Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2014, 13:20   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: The Suzuki Gixxer 150cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

I am currently looking for a scooter for my 16 year old son for his college classes, tuition, etc.
Why not wait till he becomes 18, when he ride legally without having to face trouble from cops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Below 18yrs are allowed to ride bikes below 80cc (IIRC).
The cc allowed is 50, for which a separate license is issued. Those who have completed 16 years of age are legally allowed to ride a <50cc vehicles if they have the aforementioned license. That is what I remember and is exactly what is mentioned here:

http://www.aptransport.org/html/driving-licence.htm

Quote:
After completion of 16 years of age, for driving motor cycles with engine capacity not exceeding 50cc with the consent of the parent / guardian. After completion of 18 years of age, motor cycles with engine capacity exceeding 50cc and light motor vehicle. After completion of 20 years of age, for an endorsement to drive transport vehicles.
To Mods: Sorry for going OT. Just looking out for everyone's best interests.

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 27th January 2014 at 13:21. Reason: Removing HTML Tags
ashwin.terminat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2014, 13:22   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
He does not like how the Vespa looks (it is a little "petite") and for his size he needs a man's scooter. The Vespa for all its tech and performance is also pretty thirsty and is stupidly pricey (man I would put in another 10K and buy him a NS200).

I prefer to play safe cause knowing him in the end I know its me who's going to be running around to get the bike fixed and serviced etc. And I really do not see too many Aviators on the road.

Jupiter is the biggest boy in the class and I have heard good things about TVS in the scooter segment. But too new in the market to get any reasonable feedback (I don't like how the earlier Wego looks).

Suzuki has the most powerful engine but for its telescopic suspension a surprisingly harsh ride, starting issues, rear brake issues, and some handling/stability issues? Also does not age very well.

Activa is the market leader for a reason. Great refined engine and good build, ages well, great resale. But the front suspension is a put off, plus there is no novelty value.

This new Suzuki looks good.

Which scooters would you ask me to look at and concentrate on?
In this case the Activa

In this case, Activa would be the best bet, on almost all parameters, as you have mentioned. I have seen Jupiter in person, & felt that barring being a bit fatter at the rear, it is the same as Activa dimensions wise.

The Aviator is less seen on roads as it is bit costlier compared to Activa, but has obviously got disc brakes & marginally bigger fuel tank (if I recall correctly).

My 2 cents on the Activa/ Aviator.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2014, 13:23   #18
Senior - BHPian

Is there any motorized vehicle less than 50 cc being sold in India currently? In the old days we had Luna and TVS 50.
Old 27th January 2014, 13:53   #19
Senior - BHPian

ebonho: Pls open a new thread, we are getting really OT here.
Old 27th January 2014, 16:31   #20
Senior - BHPian

A very awkward name for a vehicle IMO. Let's? Strange.

As far as the Gixxer goes. I'm not how many folk will understand the reason behind the name. But, it looks very fresh and sports a 6 speed gear box like th GS150R and a wide 140/60 section rear tyre according to Zigwheels. Reports suggest it will be priced around 75,000 INR. But given the service network has, people might be hesitant to buy a premium product from Suzuki given that Hero, Honda, Bajaj, Yamaha and TVS offer a much wider service network. I just wonder if it will be a replacement for the GS150R, which probably didn't get the praises it deserved owing to Suzuki's dismal market share.

But I'm hoping the Gixxer does for Suzuki what the R15 did for Yamaha. A complete turnaround for the fortunes of the company. That will probably entice Suzuki to come up with a better response to the R15s, Dukes and CBRs that are running amok in the country.

It looks fresh and is priced reasonably. Hoping that it helps Suzuki's fortunes in India.
Old 27th January 2014, 18:33   #21
BANNED

I like the overall looks of the Gixer 150 but i am sorry the competition has moved onto rear disc setup too, what is Suzuki dreaming off?

I hope the motor does have enough punch to compete with the rest and hope Suzuki step up their ASC's too.

Anurag.
Old 27th January 2014, 18:34   #22
Team-BHP Support

Suzuki Motorcycle India Limited (SMIL) has unveiled two new products, the Gixxer motorcycle and the Let's scooter, which it plans to launch over the coming months.

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Old 27th January 2014, 19:08   #23
BHPian

Now launched. Its a 155 cc motorcycle named Gixxer 155 (i think). I just came across the pics on Xbhp. Hmm, looks like the offspring of a Yamaha FZ and a Suzuki GS 150R with a bit of the Pulsar 200 NS front. Monoshock suspension is welcome. Dont know how much improvement this will be over the regular GS 150R

http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/news/283...e-updates.html

Last edited by rahul4321 : 27th January 2014 at 19:10. Reason: addition
rahul4321 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2014, 19:59   #24
Senior - BHPian

Hi all, The Gixxer motorcycle and the Let’s scooter were showcased in Mumbai and SMIL says the vehicles will be brought to the Auto Expo, and the Gixxer will be launched by August 2014.

Thanks

AD

Last edited by ad3952n : 27th January 2014 at 20:04.
Old 27th January 2014, 22:20   #25
Senior - BHPian

Initial thoughts(based on looks alone):

Gixxer:
  • Kick starter is oddly shaped to keep it inline with other lines, it looks quirky. Tall persons may find it difficult to operate.
  • Dual end-pipes in exhaust - would be interesting to know reasons for such arrangement
  • Number plate is going to look odd as it's above headlamp.
  • Fuel cock: GS 150R had better one to fill that space, this one looks plain jane
  • Tail lamp & grab rails look awesome
  • Pillion seat height more than GS150R
Let's:
  • Don't we have better english name OR is this loose translation of a good Japanese word?
  • Designers seem to have lost sharp, edgy thought process when their design work reached handlebar & instrument panels
  • Front view doesn't show sharp edges, only side view shows those
  • Protrusion in storage area bigger than other scooters, would lead to less storage space.
Old 7th August 2014, 10:59   #26
Team-BHP Support

Suzuki has started accepting bookings for the Gixxer motorcycle. Specifications of the bike have also been revealed.

Link to team-BHP News Article
Aditya is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 12:08   #27
BHPian

I like the rear end and find it much better looking than the current 150-cc lot. And repeating what I said earlier, that exhaust is the most beautiful part of the bike and also compared to other bikes' exhausts. The tank's shape is also quite good.

But, they could have provided a slightly bigger capacity fuel tank, 13-14ltrs. It will mostly attract customers who are out in the market for Hero Xtreme, Honda Trigger or even Yamaha Fazer.

I don't think, the type of customers who go for a Honda Unicorn or Yamaha FZ might get attracted to the Gixxer. So even in the 150-cc segment, although Suzuki wouldn't have thought of it but it will be targeting only a part of it.

-Bhargav
Old 7th August 2014, 12:20   #28
Senior - BHPian

Looks wise the Gixxer is an improvement over the the GS in my opinion.
However, the 5-speed gearbox instead of GS's 6 speed is a downer!
Old 7th August 2014, 18:10   #29
Senior - BHPian

^^ True. not much can be said without actually test riding it but a lack of sixth takes away some of its highway capability (higher RPM = vibes?). A good looking motorcycle though.
Old 22nd August 2014, 22:16   #30
BHPian

Source

The Gixxer prices are out, price being 84,344/- on-road Mumbai.

Quote:
This price is approximately Rs 3,000 more than the other 150cc motorcycle that Suzuki offers, the GS150R.

The Suzuki Gixxer has a new 4-stroke air-cooled 155cc carbureted engine which makes 14.8PS at 8000rpm and 14Nm of torque at 6000rpm. This engine is mated to a 5-speed transmission. Suzuki has fettled this engine with its SEP technology which is also there in the recently launched Let’s scooter. Similar to what the HET and Blue Core technologies from other Japanese rivals do, SEP allows the Gixxer to always have usable power on tap without compromising on fuel efficiency. Suzuki engineers have also focused on making this motorcycle as light as possible which explains the 135kg kerb weight as compared to the 149kg of the GS150R.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks