Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2014, 10:12   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 2014 Motorcycle purchase dilemma (200-400cc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Nice thread, parrys. And coincidently came at a time when I was going through similar confusion. Finally brought home a black CBR250R last Saturday.

Attachment 1244189
A very sensible purchase supremeBaleno.

I see that the tyres are still the same Conti Gos. Hadn't Honda switched to MRFs?
parrys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2014, 11:42   #62
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the purchase supremeBaleno. Any reason that you didn't wait for the rumored upgrade to the CBR?
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2014, 12:41   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys
A very sensible purchase supremeBaleno.
Thanks, parrys. Should work for my needs, though the N300 was what I really wanted, but opted out due to following reasons :
1) I stay 110kms away from Tvm / Cochin, which are I believe the nearest sales/service locations for the Ninja.
While I would love biking down this distance, I don't have the time to spare for this, since I am there barely for the weekends.
2) I am not a hardcore biker like most guys on this thread. And thus I doubt I would be able to use the N300 to the extent it is capable of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys
I see that the tyres are still the same Conti Gos. Hadn't Honda switched to MRFs?
Yes, the tyres are Continentals. No idea about the MRF switch-over. Are the MRFs better than the Contis ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher
Congrats on the purchase supremeBaleno. Any reason that you didn't wait for the rumored upgrade to the CBR?
I did read about the rumoured upgrade to the CBR & also the 'upcoming' R25 had my interest, but I had already waited so long (since the time CBR was launched) that I just decided to go for it.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 27th May 2014 at 12:43.
Old 27th May 2014, 13:25   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the tyres are Continentals. No idea about the MRF switch-over. Are the MRFs better than the Contis?
When I went for the Honda Big Bike ride, I had very less expectations from the Conti Gos based on ownership reports.

But I was really pleased by the performance. Was riding for 400+ kms that day and the tyres held up pretty well, even on wet roads. (Although I was very cautious + I had the C-ABS)

I guess the MRF Revz series is a tad bit better. The Conti's are a harder compound compared to the MRF I guess.
Old 27th May 2014, 21:40   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
I am incredibly happy with the ABS in my D390 that I am planning to buy only bikes with ABS going forward. Saved my skin a few times!

There are only 3 bikes with ABS in the range that you have mentioned:
1. Apache RTR 180 - I have heard people talk very high about its ABS
2. CBR250R - I owned one, but without ABS. Super smooth and great ride. Not for out right acceleration. I have no idea about the ABS
3. D390 - I am in love :-) - Can't point out to any niggles (small fuel tank? Thats all I can think off) - Less manic than D200 and great for highways and an occasional thrills. Guaranteed to reduce the (mental) age by 5-10 years.

Have fun!
There are few experiences on the forum where owners were not happy with the delay with which the ABS kicked in. Especially with the rear wheel. The wheel locked before the ABS activated. That's why I said this
Old 28th May 2014, 09:17   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
There are few experiences on the forum where owners were not happy with the delay with which the ABS kicked in. Especially with the rear wheel. The wheel locked before the ABS activated. That's why I said this
Infact I have felt the complete opposite. The ABS actually kicks in a bit early. But do note that in an ABS system there will always be an acceptable amount of slip. There was a very interesting article I have read somewhere about core working of the ABS, Ill try to get the link.

That said, yes, the rear brake do lock up and the 390 fish tails a bit. But that means you are applying the back brake more. Remember the 70:30/80:20 rule of braking? Its applicable to even ABS equipped bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
I guess the MRF Revz series is a tad bit better. The Conti's are a harder compound compared to the MRF I guess.
Yes, they are softer than Conti-GOs. My friend switch to the REV-z for the rear of his CBR (non-ABS) and said that he experienced a world of difference. Later he changed the Front to PSD and was grinning like a kid! He said, pointing to the Conti-GO that it was the reason why such a brilliant handling bike was handling like a yacht.

I have heard that the MRF's that some bikes are coming equipped with is way better that the Conti. No personal experience though.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 28th May 2014 at 09:24.
man_of_steel is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 12:04   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the tyres are Continentals. No idea about the MRF switch-over. Are the MRFs better than the Contis ?
Found a link, where the CBR 250R was seen shod with MRFs

The one on the left is MRF, right is Conti.
The 2014 Motorcycle purchase dilemma (200-400cc)-dsc_0811.jpg

Image source: XBHP
Old 29th May 2014, 17:33   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
My friend switch to the REV-z for the rear of his CBR (non-ABS) and said that he experienced a world of difference. Later he changed the Front to PSD and was grinning like a kid! He said, pointing to the Conti-GO that it was the reason why such a brilliant handling bike was handling like a yacht.

I have heard that the MRF's that some bikes are coming equipped with is way better that the Conti. No personal experience though.
Similar experience after putting in Michelins (both front and rear) after 24k odd kms. I've been grinning while taking corners ever since! Never knew tyres would make so much of a difference. Although the ContiGos were not bad per se, but the Pilot Street is so so much better.
Old 2nd June 2014, 14:57   #69
BHPian

Hey guys don't know if my query is pertaining to this thread but still, I need to know the mono shock-absorber's length, outside diameter and preload of KTM 200, Honda Unicorn and Yamaha FZ. Need it for a small project.
Thanks.
Old 2nd June 2014, 18:02   #70
BHPian

Parry sir,

Help. What else do we expect in remaining months .I am primarily looking from a tourer perspective with a occasional daily drive to office some 5 km.s away & a Bike where posture is upright. what ever getting launched are mainly with aggressive rider option. Are we getting anything like zuma which is in budget as well.
Old 3rd June 2014, 09:42   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
Parry sir,

Help. What else do we expect in remaining months .I am primarily looking from a tourer perspective with a occasional daily drive to office some 5 km.s away & a Bike where posture is upright. what ever getting launched are mainly with aggressive rider option. Are we getting anything like zuma which is in budget as well.
The upcoming Zma-R and the ZMR suits your bill I guess. But that is only if you can live with the looks of it.

The Bajaj SS400 will also fit the bill as a perfect sports tourer. I think we can expect it soon enough. (Or is it the 200 that is coming in first??) And the clipons seems to be placed well high.

The face lifted CBR250/300 is out of question since you are looking for an upright posture!
man_of_steel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2014, 10:46   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Parry sir,

Have you tried the Duke 200? If not, please do.

If budget sensitive, a lot of Duke 200 owners are upgrading to the Duke 390 or any of the upcoming motorcycles, so you might get a really good deal on a used Duke 200 as well.

What is the max budget?

As man_of_steel suggested, you can look at the Karizma / ZMR, but one needs to have some serious guts to buy something which looks that way.
Old 3rd June 2014, 14:15   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Have you tried the Duke 200? If not, please do.
Tried. short gearing doesn't help and tank range is major concern. On Our side, Petrol pumps are usually separated by at least 50 KM;s. pillion seat is a concern. Home ministry kicked me for even thinking about it. imagine if i bought one
Quote:
What is the max budget?
As man_of_steel suggested, you can look at the Karizma / ZMR, but one needs to have some serious guts to buy something which looks that way.
I am Keeping a budget till 2.5 L strictly no more than that. Karizma / ZMR was a option until they decided to upgrade. Last thing i want is some body posting the bike's pics in weird & wacky mod thread.
Old 3rd June 2014, 15:28   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tried. short gearing doesn't help and tank range is major concern. On Our side, Petrol pumps are usually separated by at least 50 KM;s. pillion seat is a concern. Home ministry kicked me for even thinking about it. imagine if i bought one
Agreed, the pillion seat is very, very uncomfortable.

Quote:
I am Keeping a budget till 2.5 L strictly no more than that. Karizma / ZMR was a option until they decided to upgrade. Last thing i want is some body posting the bike's pics in weird & wacky mod thread.
Go ahead with the CBR 250R C-ABS then. You will even get the Repsol paint scheme at about 2.20 lakhs OTR. A very comfortable tourer, a very decent seat for the pillion, and good performance too.
Old 3rd June 2014, 16:31   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
a very decent seat for the pillion
Seriously? With that weird prostate-massaging hump in the center? Have you ever sat on it?
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks