Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2014, 11:02   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Yamaha launches FZ FI 2.0 (Rs 76,250) and FZ-S (Rs 78,250)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING DYSP View Post
Comparo – Yamaha FZ FI V2.0 vs Honda CB Trigger vs TVS Apache RTR160 vs Hero Xtreme vs Bajaj Pulsar 150.

Attachment 1256340

IAB
Wow, the most expensive bike here makes the least power!!
Please Yamaha, this bike deserves more poweerrrrrr ...

Last edited by GTO : 1st July 2014 at 14:14. Reason: Strictly no SMS language on Team-BHP please
Old 1st July 2014, 11:10   #17
BHPian

I was expecting it to get a slightly higher power and torque figures than the outgoing model when it was displayed at the auto expo. This is kinda disappointing for all the guys out there who were waiting for a more powerful fz to be launched.
FZ would have been a tough competitor to the upcoming Suzuki Gixxer 150 if Yamaha would have kept the torque and power figures the same than reduce it.
But time alone will tell how its gonna be like. Lets wait and watch.
Old 1st July 2014, 11:16   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Great going by Yamaha, brining FI technology to the 150cc middle class bikes.
HH had launched Glamour PGM-FI(125 cc) 5 years back i guess. SO its not path breaking from Yamaha in any way IMHO.
Anyways, FZ was a good city bike and remains the same.
InControl is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 13:33   #19

Let's not jump to conclusions and Yamaha bashing just looking at the power and torque features. I am sure this will be an able performer with the FI and keep up well with the rest of the 150CC pack. The power & torque spread across the rev band plays an influential role on how the bike rides and this can be best achieved by tweaking the FI system. If the ride quality is good with linear torque spread, the slight lowering of power & torque won't even be noticed by the rider in the real world. But what the rider will definitely notice is the improvement in fuel efficiency and a smoother ride due to the FI. If you care to look at the comparison chart the Yamaha has the least weight which definitely will work in it's favor. The Suzuki GS was not included in comparison but though it has higher power & torque, the Suzuki also tips the scale at almost 149 KG.

So prints do not always tell the true story if it will only be unfair to criticize a motorcycle basis this. Lets weight for full road tests to understand the bike better.
sasen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 13:37   #20
BHPian

what you guys are missing out is on the weight. Its the lightest bike in its class now. Considering it was always a sweet handler, its going to be even better. FI means even thought its slightly down on power and torque, throttle response will be quite snappy compared to its carbed competitors.
balenopower is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 15:13   #21
BHPian

Re: Yamaha launches FZ FI 2.0 (Rs 76,250) and FZ-S (Rs 78,250)

Why Yamaha Why ???
Why do they need to go to the MASS market mode of increased fuel economy and lower power ?

Why can't they stick to their USP of great looking performance bikes. They should have upped the ante by launching more powerful bike even if it was using the remap option.

Do they get complacent and just want to maximize profits just because they seem to be selling good numbers ?

Of late lots of folks are getting the Royal Enfield, at this time when maturity is coming into the market you downgrade your offering for economy

Cheers
MKP
Old 1st July 2014, 15:29   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpiyengar View Post
Why Yamaha Why ???

Why do they need to go to the MASS market mode of increased fuel economy and lower power ?

Why can't they stick to their USP of great looking performance bikes. They should have upped the ante by launching more powerful bike even if it was using the remap option.
Yamaha just cannot say that I will sell only performance oriented bikes and not look at commuter / FE oriented bikes. Not good for the brand as it will narrow down their market share and goals.

What I can see here is - FI means there is an ECU in this bike so now I can see RD boxes coming for the FZ FI series like the ones available for RE 500 EFI.

Doesn't it solve your problem?

Anurag.
Old 1st July 2014, 16:11   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
This looks like a commuter economy mode version of the FZ- like a Unicorn in FZ clothes!
Actually, the SZ-R is the commuter economy mode version of the FZ, running the same block.

I for one, agree that they have spoiled the timeless street bike look in the process of jazzing it up. The newer Xtreme, this FZ, the CB Trigger: they all lack the character that their predecessors had. I just hope the Indian market doesn't become like the Thai/Malaysian markets where similar looking commuters throng the streets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Very silly question - but how expensive would it have been to add a "sports mode" button, that lets the ECU select a more powerful remap? Wouldn't that have been the best of both worlds?
No idea, but I don't think it'd come cheap. In fact, even an aftermarket piggyback with switchable maps would atleast cost 15k. Add to that the increase in on-road price if the 15k stuff is part of the ex-showroom package. Doesn't make sense for the manufacturer to spend so much on a mass market 150 IMO. Given the fact, even right now it's the most expensive of the lot.

But yes, with FI, we get the opportunity of plugging in piggybacks and change the fuel map to suit individual tastes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I can't get the 6,000 km injector cleaning period. There was no disclaimer of this sort for the R15. Nothing on other bikes having FI. Why on this?

I am not too interested in power figures, as despite lower figures, it can still keep up with other 150's and outhandle/outbrake most if not all of them (in regular 150 class)
Precisely. I too fail to understand the injector cleaning interval of 6k kms. I've not heard of such short interval in ANY FI bike sold in India.

With a lower power/torque figure and a smaller rear sprocket (from 41 to 40) you still think it'd be as easy for the new FZ to keep up as it was for the earlier one? Although I agree that since the gear ratios are not known, it'd be silly to comment on just the final drive ratio.
dreamseller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 18:08   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseller View Post
With a lower power/torque figure and a smaller rear sprocket (from 41 to 40) you still think it'd be as easy for the new FZ to keep up as it was for the earlier one? Although I agree that since the gear ratios are not known, it'd be silly to comment on just the final drive ratio.
Check the weight.

Agree that as far as top end goes, an RTR might edge ahead, but for sure, it won't disappear.

To overtake a very able & determined rider on a FZ, I had to use some tricks on my sleeve astride a R15 and the bike always saw upwards of 7,000rpm during that period.

There is no fun in crouching & gunning it IMO.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 22:22   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Check the weight.

Agree that as far as top end goes, an RTR might edge ahead, but for sure, it won't disappear.

To overtake a very able & determined rider on a FZ, I had to use some tricks on my sleeve astride a R15 and the bike always saw upwards of 7,000rpm during that period.

There is no fun in crouching & gunning it IMO.
True that. I'm not even going to the top end. The FZ always had a weak top. But the peak torque coming in at just 6000RPM made it such a sweet city bike. With a lower rear sprocket and also lower torque I'm skeptical of how much of that grunt will remain.
Old 2nd July 2014, 09:33   #26
Senior - BHPian

The FI is a welcome but i really don't find the reason to reduce the power to 13.1 PS, even though it wont make much of a difference but these things do get noticed and Yamaha is surely getting bashed everywhere because of this.

Rest Look are subjective, Inspite of the fact that i own a Fazer my first choice shall always remain a Black FZ16.

Good thing is weight has been reduced which will anyway make up for the loss of power. What people are forgetting here is FZ/Fazer's chassis, tyres, Suspension and riding position always make it the best in its class. If you can keep the engine in the perfect power band which for the Carb version was between 6k-7k, you can easily cruise at good speeds on the highway and be with the traffic or ahead of it too.

Frankly Yamaha has missed a big chance to crack the market. I was hoping they would launch a 160-170cc FI bike having a power output of about 15~17hp . I know some of these modified FZ's which handle 18+ bhp, only modification that has been done is the addition of a rear disc brake. Though the stock brakes are excellent on a stock bike.

Anyway waiting for some some good aftermarket ECU mods from tuners across the country.

Asit

Last edited by GTO : 2nd July 2014 at 11:59. Reason: Adding paragraph spacing to improve readability :)
Old 2nd July 2014, 12:06   #27
BHPian

The tail light looks horrible. IMHO the previous versions were better.
Drop in power and torque? While the world is moving up these guys are moving backwards.
While the world waits for R25, they release these duds. Not Impressed Yamaha. You can do better.
Old 2nd July 2014, 13:49   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Suddenly makes the FZ the costliest with least power and weight on tap.

This is not a great proposition at all!!
The price apart, one thing to be noted is, the FZ is lightest in the category! The torque is also quite good. And given the technology that has gone in, it should still be the better package overall(Again keeping the price aside).
Old 3rd July 2014, 14:06   #29
BHPian

Everyone talks about how light the FZ is . Compare it to the RTR 160 - 132kgs vs 137kgs and 13.1bhp vs 15.5. Will 5 kgs make up for the difference of 2.4bhp ?

What makes the difference for the fz is the torque spread unlike peaky RTR. And that enables it to be spectacular city bike. But show it the long road and beyond 65-70kph it seems to huff and puff.

I personally have a feeling that fuel injection in these smaller bikes do NOT bring such a massive improvement on the table. I speak from the experience of owning an RTR efi. While yamaha has way more experience in Fi than TVS, i doubt an average rider will be able to discern the difference between an fi and carb FZ. Anyways i shall wait for a proper road test though.
Old 3rd July 2014, 18:16   #30
BHPian

And even the bore has been reduced which has led to the reduction of the displacement by 4 cc (149 cc now).

Also Yamaha is vying with other competitors to increase the fuel efficiency comparably. The so far claimed BLUE CORE tech providing 50 km/l makes this almost look like a fashionable commuter bike!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks