Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2014, 12:52   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Duke of Direwolves - Lisbeth, my KTM Duke 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Thanks a lot Anoop. That helps. I wonder how pisthepeeps got a direct fit one.

@pisthepeeps - Can you confirm which exact model's mirror you bought? And you did'nt have to do any grinding or any other adjustments like Anoop did?
@pisthepeeps - can you also confirm how you slid the rubber sleeve off the Duke mirror stalk and on to the Apache mirror stalk? Did you have to remove the lower adjustment check-nuts? Or did you simply force it over the check-nut? Are the stalks the same lengths (and hence the rubber sleeve fits exactly, without kinks)?
Old 25th November 2014, 13:56   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
@pisthepeeps - can you also confirm how you slid the rubber sleeve off the Duke mirror stalk and on to the Apache mirror stalk? Did you have to remove the lower adjustment check-nuts? Or did you simply force it over the check-nut? Are the stalks the same lengths (and hence the rubber sleeve fits exactly, without kinks)?
Doc, I can answer the first part - you can slide off the rubber sleeve on Duke mirror stalk by removing the lower adjusting check nuts - I removed the sleeves fully and then re inserted them once I fixed the Apache mirror to the Duke mirror stem.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 14:34   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
But it seems like pisthepeeps have got exact fitting Apache mirrors.
--Anoop
Quote:
This is very confusing. Are there two types of Apache mirrors? 160 and 180?
Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
@pisthepeeps - Can you confirm which exact model's mirror you bought? And you did'nt have to do any grinding or any other adjustments like Anoop did?
Guys, Sorry for the confusion. I replaced the duke mirror + stem with Apache mirror + stem. Apache stem fits in the Duke handlebar perfectly. Assume Anoop has replaced the mirrors and retained the Duke stem and hence some adjustment was needed. I do not remember if the Apache set has rubber sleeves. Will post some pics tomorrow. Apache set cost Rs.360 for me. The TVS guy confirmed that within Apache range the mirrors are same and no change.
pisthpeeps is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 14:40   #109
BHPian

Quote:
@basuroy: Coming from a bullet, I don't think your issue will be using less force. Does this happen while crawling in traffic, or when you are trying to pick up speed on an open stretch?

PS: An interesting anecdote: When I used to ride Unicorn, I used to do comfortable 60 ~80 on certain stretches. When i switched my ride to the Desert Storm, the speeds went to 70~90, and an occasional 100. In Duke, I do 90~110 and restrict myself from crossing 110, without breaking a sweat. (Disclaimer: This is NOT inside city and NOT during my regular office commute. All triple digit speeds are done when there is NO traffic and with excellent visibility)

--Anoop

Yeah this 1st to neutral instead of 2nd has left me baffled to be honest , it goes to 2nd fine if I as is the case now consciously focus on the shift by applying more than necessary pressure but I had got into a rhythm with the bike and barely faced this in the initial 400-500 kilometer , it is in the last 200-300kilometer it has become more pronounced and what is weird is the frequency is increasing now(and shifting which previously was a subconscious action has become a conscious one now). Think something is out of tune - both my legs and the gearbox

It mostly happens when I don't intend to accelerate like say I have to make a near 180deg turn which I do in first gear and then when I try to slot in 2nd , bang neutral . Or while navigating past the security barricades often in 1st gear and once past i try to hit 2nd but get neutral . To answer your question vaguely , it happens during normal riding . I doubt I have faced this when I am going to accelerate hard .

ps: my average speed gone up a lot as well , in my case the jump has been massive , a worn out 350cc '86 bullet to a 375cc monster . Both acceleration and braking prowess allows higher speeds .
basuroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 15:15   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisthpeeps View Post
Guys, Sorry for the confusion. I replaced the duke mirror + stem with Apache mirror + stem. Apache stem fits in the Duke handlebar perfectly. Assume Anoop has replaced the mirrors and retained the Duke stem and hence some adjustment was needed. I do not remember if the Apache set has rubber sleeves. Will post some pics tomorrow. Apache set cost Rs.360 for me. The TVS guy confirmed that within Apache range the mirrors are same and no change.
Ok - it is good to hear that the mirror was a plug and play fix.

Doc and MOS: I forgot to add one thing - I did not buy the mirror from TVS showroom, but brought it from a spare parts shop - it was Fiem branded mirrors. May be the one I got had some issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
Yeah this 1st to neutral instead of 2nd has left me baffled to be honest , it goes to 2nd fine if I as is the case now consciously focus on the shift by applying more than necessary pressure

a worn out 350cc '86 bullet to a 375cc monster . Both acceleration and braking prowess allows higher speeds .
Just a guess - can you try blipping the throttle when you shift next time? Not sure it will help, but worth a try.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 15:21   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
barely faced this in the initial 400-500 kilometer , it is in the last 200-300kilometer it has become more pronounced and what is weird is the frequency is increasing now
IIRC, the clutch play needs adjustment every 500-800kms during the initial days as per the report from Doc's friend Ashok. After he covered around 5k kms with his D390, the clutch and chain play did not need as frequent an adjustment as when the bike was new. Maybe you need to get the clutch play adjusted at the SVC. This is the case with my D200 too. Now approaching 4.3k the adjustment interval is like close to 1200-1300kms once while before it was around 600-750kms mark.

BTW are you done with your first service??
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 15:42   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Just a guess - can you try blipping the throttle when you shift next time? Not sure it will help, but worth a try.

--Anoop
Worth a try for sure and will do that .

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
IIRC, the clutch play needs adjustment every 500-800kms during the initial days as per the report from Doc's friend Ashok. After he covered around 5k kms with his D390, the clutch and chain play did not need as frequent an adjustment as when the bike was new. Maybe you need to get the clutch play adjusted at the SVC. This is the case with my D200 too. Now approaching 4.3k the adjustment interval is like close to 1200-1300kms once while before it was around 600-750kms mark.

BTW are you done with your first service??
First service will be done this thursday or friday , I have covered 900+km and nearing my 45 days limit . You have a good point with clutch play , lately I have been practicing feet up u-turns and facing some difficulty nailing that sweet spot while slipping the clutch. Also chain hasn't been adjusted yet and as per manual observation , it is definitely slack . I intend to get a hands on experience during the service to attend to tidbits like this in future on my own .
Old 25th November 2014, 15:45   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
First service will be done this thursday or friday , I have covered 900+km and nearing my 45 days limit . You have a good point with clutch play , lately I have been practicing feet up u-turns and facing some difficulty nailing that sweet spot while slipping the clutch. Also chain hasn't been adjusted yet and as per manual observation , it is definitely slack . I intend to get a hands on experience during the service to attend to tidbits like this in future on my own .
Chain - not adjusted.

Clutch - not adjusted.

Throttle - not adjusted.

Either one of these makes a huge difference to how the bike moves and shifts.

All 3 together - you have a crappy running and shifting bike.
Old 25th November 2014, 15:55   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Chain - not adjusted.

Clutch - not adjusted.

Throttle - not adjusted.

Either one of these makes a huge difference to how the bike moves and shifts.

All 3 together - you have a crappy running and shifting bike.
Throttle is fine , about 500km into ownership when I went to collect the registration paper , got the free play adjusted . Clutch and chain are suspects however , chain I knew of but clutch I didn't know requires such frequent adjustment though I suspected something was off the mark .
Old 25th November 2014, 15:58   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Throttle is fine , about 500km into ownership when I went to collect the registration paper , got the free play adjusted . Clutch and chain are suspects however , chain I knew of but clutch I didn't know requires such frequent adjustment though I suspected something was off the mark .
The 390 is known to have crappy throttle play setting from the factory. Don't know why only the 390.

Chain - should be obvious.

Clutch - again is a feel thing. Having ridden a Bullet, you would know how to recognise a poorly adjusted clutch. Same theory applies on the Duke.
Old 25th November 2014, 16:06   #116
BHPian

Quote:
The 390 is known to have crappy throttle play setting from the factory. Don't know why only the 390.

Chain - should be obvious.

Clutch - again is a feel thing. Having ridden a Bullet, you would know how to recognise a poorly adjusted clutch. Same theory applies on the Duke.
Exactly why I suspected my clutch was off when trying to practice the u turns , I rarely feel the need to slip clutch(only during turns if the need arises ) as I avoid snail paced traffics so it was during the turn practice that I first experienced difficulty nailing the sweet slip spot .
Old 25th November 2014, 16:31   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Doc and MOS: I forgot to add one thing - I did not buy the mirror from TVS showroom, but brought it from a spare parts shop - it was Fiem branded mirrors. May be the one I got had some issues? --Anoop
So you wanted to retain the Duke stem and hence got the Apache mirrors without stem? That justifies the cost difference of yours Rs.250 against mine Rs.360. I got mine from TVS store and it came as full set - mirror+stem.

After replacement my mirrors now slightly extend outside the Duke handlebars. Rear view has definitely improved.
Old 25th November 2014, 16:33   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After replacement my mirrors now slightly extend outside the Duke handlebars. Rear view has definitely improved.
That's actually not very nice. Hmmmm .....
Old 25th November 2014, 16:42   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmm.. I guess I could live with that. But did you put the rubber sleeve over the TVS stem? Is it fitting nice without any kinks as Doc asked?
Old 25th November 2014, 17:00   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So you wanted to retain the Duke stem and hence got the Apache mirrors without stem? That justifies the cost difference of yours Rs.250 against mine Rs.360. I got mine from TVS store and it came as full set - mirror+stem.

Nope - My idea was to replace the Duke stem+Mirror with apache Stem+Mirror and I got the same from a general spare parts store.

The mirror was not OEM, but made for Apache by Fiem. I think the particular piece I got might have some issues, which resulted in the mirror not fitting on Duke's handlebar.

Since I had brought the mirror already, I removed both the mirrors from their respective stems to see if I can transplant the Apache mirror to Duke's stem and with a little bit of shaving off (apache's mirror base), I could do it. After this, I slipped the duke's rubber tube back. Since my stem is orginally of Duke's, there was no issues.

The rear view coverage have improved much.

@psithepeeps: If the mirror is extending beyond the handlebars, get the knuckle guard from 390 and fix it using Apache en d weights - this will extend the handles bars about an inch on both sides and probably your mirror will align with the end weights

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks