Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2014, 10:58   #31
BHPian

Re: Pictures: India Bike Week 2014

To enter the venue you had to buy a pass. If you had a bike they would give you a tag for it, with that you would be able to enter and park your bike inside. This was how it was when i entered on the first day in the morning. The Harleys had a separate parking on either side of the central aisle, which they got since HD was the main sponsor of the event i guess.
The parking for the non Harleys was smaller compared to last year and got full quite fast. In the evening they were allowing Harleys and Superbikes to enter since it was full, i wasn't allowed to enter on my rented 200cc bike and parked the bike in the outer parking just outside the main arena. Note that this was just outside the main arena and not near the road.
I think its was justifiable to allow only the bigger bikes to get closer parking since it would afford more safety for them, since there is a universal tendency to first look, then touch, then start fiddling with the throttle and what not by the general public.
slicvic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2014, 10:59   #32
BHPian

Parrys, thanks for the tons of pictures! I would have liked to be there and your pictures almost transported me to the venue.

The custom bikes sure are interesting, right from the custom Pulsar to the button gear twin-tyre beauty and the 'hubless' black beauty.

Motorcycling is finally coming of age in India and how!
Old 22nd January 2014, 11:49   #33
Mik
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Being a biker, given a choice, would you ride here (in this mela) or go on a trip? I believe, choice is obvious & it is all about priorities.

I thought I was missing the fun, till I read the comments from the first IBW organized and about the lesser bikers (with less cubic capacity) being unfairly treated.
I am, probably unfairly, cynical of this commercially supported and over-rated 'biker brotherhood'. After seeing the absolute wannabes with their fake tattoo sleeves and 'hell's angels wannabe' kind of get-up, I actually feel like laughing. It would have been so much better if Harley had enforced strict riding gear code on these mid-life crisis hit louts.
I have all the respect for anyone who picks up riding for the sheer experience of an harley or to do something different in life and I can tolerate people who just pose around on their weekend breakfast rides tomtomming about 'biking' But, lidless jokers really get my goat.

However, the show does give platform to other aspects of motorcycling and to various companies which are in the business and I am all for its success.
Mik is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 00:54   #34
BHPian

Parrys,
Wonderful photographs & excellent coverage of the event. Thank you! Disappointed to see so many riders without helmets and even the stunt riders are not wearing proper riding gear. Safety seems to have become a forgotten factor at this event.
The hogs seemed to have hogged all the limelight and the space. I guess they are entitled to it as they were the main sponsors. I am sure that the show will get better year after year.
Regards,
Ashok
ashphil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 06:07   #35
Senior - BHPian

Lovely Pictures & extremely glad to see a biking event of this scale happening in India
Old 23rd January 2014, 09:44   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
Not really, any one could buy a tag for their motorcycle to enter the actual IBW parking lot. May be BHPian aviorp can share details about this.

And for those who did not buy the tag, there was ample parking space outside.
Not just about parking, but the way one was treated in the earlier iteration of IBW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
I am, probably unfairly, cynical of this commercially supported and over-rated 'biker brotherhood'. After seeing the absolute wannabes with their fake tattoo sleeves and 'hell's angels wannabe' kind of get-up, I actually feel like laughing. It would have been so much better if Harley had enforced strict riding gear code on these mid-life crisis hit louts.
I couldn't have put it better. And maybe (for sure it is), mine & Mik's Motorcycling is different from what was on offer.

Quote:
I have all the respect for anyone who picks up riding for the sheer experience of an harley or to do something different in life and I can tolerate people who just pose around on their weekend breakfast rides tomtomming about 'biking' But, lidless jokers really get my goat.
Quote:
However, the show does give platform to other aspects of motorcycling and to various companies which are in the business and I am all for its success.
This is where I think events like these make sense, but then, its commercial.

How much does one have to pay for a ticket? And what goodies do come with it?
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 10:13   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
How much does one have to pay for a ticket? And what goodies do come with it?
Tickets were priced at 3000 for 2 days but were available for cheaper in some hotels in goa.

Once you parked your bike inside you got a lot of thick Goa dirt as the take home goodies.

Everything else was chargeable.
slicvic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 11:07   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
saw many riders reaching Goa on my return drive from goa and the best was while crossing Belgaum town around 4.30pm the whole traffic was stopped on one side and some 60-80 harleys rumbling down the town was kickass i badly wanted to abandon my scorpio and hitch hike with any of those bikers. Pure Music to ears.
I was part of that riding group, the "Riders Republic". There were 82 bikes!
What a ride.

Last edited by jyobeb : 23rd January 2014 at 11:10.
jyobeb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 12:17   #39
Senior - BHPian

over all it was a good event but still needs some more improvements. Imagine guys who all rode down to goa from different states have to park their bikes in sun and roam around. venue should have been in shade like Auto Expo etc.

Too many events were happening at the same time so you cant really attend all.

I think best part was to ride from Mumbai to Goa. Paisa Wasool even before we reached the venue.
Old 27th January 2014, 19:41   #40
Senior - BHPian

A fantastic photo documentary. Many Thanks for the inspiration. Would've been great fun to be there (maybe I'll make it one of these years).

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
An ambulance followed the HOG convoy. Still, I wonder why majority of the riders were not geared up.
(& re: other safety-related comments too many to find again & multiquote...)

A little history of the helmet dilemma in in H-D's homeland: It was biker clubs specifically who lobbied pretty consistently against helmet laws. The (unrealistic to the point of humor) H-O-G "Pledge" surely came in sometime after Hogs became mainstream weekend playthings for the otherwise mundane professional classes. In Pennsylvania where I lived, the law was finally brought in, but repealed a few years later when the powers-that-be finally realized (I think) that it cost a lot more state money to support a permanently disabled (i.e., bodily paralyzed / severely brain-damaged) citizen after a serious road accident, vs. if the poor fellow had just died on the spot. A bit sick-minded, perhaps, but then, it's evident that a lot of bikers would rather die riding than spend the next three decades slowly wasting away in a bed or institution. Being a rider myself, I can empathize with that sentiment (assuming a readiness to meet one's Maker), though I also believe that in India, where road speeds are typically much lower vs. the U.S., well-geared up, relatively sane riders can probably survive most accidents without life-altering injuries (the same cannot be said when you crash at 160+kmph). Thus I do wear a helmet nearly always, and additional full gear when I head out onto more challenging and/or unknown roads.

For some interesting "commentary" on mid-life crises / helmet use and the apparent conflict between spurious outlaw-type posers / weekend warriors and "Real Bikers", you might not do better than Hollywood's film "Wild Hogs". It's relatively entertaining, too (even our one-year-old watched it over and over). I won't reveal its own conclusion on the topic, but suffice it to say that as with humans in general, "it takes all types". The Bike Week photos prove the diversity of machinery / riding interests / mindsets of attendees. Personally, I've no interest in putting on a fake tatoo... but then, nobody has to look as far as a fringe biking community to find serious posers...

Thanks again,
-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 27th January 2014 at 19:45.
ringoism is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 00:06   #41
BHPian

Parry's,
What a fantastic report.And the pictures are awesome,felt like i actually went there.But you will definitely miss the adrenaline in photos.Its nice to see Bikers and Biking evolve in a responsible way.

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th January 2014 at 16:44. Reason: Please use spaces after all punctuation marks!
spoiler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2014, 17:04   #42
BHPian

Guys , any idea when India Bike Week would be .

Just read this http://riderzone.in/india-bike-week-2014-disaster/
Old 22nd July 2014, 22:09   #43
BHPian

Beautiful pictures, Nice show!

India Bike Week keeps getting better by the year!
Old 12th September 2014, 17:51   #44
Senior - BHPian

India Bike Week 2015 to be held on Feb 20 & 21

India Bike Week is back with its 3rd edition, scheduled to be held on February 20 and 21, 2015, at Vagator Beach, Goa. This is a two day festival of bikers open to all. The event attracted 7500 visitors in the 2nd edition which was held in January, 2014. The event organisers - 70 Event Media Group together with FOX Life (travel and lifestyle channel) are optimistic of a higher footfall this time around. Harley-Davidson continues to be the Principal Sponsor of IBW in 2015, for the third year in a row.

Tickets will be priced at Rs 3,000 and will go on sale from October 7, 2014 with a special 5 hour only Early Bird Scheme (Buy 1, get 50% off the 2nd one).

Some key highlights of the 3rd edition of the Indian Bike Week are:
  • The Travel Zone: A place where motorcycle travellers will share their experiences. The zone also integrates the Adventure Movie Festival, an adventure travel gear expo, the Ladakh Tent, a Map of Fame, the Bikers Grant, etc.
  • Bike Builders Collective: IBW Bike Build Off will feature a Mod Bike Competition which will also display other custom bikes that have been built over the last year from across the country. In addition, Vintage & Classic Bike Concours will be at the War Class display.
  • Ace Cafe London will be at India Bike Week. Rocker Mark Wilsmore, from Ace Cafe London, will be riding to Goa and leading a Cafe Racer parade through the festival, as well as judging competitions.
  • IBW Arena: Music Bands, the racers, stunts, demos, the moves and more.
  • Drag Racing for the speed enthusiast will be held at an offsite location close to the festival.
  • A Dirt Track Challenge where bikers can test their skills at the Trials on a Moto X bike.
  • Urban Street Stage – BMX stunts, Super Trials, Bboying, Skateboarding, Battling & Rapping.

Link to news article

Last edited by S2!!! : 12th September 2014 at 17:57.
Old 8th November 2014, 12:50   #45
Senior - BHPian

IBW has now announced Travel & Stay packages

For those worrying about finding accommodation during their visit to the IBW 2015, don't sweat. IBW has now announced Travel & Stay packages. From solo riders to gang of riders, there are multiple camping options and deals available.

The ground zero (basic) camping package will include your own tent, mattress, blankets, pillows, breakfast and hot beverages. The location will be on Vagator Hill overlooking the beach, close to the festival grounds.

Also, rooms will be available that range from Rs.800 dormitories to hotel rooms at Rs.8,000/ night.

Another announcement was of the IBW Sweepstakes. You can book your tickets for the IBW online and automatically enter the "IBW Sweepstakes" and stand a chance to win some goodies.
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks