Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2014, 05:18   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 (aka Urban Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champion View Post
Hello People! I am back with my RE woes.
Not sure what to comment on this but to me it really looks odd. You better get in touch with a local TB Owner and find an alternate route to expedite the delivery. But then again looking at your feelings and inclination, it seems like you won't be happy with RE overall experience. You may just want to drop the idea - RE is like that. Patience is needed in almost everything, sad but true :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Congrats Avinash, Suppose am being the last to wish you

Very well described review where you have detailed it pretty well. Planning for any mods to the bike? Making any changes to the exhaust? try the Wild Boar Silencer it is pretty good.
Thank you No mods planned as such. I am investing more on the riding gear at the moment since I did not have any. The future plan is to see if I can do something on the ECU with reliable things after 2/3 years. But thats just a thought, not sure of reality.

By the way, I am away from the bird, working hard on west coast of USA. The last I rode bike was to see the bangalore bhpians off to Jog falls overnighter! Just crossed the 1000Km mark on the odo last weekend and looking forward to using it as son as I am back.

My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-img_20140822_150743.jpg

At least one long trip (500+ Kms to and fro) will happen within a week of returning back to home!
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 15:38   #47
BHPian

Re: My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 (aka Urban Cruiser

Congratulations on the new bike (well i read the thread late )

loved reading the description of your shortlisting & buying.

Would you mind putting up some latest pics of the Matte tank. I saw the display pieces at a dealership & hey looked bad with a little dirt. Your's looks amazing post polishing.
P.S. is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 18:20   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
Would you mind putting up some latest pics of the Matte tank. I saw the display pieces at a dealership & hey looked bad with a little dirt. Your's looks amazing post polishing.
Thanks P.S. At the moment I am away from my bird and at least for another week or so. Promise to post more pics as soon as I am back home sometime last week of September
Old 4th September 2014, 01:39   #49
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 9th September 2014 at 17:15.
P.S. is offline   Received Infraction
Old 5th September 2014, 20:26   #50

Hey Avinash,

Firstly, Congratulations on your Thunderbird! The Matte black looks really good on this beast. I too am the proud owner of a TBTS 350 Stone (Got my bike last week) It would be nice if you could you share details of the paint protection you've done for the bike. I'm located in Mumbai and would like to have the same done for my bike too.

Regards,
Wins.
Old 6th September 2014, 10:14   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wins28 View Post
It would be nice if you could you share details of the paint protection you've done for the bike. I'm located in Mumbai and would like to have the same done for my bike too.
Thanks Wins! I am not sure all the exact details of what Partha used, but as far as I remember, it was Ceramic Quartz and some other stuff. You can send Partha a PM or contact @ +91 96 20 603127. Hope this helps.
Old 19th September 2014, 09:25   #52
Senior - BHPian

After exactly 25 days later, I am back home and first thing I have checked is if my bird is still holding ground as I left it. I had not removed battery or done anything specific than just covering it with a bike cover borrowed from spouse's scooty

I was kind of not sure if the electric start will work. Thanks to all the stories from various fellow riders and friends to instill that fear in me. But to my surprise, nothing of that sort happened. I unlocked handle, and without putting the key in ON position, gently pushed the kicker 5-6 times. Applied choke, did it couple more times. Switched on the Key, and kicked gently two more times. Just when I felt that response on the kick while it was slowly going all the way down, I decided to give it a firm kick. And the engine comes to life with the slow signature thump. Left it for 2 minutes and bike is perfectly firing as expected. Maybe since the bike is relatively new (3 months) there is no chance of battery drain or so but knowing the other's trouble I followed the ritual that was told to me by a friend. Regardless of all this, the good part of reuniting with bike is, it just felt like in same condition just as I had left it.

Let the fun begin!

Service Update -
Since the second free service for the bike is due when 3000Km on odo or 90 days from the purchase date, I had to take it to service again. This time again went to brand store service station near bannerghatta road behind shopper's stop. With a 112 Rs bill, the bike is returned in 3 hours. So far so good.

The odometer still reads 1175 Kms
Time to hit the roads for longer distances now.

It was only misc labor charges and nothing specific with the service. No engine oil top up required.

Unlike my car, this second service is oddly done due to time and not distance on Odo, I will now mostly be set on the time based servicing only and just watch for engine oil change duration. I dont think I can cover so much distance (6000 Kms on Odo for third service) in just next three months.

But then, you never know!

EDIT:
Just forgot to take the pics of the tank as promised above. I will do that this weekend and post here. Sorry for the delay.
Old 21st September 2014, 14:00   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Just forgot to take the pics of the tank as promised above. I will do that this weekend and post here. Sorry for the delay.
The bike wasn't washed ever since I bought it - had been just wiping out only when it came back from rain. Else no maintenance whatsoever. Today while out on the road, saw a washing station. Asked the attendant to throw the water hose to bath my bike. Sprinkled water freely and clean wiped using the micro fiber towel.

Here are the pics with water and after clean wipe -

My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-1411288048431.jpg
My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-1411288073476.jpg
My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-1411288103823.jpg
My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-1411288127272.jpg
My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-1411288154280.jpg
My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-1411288188104.jpg

There are few scratches developed on the top of the tank. Which I think must be while I let my one year old kid sit and mock the ride in our parking lot on some evening walk. Or maybe someone kept something on the tank for few minutes... not sure. I think apart from that, rest all looks good as it was earlier!

Last edited by abirnale : 21st September 2014 at 14:05. Reason: formatting
Old 10th October 2014, 10:11   #54
Senior - BHPian

The Eklipes Cobra Charger Fitment - DIY

When I returned from the recent USA trip (business), I bought along this hefty thing with me - http://www.eklipes.com/All-Products/EK1-110

Thanks to the recommendations from Mahesh Kora and pointer from few others to carry this DIY. A colleague and ex-Bhpian (not active) helped do this too.

Here are the stepwise pics to illustrate what was done -

The Unit -
My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-0.-eklipes-package.jpg

Bought this for 29$. It comes with the unit, fitting/ insert mount rings, Actual charger unit and cable to draw power from battery along with jump starting unit of BMW type.

To complete the fitment, you have to run the cable from battery, leaving the connections closer to rider's seat, away from battery and then the charged on the handle. The way I ran the cable was from battery compartment, below seat and then beneath the tank. The jump start outlet and cable connectors are kept on the right side of the seat in such a way that they can be left unconnected for when not in use.

Here are the few important pics to help you understand how tank is unmounted -

My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-1.-removetankstep1tanknuts.jpg

My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-2.-removetankstep2.jpg

Connect to the battery terminal.

My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-3.-batteryconnection.jpg

Tie the running cable to chassis/ other cables as needed. Ensure you dont mess up with existing cables/ joints and couplers!

My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-5.-tietochasis.jpg
My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-4.-cablebelowtanktiedonchasis.jpg

The actual charging unit and cables that run along with others on handlebar -

My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-6.-theunit.jpg

My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-7.-unitcabling.jpg

This is the connection point I leave open when not in use. This is to avoid someone setting charger switch to ON when parked! I will connect this only when I need to head on long drive.

My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-8.-chargerconnector.jpg

My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-9.-connectingjumpcable.jpg

My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY too-10.-connectors.jpg

I will now need a good phone holder to mount on the handlebar and a BMW type jump cable when in distress to start the bike! This is a very simple DIY but took me time to figure out how exactly this should be done!

A very handy tool on long rides and to start the bike with jump cables when in distress!
abirnale is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th October 2014, 23:09   #55
BHPian

Beautifully written thread! I am following into your footsteps & will book my TB 500 as early as tommorrow.. Just confused abt d color though..Flicker/Lightning/Marine. Will request for the PDI checksheet shortly mate.. Ride safe!
shaikhmimran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2014, 09:08   #56
Senior - BHPian

Re: My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaikhmimran View Post
Just confused abt d color though..Flicker/Lightning/Marine. Will request for the PDI checksheet shortly mate.. Ride safe!
Thanks Imran.

The checksheet is here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...checksheet.pdf

About color, Its more personal choice than anything else. Go with whatever you like at first sight!
Old 13th October 2014, 14:02   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Imran.

The checksheet is here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...checksheet.pdf

About color, Its more personal choice than anything else. Go with whatever you like at first sight!
Thanks & your checksheet is a sad but true testimony to the QC quality at RE. Also I can already see that using the checksheet is a 2 person job. Now the next step is to find my Mr.Two.
Old 13th October 2014, 14:45   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaikhmimran View Post
Also I can already see that using the checksheet is a 2 person job. Now the next step is to find my Mr.Two.
Imran, we are in the same city If you are taking it from south Bangalore, ping me and I will be glad to help you!
Old 13th October 2014, 20:46   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Imran, we are in the same city If you are taking it from south Bangalore, ping me and I will be glad to help you!
Avinash.. Thats really kind of you. I shall surely need that help. Will be in touch.
For booking the vehicle, do you recommend any particular dealer?
Old 16th October 2014, 12:01   #60
BHPian

Re: My foray into the biking world - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500. EDIT: Charger DIY

Hi Avinash

I recently booked a RE TB500. Expect delivery in December. Before booking, I read up several ownership threads on the bike, and yours really helped with my decision. Many thanks, and happy riding!

Warm Regards
Anand
Silverflash is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed