Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2014, 16:05   #1
BHPian

My Night Fury - The Suzuki GS150R

Hey all, after a lot of thought, test rides, comparisons, online reviews, ownership experiences in xbhp, etc I bought a GS150R last week. Here comes my experience on selecting my GS150R.

All I wanted was a comfortable 150CC bike to commute to office (around 66km roundtrip). My RX135 is still going strong but I wanted a more comfortable bike.

I wanted to buy a Suzuki Gixxer but it will be for sale only from July or August. I needed a bike immediately so looked at the current set of bikes available. Apache and Pulsar ruled out since I had ridden my friends' bikes extensively and found them to be uncomfortable for long commutes. Hunk and CBZ extreme ruled out since I already had a Hunk and did not feel comfortable due to the chassis design.

Honda Trigger was ruled out since I personally did not like the looks (sorry Trigger owners). Yamaha SZ was ruled out since I had ridden my brother's bike and felt that the engine was not as refined as the FZ (though it is acclaimed that SZ has a de-tuned FZ engine) and the gearbox was not so smooth. Unicorn is a comfortable bike with a refined engine and good mileage but it looks outdated. So it was ruled out.

Shortlisted GS150R and FZ based on ride comfort (upright seating position) and suspension.

FZ is shorter and lighter thus suiting my physique (I am 5'5'' with average build). But the riding position is slightly sporty which made me think it's role as a daily commuter for 66 kms. The suspension is also slightly stiffer, which is good for cornering and spirited riding but it doesn't suit my requirement of a plush and pliant ride.

GS150R is slightly heavier and taller than FZ but the riding position was similar to that of Unicorn (upright). The suspension was just great. The ride was pliant and comfortable.

I agree that FZ and GS are poles apart and comparing both would not do justice. FZ is sharper to handle and sporty. GS has a more mature ride.

FZ's seat is bit hard. GS's seat is softer.

FZ is stylish to look at. GS is slightly commuterish to look at (but better than Unicorn).

FZ has poor fuel efficiency. GS has very good fuel efficiency.

FZ or GS? .... FZ or GS? .... FZ or GS????? God, this is confusing.

The GS ticked most of the boxes for me but, the only reason I was still considering FZ is that GS is a tad heavier and taller for my physique. I did not want to end up having a back pain trying to manage a heavier GS.

Test rode FZ and GS back to back multiple times. Of course, I understand that a short test ride alone would not do justice in selecting a vehicle over another, but I had no other choice. None of my friends had a GS so I wasn't able to ask them. Read reviews and ownership experiences online (including xbhp) and found that everyone was praising their own beauties.

So, it was time when I had to make a decision based on my perception of the bikes and my priorities. My priority was ride comfort and GS fared better than FZ in this department. The main reason why I wanted to upgrade my bike is for comfort and I didn't want to compromise on that. So, chose GS over FZ. Nevertheless, it was a close call.

It has been over a month since I got my new ride and I am enjoying it. Completed around 400 kms in one week. The gear shift is not as smooth as it was in the test ride bike. I think it will become smoother after the first service. The ride is plush and pliant and I am very happy about it. Yet to check the mileage, so I cannot comment on it.

The pickup is sufficient enough. The instrument console, as praised by everybody, is beautiful to look at. Overall, it's a complete package fulfilling my requirements to the maximum when compared to the other competing 150cc bikes.

Update:

The first service has been done and the gear shift has become a lot smoother after that.

I felt as if the engine was over heating. I could feel some heat near my legs and there was also a burning smell when I park the bike after riding it for more than 5 kms. But, after the engine oil and oil filter change during the first service, the overheating problem has reduced (though not completely resolved). May be the wearing off the new engine parts during run-in period is causing this. Will wait and see if it reduces still more.

The engine is pretty smooth except for 3-4K range. Only at this range the engine tends to get noisy. The handlebar is pretty light and aids easy maneuverability in city traffic, although not as light as an FZ. The switchgear quality and feel is good. The dual horn setup is too good (neither shrill nor lousy).

I feel that the headlight brightness could be somewhat better. The roadgrip is very good, thanks to the MRF rubber, but the braking could have a bit more bite. Not that the brakes are inadequate but it could have been better.

I have now started to stretch my 'toothless' till 6500RPM occasionally, and man.. it is perfectly stable even at the speeds of 90kmph (courtesy it's weight).

I had a doubt before buying it.."Will I be able to manage this heavy beast within the city?". It's been more than a month since I bought it and I started to get along with my beast so well now.

I have covered around 1800kms so far and believe me, I am completely bowled over the suspension of GS. It puts a wide grin in my face whenever it takes the potholes aplomb. I seriously did not expect such a pliant and comfortable ride from the gas charged shocks. Of course, it isn't a Punto to have both plush ride and excellent handling. The handling takes a small hit since the main focus of GS is on the ride comfort and straight line stability rather than sharp handling. Since I am a sedate rider, I did not want the handling to be sharp at the cost of the ride quality.

I am yet to push it to north of 7000RPM. Will probably do that next week and see how it fares. I actually don't like to do a quick sprint on city roads. So, I would rather take it out on the highway next weekend and stretch it gradually.

As I mentioned earlier, the engine tends to become noisy (sounds like a knocking sound) between 3K-4K RPM range. The service guys say that this sound is expected from GS because of the engine balancer. I also rode another GS which also had this weird knocking sound. The bike is pretty smooth except for this sound. Anybody else facing such abnormal sound? I heard that even bikes like FZ has an engine balancer. So, I doubt if this is the real cause for the sound. The service supervisor says that GS has a double balancer. Is it true?

Anyways, I do not regret one bit on buying a GS. Yes, it isn't sporty as an Apache or eye-catchy as an FZ, but it does it's job absolutely perfect with exceptional ride quality and very good mileage, plus the number of people asking about the bike in signals and petrol pumps. I didn't expect it to be a head turner, but surprisingly it is may be because of less number of GS on road.
Attached Thumbnails
My Night Fury - The Suzuki GS150R-img_0072.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 4th April 2014 at 12:52. Reason: Taking Live
samcan123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th April 2014, 12:53   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Night Fury - The Suzuki GS150R

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to Motorbikes. Thanks for sharing!
Old 5th April 2014, 10:38   #3
BHPian

Welcome to the club. Yes the vibes are noticeable just a little above 3000 rpm. I've just completed 2 years with the bike and have used it 'only' for touring 2 up with my wife. As long as you keep within the bikes limits, it's a fantastic highway machine. My Night Fury - The Suzuki GS150R-imageuploadedbyteambhp1396674416.617058.jpgMy Night Fury - The Suzuki GS150R-imageuploadedbyteambhp1396674445.420029.jpgMy Night Fury - The Suzuki GS150R-imageuploadedbyteambhp1396674482.920139.jpg
balenopower is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 11:54   #4
BHPian

The reasons behind becoming the proud owner of Suzuki Gixxer are its powerful engine and bold design. However, it lacks a 6 speed manual transmission as we get in GS150R.
Attached Thumbnails
My Night Fury - The Suzuki GS150R-suzukigixxer.jpg  

Old 7th March 2016, 11:26   #5
BHPian

My bike is June 2014 made and purchased.
I have done 36k till date.

Yesterday onwards I am hearing a bell ringing kind of sound from the engine. Had given for servicing and o/c. SA told me that cylinder and piston is weak and hence the sound. While servicing, he confirmed the same and asked me to change it next time.

My questions are:
1. Is this common ? I guess it is too early for a piston and cylinder to screw up like this.
2. Is this the same as engine re-work ? I am a newbie to tech things and hence asking.
3. What is the workaround till I change the piston and cylinder?
4. When should I change the piston and cylinder now. Can I run for another 2k kms before I change?
Old 7th March 2016, 12:06   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemash View Post
My bike is June 2014 made and purchased.
I have done 36k till date.

Yesterday onwards I am hearing a bell ringing kind of sound from the engine. Had given for servicing and o/c. SA told me that cylinder and piston is weak and hence the sound. While servicing, he confirmed the same and asked me to change it next time.

My questions are:
1. Is this common ? I guess it is too early for a piston and cylinder to screw up like this.
2. Is this the same as engine re-work ? I am a newbie to tech things and hence asking.
3. What is the workaround till I change the piston and cylinder?
4. When should I change the piston and cylinder now. Can I run for another 2k kms before I change?
My take on the questions :

1. Its not common but its not impossible too. A cylinder seizure can occur if the oil has leaked out and you have run the engine with less oil, or the engine has been roughed up a lot to reach to a breaking point. Normally a piston and cylinder will last for at-least 50k without hassles if taken care of and some bikes have even gone on for more than 1,00,000 kms without any problems. But there is no fixed period for a component to go bad. It all depends on the riding and care the bike has been through.

2. No, engine rework is putting a bigger piston than the current size and over sizing the same cylinder. A new cylinder and piston would be the same size as the current one and a reworked / re-bored engine cylinder and piston would be bigger than the current one. In both the cases you will have to do the break-in / run-in procedure again.

3. If you have lost compression and you feel there is loss of power then there is no option but to either rebore or put a new cylinder piston.

4. If point 3 is true then you shouldn't wait for another 2k kms. That will further damage more engine components.

Lastly if point no 3 is not true then get your oil levels checked.

Cheers !!
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 15:12   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
My take on the questions :

1. Its not common but its not impossible too. A cylinder seizure can occur if the oil has leaked out and you have run the engine with less oil, or the engine has been roughed up a lot to reach to a breaking point. Normally a piston and cylinder will last for at-least 50k without hassles if taken care of and some bikes have even gone on for more than 1,00,000 kms without any problems. But there is no fixed period for a component to go bad. It all depends on the riding and care the bike has been through.

2. No, engine rework is putting a bigger piston than the current size and over sizing the same cylinder. A new cylinder and piston would be the same size as the current one and a reworked / re-bored engine cylinder and piston would be bigger than the current one. In both the cases you will have to do the break-in / run-in procedure again.

3. If you have lost compression and you feel there is loss of power then there is no option but to either rebore or put a new cylinder piston.

4. If point 3 is true then you shouldn't wait for another 2k kms. That will further damage more engine components.

Lastly if point no 3 is not true then get your oil levels checked.

Cheers !!
Point# 3 is NOT true. I am not feeling that I am losing power. I can still get the bike to a speed of 90-100 easily.

I always changed the oil after every 4k kms. I do not see oil marks or oil leakage marks where the bike was parked.
I guess it is better to get this (cylinder piston replacement) done by a trusted local mechanic than the service centre?

How much approx this might cost? Any idea?

Last edited by deemash : 7th March 2016 at 15:13.
Old 7th March 2016, 16:12   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Point# 3 is NOT true. I am not feeling that I am losing power. I can still get the bike to a speed of 90-100 easily.

I always changed the oil after every 4k kms. I do not see oil marks or oil leakage marks where the bike was parked.
I guess it is better to get this (cylinder piston replacement) done by a trusted local mechanic than the service centre?

How much approx this might cost? Any idea?
Since you are sure that the power is not at a loss, then get it rechecked by some other mechanic.

If the piston and cylinder is weak then the bike will surely not perform well.

Does this noise only comes when you are idling or its continuously coming.

Don't just change the cylinder and piston without getting to the root of the problem.
Old 7th March 2016, 17:39   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
Since you are sure that the power is not at a loss, then get it rechecked by some other mechanic.

If the piston and cylinder is weak then the bike will surely not perform well.

Does this noise only comes when you are idling or its continuously coming.

Don't just change the cylinder and piston without getting to the root of the problem.
It comes when I am idling and at very minimal speeds (~20 kmph). When I give accelerator, the sound does not surface.
It is definitely a good idea to get a second opinion from a local mechanic. I will do that. Thank you.
Old 7th March 2016, 22:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It comes when I am idling and at very minimal speeds (~20 kmph). When I give accelerator, the sound does not surface.
It is definitely a good idea to get a second opinion from a local mechanic. I will do that. Thank you.
deemash mate while you are at it. Try and get an engine compression test done to rule out any cylinder piston issues. Also get your timing gears/chain and idler gear checked as the noise appears while idling. The GS150 R is a wonderful motorcycle and 36K kms is nothing for a motorcycle like GS150R. I have ridden a friends' GS150 R for more than a dozen times which has done more than 50K kms. No such issues on his bike.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 7th March 2016 at 23:06.
Old 8th March 2016, 17:41   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
deemash mate while you are at it. Try and get an engine compression test done to rule out any cylinder piston issues. Also get your timing gears/chain and idler gear checked as the noise appears while idling. The GS150 R is a wonderful motorcycle and 36K kms is nothing for a motorcycle like GS150R. I have ridden a friends' GS150 R for more than a dozen times which has done more than 50K kms. No such issues on his bike.
Yes sure. I have planned for a check-up this saturday. Is it advisable to get this done from a trusted local mechanic ? Or still we should rely on the showroom ?
Old 8th March 2016, 17:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes sure. I have planned for a check-up this saturday. Is it advisable to get this done from a trusted local mechanic ? Or still we should rely on the showroom ?
It depends on how expert and reliable your trusted local mechanic is, showroom guys most of the times try to fleece the customer by straight away replacing and not repairing. Try to see what your mechanic says and then decide. Also run the tests that I have mentioned. If you want to replace the cylinder, barrel and piston then Suzuki after sales service centre is the place to go.
Old 13th May 2019, 16:02   #13
BHPian

My bike has started to age and now sounds harsh and clattery. The Ninestar svc in Sarjapur Road has told me that they don't have a trained mechanic to work on the engine of GS150R and asked me to reach out to the head office svc in Hosur Road. Ninestar Suzuki svc (Hosur Road) told me that the bearings have to be replaced and so the engine needs to be opened for work. But the problem is that I don't have complete confidence on those guys as well. Last time when I gave my bike for general service to them, they didn't even change the disk brake oil but charged me for the same. Luckily I suspected the same and asked the mechanic to open the master cylinder reservoir and show it to me. Then I found that they haven't replaced the oil at all and asked them to change it. The mechanic just scooped out the old oil from the reservoir and topped up with new oil. He didn't even care to bleed the brakes. When I asked him to completely drain the brake oil from the disk's end and bleed the brake with new oil, he told that is not required.

Could any one point to some trustworthy svc (authorized or FNG) in Bangalore who works on GS150R? If they are very good at what they do with GS150R, then I could probably give my bike to them for engine work.
Old 13th May 2019, 17:18   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcan123 View Post
Could any one point to some trustworthy svc (authorized or FNG) in Bangalore who works on GS150R? If they are very good at what they do with GS150R, then I could probably give my bike to them for engine work.
Fortunately there are a bunch of good places that you can service your motorcycle. I'll speak from my experience, I used to give my bike (Bajaj Pulsar and Yamaha R15) to Raymond for servicing and he used to do a good job. He works on everything from 2 strokers to commuters to superbikes and even preps a few motorcycles for rallies. Im 99% sure that Ive seen GS150R's being serviced at his place. And hes a very nice chap as well. The address is 1st Main Rd, 1st Block Koramangala, Koramangala, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560034. Just put Ray Motors on your Google machine.
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 17:23   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Fortunately there are a bunch of good places that you can service your motorcycle. I'll speak from my experience, I used to give my bike (Bajaj Pulsar and Yamaha R15) to Raymond for servicing and he used to do a good job. He works on everything from 2 strokers to commuters to superbikes and even preps a few motorcycles for rallies. Im 99% sure that Ive seen GS150R's being serviced at his place. And hes a very nice chap as well. The address is 1st Main Rd, 1st Block Koramangala, Koramangala, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560034. Just put Ray Motors on your Google machine.
Thanks for the info
I would probably drop by at his shop next week and talk to him.

Last edited by samcan123 : 13th May 2019 at 17:27.

Most Viewed