Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2014, 11:10   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: My 2002 Yamaha RXZ - Update: Now Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruncheloor View Post
Its worth every penny you spent. Will give you years of trouble free service. The hard part is going to be keeping her clean always. One thing in which im a total failure
Thanks Arun. You pretty much knew everything about my struggle to find original parts as I did bug you at every stage of the restoration, one way or the other. I feel it is worth every penny I spent too, but you are probably one of the few others to feel the same way. Yes, keeping the bikes clean is a difficult task. But I can do it just to see the end result. Hard part though is to take the time off from baby-sitting and family time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Fantastic restoration man. BTW have you put up a thread on your RD resto yet ? Dont see one , hence asking.
Thank you rjstyles69. No, I haven't put up a thread on my RD restoration. It took almost a year and I could not document it well enough with photographs and facts. Hence did not feel like penning it down.

All the best on your Bullet restoration. They are beautiful machines (my very first motorcycle was a Machismo A350).

Quote:
Originally Posted by soorejmohan View Post
Great work Viju, and indeed even greater workmanship(kudos to your trusty mechanic). Seems we Keralites are still crazy about our Yamaha's
Thank you soorejmohan. Yes, every time I visit Kerala, it is heartening to see the glistening old RX100s, 135s and the Zs smoking along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickrider00 View Post
Viju Sir, only a true biker could have gone to the extent to which you did inorder to restore this fabulous bike. Congratulations, your hardwork had paid massive dividends. This is closest one can come to a showroom-spect RXZ. The bike in its heyday was the best, alas I could not afford it then though I did have a YD-125.
Thank you for the kind words maverickrider00. I chose a Pulsar 180 (first gen) over a Z 5 speed in 2001 because that was the in-thing then. If I had just picked up a brand new Z spending 56000/- then, what a worthy investment it would have been. It is never too late to chase your dreams down I guess.
Viju is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 14:06   #47
BHPian

Great work! I have just started riding again and am still holding on to my 14 year old bike from college (1st gen Pulsar). Inspired by quite a few restorations (most of all, yours).
Just had a couple of questions on which you can help -
1. How do you get the spokes back to their shiny chrome look? (Replace the spokes? replace the wheels?)
2. How do you restore the engine colour back to the original metallic finish?

Both of these are black in my Puslar, and I was hoping to get them to look better.
Old 27th July 2014, 16:52   #48

Hi Viju , i think your bike looks absolutely fantastic . Congrats on this brilliant restoration . I too have bought a rxz 4 speed and plan to restore it. i'm struggling to find a good trustworthy mechanic in Bangalore , can you please recommend me one ?
Old 6th August 2014, 08:33   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishsingh View Post
How do you get the spokes back to their shiny chrome look? (Replace the spokes? replace the wheels?).
A simple trick with things available around us will do the job of bringing a rusty chrome back to shine.

Aluminum foil along with water/coke(or any cola) and a little elbow grease should make the rust go and bring the shine back.

Check out this link - http://snapguide.com/guides/clean-ru...-way-possible/

I tried it on my Classic 350 crash guard, chrome surface was starting to develop a few dots of rust. This method is simple and effective and should help in your case also.
Old 11th August 2014, 17:13   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishsingh View Post
Great work!
Just had a couple of questions on which you can help -
1. How do you get the spokes back to their shiny chrome look? (Replace the spokes? replace the wheels?)
2. How do you restore the engine colour back to the original metallic finish?
Both of these are black in my Puslar, and I was hoping to get them to look better.
Hi nishsingh, sorry for the delayed reply. Thank you for the kind words.

1. If the solution which soorejmohan suggested does not work, I would suggest replacing the spokes with brand new ones. If stainless steel ones are available in your area, go for them as it will keep rust away for longer. Regular spokes should not cost more than 250/- per wheel + cost of replacement.

2. For the engine, the cylinder, head, clutch and magnet covers are generally painted. A good coat of heat-resistant silver paint (after a thorough cleaning or preferably sand-blasting) should bring your engine back to it's original glory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by managhatke77 View Post
I too have bought a rxz 4 speed and plan to restore it. i'm struggling to find a good trustworthy mechanic in Bangalore , can you please recommend me one ?
Thank you managhatke77.

Honestly, I am yet to find a mechanic in Bangalore I am comfortable with. I don't let mechanics here do anything more than an oil change, and do not let my bike out of my sight. I get my restorations done in Cochin from my trusted mech.

You could try contacting member kurd69 (Mahesh). He should be able to suggest a good mech in Bangalore.
Old 13th August 2014, 19:33   #51
BHPian

Sir,

Excellent write up.Absolutely enjoyed the read.

That is one beautiful looking motorcycle I must say.Loved the attention to detail in transforming it to its stock look.I really enjoy looking(rather staring)at neat beautiful rx-100's here in Kerala.

Initially while reading through I thought that the rx-z and the RD-350 were both in Cochin.Woulda loved to have a look at em.Then I realised they were in Bangalore.

Must have taken a lot of patience to get all those parts sourced.Your efforts paid off!
Old 24th October 2014, 17:04   #52
BHPian

Hi Viju, That was an excellent effort. I can understand your thirst for a stock 5 speed RXZ.

I should say this world is too small. Actually I was behind this bike seller on the same day when he posted his ad on OLX. Till now I have his contact number. I thought he will sell me for a reasonable price but one nice offer from other state gave him an opportunity for him to say no to me. But it is good to see the same bike again in well deserving hands. Enjoy your ride.
Old 19th November 2014, 16:56   #53
BHPian

Rear shock absorbers for Yamaha RXZ

Hello folks,

I have a Yamaha RXZ that is in need of some repairs. Several years ago, one of the rear shock absorbers broke while somebody else was riding my bike. He took it to a mechanic and the mechanic replaced the shock absorbers with ones from the YBX. These are much taller ones and have raised the stance of the bike (including requiring adding some height to the centre stand). The high rear stance seems very unsettling now and I want to change these to the RXZ ones. Unfortunately, the showrooms in and around Indiranagar (Bangalore) don't have the replacement.

Any suggestions on how to get these replaced? Is there some place online that I could buy these and get them shipped?

Alternatively, will the shock absorbers from the RX 135 fit? Those are easily available.

Thanks in advance,
Yamraj
Old 19th November 2014, 19:02   #54
BHPian

Re: Rear shock absorbers for Yamaha RXZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamraj View Post
Hello folks,

I have a Yamaha RXZ that is in need of some repairs. Several years ago, one of the rear shock absorbers broke while somebody else was riding my bike. He took it to a mechanic and the mechanic replaced the shock absorbers with ones from the YBX. These are much taller ones and have raised the stance of the bike (including requiring adding some height to the centre stand). The high rear stance seems very unsettling now and I want to change these to the RXZ ones. Unfortunately, the showrooms in and around Indiranagar (Bangalore) don't have the replacement.

Any suggestions on how to get these replaced? Is there some place online that I could buy these and get them shipped?

Alternatively, will the shock absorbers from the RX 135 fit? Those are easily available.

Thanks in advance,
Yamraj
Original shock absorbers should be easily available. Go to the Yamaha factory shop and enquire first before reading other stuff and getting into online purchasing. Gabriel ones are also the best ones. IMO all the RX series had the same rear shockers. Even the Crux ones are the same.
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 23:44   #55
BHPian

I've been to a few Yamaha showrooms - none of them seem to know the correct ones for the RXZ.

BTW, what/where is a factory shop? I've already tried the service centres to no avail.

Last edited by yamraj : 19th November 2014 at 23:49.
Old 20th November 2014, 07:09   #56
Senior - BHPian

Try the Bajaj CT100 SnS (orange and black springs). They're a good match to RX and RXZs.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2014, 12:32   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamraj View Post
I've been to a few Yamaha showrooms - none of them seem to know the correct ones for the RXZ.

BTW, what/where is a factory shop? I've already tried the service centres to no avail.
Hello yamraj (!), I don`t think there is any difference in the shock absorbers between RX135 and RXZ. The YBX ones are definitely longer.

I fixed brand new RX135 shock absorbers on my Z and they are perfect - fit-wise and function-wise. So go ahead and fix some new shockers on your Z.
Viju is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2014, 22:59   #58
BHPian

I'll procure the RX135 ones and fix them. Thanks for the update Viju.
Old 12th December 2014, 10:04   #59

Hey guys! So finally got my RXZ restored. Decided to get it done in the showroom itself, because I knew a manager there. I was quoted about 10 - 15k for this job. But I went to check out the bike yesterday which was complete and got the shock of my life when I found out that the final bill is 33k!

Every part has been replaced with original Yamaha RXZ part, still I find it slightly unreasonable. There is a small paint job to be done, anyone know a good painting guy in Bangalore? Or can I just do it myself to save some money.

Bike pics to follow.
Old 12th December 2014, 12:16   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by managhatke77 View Post
Or can I just do it myself to save some money.

Bike pics to follow.
Are you saying after spending 33k you are going to do some DIY artwork? No offences but certain things like Denting/ Painting etc should be left to professionals.

Pramod

Most Viewed