Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2014, 22:10   #31
BHPian

Re: Yamaha launches FZ FI 2.0 (Rs 76,250) and FZ-S (Rs 78,250)

For the new FZ- The bike looks ugly, is priced way beyond its natural competitors and is under powered.

Whenever I thought about an upgrade/refresh of FZ, I expected Yamaha would give us more power, (Like TVS did with Apache 160RTR to 180RTR). The styling update is also not cool either.

While coming out with R15 v2.0, Yamaha took and incorporated much of consumer feedback in the update. Wonder what happened in case of FZ.

While Indian 2 wheeler market is showing surge in demand for 150CC+ bikes, Yamaha is actually hell bent on killing its sales.

Disappointed to say the least.
Old 4th July 2014, 09:32   #32
BHPian

Instead of investing into better technologies to increase fuel efficiency and power/torque, this is a step back. Disappointing!!. When will motorcycles be on the cutting edge enginewise and weight wise in India?
Old 4th July 2014, 13:41   #33
Senior - BHPian

I don't understand why Yamaha is focusing on commuter bikes, the existing FZ & FZS are good enough for this segment!

They should have launched a 180 - 200 cc bike for bike enthusiasts, am sure it would sell well...
Old 4th July 2014, 14:15   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
They should have launched a 180 - 200 cc bike for bike enthusiasts, am sure it would sell well...
It is with that hope that we seek the R25
Old 4th July 2014, 14:28   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
I don't understand why Yamaha is focusing on commuter bikes, the existing FZ & FZS are good enough for this segment!

They also have the R15 (yes, not in this segment) moreover how much more excitement can a 30-50cc (over) can provide?

Yes, the R25 should be out by next year.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2014, 20:25   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSharan View Post
For the new FZ- The bike looks ugly, is priced way beyond its natural competitors and is under powered.

Whenever I thought about an upgrade/refresh of FZ, I expected Yamaha would give us more power, (Like TVS did with Apache 160RTR to 180RTR). The styling update is also not cool either.

While coming out with R15 v2.0, Yamaha took and incorporated much of consumer feedback in the update. Wonder what happened in case of FZ.

While Indian 2 wheeler market is showing surge in demand for 150CC+ bikes, Yamaha is actually hell bent on killing its sales.

Disappointed to say the least.
True that!!. I also heard that the last limited edition FZ-S released by YAMAHA lacked the punch the earlier FZ-S had. The 0-60 kph had also reduced marginally. That reveals the intent of the Japan Giants to try for a bike that offers more mileage for commuters.
Old 5th July 2014, 21:27   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karzzexped View Post
True that!!. I also heard that the last limited edition FZ-S released by YAMAHA lacked the punch the earlier FZ-S had. The 0-60 kph had also reduced marginally. That reveals the intent of the Japan Giants to try for a bike that offers more mileage for commuters.
That is why I think Yamaha's strategy is skewed. To cater to the mileage sensitive consumers, they already had their SZ series. Which IMO, is doing good by Yamaha standards. The FZ was such a muscular looking bike. The Chassis showed promise and they could have easily plonked a 180CC/200CC engine to make it a hoot to drive. Fazer, positioned as the tourer, is grossly underpowered. For Fazer, a 250CC Engine, projector headlamps, rear discs and a price tag of around 1Lakhs INR would make it a steal. After all, People didn't mind pay 1.25Lakhs+ for R15 which is a 150CC Bike.

R25 delayed, by the time it reaches Indian shores, Duke 200/390RC would leave no scope for it in the market.

Yamaha guys, Please wake up. Else you are going to lose your business to Bajaj and Hero. I'm a big fan of Bajaj guys for their Pulsar and recently Duke family, but Yamaha being Yamaha is simply leagues ahead of them. We, Indians have a lot of expectation from you guys after the mighty RX100, RD350 and more recently, R15.
LordSharan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2014, 09:31   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
People didn't mind pay 1.25Lakhs+ for R15 which is a 150CC Bike.
Add another around 30K and you will have a 250cc. Though, they both are different.

If you scratch the surface, you will realize how good a motorcycle R15 is. CBR-150 too couldn't connect with the bikers the way R15 did.

And Yamaha is asking that price as it is loaded that way. The chassis, the engine is a masterclass in its segment.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2014, 21:47   #39
BHPian

Quote:
That is why I think Yamaha's strategy is skewed. To cater to the mileage sensitive consumers, they already had their SZ series. Which IMO, is doing good by Yamaha standards. The FZ was such a muscular looking bike. The Chassis showed promise and they could have easily plonked a 180CC/200CC engine to make it a hoot to drive. Fazer, positioned as the tourer, is grossly underpowered. For Fazer, a 250CC Engine, projector headlamps, rear discs and a price tag of around 1Lakhs INR would make it a steal. After all, People didn't mind pay 1.25Lakhs+ for R15 which is a 150CC Bike.

R25 delayed, by the time it reaches Indian shores, Duke 200/390RC would leave no scope for it in the market.

Yamaha guys, Please wake up. Else you are going to lose your business to Bajaj and Hero. I'm a big fan of Bajaj guys for their Pulsar and recently Duke family, but Yamaha being Yamaha is simply leagues ahead of them. We, Indians have a lot of expectation from you guys after the mighty RX100, RD350 and more recently, R15.
Yeah!! Agreed. Bajaj has already quenched one's thirst for sporty bikes by offering completely two types of bikes in the same 200 cc category. The KTM Duke 200 delivering exclusively for speed junkies and the Pulsar NS greeting the consumers in a way that offers in-city drive ability and more than good offering in the Highways.

The TVS groups has self-destructed themselves by churning out the Apache series more than an old cow does.( Although i expect the TVS-BMW partnership to be good)

Yamaha which from the good old days gave us absolute power, is seriously messing the big name that FZ-S has. Yamaha can have a salvation by launching the R25 in the swiftest way possible.
Old 2nd August 2014, 10:21   #40
BHPian

Hey Guys,

Anyone owns a Fz-16, Fz-s or Fazer here? I was wondering if the old light tail light cluster can be replaced with the the new tail light cluster? I'm guessing both the clusters have the same assembly design.
Old 15th September 2014, 22:23   #41
Senior - BHPian

So I visited the nearest Yamaha dealership yesterday as a good friend was interested in buying the fz-s fi. I got a chance to test ride the bike and the following are my observations-
1. Even with the reduced power on paper, the bike felt no different from my fazer. I guess the reduced weight helps in keeping the power to weight ratio the same as the older fz.

2. The new instrument cluster is awesome and an 'Eco' light comes on, when you ride sedately. Good feature Yamaha.

3. The bike looks bad. One look at the black fz16 standing besides the new fz 2.0 and you will know how bad it is. It's the same difference between the safari dicor and the safari storme with respect to the looks. Recently a friend spotted an fz-s 2.0 and started saying as to how people can spoil such a good looking bike with such stupid cosmetic mods. For a second I believed him, but later realised it's the new fz-s. Bad move with such quirky looks Yamaha.

4. Not at all value for money. At almost 90k on road it doesn't make sense. Spending a few more thousands can get you a Pulsar 200ns which is much more powerful than the fz-s.

So given a chance again will i ever buy an fz-s 2.0?
Nope, never. I will definitely stretch a bit and get the 200ns or the gixxer150. I shall be test riding the gixxer soon, Will post a comparison between the fz-s 2.0 and the gixxer 150.

Asit

Last edited by asit.kulkarni93 : 15th September 2014 at 22:28.
Old 13th April 2015, 14:19   #42
BHPian

I do understand that the FI is a much more sophisticated piece of machinery and it does have various advantages over the conventional carb. Like precise fuelling and it really starts to show its edge at high altitudes when the Carbs starts to run out of talents. And its also plane cool to have a Fi unit in your bike. Now this is something I have been wondering about for some time now. For a 150 cc commuter, is FI really a necessity or just an unnecessary luxury? Like I said, I do understand the advantages of an FI unit. And also I am not talking about the R15 or the CBR150 that are well developed track tools for which FI unit is a must. I am asking about the street level commuters. So for a person who's main concern is to ride to and from the office daily, will he be able to enjoy the advantage of an FI unit if a bike in the same category with a conventional carb offers almost the same economy. A carb can also be tuned at any local mechanics'. A carb is cheaper and so is its replacement. Should the Fi develop any problems in the future, how much will the cost of repair be? The FZ v1 did just fine; for this long and will continue to do do so for the foreseeable future.

To put it into simple words, will a local commuter actually benefit from this particular technological marvel or what the Yamaha called the "Upgrade"? Or is this just another way to keep the customers returning to the showroom and not go else where? Please do correct me if I am wrong. I question is specifically about the FI unit in FZ V2.
msrsooraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 16:07   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrsooraj View Post
I do understand that the FI is a much more sophisticated piece of machinery and it does have various advantages over the conventional carb. Like precise fuelling and it really starts to show its edge at high altitudes when the Carbs starts to run out of talents. And its also plane cool to have a Fi unit in your bike. Now this is something I have been wondering about for some time now. For a 150 cc commuter, is FI really a necessity or just an unnecessary luxury? Like I said, I do understand the advantages of an FI unit. And also I am not talking about the R15 or the CBR150 that are well developed track tools for which FI unit is a must. I am asking about the street level commuters. So for a person who's main concern is to ride to and from the office daily, will he be able to enjoy the advantage of an FI unit if a bike in the same category with a conventional carb offers almost the same economy. A carb can also be tuned at any local mechanics'. A carb is cheaper and so is its replacement. Should the Fi develop any problems in the future, how much will the cost of repair be? The FZ v1 did just fine; for this long and will continue to do do so for the foreseeable future.

To put it into simple words, will a local commuter actually benefit from this particular technological marvel or what the Yamaha called the "Upgrade"? Or is this just another way to keep the customers returning to the showroom and not go else where? Please do correct me if I am wrong. I question is specifically about the FI unit in FZ V2.
I somewhat agree and somewhat disagree to you sir.

Carb vs Fi on local commuter .... well lets say for example, if by what you say, then even a Maruti 800 doesn't require fuel injection, per-se.

As far as the Fz 2.0 goes, it surely feels like an unnecessary luxury as it felt that they got it wrong this time. The price went up whereas the power figure came down. This was a recepie for disaster. But strangely the bike sales are doing well (my guess would be the killer looks of the bike). Although Yamaha do say that the new blue core engine tech along with lower weight of the bike keeps the performance same as the Fz 1.0 giving a better fuel economy than 1.0. How I wish if they launched a FZ 250, with all these goodies, it would have been a run away success.

Fuel injection is for the peace of mind, and its much more reliable than the carb. So many cars run on fuel injection tech without having major problems over the years. Also the FI brings the "mixture as per the conditions" convenience over long and different condition rides. But as you rightly mentioned "commuter", hence it feels like an unnecessary luxury in the city with same weather conditions. (unless a there is a snowfall in Mumbai or suddenly the earth shifts hard and a new mountain is formed in Chennai , this would be the most sensible buy then )

Having known Yamaha for so many years, its a given that the quality of products are well built and they do last long. But then again, for the FZ 2.0, it isn't a game changing event. Yes, purely it could be called as a small upgrade, or face-lift, to keep things interesting. Bajaj for one, have been the most exciting manufacturer in the recent years with so many exciting launches, which surely are game changing though good or bad.

Last edited by The Great : 14th April 2015 at 16:09.
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2015, 06:49   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
Carb vs Fi on local commuter .... well lets say for example, if by what you say, then even a Maruti 800 doesn't require fuel injection, per-se.

Bajaj for one, have been the most exciting manufacturer in the recent years with so many exciting launches, which surely are game changing though good or bad.
Actually you're right, an 800 doesn't really "need" an FI. A Maruthi 800 is a car unilke a single cylinder 150 cc bike. So why not.
So the new FI in the FZV2, is that a closed loop or open loop FI system? And because you mentioned Bajaj, 3 sparks for igniting a 200 cc single cylinder? Really?
msrsooraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2015, 13:55   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrsooraj View Post
Actually you're right, an 800 doesn't really "need" an FI. A Maruthi 800 is a car unilke a single cylinder 150 cc bike. So why not.
So the new FI in the FZV2, is that a closed loop or open loop FI system? And because you mentioned Bajaj, 3 sparks for igniting a 200 cc single cylinder? Really?
Although the Fz 2.0 has a closed loop Fi system, but I sure do get your point bro.

I am a pure "Anti Pulsarist". But to be honest Bajaj is slowly becoming the Yamaha of the 1990's IMO.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks