Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2016, 21:08   #241
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Duke of Direwolves - Lisbeth, my KTM Duke 200

During a ride with fellow Team-BHP members, GoanDude pointed out that the tyre orientation of my front tyre is wrong - it came as a total surprise to me sicne almost 4 pair of eyes were watching the tyre change process and somehow, no one spotted this. I dropped in at Greashouse (Indimotard) to get this remedied and to enquire about their bash plates - I was eyeing them for a long time.

While the tyre orientation getting fixed, I was talking to Anand about the bash plate and he showed me a pair of handle bar risers and offered a short demo on their KTM which is fitted with them. I was actually thinking about getting the handle bars replaced, so this came as a blessing to me.

On the very next day, Lisbeth lost her plastic belly pan and got a sturdy bash plate, and a pair of handlebar risers.

The Duke of Direwolves - Lisbeth, my KTM Duke 200-1cd4ba0c6dd641a8b117079900b93adf.jpg

The Duke of Direwolves - Lisbeth, my KTM Duke 200-58a6f5487c3d4beb8d0e563c2483726e.jpg

The risers have made the sitting more upright and have made standing up riding a breeze. I feel a marked difference while riding - the pressure on shoulder is less now, and the upright sitting position have made the ride more relaxing. The biggest difference is felt while riding standing up - no more pressure on shoulder plates and no more slouching - can easily stand up without putting much effort on hands, and can stand up faster. After almost 750 km of usage, I love this modification.

Since the risers are only 1 inch, no cables needs to be changed - it is an easy 15 minutes, plug and play job. But on the other hand, the bash plate took some time to get fixed, to get the alignment spot on.

An Ode to my partner in crime - Lisbeth:

The Duke of Direwolves - Lisbeth, my KTM Duke 200-dsc_8775-1.jpg
--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2016, 21:49   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
On the very next day, Lisbeth lost her plastic belly pan and got a sturdy bash plate, and a pair of handlebar risers.
Have you done any long hauls (>100kms ride) after the installation of handlebar risers? Did you feel any noticeable difference during the ride (not stand-up riding but the usual highway rides)? Also if you dont mind sharing the cost of the risers please. Thanks!
abhinav.s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 11:59   #243
BHPian

Quote:
During a ride with fellow Team-BHP members, GoanDude pointed out that the tyre orientation of my front tyre is wrong - it came as a total surprise to me sicne almost 4 pair of eyes were watching the tyre change process and somehow, no one spotted this. I dropped in at Greashouse (Indimotard) to get this remedied and to enquire about their bash plates - I was eyeing them for a long time.

While the tyre orientation getting fixed, I was talking to Anand about the bash plate and he showed me a pair of handle bar risers and offered a short demo on their KTM which is fitted with them. I was actually thinking about getting the handle bars replaced, so this came as a blessing to me.

The risers have made the sitting more upright and have made standing up riding a breeze. I feel a marked difference while riding - the pressure on shoulder is less now, and the upright sitting position have made the ride more relaxing. The biggest difference is felt while riding standing up - no more pressure on shoulder plates and no more slouching - can easily stand up without putting much effort on hands, and can stand up faster. After almost 750 km of usage, I love this modification.

Since the risers are only 1 inch, no cables needs to be changed - it is an easy 15 minutes, plug and play job. But on the other hand, the bash plate took some time to get fixed, to get the alignment spot on.

An Ode to my partner in crime - Lisbeth:

--Anoop

Nice additions there Anoop.

Does the raisers come with the longer screws too? How much did they cost?

I had bought the bashplate from greasehouse but found the buzzy noise they make kind of irritating. Even fitting the plastic bushes didn't help and yeah aligning them while fitting can be cumbersome.

Don't use it now though for the following reason,
1. First long ride after fitting them, the buzzy noise made the ride unpleasant for me.
2. Took the bike off road and getting off an inclination hit a bump; bashplate did the job but the mounting plate(stock one) broke.

If there is some way to reduce the buzzy noise please do share the same.

Thanks!

Sam
samschenker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 12:17   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Have you done any long hauls (>100kms ride) after the installation of handlebar risers? Did you feel any noticeable difference during the ride (not stand-up riding but the usual highway rides)? Also if you dont mind sharing the cost of the risers please. Thanks!
Hi Abhinav,
No - I haven't done any >100 rides after getting the risers fitted. How ever, I do ride the bike 50-60 km every day and spend around 2-2.30 hrs on saddle every day. The riding posture is more relaxed, but the down side is that, you get more wind resistance when you cross triple digit speeds, so you need to crouch a bit to offset the new riding position.

I paid 1,600 INR for the risers and IIRC, 1,300 for the bash plate (the bash plates were running a discount).

Quote:
Originally Posted by samschenker View Post
Nice additions there Anoop.

Does the raisers come with the longer screws too? How much did they cost?

I had bought the bashplate from greasehouse but found the buzzy noise they make kind of irritating.
Sam
Hi Sam,

Thank you. The risers come with the screws and it is included in the price.

What exactly do you mean by buzzing sound? Is it constant buzzing, or is it the sound we get when some parts vibrate and resonate at particular RPMs? Luckily, I do not hear any buzzing noise - may be I am tone deaf, or I am just plan lucky

Thanks
Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 17:11   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sam,

Thank you. The risers come with the screws and it is included in the price.

What exactly do you mean by buzzing sound? Is it constant buzzing, or is it the sound we get when some parts vibrate and resonate at particular RPMs? Luckily, I do not hear any buzzing noise - may be I am tone deaf, or I am just plan lucky

Thanks
Anoop
Buzzing sound, more like a resonance but its present right from idle. A metallic sound due to the engine/bashplate contact?

Will visit them again to check if anything can be done about it.
Old 3rd March 2016, 18:15   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Buzzing sound, more like a resonance but its present right from idle. A metallic sound due to the engine/bashplate contact?

I feel that the bike sounds more gruff now, but it is not a buzzing kind of sound. But personally, never been bothered about it. Do keep me updated if you find a way to reduce the buzzing sound.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 18:59   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I paid 1,600 INR for the risers and IIRC, 1,300 for the bash plate (the bash plates were running a discount).
Quote:

That is a steal at which you got the bashplate, Anoop. Do write your reviews about it as there are mixed reviews I have found till now. Need to check with Indi for the handle bar raisers.

@samschenker: There is a metallic sound at idle, gear shift and lower rpms, but when you start to ride out, this vanishes. This is similar to the buzzing sound which many people have expressed here. In my case, it vanishes at around 40kmph mark and it sounds and feels like a stock bike.
unk9ja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 15:40   #248
BHPian

Took me two days, but I read through each and every post. Awesome Thread Anoop

How many KM have you done so far? Is your clock issue resolved or your have decided to let it be?

I was contemplating, buying a Duke 200 myself and hence stumbled on your thread. The only point stopping me from buying it is the lack of ABS. Most of my ride is going to be in the city (may get Leh'd on it as well but not sure as of now). So how important is the ABS thing specially on wet roads? Have you ever felt that as a lacking point in your ownership experience?

Last edited by @Chaand : 4th March 2016 at 15:55. Reason: Typo!
@Chaand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 16:37   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
That is a steal at which you got the bashplate, Anoop. Do write your reviews about it as there are mixed reviews I have found till now. Need to check with Indi for the handle bar raisers.
To put in a nutshell, I am happy with the bash plate. It is sturdy,well built and looks like it will do the job (yet to get it tested in read life ). I believe it may have introduced a bit gruffness in the sound (may be it is a feeling), but for me, that is not something which I can't live with. Luckily, when I checked about the bash plates, they were on sale - so, got them at a steal price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Chaand View Post
Took me two days, but I read through each and every post. Awesome Thread Anoop
Thank you Chaand. I have done 15K plus km till now, and haven't much felt the need of an ABS. While it is nice to have (and would surely have paid extra if it was available as an option), the 200 do not generate as much power as 390, and is a tame beast and you can certainly manage the bike without ABS. Personally, it is not a deal-breaker for me, though it is certainly a nice to have feature.

I changed the stock MRFs to Michelins and that have improved the road holding and wet breaking considerably.

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 4th March 2016 at 16:38.
Old 21st March 2016, 15:38   #250
Senior - BHPian

I wish to put Michelin tyres for my Duke 200.What should be the required tyre size for Front and rear?
Old 21st March 2016, 16:25   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
I wish to put Michelin tyres for my Duke 200.What should be the required tyre size for Front and rear?
Hi Hilram,

110/70 R 17 for the front and 150/60 - R 17 for the rear.

Do take a look at Pirelli Diablo Rosso also - they are available at almost similar prices, and the reviews looks good.

--Anoop
Old 21st March 2016, 17:32   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Hilram,

110/70 R 17 for the front and 150/60 - R 17 for the rear.

Do take a look at Pirelli Diablo Rosso also - they are available at almost similar prices, and the reviews looks good.

--Anoop
Thanks Anoop. If Pirelli is available,I shall go for it, but sincerely i hope it doesnt burn my pocket like Metzelers did for my D390.

Can i got for a wider tyre for my D200?
Old 21st March 2016, 18:14   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Thanks Anoop. If Pirelli is available,I shall go for it, but sincerely i hope it doesnt burn my pocket like Metzelers did for my D390.

Can i got for a wider tyre for my D200?
The reports indicates that Pirelli is priced closer to Michelin - 5K - 6K per tyre. Well, there is a bit co clearance and you should be able to up-size, but does D 200 really needs it? I think the Michelin and Pirelli in stock size is good enough to handle the power output of D 200. After all, the Pirelli Diablo Rosso is the OEM for D 390 in EU region.

--Anoop
Old 22nd March 2016, 17:49   #254
BHPian

Quote:
I feel that the bike sounds more gruff now, but it is not a buzzing kind of sound. But personally, never been bothered about it. Do keep me updated if you find a way to reduce the buzzing sound.

--Anoop
Got the bash plate fitted back, they(IndiMotard) have replaced the hard plastic bushes with rubber ones and that has reduced the buzzing sound a lot. Also had the bar raisers fitted, so far the feeling has been real good, more relaxed riding position.
samschenker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 00:09   #255
BHPian

Quote:
I dropped in at Greashouse (Indimotard) to get this remedied and to enquire about their bash plates - I was eyeing them for a long time.-
Hello Anoop,

We talked to Greashouse people from Pune for the engine guard / bash plate and they do not have it in stock for 390 however they said that 200 one fits for 390, we asked if they can take return if this do not fits however they are not ready to do this. Is it possible for you match the holes on plate with 390 if you drop at them next time? It will be really helpful for us to place the order from here.

Most Viewed