Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2006, 15:36   #1
Senior - BHPian

Which "big bike" around 1 lakh?

Hi Folks,

I am planning to buy a bike, primarily for weekend drives within the next one month.

budget is not really a constraint here but it should not be too exp.(Hence imports are out!)

was planning to wait for teh Pulsar DTS Fi but am a bit put off by the fact that it looks too similar to the ubiquitous 150/180.

The other choice is the Karizma.

Do u think the Karizma is a good buy or am I better off waiting for theDTS Fi or the Yamaha Fazer 250?

Does anyone have any infor on an upgraded Karizma anytime in hte near future?

Please help
Old 6th July 2006, 15:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

! not just a Bull ! get tha 500.
Old 6th July 2006, 16:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

i used to own a bullet in college (this was in 1990). while I loved the bike, I used to go mad with the unreliablility of the bike and its tempramental nature. I cant remember how many jeans of mine had oil stains!.

But since those were college days, our carefree attitude termed these things as "character".

but now, I want something with relatively less hassles.

I dont know if the newer bullets have these "time honoured" issues or not. so please guide.

Also, how good would a bull be in Bangy traffic?
Old 6th July 2006, 16:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

How about Bajaj Avenger? Being a cruiser, it should suit you for long rides during the weekend.

Another option is because it's only for weekend, go for a well maintained used bikes like CBZ, Pulsar 180 etc. CBZs should be dirt cheap now.
Old 6th July 2006, 22:31   #5
BHPian

Wait for Yamaha 250, go for it.
Old 6th July 2006, 22:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike_bug
Wait for Yamaha 250, go for it.
wait till??? and @ 1lac?
Old 7th July 2006, 02:16   #7
BHPian

Location: Windsor, Canada... But still a Bombay-Boy at heart !!!

the Yamaha 250 fazer has done pretty well in N.America and is a popular bike. Bt i would recommend waiting for the 250 DTSi. since you have a budget of 1 lakh, you can spend a bit on getting the fuel tank and side panels custom painted [with the 250 in bold] - that should make it look different.
Old 7th July 2006, 07:50   #8
BHPian

when is 250cc bikes coming to market...
i only hear about them...
are they really coming or just a Myth...
Old 7th July 2006, 09:00   #9
BHPian

imho, the so-called new yamaha fazer250 is quite an outdated motorcycle!
it is launched abrpad some long time back! all they will be doing is dumping that almost obsolete motorcycle to our shores!
and bajaj's new dtsfi will need one another verison atleast to make it problem-free!
very much like our Tata Indica V1/V2 etc!!

better and probably safer bet is to go for existing bikes or else wait for a while!
but Comt is one motorcycle i think must be gud enough! coz they launcehd it as limited edition sale or something like that and all units were sold in few months! and still a good demand is there! but i wont come cheap, as it costs abt 1.7-1.8 lakhs, if i m not wrong!

so, since you want a motorcycle in a month, i'd suggest to go for either Hero Honda Karizma or at max, Bajaj Pulsar 180 DTSi (all-black model!).
as you have already mentioned that you experienced Bullets in your college days, you can alos opt for that too, i guess those famous-issues of old bullets must have been removed.
and if u want to go for a bullet, try Machismo Disc brake model!

Last edited by revharder : 7th July 2006 at 09:07.
Old 7th July 2006, 10:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for ur inputs guys.

@revharder....the 1 month is not a rigid time frame. Since I want the bike only for pleasure rides and not for commutes, I dont really mind waiting for some more time, but would definitely want to pick up something by end Sept.

the comet is a good suggestion....hand't thought of that.

read a few reviews of teh Yam 250 and fankly wasn't too impressed. For starters, teh bike is carb fed whereas all teh new gen bikes would be Fi. Dunno if Yam would launch it with Fi in India.

As regards the comet, are all kinetic dealerships equipped to service them and does anyone know where I can get a good comet in bangalore?

Cheers

Himanshu
Old 7th July 2006, 14:26   #11
BHPian

Do test ride The new Bullet 500 with Electric Start....

Has a road presence very few bikes can match.. and the exhaust note is sheer music...

Bullets have certainly improved compared to 1990s..

( The Electra 5 S and Thunder bird are also worth a look IMO )
Old 7th July 2006, 14:30   #12
Senior - BHPian

if the reliablility and oil leakeages/shock absorber failures are an issue of the past, then an Electra 5S is way on top of my list. I simply adore teh looks of that bike....pure unadultrated bullet.(and 32NM of torqueeee)

will check out the electra and wait till august end for any significant new releases.

(Yamaha, HH and Bajaj...r u listening!)
Old 7th July 2006, 14:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

If i were to buy a bike in that price bracket, then i would wait for the Fazer 250. This is the bike to watch out for.
Old 7th July 2006, 14:39   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami
if the reliablility and oil leakeages/shock absorber failures are an issue of the past, then an Electra 5S is way on top of my list. I simply adore teh looks of that bike....pure unadultrated bullet.(and 32NM of torqueeee)

will check out the electra and wait till august end for any significant new releases.

(Yamaha, HH and Bajaj...r u listening!)
The new Bullets come with gas filled shocks..more nreliable and certainly more comfortable.. And the new bullets are certainly more reliable..

Oil Leak -- well they say A bullet does not leak oil, It just marks its territory
Old 7th July 2006, 17:35   #15
Senior - BHPian

OK here's something interesting!

Just had a word with someone I know who works for Eicher. though he doesn't work for RE, he has a fair knowledge of the company, since he is a senior finance guy.

he just told me that there is something cooking at RE and that RE is launching a "new" bike around diwali and another one by Jan next year (this one would be a proper cruiser).

The new bike apparently will be a heavily updated version of teh 350, with totally new styling and a heavily reworked engine to give class leading power (his words, not mine )

Damn! I am more confused than ever!

Most Viewed