Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2014, 22:38   #61

I had booked a Thunderbird 500 , colour - Flicker (Black) last month. The dealer shared with me last week that the colour has been discontinued. Have changed the colour to lightning (mix of brown & grey) this afternoon and the delivery is due end of next week. Liked the new colour when I saw it at the dealer 's showroom today.

I prefer the way they've used metal for writing Royal Enfield on the tank. It's way better than the cheap looking plastic / fibre used in the earlier model.
Old 17th May 2014, 22:45   #62
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield: New Logo & key design too!

Royal Enfield: New Logo & key design too!-re_w.png

Was this grouping there before ? I don't remember retro street & standard street titles being there ?
Old 17th May 2014, 22:48   #63

Just changed my booking of Thunderbird 500 Flicker (Black) colour to the new colour Lightning (greyish brown) as the dealer informed me that the normal black is now discontinued.

I liked the new colour and also liked it that they've used metal for the brand Royal Enfield on the tank. Looks a lot better than the earlier model which used fibre / plastic.

Here are some pics alongside one of my other rides - Yamaha Ray Z . The pics are for TB350 while mine is TB500. Delivery is due end of next week.

Royal Enfield: New Logo & key design too!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1400347048.230716.jpgRoyal Enfield: New Logo & key design too!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1400347065.112712.jpgRoyal Enfield: New Logo & key design too!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1400347081.108057.jpg
liv2drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2014, 23:46   #64
BHPian

So here i was, wondering, why everyone's making such a big deal over a change of logo!!! I mean it should hardly be a deal breaker!!! What matters is the bike that you are eventually gonna buy. Imagine someone not buying the bike because he/she doesn't like the logo!!!
But then i got what it is. I understood what most of them are feeling - "Irritation".
I had a similar experience last year when i was contemplating buying the Ninja 300. It was my dream machine and everything but i could just not ignore one thing on it. The N250 had the Kawasaki logo on the gas tank and the Ninja logo below it and i absolutely loved it. But on the N300, it was the Ninja logo on the tank and the Kawasaki logo somewhere no one could see it!!! I absolutely hated it and it kept bothering me. Now i understand most of your sentiments about the new Enfield logo and i think the older one was better.
Eventually though, people will accept the new logo and move on i'm sure. The new color schemes look interesting!!!
Old 19th May 2014, 00:15   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

On a positive note, if you have a Royal Enfield with the new logo you know it is brand new and has the latest improvements built into it.

In the past (and after a few months) the only way to know you were/are getting a brand new motorcycle was to look at the production date on the bike.

I know a few of you won't believe it but Royal Enfield is constantly making changes to improve their motorcycles.

Unlike some auto makers, they don't wait for the "next year production" to put these improvements into their motorcycles so when the new parts are available they suddenly appear on the assembly line to be built into the next motorcycle.

Behind the scenes, a lot of work and coordination is needed to procure the new parts, update part number books to reflect the change and revise assembly instructions as needed.
This is not inexpensive and IMO Royal Enfield is to be commended for providing the best available designs to their customer as soon as possible.
Old 19th May 2014, 12:44   #66
J.Ravi

The need of the hour is very useful features like 12 V charger and tubeless tyres, which I am missing in my Thunderbird 500. Nowadays, even scooters costing less than half the cost of Royal Enfields have them. Instead of indulging in cosmetic changes, Royal Enfield should provide them as standard fitment in all the models.
  (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 15:39   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
The need of the hour is very useful features like 12 V charger and tubeless tyres, ----- Instead of indulging in cosmetic changes, Royal Enfield should provide them as standard fitment in all the models.
Rightly said Ravi Sir,
Rear Disk across models (optional at-least), 6th gear for the smoother 3 digits.
raguprasad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 09:53   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan2129 View Post

Was this grouping there before ? I don't remember retro street & standard street titles being there ?
You are right Shan, these were not there. It seems RE is going through some major changes and these are the intermediate delta changes.

One good thing that I observed is that now Std350 will be available with Disks (I presume its optional), but then its good to have disks.

Brakes Front 7" Twin lead internal expanding drum brake (Also available with Disc Brakes) [copy paste from RE page]

Another thing that I have noticed is the availability of ES in the Std350 model

Engine Start Kick (Also available with Electric start) [copy paste from RE page]

Regards,
Majumdarda is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 10:30   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
You are right Shan, these were not there. It seems RE is going through some major changes and these are the intermediate delta changes.

One good thing that I observed is that now Std350 will be available with Disks (I presume its optional), but then its good to have disks.

Brakes Front 7" Twin lead internal expanding drum brake (Also available with Disc Brakes) [copy paste from RE page]

Another thing that I have noticed is the availability of ES in the Std350 model

Engine Start Kick (Also available with Electric start) [copy paste from RE page]

Regards,
And these are nice changes. I hope they do some engine power up gradation on their bikes. Just not a bigger piston in a bigger bore, but some increase in BHP in smaller displacement.
shan2129 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 15:58   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2drive View Post
Just changed my booking of Thunderbird 500 Flicker (Black) colour to the new colour Lightning (greyish brown) as the dealer informed me that the normal black is now discontinued.

I liked the new colour and also liked it that they've used metal for the brand Royal Enfield on the tank. Looks a lot better than the earlier model which used fibre / plastic.

Here are some pics alongside one of my other rides - Yamaha Ray Z . The pics are for TB350 while mine is TB500. Delivery is due end of next week.
I am in the same predicament. Having booked my TB350 in Flicker (Black) way back in February, I was eagerly awaiting the delivery dates. When I visited the dealer I was really disappointed when they informed me that Flicker is no longer available. Marine, Lightning and Stone (Matte Black) were the only colors to choose from! How could RE even think about discontinuing the legacy metallic Black shade is beyond me. Not everyone wants to ride a Blue/Ash Brown (subjective).

The dealer did mention that they had written to RE expressing the concern and disappointment majority of their customers had upon discontinuation of Flicker shade.

A couple of pics of the Marine shade of the TB at the dealers stockyard.

As of now I am contemplating to change my TB booking to a Classic 350!
Darth_Vader is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 19:53   #71

I just completed the PDI of my TB500 Lightning colour. No issues to report thankfully ! The Chassis number has a sticker date of 2nd May'2014.

Had booked the black (Flicker) colour on 19th April ; changed it to Lightning last week when they shared the black colour has been discontinued. Here I am ; getting the delivery in a week's time so not bad at all in terms of waiting period !

Made the payment and now waiting for the delivery in the next few days!!

Haven't got any accessories from the dealer.

Will update once I get the delivery !!
Old 20th May 2014, 20:24   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2drive View Post
I just completed the PDI of my TB500 Lightning colour. No issues to report thankfully ! The Chassis number has a sticker date of 2nd May'2014.
=========
Will update once I get the delivery !!
Congrats on your TB500. Even I like the Lightning color even though Stone is my favorite in the TB. Do send us pics of your ride as the pics on the RE site dont do justice to the color scheme.
Old 21st May 2014, 04:11   #73
BHPian

Hey guys, any idea what's the waiting period for Thunderbird 350 in Goa? I placed an order in February and was told that there is 6 months waiting period. But now after visiting a couple of forums i see that people are getting delivery in a month. Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 19:01   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1dotcom View Post
Congrats on your TB500. Even I like the Lightning color even though Stone is my favorite in the TB. Do send us pics of your ride as the pics on the RE site dont do justice to the color scheme.
Hi,

A few clicks up and you have pictures of both the colors --> Lightning and Marine. Hope that helps.
Old 27th May 2014, 04:39   #75
BHPian

The new logo looks like shit, but would RE really care. I guess not. With their share price going up INR 1k every month, it is at about 7.4k IIRC. from 6k something last month. They have nothing to loose. This is just a gimmick to show its shareholders that they are on the path of movement and upgradation to further jack up the share price. So far, they have been successful.

Most Viewed