Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2014, 21:17   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 (aka Urban Cruiser

This morning I completed 465 Kms on the odometer. And the spanner symbol started flashing on the LCD console. It was time to take the bike for first service. I was not sure where I should head, but then after some discussions with existing bike owners and trusted friends, decided to go to Royal Enfield Service Station in NS Palya off Bannerghatta road near shoppers stop.

First Free Service - 500 Kms
Why - Routine Service.
When - 465Kms, July 16, 2014
What - Free Service (Engine Oil change, Oil Filter change, inspections and adjustments for brakes and cables etc as per schedule)
Where - RE Service Station (Brand Store), NS Palya Off BG Road
Spent - Rs. 978.00

The bike gobbled 2.5 litre of 15W50 API SL engine oil. The oil filter is for Rs. 93.00

I had been to their service station in the morning around 8.15am. I had told them to do only water wash without any soap or material and just air dry it. No complaints and special things need to be done. Simple enough.

Got a call around 4.30pm that vehicle is ready and so I went to pickup the bike to realise that it was not at all washed. Due to dust and a quick shower in the noon, it was looking ugly :sad. So I had to get it washed. Spoke with the service attendant and a washing boy. They helped me get it faster. Otherwise the people in the service station are very relaxed and not much worried about customer's time. Everything is slow.. just how we like to ride REs

Overall experience was good but there were number of things that could have been way better. No gate pass created, no feedback forms and literally no one cares if everything was done to your needs. In my bill they had added the misc labour of Rs. 112.36! And no one was able to explain me what it was. And if I really wanted to know, I should wait for the service manager to come and help! It wasn't worth spending this time there leaving my important work time. So took the bike and came back!

Things seems to be fine. The thump on the new engine oil is very evident. So now until the next free service (which is at 3000 Kms or 3.5 months from now) no more service station visits hopefully.

I have bought an extra clutch cable based on the recommendations by few fellow riders and got myself a Studds side box (Rs. 850.00). I fitted it myself. I will post pictures this weekend for the same. And the diamond shape crash guard doesn't seem to be woking for me - the bent in portion of the crash guard on the ends is hardly 2 inches away from brake pedal and gear shifter! Should look out for something more practical and elegant design. Thinking about a silver three pipe bent inward crash guard. Instead of buying in online from www.royalenfieldzone.com, this time I will check it practically in local stores and then buy

Oh and by the way I have a question - the user manual still tells me to use the bike with less than 3/4th of throttle opened and speed below 80-90 Kmph speed until I reach 2000 Kms on odometer. Is it really to be followed up religiously? I understand that prolonged high speeds and full throttle opening is not good but once in a while?
Old 16th July 2014, 23:50   #32
BHPian

Re: My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 (aka Urban Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
speed below 80-90 Kmph speed until I reach 2000 Kms on odometer. Is it really to be followed up religiously? I understand that prolonged high speeds and full throttle opening is not good but once in a while?
Good to know the first service is done and the thump sounds better.

The speed should be kept within 90kmph, with some variation to throttle max every one minute. This should help the new engine settle in well.

My service experience so far has been really pathetic. ASC poured in some solid waste with the petrol, during checking for faults in the fuel float valve, and this lead to injectors being clogged. Took 2 days at a different ASC to sort the mess out - this was right after the 2nd service.

And after 3rd service, again I faced an issue. The battery terminal was not properly tightened, which was leading to a loose connection, which in turn was making the entire electrical systems to randomly turn off and on. Also, the FUEL PUMP on my TB has been replaced under warranty. After 3 days of bike being at ASC.
And it's going back for the 4th day tomorrow, to get the battery charged.

Hope it gets sorted out soon :(
Old 17th July 2014, 06:34   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Samarth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth.bhatia View Post
Hope it gets sorted out soon :(
Sad to know about the state of affairs with your TB servicing. I think in first two services there should not be an issue unless there are defects in any of the components.

I know for a fact that mechanics in the RE service stations are combinations of freshers and few experienced. Unless you stress upon additional care to be taken or have an acquaintance at workshop, your bike will be in inexperienced hands. And they can create all this trouble. REs are relatively trouble free now days but the people at RE continues to mess up things one or the other way.

I am glad that in my case bike does not have any issues and its just the experience that could have been better. But end of the day, bike is all that I need to be fine for me.

On a side note, did you approach RE customer care with your experience? A follow up from them or a phone call shall get you continued attention in upcoming services as well. RE customer care is reasonably good.
Old 17th July 2014, 10:27   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 (aka Urban Cruiser) - Side box fitting

So as promised, here is the picture of the side pannier box I fitted.

My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-boxview.jpg

And pasted the TBHP URL sticker on this finally

The studs box came with all clamps and nut bolts. I bought it from Maxwell motors on JC Road. All I needed was to figure out how to fit it. I used three places to hook it up with bike body - a clamp inside the pillion rider foot rest and through extension clamp it is connected to bars stuck on hind side of box. The other clamp was fitted onto the screw below the pillion rider seat - the one that holds the rest place of seat. It is the 90 degree clamp, bolted to the bars that were stuck behind the box to hold it. Another clamp was fitted on the rear shocks bolt. A very simple DIY. Here are the pics of the same -

My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-extensiontofootrest.jpg
My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-shockers.jpg
My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-belowpseat.jpg

I had looked at leather bags as well - they look cool on first few weeks but felt these flaws -
  • They aren't easy to operate
  • They are not lockable
  • The continued use will deteriorate the hooks and
  • Bag looses its original shine and shape too after few weeks of use

Note that I had tried sitting myself on the pillion while bike was on two stands and it does not seem to be affecting the pillions comfort seating.

The box looks good except that logo and mismatch with bike matte black colour. Something like what Samarth did to his box by wrapping it up can be considered. But for now this is good to go. Maybe i should consider getting another box and fit it on other side to complete the symmetrical look!
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2014, 14:12   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Over the weekend (on Saturday, July 19th) I headed to Bidadi for breakfast. Thatte idlis there are awesome and what better way it would be to start the weekend!

This time I could ride the bike beyond 60 kmph speed limits and I loved the way it was responding to the throttle input. Took the NICE road and all the way up to Bidadi and back home. Morning 6am to 9.30am, time well spent with colleagues who also had their bulls brought to this morning breakfast drive.

It was first time that I enjoyed the bike power on the highway. The way it leaped forward for the minor inputs on throttle change was awesome. I felt powerful and stable while riding on the bike amidst the crazy Bangalore - Mysore weekend crowd

It was a great backdrop of those red and orange flowers on the nice road but before we could take good pictures, the patrolling jeep asked us to move and not park on road side. I managed to take just two snaps using phone camera. Here are they -

My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-img20140719wa0002.jpg
My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-img20140719wa0004.jpg

I again noticed that the stock tyres aren't really best fit for the bike. Every time you drive it on lane divider markers or move from shoulder to main road, I get the feeling of wobbling/ loss of control or skidding feel. The tyres do not have anything on the side that prevents this lack of grip on the curves and plain roads with minimal traction. I guess, this is just how its going to be with stock tyres. So either I should get used to it or change to what I like

EDIT:
Forgot to mention - the crash guard is now changed and its very comfortable as well as good looking on the bike. The entire trip was without any issues of my shoes touching the guard etc. Much needed change it was! And about the side box, I think I am in double mind if I need another box or the bike is good as is with just one I already have.

Thoughts?

Last edited by abirnale : 22nd July 2014 at 14:14.
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2014, 13:47   #36
BHPian

Many congratulations Mr. Abirnale(although quite delayed). You and many others like you create this buzz around RE and their products. And very rightly so because they are such. But unfortunately apart from the service woes (which comes much later), is the waiting period. And the surprising part is, right here in Tamil Nadu (where I believe these Bulls are manufactured) I have been told by a very incompetent dealership employee that I would have to wait for 10 months for a TB500. The reason he gives me are 1) "Saar, this bike is manufactured by hand and thus requires time" and 2)"Saar, RE has to supply world over and thus is short of bikes". That is fueling the fire.

So people, for humble creatures like me who so very aspire to own an RE and who cannot afford to wait for such long time periods, what do I do? Should I just resign to my fate, book and wait, and pray I would get it even by 10 months or just drop the whole idea of ever owning one? Actually I walked out of the showroom telling myself I would never buy a Bull but this thread and the many others like it have rekindled my wanting.

Cheerio
Champion is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2014, 14:43   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champion View Post
Many congratulations Mr. Abirnale(although quite delayed).
Thank you

Quote:
But unfortunately apart from the service woes (which comes much later), is the waiting period. And the surprising part is, I have been told by a very incompetent dealership employee that I would have to wait for 10 months for a TB500. The reason he gives me are 1) "Saar, this bike is manufactured by hand and thus requires time" and 2)"Saar, RE has to supply world over and thus is short of bikes".
Utter nonsense from this dealer, I say. Yes, there are troubles with service and quality of bike but not many. When it rains, it pours. But otherwise the skies are very clear! I am not defending but want to tell you that, there is no bike in RE portfolio that should take 10 months anywhere in to be delivered, period. Yes, they sell around 25K units a month when things are great but doesn't mean they need 10 months to deliver. The allotment for the bikes to dealers happens regularly and the quota depends on how much you can sell, and of course your customer base, YoY growth etc etc. To complex to explain. But All I can say is, why not go to other dealer? If not nearby, little far from place? No RE brand store in 100Km range? And if you are really determined, let me know - I will get in touch with South Area Sales Manager - they should help you without fail. Minimum you will need to wait for delivery after booking is 2 months but can't be more than 3-4 months for a bird.

Quote:
So people, for humble creatures like me who so very aspire to own an RE and who cannot afford to wait for such long time periods, what do I do?
As I said, change dealer, see other nearby options. If works, get one from Bangalore - we have maximum 2 months for a bird. Get in touch with Area Sales Manager - a simple linked in search should yield the results.

And be prepared to have those slightly bitter experiences (not too bad though) from dealers if you buy one. But I can assure that you will still love a bullet - be it thunderbird!
Old 16th August 2014, 17:38   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
.... And the surprising part is, right here in Tamil Nadu (where I believe these Bulls are manufactured) I have been told by a very incompetent dealership employee that I would have to wait for 10 months for a TB500. The reason he gives me are 1) "Saar, this bike is manufactured by hand and thus requires time" and 2)"Saar, RE has to supply world over and thus is short of bikes". That is fueling the fire.

So people, for humble creatures like me who so very aspire to own an RE and who cannot afford to wait for such long time periods, what do I do? Should I just resign to my fate, book and wait, and pray I would get it even by 10 months or just drop the whole idea of ever owning one? Actually I walked out of the showroom telling myself I would never buy a Bull but this thread and the many others like it have rekindled my wanting.

Cheerio
Surprising. Last month I was told by two separate RE showrooms in Bangalore that the waiting period for the TB500 is one month and that of the TB350 is four months. I verified this waiting period with an area sales manager of RE from one of the southern states. The reduced waiting period is due to the new plant which is contributing greatly to RE's manufacturing capacity. Please check the waiting period in another showroom.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2014, 00:41   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

As for supplying "the world over", yes, Royal Enfield is exporting motorcycles to a number of countries throughout the world.

That said, the current sales do not currently exceed a few thousand motorcycles per year to this market.
This small number when compared with the total yearly Royal Enfield production of over 200,000 motorcycles a year is insignificant and in no way causes the waiting time for a new motorcycle in India to be lengthened.

Speaking of Royal Enfields production, with the opening of their new factory, the number of Royal Enfield motorcycles being produced per year has increased dramatically and the waiting time for a new motorcycle has greatly decreased from what it was just a year ago.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2014, 01:19   #40
BHPian

Quote:
And about the side box, I think I am in double mind if I need another box or the bike is good as is with just one I already have.

Thoughts?
I feel adding another box on the left side would be good, as long as you don't have any sideways mounted lady pillions Adds to the balance, looks and usable space.

Quote:
....to wait for 10 months for a TB500...
You should get in touch with a RE company owned showroom - the standard delivery period for TB500 is one month.
EDIT: Oh. FYI, TBs are usually not exported.. should give you a good idea on the credibility of this dealer.

Sam

Last edited by samarth.bhatia : 17th August 2014 at 01:21.
samarth.bhatia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2014, 14:29   #41
BANNED

Congratulations on getting the Thumper, I know I'm late in conveying the wishes.

I am in the same dilemma of buying this bike or no. If i buy, it is going to be the TBTS 500, no alternatives also. The itch has started and started badly.

Have read yours, Ravi Sir's and Samarth's ownership reviews multiple times to sooth my senses.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 17th August 2014 at 14:33.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2014, 19:25   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you

Utter nonsense from this dealer, I say. Yes, there are troubles with service and quality of bike but not many. When it rains, it pours. But otherwise the skies are very clear! I am not defending but want to tell you that, there is no bike in RE portfolio that should take 10 months anywhere in to be delivered, period. Yes, they sell around 25K units a month when things are great but doesn't mean they need 10 months to deliver. The allotment for the bikes to dealers happens regularly and the quota depends on how much you can sell, and of course your customer base, YoY growth etc etc. To complex to explain. But All I can say is, why not go to other dealer? If not nearby, little far from place? No RE brand store in 100Km range? And if you are really determined, let me know - I will get in touch with South Area Sales Manager - they should help you without fail. Minimum you will need to wait for delivery after booking is 2 months but can't be more than 3-4 months for a bird.

As I said, change dealer, see other nearby options. If works, get one from Bangalore - we have maximum 2 months for a bird. Get in touch with Area Sales Manager - a simple linked in search should yield the results.

And be prepared to have those slightly bitter experiences (not too bad though) from dealers if you buy one. But I can assure that you will still love a bullet - be it thunderbird!
Thank you Mr. Abiranale, Mr. Neil, ArizonaJim and Mr. Samarth for your inputs. Unfortunately the place I live in doesn't even boast of a dealership, therefore I have always had to scout for nearby districts. I had initially enquired with the Trichy dealer and later with the Kumbakonam dealer. The later was more forthcoming - he has asked for 6 months. I am placed in Dubai and I have seen a few birds here and so I know they are being exported but certainly not in large numbers I suppose. The irony is I can get the bird immediately here (and with a lot of cool mods too). Let me see if I can get somebody from Chennai to find out availability. If somebody could direct me on that, I would be grateful. Perhaps there is a bull waiting for me too. I shall hold on to that string of hope and pray it doesn't break
Champion is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 14:17   #43
BHPian

Hello People! I am back with my RE woes. This morning, I had mailed almost every dealer in Chennai asking for the quickest delivery period for the 'Bird and I did get encouraging replies. While one of them was very optimistic at 1 week, another asked for 20 days and the third dealer asked for 30-45 days. I being the ever enthusiastic person that I am (despite the many setbacks it has got me into) called up N.A Motors - Trichy thinking the delivery period would have greatly reduced. Man I should have known better. The lady at the desk (bless her soul) said "Saar, 8-10 months". I asked her if thats the standard reply that they have for potential customers, to which she didn't bother to reply. Despite that I did tell her that I thought the waiting time would have reduced since the new facility is up and running, to which I think she was not listening. She repeated the aforementioned sentence and I just said "Santhosam" in Tamil (meaning happy) and kept the call.

Later, I called the RE showroom at Tiruvottiyur and after having patiently listened to my story (not enquiry), the guy said, "Saar, this is lunch time, call after 2!". He wasn't even courteous. That hurt. Now that sets me thinking, should I really even want to buy this bike. Maybe its a bad omen or maybe I am being sentimental in my approach but this has happened all too often. I tried to get a direct email ID on the net for the company-owned dealership but nope. Nothing there. So people from Chennai, can I really rely on the delivery period stated by the few dealerships that have responded to my enquiry? They are Balaji Motors, Aravinduja Motors and the Adyar dealer (these people who have responded had RE email ID's).
Old 26th August 2014, 14:24   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello People! I am back with my RE woes. This morning, I had mailed almost every dealer in Chennai asking for the quickest delivery period for the 'Bird and I did get encouraging replies. While one of them was very optimistic at 1 week, another asked for 20 days and the third dealer asked for 30-45 days. I being the ever enthusiastic person that I am (despite the many setbacks it has got me into) called up N.A Motors -
Am surprised,here in Pune its 3 months waiting.I myself booked a DS.

Last edited by mobike008 : 26th August 2014 at 15:48. Reason: Please dont quote entire post for a one line reply
Old 26th August 2014, 16:58   #45
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Avinash, Suppose am being the last to wish you

Very well described review where you have detailed it pretty well. Planning for any mods to the bike? Making any changes to the exhaust? try the Wild Boar Silencer it is pretty good.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks