Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2014, 20:18   #16
BANNED

Re: Sad story of my TVS Apache RTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Your idea of a bike wash is riding in dense rain? Also one would think that if it has spolied your dress you would pay extra efforts to keep it clean & not leave it to look messy as it is right now.

Did you ever question them? Did you escalate or look for another service center?

Also, as a4anurag pointed, 22k is not normal at all to change bike's tyre.

I think the fact that you didnt raise an eyebrow when the service cost went above 2000 is what might have made them take you for a ride.

At the end what are you trying to seek? Solution to the problems faced or advice on whether to keep or sell the bike?
Im in a haze right now. Im expecting a lot of changes in the coming months. I will take a solid decision in the coming year.
Old 11th August 2014, 12:08   #17
BHPian

Hey, came across the thread today. Can you share the current condition of the bike, have you done away with it?

I too own a 2008 RTR160 too, albeit one with the tank cowls in yellow. My bike too had the oil leakage around the head and a lot of tappet noise, however both were rectified very easily by my mechanic, didn't even cost 500Rs i suppose. The pipes are rusty on my bike too and i have really stopped bothering about it.

I guess the RTR was never built to soothe your nerves with Unicorn like smoothness. Mine used to be at the red-line for at least 40% of the time on my way to the office and back and i was rather satisfied with the bike apart from the ride quality.

The bike is still in good condition, only needs good cleaning i think.
Below are the things i did to take care of the bike in the past 6 years:
1. Oil changed every 2000 kms, due to the a lot of red-lining. ~300 Rs so around 25 oil changes till date Total ~ 9k
2. Cleaning and lubrication every 2 months. 200Rs
2. Had changed the rear tire to a tubeless 110 section Ceat (don't know the model) when the bike had completed around 25k Kms. 2.2k
3. Front tire was changed recently during my last visit, again Ceat tubeless, must say, the ride definitely improved after both the tire changes. 2.1K
4. Changed the tail light unit once, led bulbs were going off one by one. 1.1k
5. Changed the rear brake liners, multiple times, however the cost was < 3-400.
6. Changed the body colored headlight faring once, was scratched due to drops by kids in the building. Cost around 1.5k.
7. Rear view mirrors changed twice, once due to a bad accident and second due to a stupid driver. 150 each, 300 Rs
Mind you, i broke my elbow joint, but the only thing broken on the bike was the rear view mirror.
Slid the bike at a good speed once during the rains, again damage to the bike = None, damage to me = road rash on the back of my hands, no gloves unfortunately the same day.
8. Rear swing arm/ foot peg section changed once, the foot peg mount was broken on the inside. ~ 900k

Everything put together would still not make up 40K, not even half, mind you i never used the service center after the free services. You just had to see / know what work was being done, i do not recall of any service worth 2k to my bike at once.
srs_shetty87 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 07:21   #18
BANNED

The service station guys have quoted 7000 rs for changing a lot of things to stop the oil leak once for all. Being asked to spend to spend that much on a "high performance" 2008 bike having done just 50k kms is harsh. My 2007 TATA INDICA Xeta which also has done as much kms has never crossed 4k every 10k kms. This apache has been serviced 20 times in the past 8 years has incurred 2k every 3 k kms. They are just fleecing us in the name of biking. I went to my service center and asked for the service report. They refused and gave me the date of services done.Now that they have called me and sent the ultimatum, I am scratching my head while thinking what to next.
Old 26th August 2014, 08:18   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post
The service station guys have quoted 7000 rs for changing a lot of things to stop the oil leak once for all.
Lol. You are being taken for ultra-royal ride.

Quote:
They are just fleecing us in the name of biking.
Sorry for saying this, you as a owner / customer is at fault. You should have paid attention or taken any second opinion before blinding believing what the ASC guys say for a leak of engine oil.

One simple advice to you: Stop visiting the ASC. Go to a mechanic.

Quote:
I went to my service center and asked for the service report. They refused and gave me the date of services done.
Don't you have the bills?

Quote:
Now that they have called me and sent the ultimatum, I am scratching my head while thinking what to next.
Highlight the issue to the head office and not to heads at the service centre level.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 26th August 2014 at 08:19.
Old 26th August 2014, 10:02   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
One simple advice to you: Stop visiting the ASC. Go to a mechanic.
@COMMUTER. There, you have just got the most precious advice. I simply dont understand why you want to go back to the ASC guys again.

And 40k on service for an RTR? Damn, I am sure I haven't spent that much even on my ex-Royal Enfield even with visits to the SVC every fortnight.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 26th August 2014 at 10:04.
Old 26th August 2014, 11:21   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Now that they have called me and sent the ultimatum, I am scratching my head while thinking what to next.
Why even bother with the service center at all, pick it up and give it to some known expert mechanic in the locality/ city.
I am sure all your woes will be rectified for less than 50% cost, unless off course the engine needs to be rebuilt and spares parts for TVS are easily available in the open market and you are in the TVS home state.

Also trying to argue with the ASC guys will be nothing but absolute waste of time as the other members have said.
Old 27th August 2014, 08:31   #22
BANNED

I have the fourth TVS bike of my family. I have services it in the Service center for 18 times for just 50k kms. I have been charged 2.5k for every service. Now they are telling all the engine parts need replacement and are charging 8k. I think I'm being cheated because my petrol car is having lower buying cost at 3k for service every 10 kms. Moreover I complained about oil leak in the engine right from 2009 and it has never been rectified even after being charged excessively every time. I feel Iam being cheated either by the dealer or company. If I'm not being given redressal into the issue I will assume that I a loyal customer has been thrown out of this company after having been exploited thoroughly.
Old 27th August 2014, 21:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

I have some questions -

1) How many times exactly did your bike go for service? 18 or 20?

2) In the first post you mentioned that you have been sending the bike every 3k that itself will count as roughly 16 visit in 50k kms, so your bike only went for 3 extra services as per your schedule, right?

3) Why would you pay 2.5k for each service without questioning?

4) Why are you raising concerns after 5 years & 40k & not before?

5) What exactly is the intention of this thread? You still seem to be doing the same actions that you have been doing before.

Last edited by Technocrat : 27th August 2014 at 22:17.
Technocrat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 10:39   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The service station guys have quoted 7000 rs for changing a lot of things to stop the oil leak once for all...
Have you also taken a second opinion from any neighborhood garages? You seem extremely dejected with the service centre, but still take advise from them - does NOT even make sense.

Quote:
Im in a haze right now. Im expecting a lot of changes in the coming months. I will take a solid decision in the coming year.
You expect changes in coming months and want to take a decision next year?!
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 10:53   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have the fourth TVS bike of my family. I have services it in the Service center for 18 times for just 50k kms. I have been charged 2.5k for every service.
Can you please share any of the earlier bills? This is incredible. I would like to see the details.

My pulsar was serviced after one year of disuse and the bill was 1000 rs.
Old 28th August 2014, 11:23   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Can you please share any of the earlier bills? This is incredible. I would like to see the details.

In Bangalore, I have seen bills of typical 1.5-1.8k for the RTR from service centers. The Pulsars too are in the same range. The 2.5K seems unreasonable unless a few non regular parts/consumables are changed in every service.

I am not using the authorized service center, I either do it myself or get it from First Bikes (Rajesh). My service cost is higher, as the engine oil itself is either Motul/Shell/OWS full sythetic oils.
Old 28th August 2014, 11:24   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

Exactly my point Phamily!!

I own a TVS Fiero F2. A bike from the same stable and a long defunct model.

It has been purchased in 2004 and was used extensively till 2009.

Covered over 45K kms and since 2009 till now, has covered about 1K kms.
Obviously, it is lying around for most of the time.
I hold this bike very close to heart and am restoring it completely after 5 years of very low use.

The approx. expenses are as below:

1) Servicing - 450
2) Oil Change- 250
3) Front Shocker Seal(set of 2)-120
4) Front Shocker Oil-120
5) Ignition Lock-230
6) Battery- Amaron 2.5AH-825
7) Marginal Touch up- 250
8) Fuel Tank Cleaning-200(Labour)
9) Other Lubes/Oils/Grease-200
10) Front Brake Cable-150
10) Misc. -500

Total: < Rs. 3500/-

And note the above is including the battery!!

The rates are sourced from TVS and all parts are original TVS parts sourced from the spare parts division.

The bike will be serviced by my trusted mechanic Mahesh who is working in the TVS ASC but has been up keeping my bike since the last 10 years!!

@Commuter,
So, I actually see no reason why you have spent Rs. 2.5K per service every time!!

Also, to be honest and brutal, you bike seems extremely abused and no where is it coming out as being pampered!!

I have been loyal to TVS last 15 years and no where in my entire relationship have I got a service bill exceeding 1.5K.
arnabchak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 20:23   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: This thread is temporarily closed until the OP shares critical information already requested by others (service bill copies, service points etc.). Without that, we're just going directionless....round & round.

@ Commuter: Please create a new thread in the Assembly Line with the necessary details. Once verified, this thread will be opened again.

Last edited by GTO : 28th August 2014 at 20:26.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed