Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2014, 00:30   #1
BHPian

Tork India's FZ16 Electric motorcycle w/ 40 bhp - Will it change the way we commute?

Hello bhpians,
I stumbled upon this amazing build by, TORK.

Details:
Motor: 40bhp peak motor capacity
Controller: 80kw controller on board.
120kmph Top speed. (With a fixed gear ratio)
Battery Capacity: 4Kwh
Peak Torque: 60Nm
80km on a charge city mode (India)
40Km on sports riding
4 hours for complete charge
Weight around: 150kg
0-100kmph: 8.7 seconds
Developed as a engine replacement for the FZ16
The motor mount acts the stressed member with the frame
Complete bolt on design without any welding on the existing frame
Read more here: Tork India

I am quite surprised by the lack of publicity and information about this genious of a bike. I feel the guys at TORK need more visibility for such a great job!!

Shall i buy it ? 100%. My commute is about 20 km/day and this will be insane fun way to commute.

Source
Attached Thumbnails
Tork India's FZ16 Electric motorcycle w/ 40 bhp - Will it change the way we commute?-1395934_10151655789896755_94956844_n.jpg  

Last edited by adityasiera : 15th January 2014 at 00:33.
adityasiera is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 02:23   #2
BHPian

re: Tork India's FZ16 Electric motorcycle w/ 40 bhp - Will it change the way we commute?

Brilliant efforts!!
60NM!! ideally from 0 rpm! would be a hoot to ride!
Wish I could get my Fazer with it..
And wish it had something like a CVT to alter the gear ratio for cruising!
The only thing which would not work for me is the range. A bit low considering my use. But then, battery range and weight are inversely related :P
Na_sh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 02:36   #3
BHPian

re: Tork India's FZ16 Electric motorcycle w/ 40 bhp - Will it change the way we commute?

Imagine pulling up on this next to an uncle, then he'd say say,"Beta, engine off karke bike nahin chalate, bike kharaab ho jayegi naa"

Don't tell me that the bike, on the whole, itself is for sale, maybe it's just the electric motor that's up for modification for existing fz owners? It's an absolutely swell thing to zip around on an electric bike and look on the bright side, the tank could be cut and made into a storage area. Not bad, not bad at all.
createrkid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 03:10   #4
BHPian

Very interesting! If only the motor is available i wonder how RTO approvals can be got to make it street legal.

I have a feeling that this is just a concept to showcase the technology so auto companies could think of buying the technology from them. This would involve considerable costs if it has to be "converted" on a per vehicle basis.
deep_bang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 06:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

Isnt the top speed a bit low considering the electric motor makes 40 bhp? I mean yes the point of an electric motorcycle isnt top speed but then again, why not use a smaller motor for range instead. All said, very nice job especially considering its almost bolt on.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 08:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

I will also buy this with my eyes shut. The range is acceptable for my kind of usage and its freedom from petrol bills. They should somehow get this into the mass-market, will spur on more manufacturers to go down the same road

I've always wondered, what is it that stops manufacturers from giving us an "automatic" bike? If the Activa can dethrone the Splendor, being costlier than the Splendor, giving less mileage than the Splendor just because it is an automatic and has luggage space, there is a lesson to be learnt there
TheARUN is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 18:35   #7
BHPian

Wow. This certainly is an amazing project. And the best part is this is an Indian company which has worked with a commuter bike and not something inaccessible. It will be a massively fun to drive city bike. Someone who travels a lot in the city and uses a car for longer/out station drives will definitely benefit from this technology.

But disadvantages remain, if the person is a bike enthusiast he will have to maintain two bikes, this and another for pleasure/weekend riding. Also this will be pretty expensive to fit on the bike won't it? Its more of a well off persons toy, unless it is mass produced and costs under 1 lac.
Old 15th January 2014, 18:47   #8
BHPian

Well, it's all speculative isn't it? We don't know whether its a bolt on kit or as a fully built bike, is it for sale, is the RTO gonna approve it and a host of other questions.

The million dollar question for me, how much does it cost?
Old 15th January 2014, 20:47   #9
BHPian

I did a search on Olx and Quikr, and FZs are available for as low as 25-30k.

I am hoping for a 1.2L figure with the donor bike. I have reached out to the the Tork guys as well as the Agni motor guys to provide an estimate for Motors and controllers.

The battery used is a Kokam LI-Poly battery
http://www.kokam.com/new/kokam_en/sub01/sub01_02.html

keeping my fingers crossed. This may make me cancel my Bull 500 booking and plonk the money into this.

Just got an email back from Agni motors, here is what they have to say..

Quote:
Dear Adi,
The 95 model cost 750 GBP (British pounds), for rupees rate it will be the exchange rate at the time of order placed.
We can direct you to a suitable battery manufacture where you will have to import them. For these battery packs we can provide the Battery Management System.
Standard warranty is 1 year.

Kind Regards,
Has

Agni Motors
37/38, Sector - 1,
Kandla special economic zone
Gandhidham 370230 Gujarat (Kutch)
India

Last edited by adityasiera : 15th January 2014 at 20:52.
adityasiera is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2014, 09:17   #10
BHPian

Wow! That's a brilliant effort. 40 kms with a 4 hour charge isn't bad really. But as pointed out, the real question is how will this be registered with the RTO? They will either resist registering it or be ignorant.

Also imagine pulling up to someone on the red light and getting the question ''Kitne deti hai?
keshavarora is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2014, 10:21   #11
BHPian

Wow! This is a real good and positive direction for the Indian biking scene.

I was wondering, what would be the purpose of keeping the tank? Is there something additional that can be done? Or may be we can turn the tank into a storage?
Old 16th January 2014, 11:30   #12
Senior - BHPian

I think electric vehicle makes most sense in city riding/driving since the traction motor has insane torque at standstill. Which means no changing gears with speed.

LOVELY concept. In fact I was seeing a show where they were telling about electric bike which looks and feels exactly like a petrol bike.
In fact they had put a lag in the throttle response to simulate an IC engine characteristics. Blipping throttle otherwise on the electric vehicle would cause it to literally jump out of its skin - which most people are not used to!
alpha1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2014, 09:46   #13
BHPian

My 5 star to this.
Really a blessing for daily city riders. I wish people will look long term benefits rather just money spent today. Over and above it will help protect environment as well with or without riders intentions.
Old 17th January 2014, 11:38   #14
BHPian

Very nice to see an Indian retrofitted electric vehicle that is actually done up well. Doesn't look like an engineering project. Is this India's Tesla? From the figures, it sounds quite fun to ride as well. Silent, quick and fast. And about, the RTO thing, I have seen many Hero electric vehicles around.

A few doubts.

Battery capacity is measured in Ah, and kWh is a unit of energy, mostly used as a billing unit. So that figure of '4Kwh' seems wrong. 4Ah is too less and 4k Ah wouldn't fit on a bike.

Talking about petrol bills, what is the cost / km for the juice? Unless somebody has free electricity, this too costs money to run. Any info on the charging system? With that the energy consumption could be calculated.

Now, before jumping on the environment wagon, let us remember that this needs charging, and 66% of India's electricity is generated from fossil fuels. This bike and a 1kVA solar charger would be the environmental answer.
Ayson is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2014, 12:16   #15
BHPian

+1 to that Ayson.

I have seen that people forget to think about whre the electricity is generated from. A major chunk of electricity is either from Diesel/Coal burning power stations which is just as polluting as our fossil fuel burning automobiles.

A solar powered charger is the answer if you want to be truly environment friendly in terms of electricity production.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks