Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2014, 19:20   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 (aka Urban Cruiser

Congratulations Avinash! So now your Garage has 2 masculine machines - The SX4 and the Thunderbird.

Loved the Matte finish and the choice of color for your ride. It looks majestic and classy! Wishing you all those memorable rides on your beast.

But do come with your SX4 when we meet up for the DIY unless you have plans for some DIYs for the TB as well.
Old 9th July 2014, 19:28   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 (aka Urban Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Minimum requirement of riding gears is a good riding jacket, gloves and boots. I see you have already purchased the boots. Go for remaining stuff.
Thank you Santosh saar! I got boots from RE - short ankle and Armstrong Work boots, long ankles. Total 8K INR, but money well spent Have pro-biker gloves but looking for something better. And I need the riding jacket that has some reflective stuff on it too. And should have few placeholders for phone and wallet at the minimum. Please suggest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
So now your Garage has 2 masculine machines - The SX4 and the Thunderbird.
But do come with your SX4 when we meet up for the DIY unless you have plans for some DIYs for the TB as well.
Thanks Paragbhai! And there is a Scooty to watch on both of the machines

Yes, we would need a DIY on thunderbird for phone charging points with a proper holder. Hunting for the right options for the same. And when you get some free time, we will do some more DIYs on the SX4 too.
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 19:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Thank you Santosh saar! I got boots from RE - short ankle and Armstrong Work boots, long ankles. Total 8K INR, but money well spent Have pro-biker gloves but looking for something better. And I need the riding jacket that has some reflective stuff on it too. And should have few placeholders for phone and wallet at the minimum. Please suggest.

Thanks Paragbhai! And there is a Scooty to watch on both of the machines

Yes, we would need a DIY on thunderbird for phone charging points with a proper holder. Hunting for the right options for the same. And when you get some free time, we will do some more DIYs on the SX4 too.
For riding jacket with reflectors check Cramster, they have specific model which is a combination of leather and textile.
http://www.cramster.in/Products/Cram...d-1333203.aspx

For phone holder on your TB, check this
https://www.facebook.com/RidingDNA/p...type=1&theater

For Phone charging point, buy a waterproof one. If somebody is coming from US, then try to get this.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0088BX0IM/..._M3T1_ST1_dp_2
rk_sans is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 03:22   #19

Congratulations on your new Bike!!!

This being my first post I hope I am forgiven for any mistakes. Whenever I do spare time to browse the web, one of the tabs I do open is Team-BHP and love to read members views and opinions on various categories of cars and bikes.

Coming to my point, I must say after reading a lot of threads on Team-BHP from other distinguished members about TB 500 including yours, I was motivated to buy one for myself (the only other contender towards RE-TB was the KTM 390).

So after a lot of discussion with friends and my mom, I just went ahead and bought a TB 500 (Color - Flicker, which is pure black). This being from the same showroom where I got my first TB-350 in the year 2003 and being my first bike then I never faced any mechanical issue.
Today when I left the showroom I rode straight to the petrol pump which was 1/2 a KM away, I started to notice that the bike was being dragged, as if something/someone was trying to stop it and when I reached the pump there were two vehicles in front of me. So I decided to shut the engine off and when my turn comes I will push the bike manually, fill the tank and then ride home for the traditional puja. When my turn came I tried pushing the bike in neutral and it would not budge easily, which was quite weird so I started the bike and reached the pump attendant. Got the tank filled and merrily took the road home as I got my dream bike and was planning in my head the various trips that I would make on this wonderful machine (unfortunately my old TB-350 was sold off in the year 2007 while I was abroad pursuing my MBA, so haven't had a bike since).
After moving 100 meters away from the pump I stared to feel quite a bit of heat on my right leg and could smell something burning and I also noticed that the rear breaks was stuck and was unable to press or release it. This started to worry me and the bike would not move forward in an orderly and normal fashion. Luckily the showroom was on the way home and I stopped the bike there and called the sales guy and told them the issue. I also noticed smoke and burning smell coming out from the rear disc breaks due to the rear brakes being locked. Now as I got the bike in the evening those guys were closing the showroom and workshop and as the owner of the place knows me since the past 11 years he kept the bike in the showroom and said, first thing in the morning he will get this checked up and repaired as some rubber pump inside which looks like a balloon and creates vacuum has been punctured which has jammed the brakes and that has caused this problem. He was quite embarrassed about this situation and being good friends said will personally get this done and I can collect the bike by 1 or 2 pm.

My two major questions and worry (besides the members opinion) is: Firstly, due to the burning smell & disc brakes being locked for roughly about a KM, before I realized that the brakes were locked. Are the brakes damaged and does the brake pads needed be replaced or any other part that would seem fit. Secondly, as I never knew this would ever happen to me would this problem ever present itself in the near or far future. As I don't want to be stuck on the highway when I do plan to take it to the Himalayas.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion from members and congratulations on your lovely bike.

Cheers
Nitin
Nitshi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 09:06   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitshi View Post
I was motivated to buy one for myself (the only other contender towards RE-TB was the KTM 390).

So after a lot of discussion with friends and my mom, I just went ahead and bought a TB 500 (Color - Flicker, which is pure black). This being from the same showroom where I got my first TB-350 in the year 2003 and being my first bike then I never faced any mechanical issue.
My two major questions and worry (besides the members opinion) is: Firstly, due to the burning smell & disc brakes being locked for roughly about a KM, before I realised that the brakes were locked. Are the brakes damaged and does the brake pads needed be replaced or any other part that would seem fit.

Secondly, as I never knew this would ever happen to me would this problem ever present itself in the near or far future.
Thank you Nitin and congratulations for your bird. I primarily did not go for Duke since it feels more like college goers than someone senior like me And as I wrote earlier, needed the cruising posture for sure.

Coming to your experience of the bike, really sorry to hear it. In my opinion, you did a mistake - why not carry out the detailed PDI/ On Delivery checks even though you trust the showroom? A quick round on the bike for 2-3 Kms would have confirmed everything is in order or not. And Some of the checks might have revealed about wheel play/ stuck brakes etc. Now its late, but ensure that before you leave the service station, do take a test ride on your bike and confirm everything is done to your satisfaction. You were plain lucky to have that happen within a KM away from showroom.

I am not the expert but my two cents on the questions you asked -
  • Not sure about the extent of the damage but the brake pads may not be terribly worn out, some other components may be. Regardless of the situation, why don't you demand this entire repair to be undertaken under warranty by your showroom and have it fixed in a proper way - if it means replacing the parts, do it. Try to understand the problem from the service folks and their actions. If you are convinced, no worries. If not, escalate it through right channel!
  • If the repairs are done well and the bike is put back to its working new condition, there is no reason to worry about it. And as the odometer progresses, you would know if there are other issues with the bike. In first 6 months or so, you would know the reliability of your bike anyway, so don't worry for now.

Again remember, you bought the bike by paying hard earned money, You have been the loyal RE customer. Don't leave any stone unturned to ensure this episode is dealt with proper attention by showroom guys.
abirnale is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 14:04   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
For Phone charging point, buy a waterproof one. If somebody is coming from US, then try to get this.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0088BX0IM/..._M3T1_ST1_dp_2
Based on your suggestions Santosh sir, the "EKLIPES EK1-110 Chrome Cobra Ultimate Motorcycle USB Charging System" is ordered. It Should reach me by end of this month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Do come with your SX4 when we meet up for the DIY unless you have plans for some DIYs for the TB as well.
So Parag anna, lets mark any day of first week of August based on your convenience to do this DIY

Last edited by abirnale : 10th July 2014 at 14:04. Reason: formatting.
Old 10th July 2014, 14:28   #22

Hi Avinash,

Thanks a lot for your advice. I infact took along the PDI which you had attached in your thread for RE and went through each one of them, along with the mechanic. Everything seemed fine and there were no hiccups. I also got an explanation for as to why the rear brakes got jammed. Under the RHS of the bike below the kick-starter there is a box kinda structure which controls the rear braking of the bike. Now in that box there is a pump mechanism which releases pressure while applying brakes (works like a vacuum), unfortunately while applying the brakes this never got released causing the pump to remain in its compressed mode, hence locking the disc brakes.
So the mechanic replaced the entire part and drove it around for 4-5 Kms and gave his seal of approval and told me it is now working fine. I also did a 3 Km run around their locality and found it to be fine. He also checked the pads of the brakes as well as the disc and confirmed it was A-OK.
The only aspect which I wanted to confirm with you is, how is the braking for the rear if you only apply them. Cause I seem to find a lack of bite in the back brakes. But in tandem with the front they work like a charm.
Nitshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 15:36   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitshi View Post
The only aspect which I wanted to confirm with you is, how is the braking for the rear if you only apply them. Cause I seem to find a lack of bite in the back brakes. But in tandem with the front they work like a charm.
Great to hear Nitin that things are sorted out now

I don't feel lack of bite in rear wheels. At slower speeds I can easily stop bike with just rear brake but i did it only few times may be. The best practice is to use both brakes in combination with each other. Just one wheel braking would skid the bike. My rear brake pedal seems to have little play - with just 2-3 CM of movement in pressing the peddle, the vehicle can be stopped comfortably.

Please continue to use both brakes and may be change pads little sooner than recommended.

Safe and happy ride
Old 10th July 2014, 17:02   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have pro-biker gloves but looking for something better. And I need the riding jacket that has some reflective stuff on it too. And should have few placeholders for phone and wallet at the minimum. Please suggest.
First off, congratulations Avinash. Wishing you many happy and safe rides.

I'd suggest the Spartan Pegasus full leather gloves. These are short cuff and not the full gauntlet ones but are constructed well. I personally use the Phaeton gloves which is a textile-leather mix and has been serving me well for around 2 yrs now.

Do take a look at their products here (for jackets too). I'd also recommend riding pants for lower body protection along with boots (preferably without the laces as they tend to get tangled in the foot levers).
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2014, 08:02   #25
BHPian

Beautiful writeup Abirnale. Congratulations for the beautiful bird. Excellent job with the paint protection. Really brings out the beautiful colour.
I've been reading quite a few threads on TB500. I'm actually enroute to get a HD a few months down the line but until then I'm drawn to get a TB500 as well. Love the bike and it's street presence. The difference between HD Superlow and TB500 would be that I can take TB500 to rugged terrain as well whereas as with HD I'd have to be very careful with the GC.
Even though I'm strongly inclined to book this bike asap, what's holding me back are the issues with brand new bikes that scares me. One just like what Nitin mentioned above. I read quite a few on xhp recently and few of them mentioned similar stories just out of the showroom. If I ever had to face an issue like this, I know I'd curse my decision a hell lot. Read one guy's engine died out while in the middle of the road. Now that could be really dangerous. After that I stopped thinking about this bike but i keep returning back naturally to it.
I'm really wish your bikes serves you well with zero issues. Will watch this space for your updates. Hoping within to gain confidence about this beautiful machine.
Btw what's that red thing on the rims?
Avior is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2014, 21:53   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avior View Post
Beautiful writeup Abirnale. Congratulations for the beautiful bird. Excellent job with the paint protection. Really brings out the beautiful colour.
Even though I'm strongly inclined to book this bike asap, what's holding me back are the issues with brand new bikes that scares me. One just like what Nitin mentioned above.
Btw what's that red thing on the rims?
Thank you Avior for your appreciation

First thing first - I personally believe in going with heart than more of a brain thing. Once you make a decision, you find reasons to make it right. Regarding the Thunderbird or overall Royal Enfield bikes, yes, you are right up to certain extent but that should not be a concern. Like those horrible experiences, there have been many people who enjoy their bulls to the fullest. Look at Ravi Sir, or Randhawa's thread, or Mobike008's or recently posted Samarth.Bhatia's thread! They all are absolutely enjoying their bikes. Over a period of time, you create the bonding with the machine and with the kind of care we petrol-heads take, it would not be too difficult to cope with issues if any. I have at least 6 of my friends, who have bullets right from 1967, 1981, 1983, 2010, 2011 and 2012! All machines at some point of time will have some or the other issues but something like stopping in the middle of road in a dangerous situation - that would be pretty rare. But then again, if your luck runs out, there isn't much you will be able to do.

Considering the HDs, sure they are refined than enfield may be but end of the day, there are some plus and minuses for everything. The other day, I saw an Aquila Pro being towed to the service station. The Showroom is within a kilometer from my work place - close to RE brand store where I got my vehicle. RE can be easily handled by many mechanics in India than HD or any others for that matter.

To cut the long story short, go with what your heart says and if it can convince your brain - you will not regret the decision. But unlike me, if your brain triumphs over heart, go for it. You will still not regret it.

About those red things on the rim - actually I had stuck them for reflection purpose thinking if I park on highway side for any reason, the bike should be noticed even in the low light condition. But then I forgot that there is a parking light provision on the thunderbird which is made for very same reason They were looking kind of cheap thing so I removed it. It was kind of too bold on the bike and not going well with the overall relaxed look.
abirnale is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2014, 01:45   #27
BHPian

Quote:
I personally believe in going with heart than more of a brain thing

RE can be easily handled by many mechanics in India than HD or any others for that matter.

About those red things on the rim - actually I had stuck them for reflection purpose They were looking kind of cheap thing so I removed it. It was kind of too bold on the bike and not going well with the overall relaxed look.
Thanks Abirnale. Deep within I'm looking for such confidence inspiring statements. To be very honest, heart is completely set on TB500 as much as on HD Superlow. I would never compare them since they both are very special.

And yes there are many who are enjoying their rides to the fullest. Its only a matter of convincing my brain. Won't give up so soon.

Glad you removed the red tape. I didn't dare speak the truth but glad you realised it yourself.

I've already bookmarked your thread and wil watch it keey. Pls do keep updating as yours is one of the most recent TB500.
Avior is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 08:44   #28
BHPian

Congratulations for your new ride Avinash and must say you are going to enjoy every bit of it!!

Thunderbird in Stone color looks really nice and after the paint sealant treatment, sheer shine has increased more. By seeing the paint sealant done on your bike, I was wondering if it can be done on my 2 week old DesertStorm too. Let me know your inputs before I make a call.

Cheers
-Abhilash

Last edited by DragonHawk : 16th July 2014 at 09:04. Reason: Added extra space
DragonHawk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 09:25   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Abhilash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
By seeing the paint sealant done on your bike, I was wondering if it can be done on my 2 week old DesertStorm too. Let me know your inputs before I make a call.
Its still a task to protect the colour and shine as is. The other day I had kept my helmet on the tank while taking pics. And probably I scratched the surface a little bit and its immediately evident! If you use the tank bag/ or have kids sit on it for a while etc, it shall be clearly seen through the marks. The point I am trying to make is - regardless of treatment, matte black is the colour that needs a lot of care. I am in love with bike so that maintenance does not bother me yet Only time will tell if this honeymoon period lasts longer and we develop even stronger bonds!

Regarding your desert storm, definitely you can do this treatment. It will make your bike shine even more as the treatment will be done after a thorough polish. Matte couldn't be polished hence the effects aren't as great as they would be on a polished and treated surface. So my personal recommendation is to go for it

And many more happy (s)miles on your bull!
Old 16th July 2014, 11:27   #30
BHPian

Thanks for your inputs Avinash.
I completely agree with you, matte colors require lot of attention and I have experienced it within 2 days of my possession with slight paint being chipped off when a spanner fell off hitting rear swing arm. Since then I have been very cautious while dealing with hard objects near my bike.
Since we bulleteers won`t hesitate to go to any extent satisfy our souls, maintenance part doesn't really bother us .
Let me give a try, I will see if I can book a slot next week and get it done on my dessy. I will keep you updated with my experience.
DragonHawk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks