Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2014, 16:46   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Scoop! KTM Duke RC390 spotted testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
Would Yamaha invest in building 2 separate engines for 2 different markets? I doubt that. When Suzuki/Kawasaki/Hyosung can bring in twin cylinder setups, why not Yamaha?

Anyway, coming back to RC390, is there any inside info around the launch date? I am keenly looking forward to RC390 launch and also at planned CBR500R launch. I like Honda in a sense that they don't create too much hype around what they are planning to launch. They silently go ahead and launch it.
Hi @RX135

Not only Yamaha, but almost all other manufacturers are now going gung-ho for single cylinder engines in Asean region, for being cost effective & high on efficiency numbers. You can read on the Yamaha in particular in one of the threads in TBHP & also on XBHP (& other automotive websites).

RC390 could be launched around festive season i.e. Sep-Oct 2014 time frame, I guess.

I do not want to comment about Honda more than this:

http://www.motorbeam.com/bikes/honda...aiting-period/

Hope this is helpful to you.
CARDEEP is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2014, 17:07   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
Notchy key might sound quite a small annoyance to be ignored, but only if you use the bike once a week or so. I do 100 kms a day.
Quote:
I ride with a group of 10+ bikes, and all of them ride D200s. I see oil seals failing, cone sets loose, chain sprockets giving up & much more at ~ 10,000 kms. These issues showed up on my R15 @ 27,000 kms. Speaks of quality, no?
Both very pertinent points.

Looking at the current quality levels between the two (the Yams from my college days - consistently), I would choose the Yam as a keeper.

BUT there is an important caveat to that .....

First Yam needs to give me a bike I want. Nothing they offer right now has ever made me want one. And in my bikes, unlike in my 4 wheeler purchases, I never have shortlists and go through a rocess of elimination and choice. I either want a bike and buy it or I do not and don't. Its that simple. I'm a simple guy I guess.

The other thing I must make mention of here, though probably unrelated, is that with Yam showrooms, I have never ONCE gone to the showroom looking for a part, and come away empty handed. Not once. They have an amazing inventory management system at each of their showroom/workshop spare parts counters.

Last edited by ebonho : 20th March 2014 at 17:09.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2014, 10:27   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Mod Note: Thread edited to remove all personal attacks and gratuitous references. Please be respectful in your interactions with other members on the forum. Do NOT retaliate to perceived personal remarks; instead please report these and Support Team will step in.

Any posts in similar vein will be summarily deleted and the member(s) infracted.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2014, 12:11   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Not only Yamaha, but almost all other manufacturers are now going gung-ho for single cylinder engines in Asean region, for being cost effective & high on efficiency numbers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The trend globally, including the once rich and wasteful Western countries, is for simplification and economy.

The trend of Kawasaki back regulating in effect from a Ninja 250 twin to now an equally cool looking Ninja 250 single.
Kawasaki has build 250 twin ages backs, so they aren't really investing into building 2 separate engines. If they build a single 250, it's one new engine.

Honda and KTM have built 250 singles and they are selling the same across developed/developing countries instead of building two separate engines, twin and single.

Suzuki has opted simpler route of bringing in their 250twin and not building new, though charging bomb for that one.

Yamaha may either build a single or a twin, but going for 2 engines for a new bike looks bit unusual going by trend. But again, you never know. Yamaha is Yamaha for no reason
Old 22nd March 2014, 13:27   #35
BHPian

I don't buy all this hoopla about the R15 being better made than a duke. In what way is it? I have ridden my fair share of abused and well kept R15s and guess what? the well kept ones rode well and the abused ones rode like pigs. The same applies to the dukes too. If the bike has been burned out and wheelied out of the showroom floor then it is bound to misbehave. And yes the odd key not turning over is really not a deal breaker, it can be fixed under warranty for next to nothing.

My only gripes about the duke were the awful pulsar levers and the abrasive grips, which takes a mere grand or 2 to fix.

I lost respect for yamaha as a company a long time back when one of the top brass was quoted saying " There is no market in India for a higher capacity sport bike". This coming from a manufacturer that was adored by millions of Indians for the magic it created during the 80s & 90s'. Thanks a ton Yamaha.

The fact is, KTM is that Yamaha of the 80s now. It has put a huge smile on mere mortals like us who could only dream about owning a high performance bike. And while the Yam fan boys keep praying they bring out a 250cc with a pillion seat on the 3rd floor , the rest of us living in the present can enjoy what we have got to make do with. Yes, the key may not turn over but once it does let all hell break loose and may the 'God of Speed' pay a visit to our visors.
Godspeed.

Last edited by nitro.1000bhp : 22nd March 2014 at 13:29.
nitro.1000bhp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2014, 12:08   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The fact is, KTM is that Yamaha of the 80s now
I say bring on the super duke 1290 and they got a buyer right away. I will skip the 690 anyday

KTM to me has changed the way i ride bikes and i pick bikes. I am a forever naked buy person and i do not see any bike at 2L range as good as the current 390 is.

KTM is the new Yamaha even for me.
Old 3rd April 2014, 08:29   #37
BHPian

Good news! Pictures of production ready RC125 and 390

Courtesy: Teamduk3 Facebook page
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop! KTM Duke RC390 spotted testing-1979649_266857816826126_676661604_n.jpg  

Scoop! KTM Duke RC390 spotted testing-1209159_266857800159461_563347537_n.jpg  

Last edited by neerajpv87 : 3rd April 2014 at 08:31. Reason: Added specific information
neerajpv87 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2014, 14:05   #38
BHPian

my my ..that looks delicious! time to start saving!!
Old 3rd April 2014, 14:38   #39
BHPian

So I was going around on the Inazuma on Dehu road Pune when i stopped for chai at the stall which is right where dehu road begins. So as i'm sipping my early-ish morning tea when two camouflaged KTM's pull up right next to the Suzuki. They were as interested in the Zuma as i was on their bikes. So one was a RC 390 in exactly the same camo colours as above and the other was a Duke 390 which was also camouflaged for reasons i failed to understand then, till i saw the rear of the bike.

Anyways about the RC first, so we had a quick exchange of words, both the guys riding seemed to be local guys, definitely not bikers doing their usual rounds of riding the bike for a certain amount of km. So while the other guy was walking around the Zuma, i quickly went and plonked my excited rear on the RC. Riding position is fantastic. I have been riding the Ninja over 4 years now, and this comes bang between the comfort-ish stance of the Ninja and the very aggressive posture of the R15. I don't think long rides should be a problem at all. Even the seat felt adequately padded and quite comfy.ANd then he said the magic words. 'Take it for a spin'. He didn't have to say it twice. Fired the motor which sounded identical to the Duke and i was off. Took it a little easy till the guys were out of the picture and i gunned it. Acceleration is fantastic and it pulls just as hard as the Duke 390. What was impressive was even though this was a battered abused test mule it pulled mighty friggin hard. A quick u-turn a quick 140 km/h on the speedo which is the same as the Duke on the return empty stretch and I was smiling ear to ear. And this is from a guy who has just sold his Ninja 250R. I am totally in love and awe. Could not gauge the handling but from what i could gather, its going to be awesome. My cheque is signed and ready! I did try to take a picture once i parked but the guys freaked out statting it coud cost their jobs. I was an idiot to not stop and click one i went ahead for a spin but you can't blame me for being that excited.

About the Duke 390, while it was exactly the same as the one being sold but this Duke 390 had a larger padded pillion seat and a more bulbous tail light unit. The pillion seat being a major grouse on the Duke, i think Bajaj is already working on it.
balenopower is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2014, 16:56   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower View Post
About the Duke 390, while it was exactly the same as the one being sold but this Duke 390 had a larger padded pillion seat and a more bulbous tail light unit. The pillion seat being a major grouse on the Duke, i think Bajaj is already working on it.
Or it could have been an iteration of the "touring" 390 we have (optimistically) been mis-assuming would be in adventure trim .....
Old 3rd April 2014, 17:10   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower View Post

Anyways about the RC first, so we had a quick exchange of words, both the guys riding seemed to be local guys, definitely not bikers doing their usual rounds of riding the bike for a certain amount of km.
============ I did try to take a picture once i parked but the guys freaked out statting it coud cost their jobs. I was an idiot to not stop and click one i went ahead for a spin but you can't blame me for being that excited.
Thanks for the post. I am both happy and disappointed by your post. I am happy that the bike is a blast to ride for an ex Ninja 250R owner. But I'm sad that they have watered down the riding position. The KTM videos showed the riding position to be very aggressive. Less aggressive stance than R15 is a big disappointment for me :(
Old 3rd April 2014, 17:10   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Or it could have been an iteration of the "touring" 390 we have (optimistically) been mis-assuming would be in adventure trim .....
haha, i wish doc, but i'm sure this one was just the 390 with a better pillion seat. The tail light was different because i think they were having problems incorporating the bigger seat in the tail section.
balenopower is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2014, 19:38   #43
BHPian

The frame's design is not very appealing. I'm not a fan of the way it tapers up to where the pillion seat would be. Not a big fan of the headlight array either. Good thing the bike is going to be available in two flavors.
Old 3rd April 2014, 20:03   #44
BHPian

Is it just me or does the front end of the RC 125 look really quirky?
Old 4th April 2014, 11:47   #45
BHPian

Was out on the highway today morning and guess what?...spotted my next bike again . The more I look at it the sooner I want it.Scoop! KTM Duke RC390 spotted testing-imageuploadedbyteambhp1396592210.658449.jpg
balenopower is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks