Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2015, 17:57   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Duke of Direwolves - Lisbeth, my KTM Duke 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Doc - Lisbeth sure enjoys the mud facial, but I don't really enjoy cleaning the radiator every other day

Thank you for the kind words - keeping the had guards white for that contrast effect.

The error message was after I put LEDs, but it was not the first ride after putting the LEDs. I was having the LEDs for almost 2 months and would have used them for at least 15 - 20 hours. Also, on that day, I never switched on them, though my headlight was on always. So, I don't think the LEDs would have contributed to that message flashing on my console.

--Anoop
Thanks for confirming bro.

One pain from my Bullet days which I swore to NEVER repeat with my KTMs was to modify the stock bikes.

It is a special and rare kind of pleasure to ride a stock bike hard, and not have the tension of some garage mod failing when you are in the back of beyond.

It also helps when the bone stock bike has enough grunt and goodies from the factory not to need any garage modding.

I agree that the light is weak, but I just don't want to fool with the electricals.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2015, 18:09   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Thanks for confirming bro.

One pain from my Bullet days which I swore to NEVER repeat with my KTMs was to modify the stock bikes.

It is a special and rare kind of pleasure to ride a stock bike hard, and not have the tension of some garage mod failing when you are in the back of beyond.

It also helps when the bone stock bike has enough grunt and goodies from the factory not to need any garage modding.

I agree that the light is weak, but I just don't want to fool with the electricals.
To each his own, doc

For me, I have never been satisfied with the factory lights and horn of any of my vehicles, and have always upgraded them - right from my Ambassador and Splendor to the Duke. I agree that it is one less thing to take care of (the extra bits failing), but then there is no guarantee that even the stock bike or car wont fail you one day. I am just adding few more variables to the equation

--Anoop
Old 4th December 2015, 14:44   #228
BHPian

Quote:
--Anoop
Hello Sir,

How are you ? Hope you remember me

I thought you are caged and forgot what 2 wheels are . Well yeah, had seen couple of photos with your Duke on FB. It's been long time we met, let's catch up some time.
Shreeniwas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 15:18   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreeniwas View Post
Hello Sir,

How are you ? Hope you remember me

I thought you are caged and forgot what 2 wheels are . Well yeah, had seen couple of photos with your Duke on FB. It's been long time we met, let's catch up some time.
Ah, long time no see. I see that you upgraded to a Kwacker - do start an ownership thread

Let us catch up soon.

--Anoop
Old 9th December 2015, 18:07   #230
Senior - BHPian

After an year and a half of honeymoon period, Lisbeth kissed the earth for first time, yesterday on my way to office.

It happened on a service road - I was doing around 40 and then out of nowhere, this guy suddenly stepped in front of me, to cross the road. There was not much space or time to stop the bike, so I did what I could do best - flicked the bike to right so that I dont hit him, but my left shoulder hit his body and that impact literally threw me from the bike. I landed a bit ahead of the bike, and the first impact point was my knee and then my shoulder. The riding gears did their job well, and I was lucky to escape almost unhurt (other than a sore knee) - full marks to the gear.

The bike took the fall pretty well - the rear break pedal broke off in to 4 pieces, the crash guard got mangled and tore off from the upper anchor point and the front break lever broke off clean at the half cut mark, but otherwise, the bike was fine.

The Duke of Direwolves - Lisbeth, my KTM Duke 200-img_20151209_090906129.jpg

The Duke of Direwolves - Lisbeth, my KTM Duke 200-img_20151209_090833317.jpg

The Duke of Direwolves - Lisbeth, my KTM Duke 200-img_20151208_100253188.jpg

The guy who came in front of my bike didn't even fall down, and when I asked him if he is hurt, he looked sorry and mumbled to me to take car of myself and my bike and he scooted from the scene.

The spectators were watching me like an alien, probably because I just got up, dusted my jacket, talked to the guy who stepped in front of me and then resumed my journey like nothing happened

Lessons learned:
How ever uncomfortable it is, ATGATT is the way to go - what matters is moments like this, and if I was not wearing my riding pants, my knees would have taken the hit with full force and I would probably have end up in a hospital. Also, make sure you have a shoe which have a non-flexible sole. I could feel the feet dragging and forces on my shoes, and my CAT shoes did a good job of protecting my legs.

Never be in a hurry on service roads. If I was doing above 50, I couldn't have flicked my bike and saved him, and would have hit him and my bike would have sent him flying.

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 9th December 2015 at 18:08.
theexperthand is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 18:55   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After an year and a half of honeymoon period, Lisbeth kissed the earth for first time, yesterday on my way to office.
Oh boy! Very sorry to hear this mate! Glad the gear saved your skin and your bike also did not suffer anything major. This reinforces ATGATT that is taken very lightly by most people. And good your riding pants and the knee armor did their job well. Take care buddy!
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 22:08   #232
Senior - BHPian

Glad you came out relatively unhurt mate!

I cannot help but wonder, what if the bike landed on the other side. It would have been the gear lever taking the impact, breaking off in 4 pieces and rendering the bike un-ridable. That too at a speed of just 40 KPH!!

Worrying....

Gonna get me a spare lever for sure and also learn how to change one myself. Take care, ride safe
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2015, 00:06   #233
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry to hear that Anoop. Hope your knee feels better and wishing Lisbeth a quick recovery!

Needless to say your riding gear and safety equipment made all the difference between what actually happened and what could have happened in their absence, ATTGATT is the way to go. I hope all those bikers on our roads follow this or at least start following after reading this.
And some great points you listed as lessons learned
Life is NOT a race - it is an ongoing experience every day that we ought to learn from and improve.

Last edited by NPV : 12th December 2015 at 00:09.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2015, 14:04   #234
BHPian

Very sorry to hear this! Get well soon and good you were fully protected with the gear!
Mafioso is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 15:17   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Oh boy! Very sorry to hear this mate!
Thanks Abhinav - ATGATT is the only way to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
It would have been the gear lever taking the impact, breaking off in 4 pieces and rendering the bike un-ridable.
Thanks mate. I have broken my gear lever also, at a very low speed impact. Details here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3747588

I have heard that the RC levers are better and not prone to breakage - I am planning to upgrade my gear and break leavers to RC and plan to keep teh current set as spares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Sorry to hear that Anoop.
Thank you Narayan. Yes, it was only ATGATT what saved me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafioso View Post
Very sorry to hear this! Get well soon and good you were fully protected with the gear!
Thanks Bro.

After the fall, en route to office, I stopped at Marathalli KTM and picked up the break pedal - 375 INR or thereabouts. Picked up two screws also, for the crashguards - 5 INR reach. The crash guard was out of stock, so picked it up after couple of days - cost a princely sum of 121 INR

The impact made the top of the crash guard shear off from the mounting point - by leaving the stripped off screw inside the hole. I was planning to take it to a local welder to weld a piece of metal so that I can extract the stuck screw, but before that, I tried my luck with a concrete drill bit and a hammer, after spraying liberal amount of WD40. To my relief, I was able to remove the screw by slowly hammering the stem from a side to rotate it.

So, the break lever is back on, the crash guard is back on - the only piece left to fix is the front break lever. Will pick up a lever and change it when I get some more time for DIY - probably in January.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2015, 11:08   #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
As man_of_steel quoted, it is inugel expert from Motul. It is available at a MRP of 195INR over the counter. But in my year of ownership, I have never topped up the coolant till now let alone replace it. It is replaced only during the service by the SVC.

If you still need one, let me know I have one with me which I can give away. This was purchased from the SVC during the Ladakh ride and has not been used till date and still sealed.
Hi I need to buy Motul Inugel coolant for my D390. Some how it vanished from my coolant reservoir (the bike has done only 2500km). The nearest service centre is 220km away from where I live so, I am hoping to buy it on the internet. Do you know where I can order it from?

Thank you.
Old 28th December 2015, 18:01   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger4658 View Post
Hi I need to buy Motul Inugel coolant for my D390. Some how it vanished from my coolant reservoir (the bike has done only 2500km). The nearest service centre is 220km away from where I live so, I am hoping to buy it on the internet. Do you know where I can order it from?

Thank you.
Not sure of the internet as the SVC are very close by in Bangalore and I never had any issues with it till now. Sorry.

But the coolant should not vanish in any condition. Check if there are leaks in hoses or joints or worst case has it mixed up with the engine oil.
Old 28th December 2015, 19:51   #238

The nearest svc from where I live is 220 km away so, I am hoping I can refill the coolant before I visit the svc.
Old 31st December 2015, 14:46   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger4658 View Post
The nearest svc from where I live is 220 km away so, I am hoping I can refill the coolant before I visit the svc.
If there is no way to get the coolant and you just want to ride to SVC and get it changed, I would suggest you to drain the Motul completely, fill it with Castrol Radicool or any other equivalent and then take the bike to SVC and get it checked.

But, as unk9ja said, I am more concerned to know how did the coolant vanish all of a sudden - this is not at all normal, and need to be checked asap.

--Anoop
Old 20th January 2016, 20:50   #240
Senior - BHPian

For almost last two week's Lisbeth was suffering from health problems - she was riding well, but few moments after the fan goes on, or few moments after the headlight is switched on, the speedometer reading will go to zero. Since I have faced this issue followed by the battery low warning, I knew that my coil was really gone this time - but could find time to take her to Venkat's place - so rode her like this for a week and then kept her parked and commuted to work using our Scooty Zest.

The Duke of Direwolves - Lisbeth, my KTM Duke 200-img_20160113_093135155.jpg

Almost two weeks after the issue surfaced, I took leave yesterday and took her to Auto Service. She was hooked to the scanner and the scan confirmed that the coil is indeed gone. So, gave my go ahead to change the coil. Total damage to pocket was around 1600 (around 1100 for coil and 450 labor charges).

The old vs new.

The Duke of Direwolves - Lisbeth, my KTM Duke 200-img20160119wa0009.jpg

Today morning's ride to office was a nightmare - was standing in traffic for long time and the fan was furiously spinning frequently - but I was happy to see that the speedometer was not going to zero.

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 20th January 2016 at 20:56.
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed