BHPian

Re: Our Matt Black Vespa S 125: Pricey, but exclusive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Is the service interval only 3 months?
What about maintainence costs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
I am one prospective buyer of this beauty. Jealous on you dude.
By the way, apart from being criticized for its insane price, is there any other nibbles with the bike. Be it on the ASS front or quality of products used or running.
Yes, the service interval is 3 months.
1st Service: Labour Free, Oil Changed. Billed Rs.200/-
2nd Service: Labour Paid, No Oil Change. Billed Rs.400/-

The pricing felt insane initially, but after owning it for about 3 months, I can say it deserves this price. There has been no niggles till date, the scooter has done about 500kms. It runs super smooth & gives you super exclusivity.
ScorpMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2014, 17:06   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Is the service interval only 3 months?
What about maintainence costs?
I was told that the first service is at 1 month or 180kms whichever comes earlier. after that its all 3 months

Quote:
By the way, apart from being criticized for its insane price, is there any other nibbles with the bike. Be it on the ASS front or quality of products used or running.
I was also thinking that its "insanely high pricing" initially. After looking at the Activa 125 which is priced around 76 OTR bangalore, I'm felling ok, I removed the word "insanely"

I have not even done a service so I exactly don't know the costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpMan View Post
Yes, the service interval is 3 months.
1st Service: Labour Free, Oil Changed. Billed Rs.200/-
2nd Service: Labour Paid, No Oil Change. Billed Rs.400/-
Thanks ScorpMan for the costs. I just hope its not very much different here in Bangalore.

One incident I would like to quote here...
While we were in the showroom to collect the vehicle, one guy came inside and was headed to the cashier for paying his service bill. He stopped by and told the manager of the showroom that he was very happy with the service.
A customer stopping to say that he was happy speaks a lot. Hope everyone has the same experience.
Old 4th July 2014, 17:17   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
I was told that the first service is at 1 month or 180kms whichever comes earlier. after that its all 3 months
Yes, 1st service is after 1 month or 1000 kms whichever comes earlier, after that its 3months/3000 kms gap.

I dont think mine will see 3000kms in a year. Service is quite good, when compared to Honda/Hero/Tvs & the primary reason for that seems is far lesser number of Vespa's on the road. On both services, I didn't see more than 7-10 Vespas coming in for service. And both the times it didn't take more than 1.5-2 hours.
Old 4th July 2014, 19:30   #49
BHPian

Quote:
The pricing felt insane initially, but after owning it for about 3 months, I can say it deserves this price. There has been no niggles till date, the scooter has done about 500kms. It runs super smooth & gives you super exclusivity.
Thanks for the update.
Quote:
I was also thinking that its "insanely high pricing" initially. After looking at the Activa 125 which is priced around 76 OTR bangalore, I'm felling ok, I removed the word "insanely"
Yes very true. I am now convinced to get this and can justify my decision to my better half. Tomorrow is my visit to them, hope we are getting mightily impressed.
Old 5th July 2014, 13:35   #50
BHPian

Quote:
A customer stopping to say that he was happy speaks a lot. Hope everyone has the same experience.
Did you opt for the Vespa RSA ?
And why did you pay handling charges for a 2 wheeler. AFAIK it is charged only for 4 wheelers. I wasnt charged anything like that. Please check.

Quote:
Tomorrow is my visit to them, hope we are getting mightily impressed.
Do check for this handling charge scam if you go ahead with your decision.
ScorpMan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 09:50   #51
BHPian

Quote:

The reaction of relatives and colleagues whom I told about my vehicle
  • "You are crazy"
  • "It was unnecessary"
  • "You are now a father, be responsible"
  • "1Lakh on a scooter! you could easily buy your wife a used santro/alto/800"
  • "Your company pays you really high-tell me if there are any openings for me"
  • "If you have so much money, give it to me"
This prompts me to share with you a rather strange 'ordeal' that I am going through.

Ever since I saw pictures of Vespa in an auto mag (ACI I think) in their coverage of Auto Expo a couple of years back, I have been wanting to possess one.

I have been resisting the temptation due to two reasons –

a) Didn't want to spend so much for something that I will use only for leisurely rides within a couple of km radius around my home.
b) I already have an old Kinetic Nova, so no reasons to buy a new two wheeler (according to my wife, at least)

But, you all know that we gentlemen when smitten by something as beautiful as the Vespa, cannot get the thought out of our minds easily. So every now and then I bring up this topic with my wife, and she immediately squishes it mercilessly. For whatever reason, she cannot understand why I want to buy an overpriced scooter when I have another one, though pretty old, works perfectly (and to add to that, I use my kinetic only rarely – once in 3months or so)

But there was a surprising luck that came my way recently. My wife’s close relative got a job in the city and she is in need for a scooter to commute to her work. I became the ‘knight in shining armour’ and declared that I am donating my Kinetic to her, she just have to pay the overdue insurance. My wife was in agreement with it, she failed to see my sinister plans.

Now that the old kiny has been disposed of, I brought up the topic of Vespa once again. And she laughed it off once again. But then I called upon all my managerial trainings and negotiation skills and started a ‘now or never’ negotiation. I even tried to convince my seven year old son to come over to my side, bribing him that I will drop him off at school for his weekend hobby classes on a shiny new Vespa!

Finally when my wife realized I might just go and buy it regardless, she offered a ‘Deal’. I have to work out for a minimum of 30mins a day at my home gym equipment for 21 days – without a single day’s break in between, and at the end of 21 days, I am free to buy whatever I want.

Knowing how lazy I am, she is convinced that I will not go beyond 1 or 2 days with my work out. She has instructed our son to keep a close tab on my work out – continuity, timing etc. and report to her frequently.
But she has grossly under-estimated my determination! I started on July 3rd. To her surprise, I am going strong on the 4th day today. So if I continue without break till 23rd July, I am going to buy a ROSSO DRAGON Vespa VX and matching helmet!

I will keep you posted as I progress. Wish me luck, comrades!
GS300 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 12:19   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Did you opt for the Vespa RSA ?
And why did you pay handling charges for a 2 wheeler. AFAIK it is charged only for 4 wheelers. I wasnt charged anything like that. Please check.
I have opted for the Extended warranty. However I have not got the copy for that. They have told that they'll give it to me during the first service. It is due this weekend when the vehicle completes 1 month

I will Check the handling charges thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS300 View Post
...I will keep you posted as I progress. Wish me luck, comrades!

17more days to go...All the very best GS300.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 12:29   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS300 View Post
I have been resisting the temptation due to two reasons –
a) Didn't want to spend so much for something that I will use only for leisurely rides within a couple of km radius around my home.
Even I had exactly the same requirements. A leisurely ride around home 3-4 times a week, and though have a HH Cbz 2000 model for that, I couldn't resist the temptation too.

All the best for your mission.
ScorpMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 14:39   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Do check for this handling charge scam if you go ahead with your decision.
I am one unhappy customer after visiting the showroom and test driving.
Why? As below,
Visited the showroom and was greeted with all shiny candy color vespa. The SA was humble enough to explain all the features (that many?) between all 3models.
After going through all the models, wifey and me rejected the top model citing its rectangular headlight. Unfortunately black/matte was available in this model alone.
The difference in price between starting and mid model was meager. So opted for the mid one.
Time for the test drive. The vehicle was given immediately and to start off, wife rode it. Her feedback is neutral.
When time came for me to switch to the driver position, checked its acceleration, panic braking, rear and front braking.
Here is what I felt,
Acceleration - Null pick up. When throttled harder, can hear the sweet roar of the engine, but no sign of the vespa going faster.
Panic brake - The disc brakes comes in handy. But not much confidence felt.
Rear brake - Ok

We have rode the Activa and the one thing which we liked in it is the pick up. Which was a dampener in Vespa. Not sure if it is due to the test drive vehicle, but didn't feel the engine is 125cc

Mind says Activa, but heart says Vespa.

There is absolutely no waiting period but just for 2 hours to ride this beauty home.

Last edited by dre@ms : 8th July 2014 at 14:41.
Old 8th July 2014, 14:59   #55
BHPian

Quote:
After going through all the models, wifey and me rejected the top model citing its rectangular headlight. Unfortunately black/matte was available in this model alone.
There is a new model available now, Vespa VX Exclusivio which is available in Matt Black with some sporty decals & 3-4K more. This is a limited edition of 1000 pcs being sold now - ask your SA about it if interested.

I have booked this one today, I preferred this one over Vespa S because of the front boot & I dont mind the rounded looks, but wanted Matt Black.

Regarding the pick-up, I too felt this when I rode a Vespa VX with very less mileage on it, but then I rode one with about 3K kms and that felt open & had good pick-up.
Old 8th July 2014, 15:34   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Not sure if it is due to the test drive vehicle, but didn't feel the engine is 125cc
This is surely a case of badly tuned test drive vehicle. Vespa surely is amongst the best performing scooters, rode mine yesterday for about 10-12kms on open roads, and it hardly takes any time reaching 60-70. You could have asked the SA to arrange another test drive Vespa for you.

And, if it comes to the mind & heart game, its upto you which way you want to go. Activa will never be able to pull your heart string the way a Vespa does.
Old 8th July 2014, 16:02   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Regarding the pick-up, I too felt this when I rode a Vespa VX with very less mileage on it, but then I rode one with about 3K kms and that felt open & had good pick-up.
Quote:
This is surely a case of badly tuned test drive vehicle. Vespa surely is amongst the best performing scooters, rode mine yesterday for about 10-12kms on open roads, and it hardly takes any time reaching 60-70. You could have asked the SA to arrange another test drive Vespa for you.

And, if it comes to the mind & heart game, its upto you which way you want to go. Activa will never be able to pull your heart string the way a Vespa does.
May be you guys are right. I do not remember what was the ODO reading of the test drive Vespa and seriously not sure whether Vespa required break in. Mind and heart game is now prevalent to my wife too. Hope heart wins
Old 8th July 2014, 16:51   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Mind and heart game is now prevalent to my wife too. Hope heart wins
What you also need to be cognizant about is that the real world f.e is not more than 35kmpl

You buy a vespa more so for its exclusivity (beautiful looking scooter which stands out from the crowd and is technically competent )

So buy it if you want to keep it long term (really long)and for the aura of nostalgia it carries

Activa will give you good resale , Vespa Won't

Good Luck
Old 9th July 2014, 13:17   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
What you also need to be cognizant about is that the real world f.e is not more than 35kmpl
Not true. It entirely depends on the traffic conditions & your usage pattern. Mine has returned 30-32kmpl on 2 tankfulls till now, whereas my friend's returns anywhere between 45-50kmpl.
Old 19th July 2014, 10:16   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post

Good Luck
I get a healthy 52kmpl in my LX and, that's with ripping it off in the highways.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks