Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2014, 11:53   #1
Senior - BHPian

Michelin Pilot Road 2 & Pilot Street Radial Motorcycle Tyres launched

Michelin has launched its ISI marked Pilot Road 2 and Pilot Street Radial tyres for motorbike riders in India. The Pilot Road 2 is primarily meant for the 500+cc segment of motorbikes and the Pilot Street Radial targets the 250cc-500cc segment of motorbikes.

The Pilot Road 2 is claimed to be manufactured with 2-compound technology borrowed from Michelin’s learnings from MotoGP technology. This tyre offers softer rubber on the shoulders for grip and harder rubber in the centre for increased mileage.

The Pilot Street Radial has been designed with two HMLS (High Modulus Low Shrinkage) Polyester carcass plies, providing the required rigidity for better handling performance & endurance. It is supported by a 0o circumferential belt made of aramid material for better contact patch.

The Pilot Road 2 is available in sizes of 120/70 ZR17 (58W), 180/55 ZR17 (73W) and 190/55 ZR17 (73W) and price ranging from Rs. 8,772 to Rs. 12,808. The Pilot Street Radial is available in sizes of 110/70 R17, 130/70 R17 and 140/70 R17 and price ranging from Rs. 4,502 to Rs. 5,927.

For more details on the product and its availability, please visit www.motorcycle.michelin.in
Attached Thumbnails
Michelin Pilot Road 2 & Pilot Street Radial Motorcycle Tyres launched-img_9255.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 15th January 2014 at 13:14. Reason: Typo
parrys is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 12:12   #2
BHPian

re: Michelin Pilot Road 2 & Pilot Street Radial Motorcycle Tyres launched

Finally some good news in the two-wheeler tyre market. I've been fed up looking at four-wheelers spoilt for choice while we've been treated with products like Ralson and Ceat Dhoom3 tyres.
dreamseller is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 12:17   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
The Pilot Street Radial is available in sizes of 110/70 R17, 130/70 R17 and 140/70 R17 and price ranging from Rs. 4,502 to Rs. 5,927.
130/70 is a good replacement for r15 v2 rear tyre. But is it better than the MRF Rev z which are hard to find? Will wait and watch this space.
Akhilash95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 12:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhilash95 View Post
130/70 is a good replacement for r15 v2 rear tyre. But is it better than the MRF Rev z which are hard to find? Will wait and watch this space.
I have decided to go for these Michelin Pilot Street Radials for my Duke 200. Even though the 140 section rear tyre is narrower than the 150 section stock MRF Revz. The tyre height should be around the same as the Michelin is 140/70 while the MRF is 150/60. If anything the Michelin will be a tad taller, which is a good thing from a touring perspective as also for protection of the alloy rims on bad surfaces. And the Street Radials are reputed to have fantastic wet grip, which is somewhat lackng in the MRF Revz (which are great in the dry though). My cousin just put these on his Ninja 250 and he is having a ball on them (compared to his original IRCs).
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 13:09   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
My cousin just put these on his Ninja 250 and he is having a ball on them (compared to his original IRCs).
Just what I needed to hear, doc. I ordered them for my 250 a couple of minutes back. The stock Contigos are seriously inadequate.
dreamseller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 13:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: Michelin Pilot Road 2 & Pilot Street Radial Motorcycle Tyres launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseller View Post
Just what I needed to hear, doc. I ordered them for my 250 a couple of minutes back. The stock Contigos are seriously inadequate.
See the way I see it, the Michelins will cost around 9.5 to 10K (my cousin got a good deal at around 9K though). The Pirelli Sport Demons are suposed to be really good as well, and would cost around the same, IF you can get them. They have dried up in the market, and if at all you can get them with some guy, they will definitely be old stock. Would prefer fresh rubber any day. Plus they are heavier tyres than the Michelins, and while most of us have not tried the Street Radials extensively yet, from the reviews I read on the net, the Street Radials internationally are ahead on wet grip to many reputed international brands/models, so its safe to assume they would be at least as good as the PSDs if not better.

The other two options we have are the MRF Revz which is a good Indian tyre (if not the best) but itself is around 7.5K for a set. And it is not completely confidence inspiring in the wet, especially while cornering, or gassing/braking when leaned over. The other end of the spectrum is the Metzeler Sportec M5, which is undiputably the best in class tyre, even internationally, but then it costs more than twice of the Michelins and the PSDs at 18-19K a set (subsidized by Bajaj - open market guys are quoting 23-24K for the same).

Last edited by ebonho : 15th January 2014 at 13:34.
ebonho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 14:15   #7
BHPian

The Pilot Streets are great tyres at that price and definitely sit well above MRF Rev-Z and other options. I have been using them on my Ninja for 2+ months now and am very happy with them in pretty much every condition.
Great grip in dry+wet, no braking shudder, good grip around corners.

I am interested to see a comparison between Pilot Road 2 and Metz M5. Wondering if the Pilot Road 2 be a viable alternative for Duke 390 and others looking for a top notch performance tyre.

On the other options available, my take is Metz M5 > PSD = Pilot Street Radial >> MRF Rev Z > daylight > Conti Go (based on my usage only)

Quote:
I have decided to go for these Michelin Pilot Street Radials for my Duke 200. My cousin just put these on his Ninja 250 and he is having a ball on them
I see your cousin took my reco on the Street radials; didn't know you put them on the 200 too! Interesting choice as the tyre profiles are quite different -will look out for your updates on how they perform.
niranjanrvce is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 14:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
I see your cousin took my reco on the Street radials; didn't know you put them on the 200 too! Interesting choice as the tyre profiles are quite different -will look out for your updates on how they perform.
Yup. We tried for the pricier dual compound Road 2's, but they were not available in the sizes we wanted. So not sure how you are going to get them for the 390 as an alternative to the Metz M5.

I have not got the Street Radials for my Duke yet. I was saying that when its time to change my Revz, another 5000 odd kms later, then I'll shift to the Michelins.
Old 15th January 2014, 14:59   #9
BHPian

I am also really contemplating the Pilot Streets, since the PSD's are currently off the shelf. Please let me know how good they are, someone who has used them for sometime atleast.
My usage is extensive touring on my Pulsar 200NS. In Kolkata, the Michelin set is costing about 10K for Rear-130/70 and Front-110/70

That said, however the new stock of PSDs will be available in Kolkata after 20th, priced as follows:

Rear:
130/70 R17 : 4200 INR
140/70 R17 : 4700 INR

Front:
100/80 R17 : 3400 INR
110/70 R17 : 3800 INR

I wish my tyres hold up for my trip so that I can get the PSDs again, and as stated above is very good pricing considering the current market scenario. If someone wants the tyres, please drop me a PM for dealer information.

Last edited by preetam_KORG : 15th January 2014 at 15:02.
preetam_KORG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 15:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

Ideally Preetam, I (most of us here) would like to hear from someone with a fast bike who has tried both the PSDs and the Pilot Street Radials back to back in similar riding conditions and usage and then report. The PSD info is news to me - will check here as well.

Last edited by ebonho : 15th January 2014 at 16:09.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 16:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

Last month, i picked up a Pirelli 130/70/17 tire at Millivision Mktg. on Lalbagh road, Blore for the rear wheel of my Ninja.

They already had stock of these Michelin's and IIRC they were quoting around 6.5k for the 130 profile tire.

This is definitely good news for the CBR 250, Ninja 250 and other similar bike owners out there.

It's been tough sourcing tires in the 110/70/17 and 130/70/17 sizes, esp. with Pirelli Sport Demon's. When I had to replace the rear tire on my Ninja, i bought the PSD and kept it at home for over 8 months. Did the same for the front and now again doing the same for the rear

Thankfully we have a reliable option now and hope Michelin has enough stock to meet the demand.

Edit - My next set will be the Michelin's. Eager to check how they fare against the PSD's.

Last edited by n_aditya : 15th January 2014 at 16:08.
Old 15th January 2014, 16:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Thankfully we have a reliable option now and hope Michelin has enough stock to meet the demand.

Edit - My next set will be the Michelin's. Eager to check how they fare against the PSD's.
Aditya, at the rate KTMs are going off the shelves compared to the Ninjas and the CBRs, I am surprised that they are not offering a 150 section tyre. The 140 will fit on our rims, but a 150 would have been perfect.

Hope Michelin India is reading and listening! (sorry for shouting)

Last edited by ebonho : 15th January 2014 at 16:13.
Old 15th January 2014, 16:25   #13
BHPian

Quote:
I (most of us here) would like to hear from someone with a fast bike who has tried both the PSDs and the Pilot Street Radials back to back in similar riding conditions and usage and then report.
Doc,

The only reason I am not taking the plunge with the Michelins is the price. It is almost 30% more expensive than the PSDs and because of the PSDs, my expectations are very high from whatever I put next!
I am not sure if the Michelins will be able to exceed that expectation at that price point, which it should. All said and done, the Michelins look really promising. I will be here in Kolkata for couple more days, and if I get a good response from people who's used both, I will go in for the Michelins!

PS:
The dealer told me that the tyre life of the Michelins is lower than the PSDs. He rated the PSDs at 30K Kms and the Michelins at 20K Kms.
I can report however that with extensive usage my PSDs are coming to the end of life and has about 5K kilometres on them left, which makes it about 23K Kms, so the Michelins will last at best to 15K Kms, if the dealer is to be believed. Just a point, not a concern.
preetam_KORG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 16:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by preetam_KORG View Post
The only reason I am not taking the plunge with the Michelins is the price. It is almost 30% more expensive than the PSDs and because of the PSDs, my expectations are very high from whatever I put next!
Very valid point bro. At 30% cheaper, they would be in the 7K / set range. Which is what the MRF Revz are retialing for. A No-Brainer then actually provided you have availability. No 150 section in PSD as well? Please share the name of the dealer and his contact details with me. I'll see if I can have someone get them over from Kolkata.

Last edited by ebonho : 15th January 2014 at 16:54.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 16:58   #15
BHPian

Quote:

Very valid point bro. At 30% cheaper, they would be in the 7K / set range. Which is what the MRF Revz are retialing for. A No-Brainer then actually provided you have availability. No 150 section in PSD as well?
No luck with 150 section in the PSD either, atleast not with the dealer I enquired at.
Also with outright comparison between the PSDs and the REVZ, its again a no brainer in terms of outright grip and longevity to the PSDs. The only hindrance is availability! :'(
preetam_KORG is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed