Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2014, 16:56   #31
BHPian

Re: Best "Family Bike" in the 70-80K range?

That's me man!! You should have seen my younger one begging me to buy a bike that doesn't look like a access that we own (or scooty or activa for that matter). He doesn't like to stand but sit in the front and wants to feel the air! So he wants me to buy a bike!! So for sure the bike shouldn't have a fancy tank. That means you have to chose between unicorn/pulsor which are 150CC or 125CC commuters (hero passion or similar ones, tvs phoenix etc).

So what did I do? I take access to grocery stores and when taking the entire family for a short ride but use my bullet to take him to school or for any jolly ride ... problem solved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The rider: A 40-ish family man with 2 kids, whose not really a born again biker because he has kept (and rides) his 15+ year old college ride (Samurai), but uses it mainly to ferry kids here and there, evening joy rides in the city with wife and kid/s, going to get fruits/veggies/milk/eggs/groceries, odd jobs and errands, etc. Not an aggressive rider. Safe, slow, steady.

A special need is to choose something which does not have a odd shaped tank which would make it difficult for his smaller kid to sit in front. Agreed most modern bikes would not qualify (against the 80s-90s tank shapes like the Samurai, etc.) but its a consideration.

Last edited by highsteem : 24th January 2014 at 16:58. Reason: correction
highsteem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 17:13   #32
BHPian

I would suggest the Unicorn because of the smooth big seat and the not-so-funky tank which can cause problems especially if you have a kid in front with you

May I also suggest the Hero Splendor as this is what I use and I too have 2 kids and use it for such errands as you have noted with the kids in tow. Great VFM and mileage but of course dated design and maybe a bit too "old school"
Old 24th January 2014, 17:16   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highsteem View Post
So what did I do? I take access to grocery stores and when taking the entire family for a short ride but use my bullet to take him to school or for any jolly ride ... problem solved?
Yeah wel I guess secretly he would like a Bulet too, but most Bullets (even used ones in today's market, not counting work needed and reliability) are out of this budget. The Bullet tank and front part of the seat really are a kid's delight. Especially the comfortable perch of the crash guard to put their legs on. My youngest daughter refuses to sit on any other bike (she hates the KTM).
Old 24th January 2014, 17:44   #34
Senior - BHPian

Hi @ebonho

I wanted to post in this thread earlier, but missed the train... better caught up later/ now.

IMO it it has to be family vehicle, it should be the Nano or Alto rather than bike. Bikes/ 2-wheelers are good for 1 &/ or two people with safety gear, but not for one kid on the tank & another clinging to mother's hands.

If the family can't afford the cheap cars, they should move in a auto for basic safety sake. My father did this all the time, & I can say we have remained rather single piece.
CARDEEP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2014, 12:50   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Hi @ebonho

I wanted to post in this thread earlier, but missed the train... better caught up later/ now.

IMO it it has to be family vehicle, it should be the Nano or Alto rather than bike. Bikes/ 2-wheelers are good for 1 &/ or two people with safety gear, but not for one kid on the tank & another clinging to mother's hands.

If the family can't afford the cheap cars, they should move in a auto for basic safety sake. My father did this all the time, & I can say we have remained rather single piece.
Hi @Cardeep,

We've already been over this on this thread before bro. Let's keep this thread for suggestions on the bikes only otherwise its going to get derailed into biker safety, safer riding, nano vs alto vs beat vs the next mini hatch, and then I'm going to be no closer to closing in on a bike. A bike and a car are not the same thing, and a kid who likes to sit on a bike, has fun sitting on a bike, is not going to feel the same in a car. And I have clarified earlier that this is a LIFESTYLE PURCHASE decision - i.e. the gentleman already has a car, and wants a bike because it is a bike, NOT because he needs a family transport vehicle.

Hope you understand!

The current favorites are:

Honda Unicorn

Suzuki GS150R

Honda Trigger

Hero Impulse

Probably in that order. Decided against the very basic, less powerful, and slightly thirstier Yamaha SZ-RR.

Now we'll probably test ride these 4 and decide.

I still would like to know from the board what are the REAL LIFE mileage figures for the 4 final candidates please?

Last edited by ebonho : 25th January 2014 at 12:57.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2014, 14:58   #36
Senior - BHPian

Actualy guys, is the Trigger a better bike for these particular set of needs than the Unicorn?

Isnt the Trigger smaller in size compared to the Unicorn?

Doesn't the Trigger come with 17" wheels compared to 18" for the Unicorn?

The rear disc is not a necessity (and most definitely no Combi Brake), so am comparing the Std base version of the Trigger to the Unicorn.

If such is the case, then I could probably narrow down the final consideration set to the most relevant / leading bike from three different manufacturers - Honda, Suzuki, and Hero.

Honda CB Unicorn.

Suzuki GS150R.

Hero Impulse.

P.S. Also, what are the differences on the spruced up Suzuki GS150R 2013 version compared to the older one please? The white color is really attractive, as is the highest top speed (of the 3), the beefier look (Impulse also up there on this one), and the 6 speed gearbox. Sone reports also sugest that it has better mileage than the Honda Unicorn. How true is that (real life figures please)?
Old 25th January 2014, 15:05   #37
BHPian

Don't know about the rest but the Unicorn in heavy Bangalore traffic with spirited riding I've got 46-47 as the lowest and up to 51 kmpl. Highways on average 55 at least and at 70 all day close to 60 kmpl.

I would imagine the GS150R with the 6th gear does better on the highway. City mileage should not be too different.

Last edited by ashwin23 : 25th January 2014 at 15:07.
ashwin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2014, 15:20   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The budget: 70-80K tops.

The candidates::

1. Honda CB Unicorn

2. Hero Xtreme

3. Honda CB Trigger

4. Hero Impulse

5. TVS Apache

6. Suzuki GS 150R

7. Bajaj Pulsar 180/220

8. Bajaj Avenger

What do you guys suggest? Which of these do you think would be best for his needs? Any others you could suggest which I have probably missed? Reliability and value for money are also an important factor for him. I am assuming any one of the above is going to be a quantum leap over his current bike. Just trying to figure out the best.

Thanks!
From all of the options mentioned above, if you are willing to stretch a little more, I would recommend the Honda CB Trigger, only for the combi brakes. Family first <-> safety first.

I assume this purchase is going to be post the Auto Expo, so you will have some more options to spoil the party. Example: Pulsar 150/180 NS, the recently spied Suzuki Gixxer 150 etc.
parrys is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2014, 15:31   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
From all of the options mentioned above, if you are willing to stretch a little more, I would recommend the Honda CB Trigger, only for the combi brakes. Family first <-> safety first.

I assume this purchase is going to be post the Auto Expo, so you will have some more options to spoil the party. Example: Pulsar 150/180 NS, the recently spied Suzuki Gixxer 150 etc.
Thanks parrys. Firstly, no Pulsars bro (no offense to anyone here please). Pulsars do not age well. And while they are great bikes made to a budget, would prefer the Hondas and Suzukis over Bajaj in this segment. The Impulse too I am considering for what it is as a bike - the Nero bit is not giving me great warmth and comfort.

When is the Auto Expo? I too was thinking (and advising) about waiting for that to see what new is on offer. The Gixxer looks too sporty (and small - like the smaller Pulsars almost, more than the Yam FZ series bikes). Doubt a wife and kids would be too comfortable on it.

Am looking at really good, reliable, reasonably peppy, and frugal 150 cc premium commuters basically, with sensible seats and tanks. Bike size and suspension and comfort is a strong consideration for the same reason. For the kinds of speeds he does, or will be doing with family on board, fancy brakes are not so much a consideration, and we also need to keep in mind that he has as yet never ridden a bie with even a single disc brake. From my experience, there is a definite learning curve to that.

Last edited by ebonho : 25th January 2014 at 15:32.
Old 25th January 2014, 15:45   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks parrys. Firstly, no Pulsars bro (no offense to anyone here please). Pulsars do not age well. And while they are great bikes made to a budget, would prefer the Hondas and Suzukis over Bajaj in this segment. The Impulse too I am considering for what it is as a bike - the Nero bit is not giving me great warmth and comfort.

When is the Auto Expo? I too was thinking (and advising) about waiting for that to see what new is on offer. The Gixxer looks too sporty (and small - like the smaller Pulsars almost, more than the Yam FZ series bikes). Doubt a wife and kids would be too comfortable on it.

Am looking at really good, reliable, reasonably peppy, and frugal 150 cc premium commuters basically, with sensible seats and tanks. Bike size and suspension and comfort is a strong consideration for the same reason. For the kinds of speeds he does, or will be doing with family on board, fancy brakes are not so much a consideration, and we also need to keep in mind that he has as yet never ridden a bie with even a single disc brake. From my experience, there is a definite learning curve to that.
Give the Trigger CBS a chance. Braking is exceptional.

Impulse: Is he a tall man? If yes, it might provide some much required tall comfort. But then, is the wife ok with the climb? Also, the position of the exhaust is not a problem with the family?
parrys is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2014, 15:53   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
Give the Trigger CBS a chance. Braking is exceptional.

Impulse: Is he a tall man? If yes, it might provide some much required tall comfort. But then, is the wife ok with the climb? Also, the position of the exhaust is not a problem with the family?
You make a good point about the exhaust position. Even with the heat shield, I am pretty sure the wife would not greatly appreciate such close and personal proximity to the same. He is 5'7" or 5'8" - rider height should not be a problem, though yes, pillion mount and dismount could be (especially in Indian clothes).

Trigger CBS is around 90K on road if I'm not mistaken. That's 10K over the uper range of their budget. And right now the way I'm looking at it, does the Trigger do anything really better than the Unicorn, except for the refreshed looks? The Unicorn in fact scores on two important parameters, overall size and bigger wheels, not to mention flatter seat and tank for extended family seating comfort.

What is your opinion on the Unicorn versus the GS150R on all the parameters I am stressing on?

Last edited by ebonho : 25th January 2014 at 15:55.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2014, 17:32   #42
BHPian

Quote:
---------------

Trigger CBS is around 90K on road if I'm not mistaken. That's 10K over the uper range of their budget. And right now the way I'm looking at it, does the Trigger do anything really better than the Unicorn, except for the refreshed looks? The Unicorn in fact scores on two important parameters, overall size and bigger wheels, not to mention flatter seat and tank for extended family seating comfort.

What is your opinion on the Unicorn versus the GS150R on all the parameters I am stressing on?
I had a Unicorn for 5 years and I can tell u, apart from the dim lights, everything in it was excellent. Seating ergonomics of the Unicorn with the Hand-body and calf angles are the best u can get in India. Pillion seating is very comfortable. The engine is proven, super smooth gears, covered chain means longer chain life, and the braking isn't too bad either. Acceleration is linear and handling is very stable. Easy to service and maintain and parts are easy to get too.

Unicorn is a bike u can never go wrong with. I used to get 55kmpl consistently and had ridden it for over 58K kms before selling it away due to travel. If I had to buy another pair of wheels, I would happily consider it once again.

Cheers!

Prajwal
prajwalkashyap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2014, 18:47   #43
Senior - BHPian

Just spoke to a rider friend of mine from the RSA who also owns the Impulse. Damn good rider, so I would put a lot of trust in what he has to say. Says the bike is super comfortable, plush suspension which is also very soft so that there is significant sag the moment a pillion tries getting on, effectively meaning the pillion seat height does not remain quite so tall when trying to mount or dismount. Very reliable, no issues. And the biggest seat out of all the bikes being considered. This is somewhat now pushing the Impulse above the GS150R in the list, Hondas (Unicorn more than Trigger) remaining at No.1. Please keep the thoughts flowing guys!
Old 26th January 2014, 00:54   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Unicorn is still a very potent package, and will surely keep him happy based on all the points mentioned in post#1. But wouldn't he want something that is much more in sync with the times? I know I am pushing it too much, but I suggest the Trigger only for the CBS.

GS - I have no experience with it.
Old 26th January 2014, 17:45   #45
Senior - BHPian

Family man bike - 100cc Why? Primarily low cost of products & FE. 100 cc provide more FE at the cost of power

Need little more power with slightly compromise on FE? 125cc
Again, the only need to switch to 150 cc is need for more power by compromising the FE.

Compromise FE at the cost of power? 150cc
Anything beyond this segment is slightly disagreed by any typical Indian commuter whose interest is not with automobiles.

So buy from whom? Who are the market leaders? - Hero, Honda & Bajaj

Hero - 100 cc's are proven beyond any comparison & surviving for nearly 3 decades
Honda's 100 cc's are Twister, Dream Neo & Dream Yuga
Bajaj's 100 cc's are Platina & Discover 100

Hero's 150 cc's are again proven for more than a decade with CBZ & Hunk
Honda's Unicorn
Bajaj's Pulsar are nearly a decade & half older that changed the game play of motorcycle segment

My personal take ranked on basis of trusted & proven...
On 100cc - Splendor/Passion family or Discover 100

On 125cc - Shine or Discover

On 150cc - CB Unicorn or Pulsar 150

Why not GS150? It's a good motorcycle, but Suzuki is still addressing minor glitches (read year 2013). ASC network is less compared to the top 3 market leaders. If your friend is not concerned with this, yes GS150R is a good buy too.

PS - Reports in the last 2 quarters show that Mahindra two wheelers are fast catching up. Though, I wouldn't look to anything in Mahindra's stable immediately, this is a point to note & give a thought to visit their showroom to check out.

PPS - Impulse...is being discontinued & friends from TVM & Pune are finding it hard on spares

I hope this post was of some practical use

Last edited by aargee : 26th January 2014 at 17:47.
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks