Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2014, 17:10   #1
BHPian

Enfield TB500 or Harley Street 750?

Hi everyone.

While I've currently almost decided on the RE Thunderbird 500 for buying my first bike, I'm open to some other suggestions:

Options till now:
1) RE Thunderbird500
2) HD Street 750
Open to more suggestions

Considerations:
1) Knee Issue : I have a major knee issue for a few years now. While it's not a daily issue, I need to keep them in proper posture & no impact activities as well. Hence prefer cruiser style seating to prevent knee pain.
2) Budget Regardless of which bike i go for, it'll be financed. So the budget is semi-flexible, though not unlimited. Hence, Street is an option, though will wait to read some reviews once deliveries start. & sit on a piece in the showroom as well.

Superlow out as the low ground clearance is bound to keep hitting the breakers in Gurgaon. 883 a little on the higher side for now. (plus have one in the family, so can ride when I want to)

Please give me your suggestions. Shall be booking soon as i'm looking for a delivery on June 1st this year.
P.S. is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st March 2014, 19:35   #2
BANNED

Re: Which Bike?

Well the answer to your question depends on how much you like the Harley.

If it is the best thing in the world after perhaps gasoline, then go get a street 750. If you arent honestly overwhelmed by the iron, and want something less flashy, get the RE.
HyperRetard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st March 2014, 19:59   #3
BHPian

Street's riding posture is something i'm not so sure about.

Had gone a few days back to their showroom, they were yet to receive the street display piece.

Honestly speaking, the fatboy is my dream machine, however, not in my buying range as of now.
P.S. is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2014, 20:10   #4
BHPian

Why don't you consider something like a Hyosung Aquila 650? Its a very competent cruiser with very comfortable riding position along with fun to drive characteristics. If you have the financial scope to go for a bigger bike try buying something exclusive.

The Thunderbird is a very good bike and a genuine all rounder, but it never will match the sheer charisma of the Harley or the real world fun factor and power of the Hyosung. Plus you will feel really special everytime you ride your bike. The Thunderbird may not feel that special.
thumpingheart is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2014, 20:18   #5
BANNED

750. without any doubt. (My only gripe with the street bike is non inclusion of ABS (even as a variant) and those shady looking inexpensive MRF tyres (which should be the FIRST thing one upgrades)
I'm against an RE for you knowing that you have a knee issue, you wouldn't want to keep lugging around with a dead RE for unknown reasons (which could range from broken cables , fuses going kaput, brakes dying out while descending etc. People should boycott RE for the taken for granted attitude in it's QC and after sales service centres (the non-chennai ones)
TheDevil is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st March 2014, 20:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

It has to be the Street 750 if you can afford one. The RE has still some distance away to expected levels of quality. Wait for some reviews to come in. This shall definitely become one of the best big bikes one can buy at this budget in semi-cruiser category.
dkaile is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2014, 20:48   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
Hi everyone.

While I've currently almost decided on the RE Thunderbird 500 for buying my first bike, I'm open to some other suggestions:

Options till now:
1) RE Thunderbird500
2) HD Street 750
Open to more suggestions
P.S, this is my experience and is totally based on the CI engines. But being an avid follower of RE, I guess somethings are never going to change.

The RE is more of a cult kind of a thing for hanging out at garages, seriously I owned two in my life and spent almost every weekend at the garage for something or the other on either of them.

The RE is for getting your hands dirty and to smell of petrol and grease on weekends with cutting chai.

The RE is more for the Thump to cruise leisurely around at 40kmph and to can double up as a commuter bike too. At the End of the Day, the RE is still a Bristish Single.

The HD for sure will also give you the wind in your hair experience but you first need to decide if you are going to follow the Motorcycling circuit passionately and what are your criteria for doing so. If so, I can bet with you that you will be looking shortly for an Upgrade as Motorcycling can be real poison.

I do not think the HD 750 can double up as a commuter bike at least for sometime to come. Our public would want to touch the tank feel the leather twist the handle bar when parked in public places... yucks would not want my bike to be the eye candy for the frustrated public.!

Now since you asked this question, I would like to propose you the Triumph T100 which has has the retro looks and also can be compared with the HD 750 for all your Pro's and Con's of Motorcycling.

The reason I propose the Triumph is since it has a contemporary design, which will help you in your evaluation for/against the RE and at the same time this is a twin cly, which is again can be compared to the HD 750.

Triumph IMHO would be the Best of both.

Last edited by shivshanker : 1st March 2014 at 20:50.
shivshanker is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2014, 02:40   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm glad you mentioned your Royal Enfield experience is based on the old Iron Barrel engines when you followed it up with mentioning a 40 kmph cruising speed and weekly repairs.

IMO, comparing the new UCE powered Royal Enfields with the old Iron Barrel motorcycles is like comparing apples and oranges.

The 500cc UCE powered Royal Enfields will happily cruise at 100 kmph all day long without a whimper and the only servicing they need is the regular oil and oil filter changes that all of the other modern motorcycles require.

People should remember, the old Iron Barrel was basically designed in the 1940's.
The alloy UCE was designed in 2007-2008 and placed into production in 2009.

The Harley 750 Street is still an unknown quantity. Until it has a years worth of production and sales, no one knows much about it or any problems it may have.

The newer Triumphs are a nice motorcycle. They are a bit on the large size and their seat has all of the comfort of a thinly padded ironing board.
The one I rode seemed to have great power but it lacked the easy handling of my Royal Enfield.
ArizonaJim is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2014, 07:54   #9
BHPian

@ArizonaJim,

The problem with RE is not with the material used for the Engine Block, but the workmanship and the various other factors affecting quality of the units shipped from the RE stable. People remember that this is indeed a 1940's work of art, that is why most guys who own them, love them for the retro look & feel and the finish of the bike.

Like they say in the western world "A Leopard can never change its spots" this is the DNA at the RE factory, that is why it is such a pleasure to own and to ride this work of art. I am not degrading them or questioning their capabilities, but this is a fact b'cos of the heavy salt air etc. etc. near the factory.

Further, b'cos of the heavy Crank of the RE, the chugging at 40Kmph was certainly not meant as the MAX capability of the Bike. A reasonably well tuned bike can also easily do 100kmph all day long too with reasonable rest to both rider and machine.

To summarize, both machines the CI or the UCE are almost equal in their workmanship and the problems they throw up. the newer UCE engines also have issues, they never seem to end but the problems are of a different nature.

I am not at all degrading the RE stable at all, but believe me it is not a simple fill it shut it kind of a machine.

For the next machine to be compared, doubting HD the 750's certainly cannot be for the quantity, as the machine is supposed to be manufactured in India and exported around the world. The volumes are meant to be there and this should keep a tight control on the quality of the build.

Yes, like with all new products there would be teething problems which will take its own due course of time to be resolved. Folks at HD would certainly not want their reputation to be tarnished by putting a half baked product out to the market.

While the possibility exists of some real life problems that might come up, the last point can earn some negative markings on one's evaluation spread sheet, but still this would be a well designed and thought of product by HD.

IMHO, which Bike? do I take the HD 750 now?

It all depends on the preferences of a person, there are many people in this world who want to watch a movie on the day of the release and book tickets for the first day first show. There are many who prefer to see it after a week after they have read the reviews in the press. To each his own.

Finally, I think the folks at triumph anticipated the problem and are offering choices for seats on the T100. In addition to the flat ironing board seat. There are 4 different styles for seats that are being offered as a choice by Triumph.
Attached Thumbnails
Enfield TB500 or Harley Street 750?-seats.png  

shivshanker is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2014, 08:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
I do not think the HD 750 can double up as a commuter bike at least for sometime to come. Our public would want to touch the tank feel the leather twist the handle bar when parked in public places... yucks would not want my bike to be the eye candy for the frustrated public.!
You have hit the nail on the head. Exactly, my reason to retain my Bullet for local errands even if I get a HD for self (in some near future). One more point I like to add, if you leave your bike unattended on side stand (I always park on center stand) , some guy will come and happily sit on it (murphy's law) without bothering a wee bit. I hate it. Over a period of time, this practice, bends the mounting plate of side stand permanently. I think HDs don't have a center stand (?).

-BJ
Old 3rd March 2014, 21:29   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpingheart View Post
Why don't you consider something like a Hyosung Aquila 650?
Had thought of the Hyosung, but then no group activity per say. I've I'm springing a few lakhs, I'd rather have the HoG membership advantage mate.
Not to mention after sales would be an issue in slightly of areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
The RE is for getting your hands dirty and to smell of petrol and grease on weekends with cutting chai.

follow the Motorcycling circuit passionately and what are your criteria for doing so. If so, I can bet with you that you will be looking shortly for an Upgrade as Motorcycling can be real poison.

Triumph
Thanks for the detailed reply.
It seems you had a really awful experience with RE sir Have also read numerous horror stories here about fuse going off on a new bike, brake failure issue while coming downhill (from mussorie. that scares me as thats one of the areas i intend on frequenting on it) etc etc, but generally people are very happy with their machines.

With the HD i totally agree on the public-lets-sit-&-take-a-pic funda (& embarresingly admit to have been one of those in the past) HD owners do need to keep an eye out, as was the case yesterday with a few friends i met after the Delhi Biker Festival (& a HoG friend mentioning his bike has been found toppled a few times). Read Navpreet (did not know you were an avid biker at the time Navpreet) was apprehensive about the same before buying his GS1200, but i guess that is something that you have to come to terms with.

The triumph maybe a choice, but then if i'm putting in that kind of money into a bike, i do expect a little added looks, hence not really considering it. (Read mobike008's thread about it being a better performer, which an iron883 owner agreed to yesterday) but i want a bike that looks good, at least classy classic if it has to look like a BSA 1954. Let's just say i'm a little 'panju' at heart, a little

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
The 500cc UCE powered Royal Enfields will happily cruise at 100 kmph all day long without a whimper and the only servicing they need is the regular oil and oil filter changes that all of the other modern motorcycles require.

The Harley 750 Street is still an unknown quantity. Until it has a years worth of production and sales, no one knows much about it or any problems it may have.
Thanks for the assurance. While i agree with you on the UCE being technologically better than the old CI's, & the numerous positive stories all around, you do have a lot of of problems with RE, & they do have a LONG way to go. but yes, still things are pretty decent now.

Completely agree with you on the Street 750 point. Wouldn't want to face teething troubles.

Also, the bike is meant is more for pleasure. Commuting will be secondary :-)

Last edited by GTO : 5th March 2014 at 12:18. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE functions, instead of typing one post right after another
Old 3rd March 2014, 22:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevil View Post
750. without any doubt. (My only gripe with the street bike is non inclusion of ABS (even as a variant) and those shady looking inexpensive MRF tyres (which should be the FIRST thing one upgrades)
I'm against an RE for you knowing that you have a knee issue, you wouldn't want to keep lugging around with a dead RE for unknown reasons (which could range from broken cables , fuses going kaput, brakes dying out while descending etc. People should boycott RE for the taken for granted attitude in it's QC and after sales service centres (the non-chennai ones)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
It has to be the Street 750 if you can afford one. The RE has still some distance away to expected levels of quality. Wait for some reviews to come in. This shall definitely become one of the best big bikes one can buy at this budget in semi-cruiser category.
Hi guys,
I have a similar problem.
Need a cruiser bike equipped with ABS and priced under 5 lakh rupees.
Please help
ecosport rules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2014, 22:59   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
Hi guys,
I have a similar problem.
Need a cruiser bike equipped with ABS and priced under 5 lakh rupees.
Please help

Error.
No bike found.

However you may find this interesting.

Or you have to stick with the CBR250R.
HyperRetard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2014, 23:45   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperRetard View Post
Error.
No bike found.

However you may find this interesting.

Or you have to stick with the CBR250R.
Thanks hyper retard, love your signature

(Have been researching on aftermarket ABS too but dont have to courage to meddle with braking of a bike)
ecosport rules is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2014, 10:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

re: Enfield TB500 or Harley Street 750?

With a bum knee, a Harley is the last bike you should be considering.

You want to know what the funniest sight in the biker world is? Of a bunch of Harley guys roaring into a parking lot and position themselves diagonally in a line. Then each rider sits and waits, while his buddy straddles the front wheel, grips the handlebar, and then pushes him and the bike backwards into position.

I swear this is not a cliched legend. Visit IBW once and check it out for yourself. Most other riders were just standing around at first and staring incredulously, not wanting to fall to the ground and roll laughing, for fear of offending the sponsors of the show.

Remember, a bike does not only need to be handled while its in motion, but equally when you slow down, coast, come to a halt, and park. With a bum knee, even maneuvering the bike on concrete in a parking lot will be tough. Not to mention if you ever have to pad down with your feet while on the move, for balance.

My suggestion would be to go for the TB500. Its much lighter.
ebonho is online now   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks