Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2014, 19:00   #1
BHPian

Daily use Scooter for Wife

We are moving back to India this month and the first thing on the shopping list is a scooter for wifey dear!

She previously owned a Kinetic Nova (2005-06). It wasn't the best available back then but we favoured it because of the handling and comfort, primarily.

Following are the requirements this time around:
1. Reliable
2. Fuel-efficient
3. Handles well
4. Unisex design (I would ride the scooter a few times as well! )
5. Comfortable to ride for upto 20 kms daily
6. Good A.S.S in Mumbai/Navi Mumbai/Pune

I have little clue as to what scooters cost these days. I suspect they might be in the region of 50k or thereabouts. Can stretch the budget, if needed!

What are my options?

Thoughts much appreciated, folks!

P.S: Mods, please merge with any similar thread(s) that might exist.
Old 4th April 2014, 20:01   #2
BHPian

re: Daily use Scooter for Wife

Go around to the showrooms and see which is comfortable. All models and brands have variations in seat width and overall height.

Within the family I've had Kinetic Nova, Bajaj Saffair and Honda Activa

Activa engine was the most reliable of the lot.

Recent search for scooter had brought us to select between TVS Wego and Suzuki Access 125. These have low height and good balance. Enough space under the seat. And priced well
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2014, 20:24   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post
We are moving back to India this month and the first thing on the shopping list is a scooter for wifey dear!

She previously owned a Kinetic Nova (2005-06). It wasn't the best available back then but we favoured it because of the handling and comfort, primarily.

Following are the requirements this time around:
1. Reliable
2. Fuel-efficient
3. Handles well
4. Unisex design (I would ride the scooter a few times as well! )
5. Comfortable to ride for upto 20 kms daily
6. Good A.S.S in Mumbai/Navi Mumbai/Pune

I have little clue as to what scooters cost these days. I suspect they might be in the region of 50k or thereabouts. Can stretch the budget, if needed!

What are my options?

Thoughts much appreciated, folks!

P.S: Mods, please merge with any similar thread(s) that might exist.
I was in the same dilemma and for not having the patience to test drives, just for the word of mouth went ahead and took an activa, it took 1 month for delivery after booking.

driven 4k kilometers in the past 11 months , here is my feedback.

Engine is solid but the bumpy ride and handling is BAD. if you have good roads then nothing like this scooter or else look out.

Seems like Wego is catching up really well and also below are the differentiating factors.

1. Balance is good.
2. Lesser weight than Activa i think.
3. Petrol lid Accessible from out side( no need to get down, pull up the seat to fill the fuel. Useful feature for ladies)
4. Disc brake available.

I am not advocating Wego but sharing my personal opinion.

Yamaha RAY , Suzuki Access ( Bit bulkier) are the other options.

Spend one day on the weekend to take test drives and then decide which one suits best.

Thanks
zaveed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2014, 20:34   #4
Team-BHP Support

Try Hero Meastro. That's what my wife selected after going through all the options available. She has used it for around 8500 kms now.

Pros:
Space space space. It's nice and big, and can seat two adults in good comfort.
Got a decent comfortable suspension.
Same engine as Activa so reliability is a given.
Plastic body, hence not much weight gain over Activa.
Peppy nature till 70 kmph.
Good underseat storage for a full size helmet.

Cons:
If she wants a lightweight ladies learner scooter, this doesn't fit the bill, like say- Hero Pleasure.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 4th April 2014 at 20:36.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2014, 22:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan
Recent search for scooter had brought us to select between TVS Wego and Suzuki Access 125. These have low height
Low height as compared to which ones ? Anyone knows which of the scooters available today has the lowest height ? Some models mention saddle height in the specs, but most don't. So not able to make a comparo.
Old 4th April 2014, 22:41   #6
BHPian

The newly launched Yamaha Alpha looks good. It can be used by both male and female riders. It has telescopic front suspension which may be helpful in>20km rides. Being a Yamaha it should handle well.
Old 5th April 2014, 00:14   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Low height as compared to which ones ? Anyone knows which of the scooters available today has the lowest height ? Some models mention saddle height in the specs, but most don't. So not able to make a comparo.
Compared to Activa, the most popular choice.

Yamaha Ray has the lowest seating height, but that I felt was too low (my personal opinion).
HillMan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2014, 00:37   #8
BHPian

I recently went hunting for a scooter for my dad and had studied different options in the market. Considering your requirements from 1 to 5 (not sure of the 6th item), I would suggest the following 2 :

1. TVS Wego - Jupiter is also good, but Wego is much lighter and suits ladies better.
2. Activa i - This has all the mechanicals of the Activa with a lighter body and an appealing unisex design.

OT - It was a choice between Jupiter and Activa in my case (looks being the difference in criteria with your case), and we finally settled for the Activa.
Anoop_SG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2014, 09:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

I would chose the Activa, just for its bullet proof reliability. Just to give you an example.

I lived in Bangalore from 2002 to 2005, I had got a brand new Honda Dio then ( Same engine as the Activa), Ran it for 80 thousand kilometers till I left for Mumbai. My Fua used the same bike till 2009 and sold after running a mouth staggering 1 lakh 67 thousand kilometers, YES U READ THAT RIGHT 1 LAKH 67 thousand kilometers, had an engine overhaul once, a gearbox overhaul once, a belt replacement once and normal service every 5 to 7 thousand kilometers ( as the running was high) and THATS ABOUT IT. You know how much we sold it for ? 12 thousand rupees and maybe its still running right now.

That is Honda
humyum is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th April 2014, 09:36   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
I would chose the Activa, just for its bullet proof reliability. Just to give you an example.

That is Honda
Second that.

We have two activas in family, more than 7 years old. Both have clocked in excess of 80000 kms. Regular scheduled service is followed and no major expenses so far.

I have been adventurous on one of them and have driven two up with luggage at speeds of 60-70 kmph constantly over distances of 400 kilometers in a single ride. No problems at all from the machine. Reliability of the riders definitely was questioned after the trips!

Regards

Himanshu
bhardwhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2014, 09:44   #11
Mik
BHPian

I had a similar situation last year. I made my wife drive all the prominent contenders. We specially ruled out the Honda Activa because of two reasons

1. Service woes in Gurgaon. I had first hand experience of the absolute callous nature of the Honda guys. Too many activas on the road means they don't care one bit about the customer.
2. Standoffish sales guy. He wouldn't even commit to a proper test drive. For Activa-i, he said, you can check it once you buy it ! (TD was not available)
3. It felt bloated up and heavier compared to our eventual choice.

Eventually, she picked the Wego for the following reasons

1. The handling (the body balance is not a marketing gimmick! I have as much fun on the Wego around corners as on my KTM 390!! Have used the Ray and the Access for many days and they simply don't compare )
2. The external fuel cap, easiest central stand mechanism and lighter body.
3. Bigger wheels.

Disadvantages
1. No tubeless tyres option. We have had two punctures and the husband has been forced to drag the scooter around to the shop
2. Average brakes

The Wego is marketed as unisex, though I do think it looks odd on large framed individuals (politely describing my girth )
Mik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2014, 11:43   #12
BHPian

Small advice from me, I bought Activa 1 month back. Though engine is good, built quality is good, reliable but it has really hard suspension. My back started paining with in 2 weeks of use. I have Suzuki Swish as well for my parents in my home town. It is far superior in terms of comfort compared to Activa. Frankly speaking, I am repenting my purchase decision of Activa. I bought it purely based on looks. Whatever happens please look elsewhere for comfort. Activa is not good at all.
sushantr5 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2014, 11:48   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
Small advice from me, I bought Activa 1 month back. Though engine is good, built quality is good, reliable but it has really hard suspension. My back started paining with in 2 weeks of use. I have Suzuki Swish as well for my parents in my home town. It is far superior in terms of comfort compared to Activa. Frankly speaking, I am repenting my purchase decision of Activa. I bought it purely based on looks. Whatever happens please look elsewhere for comfort. Activa is not good at all.

Have you checked the tyre pressure and kept it at the one recommended for a single rider ?

Last edited by GTO : 8th April 2014 at 11:26. Reason: No SMS language please (u = You). Thanks
Old 5th April 2014, 13:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

If your wife is graduating from a Kinetic Nova, I assume she/you must be looking for a light weight scooter. So omit the present gen Activa, Aviator, Access etc. The options you can look for are:
1) TVS - Jupiter, Wego
2) Honda - Activa-i (maybe new Activa 125)
3) Yamaha - Ray Z
4) Hero - Pleasure
5) Mahindra - Duro

If you are Ok with idea, would be worthwhile to look at e scooters too. I am sure all of the above scooter can be driven by you too.

In any case, you need to shop around keeping 50 to 60K as budget.

Last edited by ghodlur : 5th April 2014 at 13:15.
Old 5th April 2014, 13:16   #15
BANNED

@ wanderlustindia
Most comfortable scooter is TVS Wego no competition here. It has the best handling,balance,Ride quality better than my fathers Jupiter and my friends Aviator. Only problem is the quality of TVS service center in your area.
Activa is a joke when it comes to ride and handling people should be very careful riding this scooter, but it has the best engine very smooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Please don't go with saddle height given in specification, its can be very different in reality.
Recently my father checked out saddle height of scooters for sutability, he is 5.2 in height.
Lowest saddle height is for Yamaha Ray then TVS Wego, Tvs Jupiter is only few mm higher than wego,
Suzuki twins access&swish where higher than other 3 scooters above, between both swish few mm higher than access(only slight difference)
Hero mastero have low saddle height according to specification but due to the seat width he had difficulty in placing his foot in ground comfortably. Maestro appeared higher than all the above even though specs states otherwise.

Saddle height
Ray<wego<Jupiter<access<swish/maestro
splitsecond is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed