Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2014, 16:35   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 2014 Motorcycle purchase dilemma (200-400cc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Seriously? With that weird prostate-massaging hump in the center? Have you ever sat on it?
Compared to the Dukes, the R15 etc., the seat has enough room to be seated.

About that hump, it might be slightly uncomfortable for males, but not so for the opposite sex.
parrys is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2014, 00:13   #77
BHPian

The ultimate dilemma : RC 390 vs Duke 390 vs Ninja 300

Hello fellow BHPians

So finally after 5 years of following team-bhp and second membership application, I finally got my membership approved. Many thanks to moderators for that. I really appreciate the way team-bhp has evolved over the time as has the Indian automobile scenario.

To introduce myself, I am kanishka. I stay in Mumbai and work for a bank. I currently drive a 2009 Ritz VDi and boy o boy, what a car it has been to me. Loved the tall boy stance, the amazing control and extraordinary fuel efficiency all along. I have previously owned a TVS Victor, from 2003-2009 and a TVS Apache RTR 180 from 2011-2013.

While in Mumbai, yes it does add to comfort to have a car at your disposal, one always feels a requirement for a motorbike. I have been craving to hit the ghats during the monsoons and start my touring life on 2 wheels, much of which has been done on 4 wheels till now. So, the search started. My basic requirement will be 50% Mumbai, 50% touring. ABS is a must, atleast a deal breaker. I am considering the following bikes. Fellow BHPians, I need your advice and help in choosing one

1. Ninja 300: Love at first sight. Period. Actually I was in love with the Ninja 250, but couldnt pursue my dream back then. But this one is absolutely beautiful, a powerful yet efficient machine. I like the fact that stance is not very slanted, like R15, nor it is as straight as KTM. Only downsides in my opinion is ABS. club it with the price of 3.96 on road mumbai, this becomes a strict No No. I enquired about the Indian models being upgraded to Ninja 300 SE ABS but no information regarding the same at the pro-biking. Also the Ninja is not available for a test drive and putting up 4L without even trying the machine is not making sense at all.

2. Duke 390: I got to drive the duke at the showroom. To be very true I was skeptical about me being able to sit properly on a KTM considering i am almost 6'1 and the heating problems. During the small test drive I didnt feel uncomfortable at all, infact I was pleasantly surprised the way the bike was comfortable in comparison to my RTR. The engine is a rocket no doubt about it. Heating is something which I am told is being taken care of in the newer models. So is the problem related to 'Hot start'. However I test drove an earlier edition model and it did got off during the small ride itself. It required 3 attempts to start the bike.

I liked the bike, more so its brilliant pricing of 2.08L in Mumbai, but somehow it didn't felt the upgrade from RTR 180. No offense to anyone and I agree the Duke beats the hell out of RTR on every front, but somehow that big bike feel was missing. Moreover the quality issues, even though are taken care of, somehow scares me. May be I should try the bike again.

3. RC 390: Why I am including RC 390 in the discussion is because as per the Pro-biking, the bookings should start as soon as next month. Price is expected to be around 2.4L on the road. The only issue I have with the RC 390, in addition to all the issues of Duke 390 is the aggressive R15 type styling. If it is little more comforting than R15, I think I will book it.

I am not really considering CBR and R25. CBR never turned me on from the looks of it. I followed its launch very carefully and was a little disappointed to have a VFR look rather than CBR look (No offense). Still, I would have considered it had Duke 390 was not offered to Indians. R25, as from the launch photos, should be a proper track bike which I am not looking forward to.

Looking forward to your inputs

PS: As per the probiking, we should expect a single cylinder 250cc Ninja by the year end. Expect the price around 3L.
kanishka88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2014, 12:29   #78
BHPian

Re: The ultimate dilemma : RC 390 vs Duke 390 vs Ninja 300

I am in the same dilemma as you. After having owned a Graptor 150, a Pulsar 180 and currently owing an RE Electra; I am sort of looking at owing a middle weight sports bike again. While I love my RE Electra to bits and its a dream to ride on long distance, it lacks the grip and high revving nature of its counterparts.

I was also contemplating choosing between the KTM 200 and the KTM 390. However at this point of time; I have decided to wait a bit more for the Bajaj Pulsar 400 CS and SS. I hope they will be able to provide me motorcycles conforming to their mantra of 'almost KTM technology at sub-KTM pricing'.
Old 15th June 2014, 12:05   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
About that hump, it might be slightly uncomfortable for males, but not so for the opposite sex.
talking from experience?

jokes Apart, I think inazuma is back in contention now. dealer called me yesterday to inform that they have reduced prices by more than 1 L. earlier on road price in delhi was 3.4 L, now they are quoting me 2.31 L ( Insurance included ). I am bit suspect on above reduction as it seems that no other dealer is aware of this reduction. Website still displays earlier prices. could not search for any such info via Google as well . called customer care & whole bunch is on leave. Guard picked up the phone
.sushilkumar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2014, 23:22   #80
BHPian

Suzuki slashes Inazuma price by a lakh!

http://www.motoroids.com/news/breaki...medium=twitter

I got a quote for Rs 3.4 lakhs OTR in Mumbai incl RTO & Insurance just last week!
Old 16th June 2014, 06:30   #81
BHPian

Comfortable pillion - CBR 250R

Quote:
Seriously? With that weird prostate-massaging hump in the center? Have you ever sat on it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
Compared to the Dukes, the R15 etc., the seat has enough room to be seated.

parrys is right - http://rideapart.com/2011/10/the-sur...honda-cbr250r/

Cheers !
Ironhide is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 14:00   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Suzuki slashes Inazuma price by a lakh!

http://www.motoroids.com/news/breaki...medium=twitter

I got a quote for Rs 3.4 lakhs OTR in Mumbai incl RTO & Insurance just last week!

Just a thought on this price correction on the inazuma. This is not a product where they're clearing stock even if it's at a loss with the view to stop selling going forward (like Honda did with it's civic hybrid). They've re-priced it with the categoric intention of continuing to sell AND profit from its sales.

Unless they've radically changed approach like import route vs CKD etc, I'm amazed how a product could slash price by such a massive margin and still remain profitable. That just shows (a) the extent of extraordinary margin they were originally trying to milk; and (b) how clueless they were in the product's inherent ability to even command those prices. Because anyone who seems to know anything about bikes was of the view it won't succeed because of the price.

Even if the cut was achieved through a change in production strategy, I question why the cheaper approach wasn't followed in the first place.

Unless of course I'm missing something fundamental in this whole development.

Having said that and credit due where it's warranted, it is very decent of them to offer a refund to those customers who paid the higher price for it. Not every manufacturer would have taken that step although not doing so would be extremely unfair to the early customers given how soon from launch the price has been slashed.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 17:13   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanishka88 View Post
I am not really considering CBR and R25. CBR never turned me on from the looks of it. I followed its launch very carefully and was a little disappointed to have a VFR look rather than CBR look (No offense).
If it is just the looks, then may be there is a suitable solution for this problem in the near future. The facelifted CBR 250R / CBR 300R coming our way. Do browse through the previous pages on this thread, I've added a few images.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
I am in the same dilemma as you. After having owned a Graptor 150, a Pulsar 180 and currently owing an RE Electra; I am sort of looking at owing a middle weight sports bike again. While I love my RE Electra to bits and its a dream to ride on long distance, it lacks the grip and high revving nature of its counterparts.

I was also contemplating choosing between the KTM 200 and the KTM 390. However at this point of time; I have decided to wait a bit more for the Bajaj Pulsar 400 CS and SS. I hope they will be able to provide me motorcycles conforming to their mantra of 'almost KTM technology at sub-KTM pricing'.
First, can we have a few pictures of the Graptor please. The name was almost forgotten. Wasn't it the first bike to have a tachometer moving from top to bottom?

If you ask me, the Pulsar CS 400 looks much better than the SS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
jokes Apart, I think inazuma is back in contention now. dealer called me yesterday to inform that they have reduced prices by more than 1 L. earlier on road price in delhi was 3.4 L, now they are quoting me 2.31 L ( Insurance included ). I am bit suspect on above reduction as it seems that no other dealer is aware of this reduction. Website still displays earlier prices. could not search for any such info via Google as well . called customer care & whole bunch is on leave. Guard picked up the phone
It is now official, even on the website.
A lakh is a huge price correction. I'm sure it will find more buyers now. Along with that price cut, I just wish they had re-designed that front tyre fender too.
parrys is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2014, 22:18   #84

Has any RE Thunderbird user gone in for the KTM Duke 200 or 390 ? Or vice versa ?
Old 24th June 2014, 09:38   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18pcs View Post
Has any RE Thunderbird user gone in for the KTM Duke 200 or 390 ? Or vice versa ?
Present Saar! From '09 TBTS to '13 390.
Old 24th June 2014, 12:00   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Present Saar! From '09 TBTS to '13 390.
And your honest opinion? What are the pluses and minuses if any? Thanks, your reply will be really helpful to me to decide.
Old 24th June 2014, 13:00   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18pcs View Post
And your honest opinion? What are the pluses and minuses if any? Thanks, your reply will be really helpful to me to decide.
In one sentence "I think switching to the 390 from the TBTS was one of the best decisions I have made and I am a happy man now". Now, don't get me wrong that the 390 is a perfect bike. Its just that I am able to live with some compromises for the performance it offers. Let me just list out the pros and cons of both for you.

TBTS
Pros:
- Sofa like seats and a comfortable pillion seat
- Loads of space to strap on any amount of luggage
- Simplicity by Design

Cons:
- Brakes
- Brakes
- Again, Brakes
- Comfortable cruising speed is only 80kmph
- Legendary RE reliability

390 Duke
Pros(The things I am happy about):
- Performance, including the Metzeler's grip
- ABS + Killer front brakes
- Hard seat - Now, this might not be everybody's cup of tea. But I found this hard seat to be perfect for touring
- Cheap and readily available spares
- Reliability

Cons(The things I have learned to live with):
- Not too pillion friendly. Although my wife did'nt find it too uncomfortable during some 120kms round trips, it is still uncomfortable. Its not due to its hard nature but due to its lack of space
- Engine heat in traffic. Now, this is not an issue, but that 375cc mill is pumping out 44bhp. It is bound to produce some heat. I am able to live with that heat on my daily commute through Bangalore
- Jerky low RPM fuelling
- Stiff suspension
- Rough engine nature(When compared to Hondas or Kawasakis or Yamahas) and clunky gearbox
- Some unaddressed issues from KTM like alloy breaking. I have not encountered any issues so far and that too with my rough OFF and ON the road usages (Touchwood)
- Headlights are on the weaker side

Now, The cons about the 390 should be given a thought about, carefully. Because not everybody can live with it and some may find such cons to be a deal breaker. Where as some others might be able to live with it. And I can personally promise you that once you learn to live with those cons, the reward will be fruitful.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2014, 14:39   #88
Senior - BHPian

I have a friend whose uncle is a big Yamaha dealer up north. Attends all the company-dealer meetings.

Per him India is definitely not going to be getting the Yamaha twin. Instead what we would be getting is a single (same capacity) that is going to directly target Honda's CBR 250.

Expected power is going to be slightly higher than the CBR. Around 28 bhp.

Just thought I would share this extremely disappointing news.

What is wrong with Yamaha? Indonesia deserves a twin and we get a single? Crap!
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2014, 17:01   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a friend whose uncle is a big Yamaha dealer up north. Attends all the company-dealer meetings.

Per him India is definitely not going to be getting the Yamaha twin. Instead what we would be getting is a single (same capacity) that is going to directly target Honda's CBR 250.
Thats a big downer!

I remember Shumi giving such a prediction last year itself!

http://overdrive.in/news/analysis-th...ine-at-launch/
Old 24th June 2014, 22:23   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
In one sentence "I think switching to the 390 from the TBTS was one of the best decisions I have made and I am a happy man now". Now, don't get me wrong that the 390 is a perfect bike. Its just that I am able to live with some compromises for the performance it offers. Let me just list out the pros and cons of both for you.

390 Duke
Pros(The things I am happy about):

Cons(The things I have learned to live with):

Now, The cons about the 390 should be given a thought about, carefully. Because not everybody can live with it and some may find such cons to be a deal breaker. Where as some others might be able to live with it. And I can personally promise you that once you learn to live with those cons, the reward will be fruitful.
If not a KTM 390 (some cons may be a deterring factor for me, like the heat, stiff suspension, Headlights, clunky gearbox (very important). What would you be looking for as your next bike ? Was also considering the KTM Duke 200 mainly because of the engine heat. Thanks in advance for your detailed reply

Last edited by aah78 : 25th June 2014 at 23:06. Reason: Post edited. Please avoid quoting large posts. Quote only relevant portions for ease of reading on mobile devices. Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks