, I have experienced tail bone pain on RETB (supposedly the most comfortable RE) & so have others. Moreover, IMO (after owning the RETB for a while ~ 3+ years) the reliability of REs is lower than average. I remember you have a Scorpio, the clutch problem of which gave you real scare with the bill which could have been, if you had not pulled right strings. So would recommend you to stay away from RE for the time being.

I would recommend Yamaha Fazer as a option in your budget, as it ticks all your conditions:
1. Sufficient power (I have read somewhere they are tweaking the mill a bit, for good I believe);
2. Comfortable for both (new ones have wider seats as per website);
3. FE in your expected range;
4. Reliable; &
5. Handsome bike.

Bajaj P200S is another bike in your price range, but I am not sure it would be as comfortable for pillion as the Fazer would be.

Best of Luck with your search
CARDEEP is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 18:43   #3
BHPian

Your wife doesn't like REs. I'm not sure about the new Avenger's rear seat comfort, but what other options do you have in mind, in case someone here tells you the pillion seat is a royal pain in the seat? Do you have other bike options in mind?

The Karizma (not ZMR), years after launch, is still a great contender for highway comfort for both rider and pillion.

You also have the CBR250, although that'll set you back by another 70-90K, again, not sure about pillion comfort. Maybe buy used? I see a few of them on Classifieds.

Last edited by hellmet : 10th January 2014 at 18:45.
hellmet is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 19:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

For pillion comfort, I wouldn't advise Avenger. Following bikes are best for pillion comfort:

1. ZMA/ZMR. Upcoming new one looks good for pillion comfort, if you are ok with the looks.
2. GS150R (longest seat + high seating = happy wife )
3. Unicorn or its siblings in Honda and Hero stables

I think for <1L, I can recommend only these options. CBR I doubt how comfortable it will be for a pillion due to small seat. Forget Duke.

I don't recommend Bajaj products because for me they are the Tata equivalents in cars, great technology for a few years of use, but not forever lasting. I could be strongly wrong, but that's my opinion formed by a few experiences.
ani_meher is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 19:20   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hello All

Almost all the reviews on Avenger agree that the seating comfort for the pillion isn't great. Please give me feedback on this.

[*]My budget- Around Rs.1 Lac[*]I am not looking at a normal plain jane commuter[*]As of now inclined towards a comfortable cruiser, open to others as well.[*]Don't want to have backaches for me and pillion[*]Enough power[*]Not so bad FE. Anything around 35-45 km/L should suffice.[*]Basically looking at something for pure riding pleasure and exclusivity[*]It should be reliable as I am planning to keep it for some years.

My biggest concern is the ride comfort for both rider and pillion. Is Avenger 220DTS-i a good choice? or any other options reccomended?

thanks,

P.S:
1. I am 6'0" tall.
2. If the pillion ride is a deal breaker and pathetic, I wouldn't want to punish my wife for my enthusiasm.
Avenger has an average pillion seat, but comfortable due to the backrest. Problem lies elsewhere- the rear suspension. It is soft- plush for the rider, but bottoms out with a pillion onboard- accentuated by the fact the pillion sits well behind the suspension mount.

If the roads are good, and speeds sane- no issues. But if not careful it can give occasional blows to the pillion.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 19:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello All

Thanks for opening this thread. I am in a similar dilema. I need a 2 wheeler that i can use occasionally for Office Commute which is 15Kms one way and more on weekends to go to nearby areas or jolly rides with wife as roads are too crowded in Mumbai and taking the car out is a big pain.

Initially i thought of a scooter like Dio / Activa / Aviator however bookings are not being taken by the Honda Dealers. They state that these scooters have a 6 month wait plus they dont have a Test Ride vehicle and also asked for 10k additional amount if i want the scoot in lesser time. This kind of high handed behaviour by them made me drop Honda.

Next i thought since i would end up paying around 60k why not get a proper bike as i would enjoy that more anyday over a scooter.

Options

1. Pulsar NS
2. Avenger
3. TB350
4. Duke 200
5. Pre Owned CBR 250

Bajaj again disappointed me by arranging a Test Ride of the NS but it was within their building compound for around 200 metres. Now what can one gauge out of that test ride. Reason given - Temp Registered bike so cant take it on the roads. I just walked away without even looking at Avenger even though i also feel like getting it. My cousin said that the pillion comfort is questionable on the Avenger.

Rode a pals Duke 200 and found it very powerful and highly uncomfortable.

Took TB350 Test Ride from a friend and also at the Showroom. Just loved the relaxed posture but too many rattles, rear brake wont grab at all (on both bikes) and the constant exhaust note which many would love but i didnt enjoy it as after some time it gets anoying. Reliability and Quality is questionable even after paying 1.5 Lakhs.

Now a Used CBR at around 1L though not sure about it. Need to ride it and see.

Many suggest to go for a scoot as that would mean luggage space to carry stuff (Grocery Shopping etc)

Yamaha RayZ is a contender which i might checkout this weekend.

Dont know what the outcome is going to be on my 2 wheeler purchase.
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 20:02   #7
BHPian

I won't recommend avenger for 6' tall guy. I think only guys less than 5'8" can enjoy the laid-back relaxed driving on avenger. No point in buying cruiser if you can't stretch out your legs(i am 5'8" and own one).
Pillion ride is also not so comfortable(never tried the different suspension settings).
All other parameter will be met by the avenger(reliable, good FE, power, exclusivity...).
denomathew is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 20:04   #8
BHPian

Hey M35. I know your wife does not like REs and I know its very difficult to convince someone like that as I was one of the RE-haters till 3 years ago. But I think for your requirements a Thunderbird Twinspark will be the perfect choice. An Electra Twinspark too will be excellent. Keep the used option open as it is very value for money.

I bought my TBTS used and of course there were a few random issues but once rectified owning one is a surreal experience. It is very comfortable, even for a pillion (have ridden pillion for almost 250-300 km on my own bike, in one day).

You will easily find a used TBTS/Electra in very good condition for about 80 grand which even leaves you 20 grand in the plus. I get about 40 kmpl in city easily. I get about 45 or higher on Highways which is astonishing. Services cost about 1200 to 1500 bucks max including random repairs. I have not had a single major break down, touchwood. And of course once you start riding you and your wife will fall for the old-school charm of the RE. Trust me. My wife, who hates bikes, now loves short late night rides with me.

If not buy an Avenger and get the seat modified / replaced with a wider more comfortable seat. I don't think it should be that difficult. But given your height of 6 feet its better you go for something taller. The Hero Karizma / 150 series (CBZ etc) should be pretty comfy.

Cheers

Last edited by thumpingheart : 10th January 2014 at 20:08.
thumpingheart is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 20:41   #9
M35
BHPian

Thanks all, for joining in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Hi M35
I remember you have a Scorpio, the clutch problem of which gave you real scare with the bill which could have been, if you had not pulled right strings. So would recommend you to stay away from RE for the time being.
OT
Thanks for your concern. It was actually the ABS related issue in my Scorpio. If not for the timely support by Mahindra, I would have been looking at half a Lac bill, especially considering the fact that the 4 year warranty period had gotten expired by then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Hi M35
I would recommend Yamaha Fazer as a option in your budget, as it ticks all your conditions:
Bajaj P200S is another bike in your price range, but I am not sure it would be as comfortable for pillion as the Fazer would be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
The Karizma (not ZMR), years after launch, is still a great contender for highway comfort for both rider and pillion.
You also have the CBR250,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
1. ZMA/ZMR. Upcoming new one looks good for pillion comfort, if you are ok with the looks.
2. GS150R (longest seat + high seating = happy wife )
Honestly speaking, I am not very fond of the excessive plastic , the bulkiness and the new generation sporty design most of the current bikes come with. Though looks are subjective, I prefer some thing with less plastic and more classic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I haven't been on bikes in the last 10 years or so, except for a 10 minute torture sitting behind one of my relative's Hero Glamour, a few months back.
I am sure Unicorn would give you a better ride comfort, but lacks the exclusivity I am looking for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
I am in a similar dilema.
Dont know what the outcome is going to be on my 2 wheeler purchase.
Thanks for joining in.
Wish you too to make the right decision, eventually. Hope to see you more often here, with th experiences and search for your ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpingheart View Post
If not buy an Avenger and get the seat modified / replaced with a wider more comfortable seat. I don't think it should be that difficult. But given your height of 6 feet its better you go for something taller.
Thanks for your feedback. Let me take a test ride and share my my findings here.
Old 10th January 2014, 21:46   #10
BHPian

Move on. A friend had a nightmare with that bike. It was so bad, it converted a hardcore bajaj fan from shying away from anything bajaj.
Old 10th January 2014, 22:32   #11
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Hello,
One of the members in my riding group has a avenger. It's a good bike on the highways. I have never tried the rear seat so really can't comment on it. But I have been riding it quite often. The bike has a great feeling while cruising. But it is horrible in the city. Due to its length it gives me a feeling of driving a 2- wheeled car.
But the bike has a lot of niggles associated with it. The biggest problem is with the brakes. I was told by a friend that avenger use the same rear brakes from the pulsar 180. Due to which it is not
Confidence inspiring.
I also have a member who has a 200ns. Recently bike was given for servicing when I was using his ns. It has some real good power. But it is
Not at all comfortable. Both my mom and brother companies of its hard seats. The fuel efficiency that my friend gets is between 28-33kmpl. You can't expect more with a 200cc carb.
I feel within 1lakh the only bike which is comfortable, looks non commuter and stylish with a decent FE is the fz16/fz-s. I am
A Fazer owner but my reasons were different as I couldn't get the a black fz I did not want any other colour so ended up with a fazer. My bike has clocked 19375 kms in 1.8 years. The overall
Ownership experience has been troubled free and fun filled. You can have a look at my ownership review which I will update soon :P
All the best

Asit
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2014, 09:02   #12
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
Move on. A friend had a nightmare with that bike. It was so bad, it converted a hardcore bajaj fan from shying away from anything bajaj.
Mind sharing some more details?
Old 11th January 2014, 09:39   #13
Team-BHP Support

Bajaj Pulsar 200 NS

Bajaj Pulsar 220 Street (P-220 w/o fairing)

Yamaha FZ

Hero Karzima ZMR/ Hero Karizma-R (sans plastic), I have seen quite a few with round headlamp & it looks good.

A pre owned Honda CBR-250R

^ I would suggest to have a test ride with your pillion prior to finalizing one.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2014, 13:19   #14
BHPian

I was in the same situation a few months back. Had a budget of 1L, wanted a bike which I could use on long runs as well as double up in facing the daily & crazy city traffic. Test rode almost all that fell in my budget and then short listed the 200NS.
Brownie points earned by the 200 NS:
1. Technologically this is the best under 1L. Gearing is quite good and you can ride in top gear at 40 km/h also.
2. Ride quality is much better than a lot of other bikes.
3. Maintenance is much easier, have the bike with me know for almost 8 months and no going to the service centre except for the regular free services.
4. Brakes are really good. Unfortunately I am still on stock tyres so emergency stops have been scary some times. My neighbour's same bike is on Pirellis and the braking has gone several notches up.
5. Waiting time is as crazy as RE, also hopefully you will be treated in a much better way at Bajaj showroom than a RE one. RE showroom didnt even give me a TD, where-as Bajaj gave me one when the showroom was just about to shut for the day.

Buy RE only - If you have ample time on hand and a host of patience to deal with a bike that will throw tantrums typically like a teenage girl.
Maverick1977 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 11th January 2014, 19:27   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Hello All

From one 6 footer to another: If I were you I would go for the Karizma R. Nice overall stance of the bike, tried and tested, decent power and even the seat is comfortable for the pillion. (I think, since if it is going to get replaced soon, can't one push for some discount too?)

I wouldn't suggest the 200NS in your case because of the 'split seat' which will cause comfort issues to your better half.

Other excellent options -
GS150r (butter smooth engine, 6th cog for smooth highway cruising), Unicorn (more of butter here , butter smooth engine and butter smooth gear shifting)

All the 3 have a continuous seat and your wife won't feel as if she is on the 1st floor as in the case of 200ns and r15.

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks