Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2014, 20:46   #91
BHPian

Re: Good 150cc commuter bike

Gixxer has got very good reviews with respect to handling and power.
If you are considering Unicorn but saying that it's outdated then why don't you also shortlist CB-Trigger?
Old 2nd November 2014, 20:49   #92
BHPian

Always go for the proven motorcycles and from my side, it is also the Unicorn which gives good overall performance.
regards adrian
Old 2nd November 2014, 21:34   #93
RYP
BHPian

Why not consider the FZ V2?. Its riding stance is not anywhere aggressive and very comfortable indeed. Unicorn maybe a proven workhorse but its 'OUTDATED' IMHO. As you rightly mentioned GS 150R's future is indeed questionable, even if you manage to procure one now, spare parts availability may become a concern few years down the line. I'm still skeptical about the reliability over TVS and Bajaj bikes in the long run say 5-6 years, so its upto you to consider them in the shortlist.
Old 2nd November 2014, 21:42   #94
BHPian

When it comes to reliability nothing beats a Honda. I agree unicorn is outdated but have you considered Trigger? Though dazzler didn't set charts on fire it was a really really good bike and I can personally vouch for it. Trigger shouldn't be too different in that case.
But if you want something other than a commuter type bike I'd suggest gixxer over fz v2.

Thanks
Sunny
Old 2nd November 2014, 22:33   #95
BHPian

Take a good long test ride of the Suzuki Gixxer. The company has genuinely brought in a very capable motorcycle. Looks good, has a refined engine and gearbox with minimal vibes.

Makes for a good stylish commuter.
Old 2nd November 2014, 22:49   #96
Senior - BHPian

I think mileage of all will be more or less the same, and 4-5kmpl here and there really doesn't make any considerable difference.

GS150 is a very capable tourer and commuter. Been using it for past 6 years, still going strong - touchwood.
Test rode Gixxer, seemed nice. In 150cc, you can definitely consider it. Looks very stylish, and handles good.
Unicorn is frankly too old. Better you consider Hero extreme as well, similar engine but new model.
No idea about RTR, my mostly wrong opinion is TVS and Bajaj bikes don't age well, so not really suited for a commuter looking for long term reliability wrong here.
Old 2nd November 2014, 22:49   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autodoc View Post
When it comes to reliability nothing beats a Honda. Trigger shouldn't be too different in that case.
But if you want something other than a commuter type bike I'd suggest gixxer over fz v2.
OP shouldn't touch Trigger with a pole. Read my thread for more details.

Have you looked at the Hunk? I rode it a couple of days and liked it! Doesn't feel heavy and rides well.
Old 2nd November 2014, 23:43   #98
BHPian

Thanks Hellmet : I read your thread , initially I thought all is well with Trigger but as I moved forward I learnt the issues.
But I really liked the normal gear shifter which is missing in all the new bikes.

So GS150R and RTRs out -- Gixxer and Unicorn remain.

Does the Unicorn having the waiting period even today.earlier somewhere I heard they had 3-4 months waiting but that was about couple of years ago not sure.

Let me see how the Honda people treat customers now.Suzuki guys were good.

I did not put Yamahas here , think mostly oriented towards youngsters and I am 30+ . My perception may be wrong but have seen only youngsters using them .

Last edited by SIMKIM : 2nd November 2014 at 23:58. Reason: Edited based on Mods comments
Old 3rd November 2014, 00:24   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMKIM View Post
So GS150R and RTRs out -- Gixxer and Unicorn remain.

I did not put Yamahas here , think mostly oriented towards youngsters and I am 30+ . My perception may be wrong but have seen only youngsters using them .
Since you want a commuter-oriented bike, IMO don't go for the FZ. It is a very nice package, with good power, good looks, good brakes everything but it loses out to Unicorn and other 150cc's in fuel efficiency department.

Go for the Unicorn. Agreed it is an old bike now. But trust me, the smoothness of the engine,gearbox is not matched by any of these new gen bikes, except, the GS150R. But since you are not sure about how things will go with the GS150R in future, be assured they will be quite good with the Unicorn. Tried and tested product by many. A friend in my building (who is 30+), got his Unicorn just a few weeks back, and a black Unicorn still is one of the best looking bikes. O yes, did I mention the excellent fuel efficiency which the bike returns?

-Bhargav
Old 3rd November 2014, 00:57   #100
BHPian

If you can't wait you really can't go wrong with the Unicorn or go for the Gixxer if you are OK with a stylish commuter. I took a test drive of the Gixxer yesterday, since I am also looking for a commuter bike in 150cc basket, and I must say Suzuki has rolled out a gem. But then I stumbled on this http://bikeadvice.in/honda-expedite-...rcycle-launch/ and well it seems I am going to wait for this one.

Last edited by creative420 : 3rd November 2014 at 00:58.
Old 3rd November 2014, 01:25   #101
BHPian

Gixxer:
Pros:
1) Stylishly good looking
2) Higher HP than FZ.
3) Light weight.135 kg compared to other bikes such as FZ and Unicorn. Read higher Power to Weight ratio.
4) Suzuki is known to make good bike engines and bikes.
5) Light weight higher mileage??
6) Big Fat tyre for higher grip levels.
7) Seems to be the first serious effort by Suzuki to make a noticeable difference in Indian Market. GS150 R was one of the other good effort though not as contemporary as Gixxer.
8) Better non-vibrating plastics than Honda
Cons:
1) Less data available to evaluate.
2) Scores a bit low on ergonomics compared to Unicorn for long distance touring.
3) Cramped seating position for pillion?
4) Availability of spares and service centres.

Unicorn:
Pros:
1) Honda engine smoothness (NVH).
2) Honda engine reliability.
3) Honda engine's capability to retain consistent mileage figures over their lifetime.
4) Spacious commuter vehicle with good ergonomics.
5) Proven track record.

Cons:
1) Old outdated motorbike.
2) Thinner rear tyre means less grip.
3) Heavy weight so less flickable weighs -150 kg+
4) Honda plastics are nothing home to write about. Poor quality plastics rattle a lot.
5) Poor service available from Honda ASS.
6) Poor shock absorbing capability from the rear shock (My personal opinion. I never felt suspension to be good enough on bad roads)
7) Boring machine to drive not a driver engaging one.

RTR 180:
Pros:
1) Superior pickup
2) Extremely agile.
3) Good suspension.
4) Fun to drive vehicle not a boring machine. Thanks to Vibrations!
5) Good switchgear and plastic quality.
6) Comparitively better managed service centres.
7) Parts are cheap and reliable.
8) Reliabity is not questionable. (From my own experience)
9) Easy on pocket to maintain.
10) Best brakes in its class. Discs on both wheels and good bite too.
11) At high speeds the exhaust sound is nice and vibrations are less. Good top speed.
12) A well engineered vehicle for Indian road conditions. A good city bike

Cons:
1) Very very poor NVH (Noise,Vibration and Harshness). Vibrations are abundantly available in the normal driving range. Engine sounds like a grinder and is harsh. Harshness increases over a period of time. Vibrations creep up to handle bar, foot pegs and fairing vibrates. Irritating over a longer period of drive time and fails on NVH when compared to other bike engines in market.
2) Cramped vehicle with less space for pillion although quite comfortable for Driver.FZ is poor than Apache in this regard.
3) Bent forward seating position is not good for touring and puts excessive strain on the wrists. Also shocks are transmitted to wrists on bad roads. Pillion weight is also shared by the wrists due to the cramped seating positon for the pillion.
4) Mileage figures not consistent with respect to the engine lifetime. Mileage figures fall too early in the engine lifecycle.

GS150 R:
Pros:
1) All pros similar to Unicorn.
2) 6 gears.
3) Spacious vehicle and good pillion seat.

Cons:
1) Outdated.
2) Heavy vehicle so affects mileage (comparitively) and flickability.
3) Initial niggles as observed by users, should not be an issue now
4) Availability of spares and service centres.

Conclusion: My vote goes for Gixxer because of higher HP, lighter weight, stylish looks, contemporary model.

If you want a proven vehicle go for Unicorn. If you tour often with pillion you need to consider Unciorn and GS150R for better comfort of pillion. Do check comfort level of pillion on Gixxer and let us know.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2014, 11:19   #102
BHPian

Why not to consider Yamaha SZ series? It is smart looking, commuter bike; price is less as no extra plastic/metal/fibre on body, comes with Yamaha engine, serves the purpose. Though a bit less on power.
Old 3rd November 2014, 11:25   #103
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
Though a bit less on power.
And less on fuel economy as well. It does not have the FE of even a Pulsar 150 and a P-150 will leave it in dust.

I would suggest, either the new FZ or any product from Hero. There is always the Unicorn parked @ Honda though.

BTW, if you are not too concerned about FE, do check out the Karizma (carb), it is in your budget & has additional CC's + more comfort.

Last edited by Sheel : 3rd November 2014 at 11:26.
Old 3rd November 2014, 11:28   #104
BHPian

Since you are looking for a 150 commuter variant and not favour much highway riding, you may want to consider the recently re-launched Discover 150 models.

Personally own a Discover 150 launched little over 4 years ago and have not had any issues.

Last edited by Fx14 : 3rd November 2014 at 11:31.
Old 3rd November 2014, 14:10   #105
BHPian

@Fx14 : Do not find Bajaj bikes trustworthy in long run. My friends having Pulsar always had servicing issues - every time they gave the bike for servicing it required some or other part change. So may be that's my perception, I normally use a bike for 8-12 years, had the original Fiero for 14+ years and sold it a week back. Having done 80K kilometers on it and never had a single issue - so need a bike as trustworthy as the Fiero.

Its getting hard these days due to multiple options - earlier when I bought Fiero it was just CBZ and Fiero

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks