Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2014, 18:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Yamaha R15 - Engine feeling sluggish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
A faulty electrical system can have a big effect on performance since the fuel is ignited by an electric spark. Poor ignition leads to poor combustion which leads to poor performance. The most common performance affecting fault for any petrol engine is a weak spark plug. Here's what I suggest:

ELECTRICAL
1. Replace the spark plug
2. Check for a leaking spark plug cable
3. Check for a weak ignition coil
4. Check ignition timing with a strobe gun

FUELLING
1. Use a fuel injector cleaner
2. Check the fuel filter
3. Check the fuel pump

MORE ELECTRICAL
1. Check all the sensors

All these tests assume that the battery is in good condition and that it is charged correctly.
Thanks Motard_Blr, will get all the above checks done and see if everything is in place.

I have a projector setup which was installed in my bike 6 months back, I have a strong feeling it is affecting my bike performance but still I am not sure it is because of the same.

And since my daily commuting is less, the battery does not charge correctly as well.
Old 23rd January 2014, 18:53   #17
BHPian

IIRC, the R15 has a tiny 4 Ah battery and if the electrical load is high enough, the battery could discharge faster than the bike can charge it during stop and go traffic.

To be sure, I recommend that you remove the HID setup and revert to conventional bulbs at least until the peformance issues are solved. It would be one less thing to check.
Motard_Blr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 09:21   #18
BHPian

I think the above posts have mentioned most of the things you need to check - air filter, fuel filter, injectors, plugs, chain sprocket set and electricals.

Apart from this, the most common symptom of busted clutch plates is - engine revving high but expected power not being delivered.

In your description, you say the engine is working hard but the bike is not performing as expected. So get the clutch plates checked.
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 10:39   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quick Update:

Took my bike to office 2 times in this week and surprisingly the sluggishness I was talking about was not noticeable after few kms, whereas I could feel that initially when I start my bike. As suggested by Sheel revved the engine to an extent and I could feel the power from the engine.

But still I feel it is sluggish when I take the bike out after few hours. Any idea what could be the reason apart from the ones mentioned above. Anyways I will make sure I will get the things done suggested by parrys, Motard_Blr, Added_Flavor
Old 3rd February 2014, 14:53   #20
Senior - BHPian

K&N Air Filter for R15 yes or no??

Hi Folks,

I am planning to upgrade my R15's Air filter to K&N. What would you suggest?

Also if I need a mild change in the sound of the bike will it be worth it for a cone shaped air filter...or should I stick with the rectangular shaped filter?

Any suggestions/help would be appreciated!!
Old 3rd February 2014, 20:21   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Hi Folks, I am planning to upgrade my R15's Air filter to K&N. What would you suggest? Also if I need a mild change in the sound of the bike will it be worth it for a cone shaped air filter...or should I stick with the rectangular shaped filter? Any suggestions/help would be appreciated!!
If your ok with a lean engine, reduced mileage by 3-5 km. you can go ahead.
Member parrys can guide you regarding this as he has been using pod filter on his bike for a long time.

Last edited by Akhilash95 : 3rd February 2014 at 20:32.
Old 4th February 2014, 09:56   #22
Senior - BHPian

I would not like to allow any modifications to impact my engine and performance. If there is something which improves it then I am OK with it.

Since I have seen some R15's here is Bangalore with a mild sound change, I thought is there is something which is used only for R15's.
Old 4th February 2014, 12:24   #23
BHPian

Quote:
I would not like to allow any modifications to impact my engine and performance. If there is something which improves it then I am OK with it. Since I have seen some R15's here is Bangalore with a mild sound change, I thought is there is something which is used only for R15's.
There is a stock replacement YA1208 K & N filter meant for R15, but I doubt if it will give you any sound change. It will make your engine a wee bit more rev happy but is quite expensive at 4k.

Last edited by Akhilash95 : 4th February 2014 at 12:26.
Old 25th March 2014, 22:18   #24
Senior - BHPian

Folks,

My bike is going to complete 3 years in couple of months and it is awaiting service very soon. Can anybody suggest me if I have to go any special treatment for the engine or any main parts which I need to get checked. Also I have covered around 23000Kms.

Your comments and guidance would be solicited.

Thanks in advance.
Old 26th March 2014, 07:01   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Folks,

My bike is going to complete 3 years in couple of months and it is awaiting service very soon. Can anybody suggest me if I have to go any special treatment for the engine or any main parts which I need to get checked. Also I have covered around 23000Kms.

Your comments and guidance would be solicited.

Thanks in advance.
No "Special" service is required.

Mine is 5 yrs and 4 months old bike. Odo reads 53,000 km.

Apart from the regular service all I did was replace cone set @ 41,000 km and again replaced cone set at 46,000 (under warranty), injector cleaning and fuel drain as water seeped in to fuel tank as the drain pipe clogged.

My ride is running on 3rd set of tyres.

I am using Pulsar NS as my primary ride and brother is using the R15.
katchkamalesh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks