Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2014, 11:25   #61
BHPian

Re: Best "Family Bike" in the 70-80K range?

Ebonho

Can share only personal experience with you to help you empathize better and take educated call

Am 6 ft 1 inch weighting over 100 kgs with daily running of 54 kms.

PULSAR ( purchased 2nd hand from friend for Rs. 10000) - was commuting with this bike for 6 years. Was very comfortable with it but found 2 issues

a) there was always a stiffness in my back ( not pain mind you but there was a stiffness in the back )
b) in emergency the rear tyre would ALWAYS skid - fell 4 times ( no big deal just scratches to palms and knee ) but this was a fact. First time it happened changed my rear tire but did not help

UNICORN ( purchased from another friend for Rs. 35000) -
Me, wife and daughter ( she is 7 years but big for her age ) can comfortably go for decently long rides without any issues. All of us can comfortably fit on the seat NO ISSUES

Using this bike now for 4 years
a) the back stiffness is gone. I have gained another 14 kgs so its not that i have been exercising or getting fitter but NO STIFFNESS ( daily distance continues to remain same )

b) had 3 emergencies and the BIKE DID NOT SKID (Amazingly and thank GOD )

I have Car for family travel but am a hard core BIKER and love my bike.

Another factor for consideration - used to put Castrol Synthetic oil in Pulsar which would last for 4800 kms approx. and would turn black and lose viscosity. The mechanic would immediately recommend change of oil

In Unicorn - Castrol Synthetic oil is lasting for 15000 kms. In last 4 years have driven for 67392 kms and have changed the oil only 4 times.

Same mechanic. Infact after 15000 kms when i go for oil change the mechanic says the oil does not need changing but i insist and change the same.

Regards Deepak
dipak1406 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 12:32   #62
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Deepak. The Unicorn really does have a gem of an engine and gearbox. I have never ridden one, but I have sat at the back of one (when I was pretty "healthy"). Man I was stunned at how smooth the bike was and how good the suspension felt. Just the right amount of stiffness, soft rebound, and absolutely no bottoming out even hitting bumps and potholes at pretty decent speed and with my 95+ kilos compressing the rear end. And mind you this was an old Unicorn that has already covered some 70 odd thousand kilometers. That's quality.
Old 9th February 2014, 19:37   #63
Senior - BHPian

Bumping this thread post the series of test rides we had today.

Honda Unicorn and Honda Trigger.

The Honda guys do have a major attitude. I couldn't contain myself from informing them that they were in the market to sell, and that their salaries came from what we paid to buy.

Anyways long story short, the Unicorn was not as nice as the Trigger (I did not get to ride either - the attitude mentioned above, as if a test ride is to be measured in its weight in gold).

The Trigger was smoother, peppier, felt lighter (around 10 kilos) than the Unicorn. Also the gears of the Unicorn were not very nice, but I suspect that has more to do with the rider not being used to a toe-only shifter than anything else really.

The seat of the Unicorn is bigger. The Unicorn looks bigger (taller, bulkier). The Unicorn has 18" wheels to the Trigger's 17" wheels, but the downside is that it does not come with tubeless tyres unlike the Trigger.

Hero Impulse.

Both of us got to ride the bike. Starting issues. Lots of kicking before it would start (not idling properly, had to keep the hand fanning the throttle). Nice plush soft ride. Weird position of footpegs) used as I am to the Duke's backward positioned pegs). A couple of times I completely lost where the rear brake was as my foot was groping in thing air!

Smooth gear box. But what an anemic motor man! Seriously. What a HUGE downer that was. I was twisting the life out of the throttle and the bike was wheezing and barely responding. The other rider summed it up well. A young man's bike with an uncle engine. Otherwise its a hoot to ride and jump over things and ride up a flight of stairs (which the showroom guy did to impress us after seeing our disappointed faces post our individual test rides).

The other thing that struck me about all the other bikes out there (Karizma, Extreme, etc.) is that the fit and finsih and quality has seriously fallen after the exit of Honda. There is rust on the frames. The chain links of brand new bikes. The paint of the engine casings in uneven and has pimples as it done with a spray gun in a garage. Not nice. I do not know about the engines or mechanicals, but these things did put me off.

Finally the Yamaha showroom.

The showroom was filled with 125 cc bikes (SS 125 and YBR), the FZ series bikes (FZ 16, FZ S, and Fazer) as well as the R 15s. But not a single SZ S or SZ RR (the R has been replaced by RR - "few small changes" which the salesgirl did not have a clue about ....). Disappointed because it was the SZ series we had gone looking for. But man proposes, God disposes. Our man while leaving is told that they had a FZ S for test ride if he was interested (also an R15). We said sure why not, since we had come all the way to the showroom on a Sunday, might as well get something out of it.

He takes off for a test ride. Is back soon, and this time he takes off with his wife as pillion. Comes back after much longer. He loves the bike "This bike has the Yamaha genes" he says patting the tank. He says the peppiness and the way it handled and the ease with which he could thread in and out of the traffic reminded him of his college days on the legendary RX100. The wife loved the fat rear tyre, but found the seat a bit too sloping (though not really uncomfortable as such considering the real estate on offer). What I notice (besides the lovely Yam fit and finish which all of us 40+ guys associate with Yam from our college RX and RD days) is the sound of the exhaust. Its got a nice sound and distinct beat with some character - unlike all the other generic "electric appliance" 150s.

Hmmmmmm. We are still to try out the Suzuki GS150R. Maybe the baby Gixxer too if its available for a test ride. He also wants me to ride both the Hondas and give him my own opinion on both. Then he wants to ride the Trigger and FZ S again back to back.

But as a biker, I pretty much know which bike he is eventually going to be buying.

All previous "needs" of flat seat and gentle sloping tank have gone out of the window.

Raw lust and a biker's reaction to a machine have replaced it.

P.S. He is still also toying with the thought of maybe stretching for a Standard 350 Bullet (around 1.2), an R15 (again the lust as he was eyeing it - 1.3), and kept asking me what I thought about a slightly used Duke (around 1) -though I am not sure he will get an unmolested used Duke (they demand molestation constantly) plus I am not sure his wife is too happy with the idea of a used bike.

Lets see. Will keep you guys posted till he takes his call. Thanks once again for all your inputs. He read through the whole thread and was amazed at the depth of knowledge and experience on the group!

Last edited by ebonho : 9th February 2014 at 19:47.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2014, 09:15   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Bumping this thread post the series of test rides we had today.
------------
Also the gears of the Unicorn were not very nice, but I suspect that has more to do with the rider not being used to a toe-only shifter than anything else really. ----------
The Unicorn used to sell with a heal-toe shifter, but is now selling with a toe-only shifter. I think its more to do with market trends. The older shifter can easily replace the newer shifter and I found is a lot easier to ride than the toe only shifter. Its a bolt-on replacement.

Cheers!

Prajwal
prajwalkashyap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2014, 09:29   #65
BANNED

Quote:
The Trigger was smoother, peppier, felt lighter (around 10 kilos) than the Unicorn. Also the gears of the Unicorn were not very nice, but I suspect that has more to do with the rider not being used to a toe-only shifter than anything else really.

The seat of the Unicorn is bigger. The Unicorn looks bigger (taller, bulkier). The Unicorn has 18" wheels to the Trigger's 17" wheels, but the downside is that it does not come with tubeless tyres unlike the Trigger.
I'll still vote for Honda Unicorn as for me it still remains a very confidante bike after Hero Karizma. Commuter style seating, appropriately positioned foot pegs and handlebar that don't stress the human body during rides. The gearbox is butter smooth and slick with sure-slotting gears.

I agree the toe-shifter is a pain and doesn't gel with the image of the bike, in the second hand market or with Honda Spares you can procure the toe-heel shifter and can be replaced or you can ask the dealer to do so.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2014, 11:57   #66
Senior - BHPian

I also believe that the lack of tubeless tyres on the Unicorn is a significant minus. Wh are they giving tube tyre on alloys?

Also, guys any idea what the real life top speed and mileage (city and highway) of the Yamaha FZ (S and 16) is?
Old 10th February 2014, 14:51   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Also, guys any idea what the real life top speed and mileage (city and highway) of the Yamaha FZ (S and 16) is?
Does a 105 - 110 kmph (speedo indicated) at WOT depending on the gradient and wind force. Can hold on to it too for a few hours but is most comfortable between 70-80 kmph. Real life mileage I used to get was 35-40 kmpl with 60% highway & 40% city riding. What can I say, Yamaha no. This is the Fazer I am talking about which weighs slightly more because of the fairing.

Last edited by Freewheelin_KD : 10th February 2014 at 14:55.
Freewheelin_KD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2014, 16:35   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
P.S. He is still also toying with the thought of maybe stretching for a Standard 350 Bullet (around 1.2), an R15 (again the lust as he was eyeing it - 1.3), and kept asking me what I thought about a slightly used Duke (around 1)!
R15 or Duke? So all original requirements of baby on board and comfortable seat for pillion gone for a toss?

This is the second motorcycle advise thread that is headed in completely opposite direction of what it was started with. First it was that Avenger loving gentelman seeking confirmation, who suddenly increased budget and bought a bike specifically avoided by his constraint; and now a family man looking for flat seat and pillion comfort is now considering hooligan bikes!
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2014, 16:44   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
R15 or Duke? So all original requirements of baby on board and comfortable seat for pillion gone for a toss?

This is the second motorcycle advise thread that is headed in completely opposite direction of what it was started with. First it was that Avenger loving gentelman seeking confirmation, who suddenly increased budget and bought a bike specifically avoided by his constraint; and now a family man looking for flat seat and pillion comfort is now considering hooligan bikes!
Cant say I am surprised buddy. He is still a biker - as different to someone coming back to bikes after a lengthy hiatus. So my suggestion to his wife (who initially wanted to surprise him) was never buy bike for a man. Let him buy the bike he wants. This is not a tie or a fancy phone. Its a bike. If your heart does not sing with it, you aren't doing justice to the bike and the bike is not doing justice to you.

Yeah the kids thing quickly went out of the window when they realized that no modern bike was proportioned to seat more than 2 in comfort, 3 in a stretch. So they have kind of realized that its essentially going to be a two seater, so why not enjoy it.

Regardless of pages of suggestions you read on the net, when you actually test ride a bike, you immediately know if you like it or are making yourself like it. He was making himself like the Trigger. He really liked the FZ-S. Now if he test rides the Duke or the R15 .....
Old 10th February 2014, 16:49   #70
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post

We all are one crazy bunch of auto enthusiasts who start at one thing and end-up buying something else is way-off our budget. I'd say, such things are common and nothing much can be told it commented on.

That craving nature of getting a higher segment is always the when choosing bikes/cars.

Let's wait with the decision of the OP and whether he chooses these hooligans or commuters.

My say:

1) Honda Unicorn
2) RE Classic 500 or RE TBTS 500.

Now don't flame me as Option No. 02 will exceed his budget way out but if he likes he can look at the used market to satisfy.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2014, 16:52   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
2) RE Classic 500 or RE TBTS 500.

Now don't flame me as Option No. 02 will exceed his budget way out but if he likes he can look at the used market to satisfy.

Anurag.
He has always liked Bullets. But I know him very well. And I know that he will not enjoy living with a Bullet once it starts its tantrums. And all Bullets start their tantrums. If they do not, then they are not Bullets.
Old 10th February 2014, 17:20   #72
BANNED

Quote:

He has always liked Bullets. But I know him very well. And I know that he will not enjoy living with a Bullet once it starts its tantrums. And all Bullets start their tantrums. If they do not, then they are not Bullets.
Lol. Not diluting the thread but I am myself confused in what to buy.

Currently own a 2009 model HH Karizma R (23K done). My options are crazy too:

1) RE TBTS 500
2) Honda CBR 250R ABS
3) Honda CBR 500R (Depends on pricing).

Anurag.
Old 10th February 2014, 19:11   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Hero Impulse.

Both of us got to ride the bike. Starting issues. Lots of kicking before it would start (not idling properly, had to keep the hand fanning the throttle). Nice plush soft ride. Weird position of footpegs) used as I am to the Duke's backward positioned pegs). A couple of times I completely lost where the rear brake was as my foot was groping in thing air!
Ebonho, Do you guys know which year's model is that impulse you test-rode?

Over here in Hyd, one dealer says he has three 2012 model Impulses and another got 2011 one!

Guy says he can give me a decent discount on them, maybe i should ask for 50%

That apart, am in the same shoes as your friend, looking for flatter and comfortable pillion seat but a driver's bike, if you know what i mean. I kept away from the Yamaha showrooms and loved the GS150R but i prefer the impulse with the 'chuckability' factor in city traffic and waited with bated breath for any news of the relaunch with bigger (or even same) engine from the auto expo.

My short list is exactly that...short - Impulse and GS150R. Totally confused!
Old 12th February 2014, 10:22   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Lol. Not diluting the thread but I am myself confused in what to buy.

Currently own a 2009 model HH Karizma R (23K done). My options are crazy too:

1) RE TBTS 500
2) Honda CBR 250R ABS
3) Honda CBR 500R (Depends on pricing).

Anurag.
Anurag if this is your final shortlist, then the choice is only between 2 bikes, because the 3rd is only in conjectureland.

Of the two available, I would suggest you go for the Honda. ABS is a waste though (way overpriced).

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliontile View Post
Ebonho, Do you guys know which year's model is that impulse you test-rode?

Over here in Hyd, one dealer says he has three 2012 model Impulses and another got 2011 one!

Guy says he can give me a decent discount on them, maybe i should ask for 50%

That apart, am in the same shoes as your friend, looking for flatter and comfortable pillion seat but a driver's bike, if you know what i mean. I kept away from the Yamaha showrooms and loved the GS150R but i prefer the impulse with the 'chuckability' factor in city traffic and waited with bated breath for any news of the relaunch with bigger (or even same) engine from the auto expo.

My short list is exactly that...short - Impulse and GS150R. Totally confused!
I really did not like the Impulse bro. Been a real disappointment considering how much I had heard about it. No idea which year model it was. I t was an unregistered brand new bike, yet had rust on the frame and there was a small tear in the seat. Was kept in the showroom as a display bike, yet obviously was being used to give potential customers test rides. The icing was the showroom guy bashing it up the flight of stairs. Best of luck to the poor unsuspecting guy who finally buys the bike (if it ever gets sold that is).
Old 14th February 2014, 15:43   #75
BHPian

I bought the GS for most of the reasons mentioned and i'm simply loving it. Very comfortable, very large and comfy seats and an extremely good range considering the massive 18 litre tank. And a 6-speed gearbox aids efficiency and highway riding.
Attached Thumbnails
Best "Family Bike" in the 70-80K range?-gs150.jpg  

balenopower is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks