Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2016, 18:25   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: TVS Jupiter or something else?

One week later, the ODO shows 130KMs and an empty tank. The piddly horn has already conked off. It is so difficult to use a vehicle without a horn in Pune. I need to now make an unscheduled visit to the A.S.S. to get that fixed under warranty.
The "power" light on my Jupiter blinks continuously while I am idling at a red light, but does not blink when I am idling in other situations , like when I am in the parking lot (after and before a ride). Very peculiar behaviour, albeit one that I am not bothered about much because of the gimmicky nature of those lights. Anybody else has this in their vehicles ?
sajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2016, 18:31   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
The "power" light on my Jupiter blinks continuously while I am idling at a red light, but does not blink when I am idling in other situations , like when I am in the parking lot (after and before a ride). Very peculiar behaviour.....
That thing is connected to the throttle, starts blinking in power mode when idling crosses 20-odd seconds, but the counter can be reset even by a slight blip of the throttle while stationary.

Mileage is nothing to write home about, though my short runs and low usage may be to blame (~700 kms in two months, I haven't managed much above lower 40s kmpl). VFM scooter if it stays niggle-free.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 2nd March 2016 at 18:37.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 12:30   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Mileage is nothing to write home about, though my short runs and low usage may be to blame (~700 kms in two months, I haven't managed much above lower 40s kmpl).
Current back of the hand calculations for FE puts in the mid 20s for me. Putting it down to the really short hops (<2kms) that we subject it to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
VFM scooter if it stays niggle-free.
True that. Wife took it to the dealer yesterday to see if they have a quick-fix for the horn, and they actually advised her to not visit the service center at the fag end of their working time as "nobody would pay proper attention near closing time".
Old 3rd March 2016, 13:41   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Current back of the hand calculations for FE puts in the mid 20s for me. Putting it down to the really short hops (<2kms) that we subject it to
This is really strange. Even my wife uses it only for about 2 kms per day for kids school pickup and drop. Till date the lowest average I have got is 44 and highest being 50 (full to full method)

Quote:
True that. Wife took it to the dealer yesterday to see if they have a quick-fix for the horn, and they actually advised her to not visit the service center at the fag end of their working time as "nobody would pay proper attention near closing time"
Be firm and a little adamant to the service station guys. Your problems should be addressed and solved immediately.

Whatever you have mentioned in the above posts, like engine being not that smooth, less mileage etc are not normally found in mine and any of my friend's Jupiter's. Hence take it to them and be firm about the warranty and get the relevant parts rectified or replaced.

The Jupiter's engine is far smoother and feels very refined than the Activa's. Also the power delivery between 20 to 70 is absolutely awesome. Be sure to do a proper run in / break in of the scoot. Its a very reliable machine and the average will increase after 3rd service.

The power light will blink at every signal or stop which is more than 15 seconds of idle time. The manual states to shut the engine off to save fuel and hence the power light will blink to indicate fuel wastage.
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 15:24   #65
Team-BHP Support

The low-fuel warning is pretty conservative. If I tank up when the indicator turns permanently on (not flashing intermittently with vehicle lean), it barely takes in ~3.2 litres.
Old 3rd March 2016, 16:49   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
The Jupiter's engine is far smoother and feels very refined than the Activa's. Also the power delivery between 20 to 70 is absolutely awesome. Be sure to do a proper run in / break in of the scoot. Its a very reliable machine and the average will increase after 3rd service.

The power light will blink at every signal or stop which is more than 15 seconds of idle time. The manual states to shut the engine off to save fuel and hence the power light will blink to indicate fuel wastage.
I too have a Jupiter in white which has done a few kms short of 2000 kms. Completely agree that Jupiter is a better bet compared to Activa, its smoother, efficient, bike type feel when you ride, ride quality.

Did not bother with the TVS Authorized service as their quality of service is nothing to write home about. Both my rides Apache RTR and Jupiter are serviced outside authorized service center from day 1 as I dont care about the warranty. Used synthetic oil on the Jupiter during the first service around 400 kms and it completes one year this month end, I will do a thorough service myself at home.

Power light blinks under 2 scenarios

1. After 120 seconds after the intial start up and the vehicle is not moved.
2. Once the vehicle is moved, and left idle for 20 seconds the light blinks.

Nice way of catching attention of the rider. Only grouse that I have with the Jupiter is the brakes which feel spongy. How I wish Jupiter had bite of the 270 mm petal disc on the RTR
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 17:32   #67
Senior - BHPian

I am in the second week of our Jupiter ownership , with just over 200 kms on the odo now.
I took the scoot to the A.S.S. over the weekend to get the niggling issues sorted, and had the opportunity to check the NVH of other parked vehicles against mine, and found them all to be pretty evenly matched.
I told them about the low FE , and we agreed to take a better look at it during the first scheduled service at 500kms. Preliminary examination reaffirmed my belief that there is nothing wrong as such with the vehicle.
Old 8th April 2016, 16:25   #68
Senior - BHPian

How do you run in a gearless scooter? There is only an accelerator and a brake lever, right?
Old 8th April 2016, 16:42   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
How do you run in a gearless scooter? There is only an accelerator and a brake lever, right?
Keep it within in the green zone marked on the speedo (I guess it starts from 25kmph and goes all the way till 50kmph on most brand of scooters) as much as you can. Otherwise just use it without any sudden burst of acceleration/braking. That should ideally be sufficient.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2016, 10:21   #70
BHPian

Folks,

Can some one suggest a good oil for TVS Wego 2011. I am not so happy with the refinement and I plan to go the semi synth or synthetic way.

How suitable would be shell helix Ultra ?
Old 14th April 2016, 10:52   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
Folks,

Can some one suggest a good oil for TVS Wego 2011. I am not so happy with the refinement and I plan to go the semi synth or synthetic way.

How suitable would be shell helix Ultra ?
Shell Helix Ultra is great but for 4-stroke scooters they specifically have Shell Helix Advance.
Old 15th April 2016, 14:58   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
Shell Helix Ultra is great but for 4-stroke scooters they specifically have Shell Helix Advance.
Sorry, I did mean Shell Advance ultra. I will get either the AX-7 or the Ultra and try out this weekend.
Old 25th April 2016, 15:17   #73
Senior - BHPian

I changed my booking to a silver jupiter and I had seen it in flesh today. Also paid the complete amount. So waiting for the tc to be completed so that it can be delivered tomorrow. Permanent will also be done by them, Although I have to take the bike to some place where they can check it.
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2016, 10:34   #74
BHPian

Folks,

My 2011 TVS Wego has started drinking oil and petrol. Also there is noticeable smoke from the exhaust after running a few kilometers.

I have checked with two mechanics and both suggest an Engine Re-build. Is there any alternate way.
Old 5th May 2016, 11:34   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
Folks,

My 2011 TVS Wego has started drinking oil and petrol. Also there is noticeable smoke from the exhaust after running a few kilometers.

I have checked with two mechanics and both suggest an Engine Re-build. Is there any alternate way.
Its a clear sign of a damaged cylinder wall. You must have also experienced a slight but noticeable power loss too.

Instead of an Engine rebuild (which is installing a bigger piston and boring the same cylinder), go for a new cylinder piston kit. It shouldn't be that expensive and will make your scoot factory formatted to new again. You will have to follow the run in procedure again.
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks