Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2014, 17:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Michelin Pilot Road 2 & Pilot Street Radial Motorcycle Tyres launched

Yeah friends in the CBR group have already been using it and have only good reviews of the tyre.

The Contigo surely does not inspire - I have managed 19K kms on it but will change to the Michelins once I touch 20K kms. I can feel the Contigo slide everytime I take a hard turn. Worse in the wet.

How the prices in Bangalore? Lowest quoted? I got a return call from X-Torque last week but stupid me forgot the prices they quoted.
Old 25th February 2014, 14:59   #17
BHPian

Michelin Pilot Road Street Radial Motorcycle Tyres -Poor Handlers?

Just wanted to shhare my experience with the michelins!

After a set of IRCs which came with the original bike and 4 sets of Pirellis on my NInja 250R, I was on the look out for another set of tyres. Since IRCs are costly at 20K and Pirelli sport demons are no longer available for want of ISI mark, it was a great boon for sport bike riders like me when michelin announced their Pilot street radials in India.

So i got a pair of michelin pilot street radials 110/70/17 and 130/70/17 for my bike. At the first ride out of the tyre shop i was baffled at how hard the handle had become. The flickability of the bike had been lost and the handle was heavy. Had to hard counter steer the bike to turn it.
  • Checked the air pressure again and it was 28 psi.
  • Checked the direction of tread to make it doubly sure
  • My front fork springs was changed around 12000 kms back so that shouldnt be the problem. It was not giving any problems on the pirellis anyways.
  • Scrubbed in the tyre for 150kms and still the problem persists
Just wanted to check if any one of you have faced this problem with michelins or any pointers as to what could be wrong? Could it be the case of a poor side wall flex?
JayKis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2014, 15:09   #18
Senior - BHPian

Re: Michelin Pilot Road Street Radial Motorcycle Tyres -Poor Handlers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKis View Post
So i got a pair of michelin pilot street radials 110/70/17 and 130/70/17 for my bike. At the first ride out of the tyre shop i was baffled at how hard the handle had become. The flickability of the bike had been lost and the handle was heavy. Had to hard counter steer the bike to turn it.
  • Checked the air pressure again and it was 28 psi.
  • Checked the direction of tread to make it doubly sure
  • My front fork springs was changed around 12000 kms back so that shouldnt be the problem. It was not giving any problems on the pirellis anyways.
  • Scrubbed in the tyre for 150kms and still the problem persists
Thanks for the real life feedback. Though I am not convinced the 140 section tyre would fit on the rear alloy of my Duke anyways. There is no over-bulge to the sides of the stock 150 section tyre. So the 140 section might really be too small.
Old 5th May 2014, 18:23   #19

How about these ?
http://www.ebay.in/itm/110-70-17-150...-/290609243370
Old 22nd September 2014, 18:46   #20
Senior - BHPian

Anyone know how much the Pilot Streets are retailing for now? And availability? Will be changing the rear on my CBR next month.
Old 23rd September 2014, 01:52   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Anyone know how much the Pilot Streets are retailing for now? And availability? Will be changing the rear on my CBR next month.
In Calcutta it's pretty much available. Can't say for certain about Bangalore but I'm assuming it's definitely available off the shelf. A friend changed shoes on his Duke 200 and it costed him about 9.5k for the set.
Old 12th December 2014, 11:53   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKis View Post
Just wanted to shhare my experience with the michelins!

[*]Scrubbed in the tyre for 150kms and still the problem persists[/list]Just wanted to check if any one of you have faced this problem with michelins or any pointers as to what could be wrong? Could it be the case of a poor side wall flex?
I agree with your findings. I own a Duke 200 and had bought the Michelin Pilot Street for the front rim of my bike a few days back. Compared to the MRF Revz and the Pirelli Sport Demon that I was using earlier, The Pilot Street is a real pain when it comes to flickabilty. The front end feels dead and heavy. Even the worn Pirelli I was using was giving me better feedback and handling. The front end also feels like the tyre is mounted the wrong way of rotation, But it is fit the right way.

I'm having a hard time getting used with the change in handling and went wide a couple of times after trying hard to get to grips with the new dynamics. I never had this much issue after getting a new tyre and before breaking it in. Wish I had done some more research before buying this tyre and read your feedback earlier.

As of at the moment, I'm waiting and keeping my fingers crossed till the tyre runs some 500Kms to break in properly. At the moment its just run under 150Kms on the new Michelin and I hope I did not make a big mistake.

Last edited by jalex77 : 12th December 2014 at 11:56.
Old 12th December 2014, 12:09   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Recently bought it for the 390. Cost me 5.4K including fitting. Check at Tyre Empire near Varthur lake.
Old 12th December 2014, 19:19   #24
BHPian

I am not in India so this might be slightly irrelevant, but I had a set of Michelin Pilot Road 3's on my 600c Fazer and I got over 30,000 kilometers out of it doing mostly motorway / commuter runs. Great tyres compared to the Bridgestone BT023 I had before changing to PR3. I still have the PR3 front (well due a change) and a PR4 at the rear. Again, very confidence inspiring tyre for wet / cold weather that I always get here.
Positron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2015, 14:22   #25
BHPian

I changed to Michellin Pilot Sporty Radial for my NS200 rear 130 70 r17 and pretty happy till date (380kms on the odo of the new bike). I drove the stock "Euroslip" for 60kms and it should have slipped 5 times.

Now I'm waiting to change the front tyre but not getting 100 80 r17 on the pilot sporty. Any suggestions?
Old 21st February 2015, 09:40   #26
BHPian

Now that the Michelin pilot street radials are avail in 150/60 size, it it advisible to get them for the Duke 390 or stick to 140/70 whose taller sidewall protects the rims.

How will the difference in size affect handling and cornering ability?
Old 21st February 2015, 12:41   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
[/list]There is no over-bulge to the sides of the stock 150 section tyre. So the 140 section might really be too small.
Hey Doc!

Given that the 120 ceats fit on the rear rim without issues, would 140 really be a problem?

Ps - excellent to see you on the forum after a long hiatus. Hope things are well with you

Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2015, 13:08   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Hey Doc!

Given that the 120 ceats fit on the rear rim without issues, would 140 really be a problem?
I guess not. Though I'm not sure whether these are fitted with or without an inner tube. Either way, they are perfect for a Ladakh ride or one in broken, slushy hilly terrain where you are anyways not going to be doing very high speeds or any extreme cornering.

For guys who plan to ride to the north from down south, instead of packing their bikes on a train, it would make sense to ride till Delhi or even Chandigarh on the Metzelers, and then change them for the Ceats there. Then change back on the return leg (leave the Metzs with a friend or at the shop itself if he's a trusted guy (mark them properly with a permanent marker beforehand just in case), and courier the Ceats back home.

Quote:
Ps - excellent to see you on the forum after a long hiatus. Hope things are well with you

Thanks bro. Been quite tied up at work and with son's 12 std exams (they start on Monday). That's one part of school I do not miss.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2015, 22:59   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I guess not. Though I'm not sure whether these are fitted with or without an inner tube. Either way, they are perfect for a Ladakh ride or one in broken, slushy hilly terrain where you are anyways not going to be doing very high speeds or any extreme cornering.

For guys who plan to ride to the north from down south, instead of packing their bikes on a train, it would make sense to ride till Delhi or even Chandigarh on the Metzelers, and then change them for the Ceats there. Then change back on the return leg (leave the Metzs with a friend or at the shop itself if he's a trusted guy (mark them properly with a permanent marker beforehand just in case), and courier the Ceats back home.
Hi doc,

which CEAT tyres are you recommending for ladakh and broken hill roads? is it the Ceat vertigo sport?
I bought an AS200 today, came with euroslips, want to change them soon. I stay at solan (HP) and will be driving and touring majorly in the himalyas.
Want good grip on broken , wet roads and slush. will not be speeding or carving fast corners. Which tyre and size do you recommend for this usage? stock size is same as 200NS 110/80-17 and 130/70-17.
Old 9th June 2015, 11:37   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
Hi doc,

which CEAT tyres are you recommending for ladakh and broken hill roads? is it the Ceat vertigo sport?
I bought an AS200 today, came with euroslips, want to change them soon. I stay at solan (HP) and will be driving and touring majorly in the himalyas.
Want good grip on broken , wet roads and slush. will not be speeding or carving fast corners. Which tyre and size do you recommend for this usage? stock size is same as 200NS 110/80-17 and 130/70-17.
Sorry I missed replying to your post bro. Saw it at home on the phone and it slipped my mind the next day.

Ya one option of course are the Vertigo Sports of CEAT. The rear 120/80 17 one is tubeless type, but the front 110/80 17 one is tube type.

I actually found the Vertigo Sport to lack gravel/off road grip compared to proper button tyres like Secura Sport or Dunlop Unigrips (which I use on my Bullet in R19 size) because the central buttons are linked and not separate. But yes in this size there is not a whole lot of choice you have.

One new option which you could try is Ralco or Ralson Tyres (Ludhiana). They have a nice looking rear 120/80 17 tyre tubeless type which is a more modern on-off road pattern compared to the retro big block pattern of the Vertigo Sport. Its a new product called the Speed Blaster.

Michelin Pilot Road 2 & Pilot Street Radial Motorcycle Tyres launched-speedblasternormal.jpg

The same is available in 100/90 17 as well. But like the Vertigo Sport front, in tube type.

I saw it just yesterday while checking out their Durasport button rear tyre for my next change on my Bullet (the soft compound Dunlops will need a change soon). I like the pattern a lot and it should do very well on all/most surfaces -

Michelin Pilot Road 2 & Pilot Street Radial Motorcycle Tyres launched-bigdurasport_1.jpg

Incidentally this pattern they have in 3.00 x 17 as well (narrower than stock for you though).

Another very nice button pattern they have is the Cascade. This looks a lot more aggressive and should be very good off road but sadly it comes in 2.75 x 17 (which is even narrower than the above Durasport 3.00 x 17). Take a look -

Michelin Pilot Road 2 & Pilot Street Radial Motorcycle Tyres launched-cascade.jpg

Hope that helps.
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed