Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2014, 16:03   #1
Senior - BHPian

Finger Wiper for Helmet Visors @ Rs. 50

Sagar Ashok Jage, a diploma holder in Automobile Engineering and B.E. in Mechanical Engineering has come up with an innovative solution for those who ride during the monsoons. Called the Finger Wiper, you can strap this product to your finger and clean water / mud water off the helmet visor for better vision.

Features:
  • Easy to use, simply strap on your finger. Can be strapped over your existing riding glove as well using the velcro + elastic strap.
  • Can be used on any finger.
  • Rubber wiper, does not damage the helmet visor.
  • Clears water + mud particles from the helmet visor to provide better visibility.
  • Flexible, one can operate the clutch / front brake lever when wearing it.
  • Portable, fits in your pocket. Light weight too.
  • Can be used for car mirrors too.
  • Low cost @ Rs. 50/-

Finger Wiper for Helmet Visors @ Rs. 50-final-design.jpg

Finger Wiper for Helmet Visors @ Rs. 50-mounting-finger.jpg

Finger Wiper for Helmet Visors @ Rs. 50-bending-while-using.jpg

Want to buy one?
Email: 3creativepioneers@gmail.com

Last edited by GTO : 20th May 2014 at 16:24.
parrys is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 17:07   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Finger Wiper for Helmet Visors @ Rs. 50

For a moment, I thought today is April the 1st !

When I used to ride a bike, I used to open the helmet visor upwards and keep it at a 45 degrees angle when it was raining.
SmartCat is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 17:52   #3
BHPian

Looks like a brilliant invention. How comfortable would this be while riding the bike. I don't know if it would be really useful while riding in rains compromising safety in a pot-hole ridden, wet road balancing your bike with a single hand
adarsh.n is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 19:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
Sagar Ashok Jage, a diploma holder in Automobile Engineering and B.E. in Mechanical Engineering has come up with an innovative solution for those who ride during the monsoons. Called the Finger Wiper, you can strap this product to your finger and clean water / mud water off the helmet visor for better vision.
Love it, love it, love it! Hehe, I've read of other material like chamois leather being used but I like this better. Placing order!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh.n View Post
Looks like a brilliant invention. How comfortable would this be while riding the bike. I don't know if it would be really useful while riding in rains compromising safety in a pot-hole ridden, wet road balancing your bike with a single hand
Will be amazingly useful for long riders - in the wet, a godsend!
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 19:40   #5
BHPian

Looks good for once for removing the grime and mud but can't see it being used for wiping water, which will be pouring continuously. Like our cars' wipers have to move continuously to keep the water off the windscreen.

The wiped water will come back on the visor in just 2 seconds. But quite innovative and useful for wiping off the mud and dirt.

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 20:17   #6
BHPian

Good try by the inventor. However, in all possibilities, it makes more sense to just stop riding for sometime when it is raining.

I feel the cleaning of the visor should be done only when you have come to a complete halt and not while riding!!
vinair is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 20:51   #7
BHPian

I feel the need is more for a continuous wipe to keep the visor clear of water especially in heavy rain. I cannot think of riding using my finger to clear the water off my visor and negotiating traffic and potholes.
I would do the same- keep the visor at an angle to prevent moisture from fogging my vision and prevent the rain from hitting my face.
Old 21st May 2014, 10:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

Guys this is not for continuously clearing pouring water. Because of the speed the water anyways channels up and away (refer to how water moves on a cars windshield). This is to intermittently clean the visor of muck and clear your vision field. I personally would prefer a strip of chamois stitched to the inner edge of my left glove's index finger for this. This looks cumbersome and will likely interfere with feel while riding.
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 11:18   #9

Nice little things there. Wouldn't it also be easier to coat the visor with some sort of sealant may be C845 that can just bead and repel water as you ride. Just a thought
Old 21st May 2014, 13:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

Outright dangerous to take one hand off from the handlebar during riding, to try and perform a somewhat cumbersome procedure.

The end purpose of such a product is supposed to enhance rider safety and using this, will end up compromising just that!!!
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 13:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
This looks cumbersome and will likely interfere with feel while riding.
Doc, Concur with your thoughts on this. A chamois strip stiched onto your left index finger on the glove should be more than sufficient.

however need to appreciate the novelty of this idea.
Old 21st May 2014, 16:10   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Outright dangerous to take one hand off from the handlebar during riding, to try and perform a somewhat cumbersome procedure.

The end purpose of such a product is supposed to enhance rider safety and using this, will end up compromising just that!!!
Yes, it may be dangerous to take one hand off the bar but it's a lot more dangerous to not be able to see clearly in front of you!

IMO, this will be very useful during a drizzle when you get sprayed by other vehicles in front of you. There's usually not enough rain coming down to clean the visor in such a situation.

But the one concern I do have is the wiper scratching the visor. A scratch-free visor will repel water quite well but once scratched, it no longer cleans easily and visibility is reduced.
Motard_Blr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 16:19   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
Yes, it may be dangerous to take one hand off the bar but it's a lot more dangerous to not be able to see clearly in front of you!

IMO, this will be very useful during a drizzle when you get sprayed by other vehicles in front of you. There's usually not enough rain coming down to clean the visor in such a situation.

But the one concern I do have is the wiper scratching the visor. A scratch-free visor will repel water quite well but once scratched, it no longer cleans easily and visibility is reduced.
Agree on all points.

Its not the rain which messes with a rider's vision. Its the fine mud spray. Especially when you overtake a truck or bus or SUV or even come up behind a car. That's the biggest deterrent to clear vision. And its usually there in drying conditions. When the tyres of the vehicles are raising the spray, but the skies are no longer sending it down to wash it away. Or when your speeds are such that you have to keep the visor down, and the spray is blinding you. You HAVE to then wipe -with whatever you have. Your life is more important than scratching the visor.
ebonho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 16:31   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Agree on all points.

Its not the rain which messes with a rider's vision. Its the fine mud spray. Especially when you overtake a truck or bus or SUV or even come up behind a car. That's the biggest deterrent to clear vision. And its usually there in drying conditions. When the tyres of the vehicles are raising the spray, but the skies are no longer sending it down to wash it away. Or when your speeds are such that you have to keep the visor down, and the spray is blinding you. You HAVE to then wipe -with whatever you have. Your life is more important than scratching the visor.
The difficulty is finding the balance between cleaning for immediate visibility and deteriorating long term visibility by scratching.

I have used Nikwax Visor Proof spray on my previous helmet. It works quite well but it takes some skill to apply it without streaking. It really helps on older visors which don't have the ability to shed water. But it's not useful on a brand new visor which is water-repellent anyway. I no longer use it since I bought a SOL SF-1 helmet a year ago. I'm extremely careful about how I keep the visor and clean it. I never wipe it dry and use soap or detergent to the extent possible.

BTW, my favourite visor cleaning agent is Mr. Muscle Glass cleaner spray. I use it after rinsing with plain water and then I rinse once afterwards. I even use it daily on my glasses! It cleans perfectly without any damage, even in the long term. By comparison, Colin is rubbish! For some reason it's a little hard to find in shops in BLR.
Motard_Blr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 16:45   #15
BHPian

This has been invented already. I've come across this 3 years ago. Practical but a little dangerous considering our driving conditions. I used them on highways and they were pretty helpful. I ride wearing spectacles so I cannot open the visor when it rains. This was the only option for me.

Finger Wiper for Helmet Visors @ Rs. 50-visorwipe3500x500.jpg
kingofmyworld is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks