Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2014, 17:30   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Duke of Direwolves - Lisbeth, my KTM Duke 200

After a brief period of not so much update, I plan to take her for her first medical tomorrow - going all the way to Auto Service and planning to stay back till the check up is over (reminds me of the days I took my wife for check up when she was pregnant )

As of now, only one issue - at times, the headlight do not come on if I start the bike with the head light switch in 'ON' position. Have seen few others describing these same symptoms, but this is not an easy one to reproduce. Will try talking to the SA to find out if there is any fix.

I know it is an overkill, but I am planning to switch to Motul 300V (if available).

Any other points to be noted during first service?

On other news, I was hoping to get her pampered at 3M, but they don't do bikes. There is another place at HSR (TorqueX or something similar) and they offer a treatment with the MUCK-OFF products and the package is priced at 900 INR. Still not decided to go with them or go to the big daddy of detailing (UD), if they do bikes.

--Anoop
Old 3rd July 2014, 17:59   #32
Senior - BHPian

First Service update

After three weeks, it was time for the first medical check up - called up AutoService and took an appointment for Wednesday morning. It was my first time at AutoService, but thanks to Google maps, it was easy to find the place.

There was not much rush and the SA took a TD and noticed all the details and entered them in an Android app along with few photos of the bike from different angles and a photo of me and gave a printed invoice indicating how much the service will cost. The bike was taken for a wash and then they started working on the bike straight away. I liked the fact that the work bays are clean and there are lot of space between bikes - no bumping to other bikes when working on your bike. There where so many other bikes - Ninjas, other KTMs and Pulsars, so I was like a kid in candy shop - I was happy roaming around and ogling at all the beauties while waiting for my bike to be delivered. (OT: By the time the work got finished, a Triumph Thruxton and a Yamaha FZ1 came for 3M film application - more eye candy )

The work done was very professional and top notch - no rushing the job and they almost expect you to stand next to them and ask questions and they are happy to answer as much as you want. A sea changes from other two - wheeler service centres I have come across till now. No wonder Auto Service remains the first choice of so many.

I opted for Motul 300V and the bottle was shown to me before they poured the oil. The chain was cleaned and lubed, breaks cleaned and all the general check up done and the bike was delivered back before the promised time. They even did a round of wax polish and applied some stuff (forgot the name though Venkat sir did tell me about what is being used). The total bill came to 1940, incl of all tax.

Post service, the gear shifts have become smoother and generally the bike feel a lot smoother and eager to pull (May be my perception) but sadly next two weeks I will be travelling, so have to wait till I come back to take her for a good ride.

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 3rd July 2014 at 18:01.
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2014, 08:22   #33
BHPian

Hi Anoop,

Can you please let me which place is "Auto Service", is it a KTM service center or an independent one? I am looking for options for servicing my KTM, hence the question.

Thanks
Surajit
Old 4th July 2014, 14:54   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surajit333 View Post
Hi Anoop,

Can you please let me which place is "Auto Service", is it a KTM service center or an independent one? I am looking for options for servicing my KTM, hence the question.

Thanks
Surajit
Auto Service is exclusive probiking only service centre and is run by Mr. Venkat Shyam.

The details:
Auto Service
#37, 28th Cross,
Industrial Area,
Banashankari -2 stg,
Bangalore -560 070
Tel: 080 2671 1132/ 2774
Help line: +91 9243 11 2244

Working days & hours:

Closed only on : All Fridays, Festival, Public & National holidays
Work Hours : 8.00 am to 7.00 pm
Lunch Break: 1.00pm to 2.00 pm

(taken from: http://auto-service.blogspot.in/2007/05/locate-us.html)

The google map link : https://www.google.co.in/maps/place/...0df798d68313f5

--Anoop
Old 4th July 2014, 15:02   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

The only grouse i have on Auto Service is their exorbitant labor charges for small works. Its priced ridiculously high. Changing the rear wheel bearing - hardly 10 mins job- was billed Rs.300 as labor. Free service and routine service will not high. But when it comes to part replacement out of free service , it is more! When it happens ,i feel i am getting a car serviced and not a bike!

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 4th July 2014 at 15:07.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2014, 14:18   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
The only grouse i have on Auto Service is their exorbitant labor charges for small works. Its priced ridiculously high. Changing the rear wheel bearing - hardly 10 mins job- was billed Rs.300 as labor. Free service and routine service will not high. But when it comes to part replacement out of free service , it is more! When it happens ,i feel i am getting a car serviced and not a bike!
Oh - this is something of a concern, and will keep this in mind once the bike is out of warranty.

I was travelling for last 10 days but the bike fired up at the first attempt after a gap of staying cold for 10 days. The only issue is - my clock have lost few hours. The trip meters (both 1st and 2nd) and the odo have no issues with the display, but oddly the clock is running almost 10 hours or so behind the current time.

Not that this as such worries me, but what I don't know is if this is a symptom of something else? So, is it normal or something to be taken care of?

PS: How many days it takes to get the RC book from RTO (in Bangalore)? I brought my bike in June 1st week and is yet to get the RC.

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 14th July 2014 at 14:23.
Old 15th July 2014, 07:27   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
How many days it takes to get the RC book from RTO (in Bangalore)? I brought my bike in June 1st week and is yet to get the RC.
It takes anywhere between 45 to 60 days to get the smart card via post in Bangalore. I got mine close the 50 days mark.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 20:12   #38
Senior - BHPian

Almost 3 weeks and not much to update - Lisbeth continues to bring a smile to my face every day, though the running is not as much as I had anticipated due to car \ bike pooling with a colleague. 80% of my rides are with a pillion and she does not loses steam even if I push her hard.

On the Kitna deti hein front, I get around 31KMPL consistently (measured over four successive tank ups), which is almost 80% of what I used to get earlier from my Unicorn. 80% of these rides are with a pillion (and we weigh almost 160-170kg combined).

And oh, I got the RC book few days back.

PS: After I started riding Lisbeth, I feels like my car is very slow

--Anoop
Old 25th August 2014, 23:54   #39
BHPian

Hey there theexperthand,

As updated in a different thread, I've booked a Black Duke 200 and will be taking the delivery tomorrow. Would love to have some pointers from you as to what all stuff I need to be checking on, while doing a PDI. I'm looking at more of Duke-specific pointers.
Old 26th August 2014, 02:36   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWikram View Post
I'm looking at more of Duke-specific pointers.
Congrats on the Duke purchase.
Ensure the coolant level is at the optimum. Anywhere between max & min mark should be good. Ensure all electrical equipment is working fine. Check to make sure there are no lose wires hanging around. One bhpian had a bad start after delivery since one of the cables was not connected and his bike stalled in middle of the road right after delivery (D390). The spare keys will be below the seat. Ensure you remove it and keep it with you. Check to make sure the tool kit is beneath the rear seat. Apart from this most of the stuff will be taken care of by the PDI by the company folks.

Did you TD the duke and find the seating comfortable?
abhinav.s is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 11:16   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
The spare keys will be below the seat. Ensure you remove it and keep it with you. Check to make sure the tool kit is beneath the rear seat.
Please do check this! In my excitement of taking the bike at a good "muhurat time" insisted by mom, I forgot to check the tool kit neither did I get any documents from showroom as the registration was not complete and to my horror after getting the manual couple of days later, only then I realized where the tool kit is supposed to be and it was missing !

The showroom guys were puzzled as how it can go missing and assured they will provide one as soon as they receive it!
Old 29th August 2014, 12:10   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Ensure the coolant level is at the optimum.

Thanks Abhinav for those tips. Yes, I've test ridden the Duke and was at home with the seating position. Its nimble and light, can't wait to get my hands on something I'd call my own now. Sadly due to unavailability of stock, especially the Black, the delivery has been postponed to next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafioso View Post
The showroom guys were puzzled as how it can go missing and assured they will provide one as soon as they receive it!
Thanks Mafioso, will surely keep these things in mind while taking the delivery.

- Since the showroom guys have quoted an insurance price of more than 4k, I was contemplating on getting the insurance done online, which they had no issues with. How do I go about getting this done? Do I first take the delivery and then get the insurance done or can I purchase it online and while taking the delivery can show them the insurance papers? Is insurance dependent on getting the temp registration or the permanent registration too? I need to know coz the guy at the showroom has promised me a free registration of my Duke from his side, so don't wana miss that.
Old 6th October 2014, 13:16   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWikram View Post
Hey there theexperthand,

As updated in a different thread, I've booked a Black Duke 200 and will be taking the delivery tomorrow. Would love to have some pointers from you as to what all stuff I need to be checking on, while doing a PDI. I'm looking at more of Duke-specific pointers.
Sorry Bro - was not checking this thread for some time. Hope the delivery went well and you are enjoying your Duke.

Quote:
Thank you for the pointers, Abhinav.

Quote:
Please do check this! In my excitement of taking the bike at a good "muhurat time" insisted by mom, I forgot to check the tool kit neither did I get any documents from showroom as the registration was not complete and to my horror after getting the manual couple of days later, only then I realized where the tool kit is supposed to be and it was missing !
Wow, how can they miss the tool kit? Hope you got the tool kit from the show room guys by now.

The bike is silently munching miles and other than the two issues I have pointed out early (digital clock losing time and headlight not coming up at times), have not had any other issues.

I am having a hate-love relationship with the stock tyres - they are good in tarmac but they are next to no good in slush and mud - but on the other side, it is scarily easy to get the tail slide out on slushy terrain.

Addressed another chink in the duke's armor last week - fixed a pair of Roots Windtone horns. I fixed the horns on the Allen screws which hold the crash guard, connected both the roots horns in series and connected the original horn wiring to one horn. I did not put a relay since I do not use horn much - there are days when I did not even touch the horn switch, so I think the load will not be much on the bike's horn switch.

Few snaps of the horn placement:

The Duke of Direwolves - Lisbeth, my KTM Duke 200-img_20141002_102943473.jpg

The Duke of Direwolves - Lisbeth, my KTM Duke 200-img_20141002_103127626.jpg

The Duke of Direwolves - Lisbeth, my KTM Duke 200-img_20141002_102932734.jpg

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 6th October 2014 at 13:21.
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2014, 14:21   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post

Wow, how can they miss the tool kit? Hope you got the tool kit from the show room guys by now.
Yes, they gave me the tool kit in couple of weeks, didn't seem a longer wait as I expected.

Got the first service done yesterday with ODO at 1002 KM and 50 days from purchase, but not a good feeling at all. Last week, since the mechanics were not there in the service centre till 10 am , they did not accept the vehicle , can't understand such lacklustre behaviour from KTM service centre folks. Yesterday when I left the bike for service, the mechanic was totally disinterested in understanding what I said or in explaining anything. Shocking was they charge Rs 150 for consumables which the mechanic explained as the paper used for the job card, the printer charges for printing the bill and the waste used to clean bike etc! I was quite surprised with these answers from him. Never mind , I don't plan to leave in the Banaswadi service centre any more after this experience. Polishing was not done as the guy who washes the bikes was on leave!

O-Ring, Oil Filter , Chain Maintenance Labour, Chain Lube Oil, Motul 20W50 Oil were the things charged for 2007 Rs first service (more than my first service costs of Swift Diesel)

Expert - One more query. As suggested by you I bought the knuckle guards and the Apache end weights and fixed it, which was quite a challenge doing it by myself with the help of a friend. However the rubber bush which slides inside the handle bar became loose and no matter how much we tighten the screw, the bolt kept revolving inside, and the guards started coming out at the ends. The accelerator side was a big problem as tightening it further, made the throttle get stuck at a place than returning to its normal position.

After taking it to a known mechanic, he suggested using FZ end weights(costed 54 Rs for a pair) which are made of plastic and is currently solving the problem! Are you facing any such problems?

Few pics of the bike (Apologies for copying your idea of T-BHP stickers on the knuckle guard) But Bike does look majestic with these guards and stickers!
Attached Thumbnails
The Duke of Direwolves - Lisbeth, my KTM Duke 200-20140920_154121.jpg  

The Duke of Direwolves - Lisbeth, my KTM Duke 200-20140920_154142.jpg  

Mafioso is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2014, 15:35   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, they gave me the tool kit in couple of weeks, didn't seem a longer wait as I expected.

Got the first service done yesterday with ODO at 1002 KM and 50 days from purchase, but not a good feeling at all.

O-Ring, Oil Filter , Chain Maintenance Labour, Chain Lube Oil, Motul 20W50 Oil were the things charged for 2007 Rs first service (more than my first service costs of Swift Diesel)

Expert - One more query.

Few pics of the bike (Apologies for copying your idea of T-BHP stickers on the knuckle guard) But Bike does look majestic with these guards and stickers!
Hi Mafioso:

Good that you got the tool kit - I wish we had a bit more storage space under the seat for a custom tool kit.

Charging 150 rs for printer paper and ink

For service, I would suggest you try out Auto Service, Banashankari. I had a very good experience with them. Plus, I always give my car or bike for service on a working day, even if I have to take a leave. It usually helps a lot since the rush will be usually less on working days.

Touch-wood, I am not facing any issues with the Apache end weights and rubbers - but then, I did not fix it by myself, but got it done in showroom itself, before I took the delivery. They are holding good and have no issues, as of now.

The URL placement sure looks good

Did you buy chain lube from the service center? If not, buy and lube your chain at 500 km intervals. My OKS got over, now planning to pick up Tribocor TC 40 (was out of stock at Marathalli KTM today - they told fresh stocks are expected by tuesday).

--Anoop

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks