Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2019, 10:39   #166
Senior - BHPian

re: Royal Enfield Electra: 1,20,000 kms & 17 years

I wasn't in town on the 17th anniversary of the purchase of my bike. (Friday the 13th in 2002 and this year.)
The bike has crossed 1,20,000 kms and will be seeing more use in the coming months and hopefully a proper trip to Chennai and back in the next couple of months.

Since the running was low in the last year and with the bike running with no issues, it has been a while since I met my mechanic. The annual service is due towards the end of the year. Thankfully the starting issue seems to have disappeared and the bike starts in couple of kick even after it is idle for few days.
Fuel efficiency remains constant at 25 kmpl.

Gave it a wash couple of weeks ago and clicked some pictures after that.
Attached Thumbnails
2002 Royal Enfield Electra | 1,28,000 km & 21 years-img_3331.jpg  

2002 Royal Enfield Electra | 1,28,000 km & 21 years-img_3328.jpg  

tharian is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th September 2019, 20:35   #167
Senior - BHPian

re: Royal Enfield Electra: 1,22,000 kms & 18 years

Being a Saturday, I decided to do some preventive maintenance since it has been a while since the air intake rubber pipes were replaced.

There was a time when they used to crack often and screw up the fuel mixture. There is one from the air filter to the resonator box and a small one from there to the carb. There was a visible crack on the carb rubber hose which didn't look that deep. I got both replaced although it would have lasted longer. In the process changed the spark plug too since it had been years with the same one. The air filter was not dirty enough to be replaced since running is low.

Since the last tankful, I have been using a fuel additive which is something I have never used in my bike's life. It did make a difference in smoothness and pick up and my fuel efficiency went up to from the usual 25kmpl to close to 27.

STP GST17200EN Moto Booster (200 ml) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01KWYE1NA?...p_mob_ap_share

Bike has run 1,20,250 kms.
tharian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th November 2019, 15:05   #168
Senior - BHPian

In continuation to the preventive maintenance, I decided to replace the CDI Unit and the ignition coil. I wasn't sure if either of them were replaced in the last 17 years as there were ignition issues twice when the bike was relatively new. I knew the RR unit was replaced, so didn't bother with that.
When I checked the markings on both the coil and CDI, it had a date stamp from July 2002, so these were originals.
Anyway, I decided to replace them hoping it will resolve the starting issue when there is no spark at times which I had been facing on and off for more than 4 years now.

Unrelated to this issue, there was oil sweat on the valve covers which has been there for a while now. After removing the tank to access the ignition parts, I noticed the exhaust side valve cover was covered with oil and that one of the nuts had come loose. When I checked the rest of them on both sides, most of them were not fully tightened. Having done so now. I'll keep a watch for oil sweat.

Back to the ignition, I picked up a new coil and CDI unit from a spare parts shop from were I pick stuff from normally and fitted them. The CDI unit, although was in a RE genuine part box, didn't look genuine and after fitting it, realized it is faulty or not compatible since the timing was off. Put back the original one and it was back to normal. Replaced the coil and now the engine idles even on a cold start. I am yet to take it for a spin.

This will be the first year that I won't be giving the bike for it's annual service as it has run just 2k kms in the last one year.
Also filled up the rear tube with a slime type of product called Seelin.
Bike has run 1,20,500 kms.
Attached Thumbnails
2002 Royal Enfield Electra | 1,28,000 km & 21 years-7a22e905a11d40e28986ab369d93813d.jpeg  

2002 Royal Enfield Electra | 1,28,000 km & 21 years-2ed09385c2dd4a8ba95464d6f025e0f4.jpeg  

2002 Royal Enfield Electra | 1,28,000 km & 21 years-798eed8f08fc4cb69ff5396e4afde7f9.jpeg  

Last edited by tharian : 30th November 2019 at 15:09.
tharian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2019, 21:32   #169
Senior - BHPian

After changing the coil, the pick up had increased noticeably. Especially in third and fourth gears when rolling on from low revs.

It had been a while since I did a ride and this was just the second ride of the year.
So took off late in the morning on an unplanned route to Tumkur - Kunigal - Gubbi - Tumkur and back. Covered around 280 kms and the bike performed well. On the 4 lane roads, I could keep some decent speeds. The weather helped too. Around 30 kms of the route were bad and it took a toll on me since it has been a while since I rode on a long bad stretch. In contrast, I rode on some nice inside roads connecting state highways. I got to ride on the old Mangalore road which was running parallel to the Kunigal bypass for a bit too. Brought back memories when I used to ride that route before if was four laned.

Bike performed well apart from a bit of stiffness from the handle after the bad stretch. Wheel truing is due.
Crossed 1,20,800 kms in the process.
Attached Thumbnails
2002 Royal Enfield Electra | 1,28,000 km & 21 years-493d0465500247a9b51937e4af74b918.jpeg  

2002 Royal Enfield Electra | 1,28,000 km & 21 years-2f1472c6efb14dc1ac9021ccace55bb0.jpeg  

tharian is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 23:31   #170
Senior - BHPian

The second ever out station trip on the bike was done today and in the process crossed the 1,21,000 kms mark.
I have been planning this trip since few months to Chennai on the bike instead of the usual travel by car.
The first trip was back in 2007 to Pondy and Chennai. After that it's been just day rides and all the out station trips were on my 500 when I had it.

This was just the second such trip ride in 17 years with this bike.
The ride was uneventful and I was lucky that there was a solar eclipse which meant empty roads all the way to Chittoor. Surprisingly even the stretch from Ranipet to Sriperembadur was empty. This helped since I was able to keep an average speed of close 60 kmph.
Bike was loaded with luggage at the back and a tank bag as well. It performed well and with the weather being cool most of the journey, I was able to cruise at 70-75 kmph on some good empty stretches. On some uphill stretches, it felt like it was loosing some steam and I didn't want to throttle more too since I didn't want to get the engine overheated. But it was fine on the journey as a whole. There was some excess oil leak from the head gasket when I checked at the first stop after a 100 kms, but thankfully it didn't get worse. But due for replacement at the next service.

The return is a week from now and hopefully the traffic will be low then too.

The first picture which I took during the solar eclipse somewhere after Mulabagal. I was able watch the spectacle through the morning clouds at one point and could clearly make out the half sun.
It was a special ride today.
Attached Thumbnails
2002 Royal Enfield Electra | 1,28,000 km & 21 years-994be09d807246539184800f0b4b4385.jpeg  

2002 Royal Enfield Electra | 1,28,000 km & 21 years-6b4f323c8e2f49eebd9f5f7733cbfb68.jpeg  

2002 Royal Enfield Electra | 1,28,000 km & 21 years-21bd04249458419394c122f44dfde1da.jpeg  

Last edited by tharian : 26th December 2019 at 23:39.
tharian is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 18:12   #171
Senior - BHPian

Did the return ride today from Chennai and took around the same time as I took onwards. Did a total of 700 kms and odo stands at 1,21,700 kms.

The head gasket leak stopped without having to do anything. I guess the initial leak was because I had topped up oil before the trip. However, on the return, after getting home, I checked and the left side had a slight leak, but not as bad as the right side which covered 2-3 cooling fins.

Since I hadn't replaced the engine oil in over a year as the bike hadn't run much, I thought of trying an oil additive and tried this Liqui Moly additive which was expensive, but worked; used two tubes,
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I had also been using a STP Moto booster since the last few tank fills which is a carb cleanser. I guess both worked since the engine was ticking over perfectly with a nice exhaust note all through the journey. I was able to keep 70-75 kmph effortlessly most of the trip today and the engine didn't feel strained at all and the best part, there were no unwanted sounds either and instead had a nice hum. And the topping on the cake was climbing a mild ghat section of around 5 kms, happily chugging at 60-65 kmph with absolutely no strain. This same section was where my 500 once overheated and I just couldn't accelerate above a certain speed as the engine started knocking.

On the onward journey, I had got 29.5 kmpl which is impressive since my speeds were not that low either, on the return, the fuel fell into reserve around 30 kms before home which was surprising. I'll know how much I got on the return after filling up.

The highlight of the journey was when I reached home and realized my rear tyre got a cut and a puncture nearing Bangalore. I realized once I got home and saw the sealant I had filled a month ago, on the mudguard. At first I was trying to figure out how it got out of the tube since I didn't feel it while riding that it lost pressure. The pressure when I checked at home had dropped to 20 psi from 35 which is when I remembered that I had felt the rear swaying for a few seconds when I was slowing down for a speedbreaker, but since it lasted just for few seconds, I thought it was the road. After the last puncture in November 2018, this was always on my mind and since this trip was in plan for a couple of months, I decided to go with the tube sealant a month ago which worked out well.

As for the bike, this was a test which I decided to go for although I have done plenty of one day trips covering 250-300 kms. With a little bit of help from additives and boosters, it performed just like I wanted and got me back in one piece along with itself.
Attached Thumbnails
2002 Royal Enfield Electra | 1,28,000 km & 21 years-4b85076c6e1f4b5d8066f20e4aec0370.jpg  

2002 Royal Enfield Electra | 1,28,000 km & 21 years-b94dc1c2b7c944be80e0cee37f119618.jpg  

2002 Royal Enfield Electra | 1,28,000 km & 21 years-d7ceeb17f1d049f49674a79e7f5bbaf7.jpg  

2002 Royal Enfield Electra | 1,28,000 km & 21 years-eb28209a6bc24c5392d740e574db25ef.jpg  

2002 Royal Enfield Electra | 1,28,000 km & 21 years-6be54fc961ee461fbf01b1ade3f595f7.jpg  

2002 Royal Enfield Electra | 1,28,000 km & 21 years-401dcf4ebeef4d4d8783a467b9ae5e28.jpg  

tharian is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 09:40   #172
Senior - BHPian

After not giving up on the 700 kms trip last month, the dreaded starting issue came up in full glory.

I have been using the bike twice a week to office, thankfully which is just 7 kms from home. On two occasions last month, when trying to start after office, it wouldn't start. Both times, I turned off the ignition and kicked couple of times and when I turned it back on and kicked, it fired up. Once before that, it did not fire up at all and since I was at home, after trying for a while, I left it as it is and the next day morning, it fired on the first kick like nothing happened.

Last Monday, after work when leaving from office, it was dead. I didn't want to leave it there in the parking lot although it was safe , since it would have been stuck there for more than a week. Kept trying for more than 30 minutes and in between a loud backfire happened and being an enclosed parking, it created a loud sound which made the security and maintenance guys come running looking around and I had to explain to them that the loud noise was from my 'Bullet'. After this, something told me she was not interested in starting and I caught an autorick back home before I sprain my leg with all the kicking.
The next day, I took the car and headed to office and as soon as I reached, went to the bike and prayed and it fired in the first kick, which is what happens all the time this occurs. Quickly jumped on it and took it back home before it shuts off. It has been around 4 years since this has been happening on and off now.

The bike is mechanically perfect given its age and kms run, apart from this small niggling issue.
I found this page on diagnosing electrical issues on motorbikes;
https://www.denniskirk.com/learn/how...ose-motorcycle and feel now it is a grounding issue. I need to find where the issue is since my mech will only say, replace the wiring, which I don't want to do yet. For some reason, I think it is small fix which will resolve this issue for good.

Odo stands at 1,21,800 and the service missed last year is due in another 1k kms,

Last edited by tharian : 3rd February 2020 at 09:43.
tharian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 12:44   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I left it as it is and the next day morning, it fired on the first kick like nothing happened.

it fired in the first kick, which is what happens all the time this occurs.
I don't think that an ignition / timing related issue will resolve on its own overnight. So I would place my bet on fuel (vapor lock) or carburetor issues (overflow).

Next time she shows throws this tantrum, try the following

1. Open the fuel cap and retry
2. Switch on and off the ignition key (bad key contact)
3. Drain the carburetor float bowl and try to start her.
4. Check if your choke is fully seated.
adrian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 15:21   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
I don't think that an ignition / timing related issue will resolve on its own overnight. So I would place my bet on fuel (vapor lock) or carburetor issues (overflow).

Next time she shows throws this tantrum, try the following

1. Open the fuel cap and retry
2. Switch on and off the ignition key (bad key contact)
3. Drain the carburetor float bowl and try to start her.
4. Check if your choke is fully seated.
Point two is what my thought is too. Mainly because around the same time this issue began is when I replaced the ignition key set and I may have not fitted something right. I'll remove and check that today.

It is not a mechanical issue for sure because there is no spark when this happens.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 17:59   #175
BANNED

Quote:
It is not a mechanical issue for sure because there is no spark when this happens.
I'm presuming your motorcycle has an ignition key module with 2 leads.

In which case do observe if the neutral light or other electricals work when you face this 'no spark' condition, if they work then you need to get a closer look at your ignition coil, if its not grounded properly then you wont get spark.

How the ignition coil is grounded depends on type, some are grounded on the chassis mount whereas some have separate connector to ground.

Regards,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 18:49   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
I'm presuming your motorcycle has an ignition key module with 2 leads.

In which case do observe if the neutral light or other electricals work when you face this 'no spark' condition, if they work then you need to get a closer look at your ignition coil, if its not grounded properly then you wont get spark.

How the ignition coil is grounded depends on type, some are grounded on the chassis mount whereas some have separate connector to ground.

Regards,
A.P.
The electrical work fine when this happens. Ignition coil, I had replaced couple of months ago thinking that was the issue and yes it was grounded to the chassis.

Since the issue sometimes goes away when I turn on/off the ignition, I removed the ignition from the clip socket(?) and checked the pins. There seemed to be quite a bit of powdery formation around it similar to when battery acid leaks. I cleaned the pins and the female socket and sprayed some WD40 under the ignition keyhole where the wires are soldered. Let's see if that fixed the issue.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 21:16   #177
BHPian

Quote:
I cleaned the pins and the female socket and sprayed some WD40 under the ignition keyhole where the wires are soldered. Let's see if that fixed the issue.
If the above procedure didn't resolve the issue, then try the following.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...replacing.html (DIY: Royal Enfield Bullet - Ignition key assembly cleaning / replacing)
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 21:25   #178
BANNED

Quote:
I cleaned the pins and the female socket
Do you remember how many pins were there?

If it has 4 like my CT100B then when ignition switch is turned ON two thick wires of the bunch gets connected that this ensures that 12v current is passed on to the electricals, at the same time two thin wires get disconnected this enables the ignition to fire.

If there is continuity between the thin wires when the ignition switch is ON then electricals will work but there wont be any spark.

I had added a switch between the two thin wires that served as an engine kill switch, the switch unit I got was from a CI RE.

Engine-Kill switch for Motorcycles

Now the reason for me asking for confirmation is because if your motorcycle is wired as such then the reason for the motorcycle not firing could be due to Ignition Ground wires shorting to chassis or between themselves.

Regards,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 23:03   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I remember this thread, will go through it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Do you remember how many pins were there?

If it has 4 like my CT100B then when ignition switch is turned ON two thick wires of the bunch gets connected that this ensures that 12v current is passed on to the electricals, at the same time two thin wires get disconnected this enables the ignition to fire.

If there is continuity between the thin wires when the ignition switch is ON then electricals will work but there wont be any spark.

I had added a switch between the two thin wires that served as an engine kill switch, the switch unit I got was from a CI RE.

Engine-Kill switch for Motorcycles

Now the reason for me asking for confirmation is because if your motorcycle is wired as such then the reason for the motorcycle not firing could be due to Ignition Ground wires shorting to chassis or between themselves.

Regards,
A.P.
It's 4 pins, but my bike doesn't have a kill switch, if that makes a difference. I guess it's shorting somewhere. The whole bunch of wires are insulated and goes under the tank and is still in it's original packing, which makes me wonder how it is shorting. My guess is due the rubbing against each other or the chassis when the handle is turned.
Now with both the threads, I have some leads to know where to start.
tharian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 11:52   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In the process of getting a new key assembly.

I removed the existing one and while removing the top plate, one of the springs popped out and I couldn't find it after.
There was quite a bit of dirt and grime in it which may be the reason I am thinking for the starting issue.

For now, the engine starts even if the key is in off position because of the missing spring.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed