Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2018, 14:23   #346
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Duke of Direwolves - Lisbeth, my KTM Duke 200

One fine Sunday, I decided to do a quick off-road trip to scratch the itch - its been more than a month of no trail rides and both me and Lisbeth were getting cranky.

There is a dry lakebed near my house, an excellent place for getting a quick fix, so decided to go there.

We started from here:
The Duke of Direwolves - Lisbeth, my KTM Duke 200-img_20180909_113258effects.jpg

After roaming around for some time, saw this:
The Duke of Direwolves - Lisbeth, my KTM Duke 200-img_20180909_114351.jpg

It was a bit tricky due to the loose mud chunks and while climbing up, a huge chunk came loose and got wedged between my engine guard and earth, temporarily beaching me. Applied the front brake to keep the bike from sliding off but that resulted in this:
The Duke of Direwolves - Lisbeth, my KTM Duke 200-img_20180909_120629.jpg

Eventually, angled the bike differently and came out of the ditch:
The Duke of Direwolves - Lisbeth, my KTM Duke 200-img_20180909_114917.jpg

Since the damage was done, I had to limp back home without my front brake . It is really difficult to ride trails without your front brake and I made it back home in one piece, nursing the throttle gingerly and relying more on engine braking.

Took her to the Bannerghatta KTM service center the next day, but the braided brake liner was not in stock. They managed to source the part from another SVC at Bangalore and I got the brake liner replaced on next day. The part cost came to 1.75K and labor was around 500.

On another note, I am extremely satisfied with the Liqui Moly oil. The shifts are smoother and the smoothness has not diminished over time as I noticed when I was using Shell. I would wholeheartedly recommend this over Shell and Motul.

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 3rd October 2018 at 14:24.
theexperthand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 14:14   #347
Senior - BHPian

Posting a few pics from some of the previous off-road trips we did.

The Duke of Direwolves - Lisbeth, my KTM Duke 200-img_20180606_094638_hdr.jpg

The Duke of Direwolves - Lisbeth, my KTM Duke 200-img_20180606_094656_hdr.jpg

The Duke of Direwolves - Lisbeth, my KTM Duke 200-img_20180606_095011_hdr.jpg

The Duke of Direwolves - Lisbeth, my KTM Duke 200-img_20180606_095503_hdr.jpg

The Duke of Direwolves - Lisbeth, my KTM Duke 200-img_20180606_095614_hdr.jpg

The Duke of Direwolves - Lisbeth, my KTM Duke 200-img_20180715_111533_hdr-1.jpg

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 14:34   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Posting a few pics from some of the previous off-road trips we did.

--Anoop
Anoop, time to change the tyres to those knobby ones man.
sammyboy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 17:12   #349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Anoop, time to change the tyres to those knobby ones man.

They are in my wish list, and hopefully should be remedied soon. The Michelins are not even half worn yet

--Anoop
Old 7th December 2018, 17:08   #350
BHPian

I thought of sharing this with everyone TVS Auto Assist for bikes

An alternative to OrangeAssist at half the price. Read good reviews on the forum.
Romins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2019, 12:01   #351
Senior - BHPian

A quick update after a long time. It was time for the service and I decided to try out Highlander, mainly due to the good experience fellow member Romin had with them.

Took a day off and reached early morning. The place is large and airy, occupies a whole 4 storied building in one of the bylanes of HSR. The attention to detail was very good and the service was carried out to my satisfaction (and that, is no mean feat ). Apart from the regular service, changed the front and rear brake pads and chain and sprocket - they had both KTM OEM and Rolon kit in stock, and I went for Rolon.

This time, I procured Liqui Moly 10W50 Street Race and Liqui Moly engine flush shooter from Motonerdz (was running 20W50 Street and was very happy with the experience) and happy to say that after around 1K km on the Street Race, I am loving the smooth experience of Liqui Moly oils.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2019, 14:00   #352
BHPian

Quote:
A quick update after a long time. It was time for the service and I decided to try out Highlander, mainly due to the good experience fellow member Romin had with them.

Nice to know. I just booked a slot for my 390 this weekend.

Quote:
This time, I procured Liqui Moly 10W50 Street Race and Liqui Moly engine flush shooter from Motonerdz (was running 20W50 Street and was very happy with the experience) and happy to say that after around 1K km on the Street Race, I am loving the smooth experience of Liqui Moly oils.

--Anoop

Do they allow us to bring our own oil/coolant? I need to change my oil to Liquimoly and my Engine Ice is also more than 2 years old.
K a s h is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2019, 15:34   #353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Posting a few pics from some of the previous off-road trips we did
Bud, with the kind of riding you do; I highly recommend converting the front end to a 19 and replace current rubber with slightly knobblier pattern. This will transform the Bike

I understand that the tyres aren’t at the end of their life but I’d say bite the bullet and make this one time kharcha. Some tyre shops are open to considering an exchange value with your current tyres. Else Olx. You’re just missing out on an experience that I’m sure you’ll love

Trust me
Attached Thumbnails
The Duke of Direwolves - Lisbeth, my KTM Duke 200-08230d6548bf46d9bd5f7be2b65a51ce.jpeg  

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 2nd May 2019 at 15:35.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2019, 15:50   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by K a s h View Post
Nice to know. I just booked a slot for my 390 this weekend.

Do they allow us to bring our own oil/coolant? I need to change my oil to Liquimoly and my Engine Ice is also more than 2 years old.
Yes, you can bring your own oil and coolant, but if you haven't procured Liqui Moly already, do check with them - they have Liqui Moly oils available at their shop. Maybe they have Engine ICE too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Bud, with the kind of riding you do; I highly recommend converting the front end to a 19 and replace current rubber with slightly knobblier pattern. This will transform the Bike
Thank you and Trust Me - I so badly want to change the tire to Timsuns, and hopefully, I will be able to do it before the end of the year. My off road riding was reduced to almost zero due to a wrist injury and it will take some more time for me to get back to my old level of off-road rides and once I start back, this upgrade is on top of the list

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 17:59   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Apart from the regular service, changed the front and rear brake pads and chain and sprocket - they had both KTM OEM and Rolon kit in stock, and I went for Rolon.
Anoop,
Do you find much difference between KTM OEM and Rolon kit ?

I was planning to change the chain and sprocket by 20,000 odo. But Karthik confirms it is still in good shape. So, I will wait for another 1000-1500km. Last 7000km had been without any issues, after the engine rebuild in Dec 2018.
Old 1st August 2019, 18:48   #356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romins View Post
Anoop,
Do you find much difference between KTM OEM and Rolon kit ?

I was planning to change the chain and sprocket by 20,000 odo. But Karthik confirms it is still in good shape. So, I will wait for another 1000-1500km. Last 7000km had been without any issues, after the engine rebuild in Dec 2018.
I don't think there will be any difference because Rolon supplies OEM kit also. When I changed my chain and sprocket first time, the OEM kit was Rolon.

I did check the OEM kit Highlander had in stock and saw that while the chain is still made by Rolon, there was no Rolon mark on the sprocket so I decided to go ahead with Rolon kit since I trust Rolon when it comes to chain and Sprocket

But, I will tell you what really made a difference - Liqui Moly oils. The engine feels really smooth and the shifts are way less clunky. This is my second time with Liqui Moly and now I rate Liqui Moly over Shell and Motul for D200.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 14:01   #357
Senior - BHPian

Few pics from the last offroad excursion:

The Duke of Direwolves - Lisbeth, my KTM Duke 200-oi000803.jpg

The Duke of Direwolves - Lisbeth, my KTM Duke 200-oi000812.jpg

The Duke of Direwolves - Lisbeth, my KTM Duke 200-oi000818.jpg

--Anoop
Old 28th September 2019, 15:27   #358
BHPian

Quote:
It was a bit tricky due to the loose mud chunks and while climbing up, a huge chunk came loose and got wedged between my engine guard and earth, temporarily beaching me. Applied the front brake to keep the bike from sliding off but that resulted in this:
Could this be because of the handlebar risers?
Not enough slack in the hose due to a raised handlebar, resulting in extreme stretch at full lock + no load on the front forks?
I'm considering getting risers for my duke but this possibility keeps bugging me.

Last edited by ampere : 28th September 2019 at 15:50. Reason: compacted quoted post
Karthik.guru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2019, 19:17   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik.guru View Post
Could this be because of the handlebar risers?
Not enough slack in the hose due to a raised handlebar, resulting in extreme stretch at full lock + no load on the front forks?
I'm considering getting risers for my duke but this possibility keeps bugging me.
Hi Karthik,

I am not really sure - I am using the raisers for quite some time and have done much extreme off-roading than these and even after the brake hose fixed, I have done similar stuff. I don't think the liners stretch so much during full lock so that it will result in failure. if you are sitting on the fence about getting raisers, go ahead and do it - don't worry about liners getting broke.

--Anoop
Old 2nd January 2020, 15:46   #360
Senior - BHPian

I was neglecting this thread for a long time - happy to report that Lisbeth got an update some time back - I replaced the Michelins with a combo of TimSun (Front) +Ralco (Rear) dual-sport tires, courtsey fellow rider Vijay.

The Duke of Direwolves - Lisbeth, my KTM Duke 200-img_20191013_093249.jpg

The handling is much better on off the road now and I am enjoying every bit of it when I take the bike off the tarmac. On the tarmac, the breaking efficiency has reduced - I can't brake as hard as I used to do when she was on Michelins, and I can't get into turns hot like I used to do earlier. A slight dab on the rear when the speedometer is showing triple dights is enough to upset the rear, so I have to be more careful around turns. The lean angles have also come down - though I attribute this to my lack of skills than to the tires.

But (and this is a big but), I forget all these shortcomings the moment I take her off the tarmac, be it slush, dust or loose gravel. The extra grip is immensely enjoyable and thicker sidewalls + heavy tire ensures than the landings are soft (than doing the same on Michelins).

The last service was done at Highlander and they did an excellent job. The attention to detail is really excellent. This time, I switched to Putoline ESTER TECH SYNTEC 4+ from Liqui Moly - can't really say I am happy with the switch. Liqui Moly was much smoother.

My front fork seals developed a leak just before the service (I have to blame the overenthusiastic me, after the tire changes) so I got them to change during the service.

All in all, was very happy with the quality of the work and the attention to detail they show during the work.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed