Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2014, 17:35   #1
BANNED

Sad story of my TVS Apache RTR

My parents, inspite of their humble means, gifted me a TVS APACHE RTR on January 2008. I was about to do my PG degree and they wanted to encourage me. I took care of this machine by sending it to service once in every three months or 3000 kms for the first two years and have been careful about servicing it till date. The maximum interval between services have been either 5 months or 4000 kms. Whenever I went for service I encouraged the mechanic to keep it in best form and didnt bat an eyelid even when the bill was on the higher side 2k+.

But the machine showed sign of trouble right from the second year when it started leaking engine oil profusely. I was concerned because my daily commute was just 5 kms and I did a long trip once in a while. the total mileage on the first two years were just 22k kms. I took the bike to service center and they started changing things like lower block, gaskets and seals. But every time I sent it out for service, the problems returned to trouble me just after they tool feedback of the service. I started telling them and they asked me to bring it any time possible. I took it to them whenever I can several times but the problem returned.

In my quest to honor my parents by riding it as long as possible and keeping it perfect I have spend more than 40k in service alone for it upkeep from the time of purchase till date.

What made me wail out is the latest unknown issue that makes it sound like a tractor.

This is the condition of my pampered TVS Apache at 50k odd kms.
Attached Thumbnails
Sad story of my TVS Apache RTR-2014716125709-medium.jpg  

Sad story of my TVS Apache RTR-2014716125744-medium.jpg  

Sad story of my TVS Apache RTR-2014716125839-medium.jpg  

Sad story of my TVS Apache RTR-2014716125847-medium.jpg  

Sad story of my TVS Apache RTR-2014716125936-medium.jpg  

Sad story of my TVS Apache RTR-2014716125951-medium.jpg  

Sad story of my TVS Apache RTR-2014716130028-medium.jpg  

Sad story of my TVS Apache RTR-2014716130212-medium.jpg  

COMMUTER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 20:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Sad story of my TVS Apache RTR

If you're very concerned about retaining the motorcycle, then everything can be fixed.

Now the oil leak can be fixed, it will mostly be because of worn out piston rings. Then the sound of tractor is just because the engine oil has been leaked away from the engine, the circulation becomes less due to oil deficiency & hence worn out cam to valves to timing chain to tensioner to what not.

Nothing to worry, it is perfectly possible to bring the bike to full glory
aargee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 20:26   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

There is heavy amount of oil leakage from the block. This definitely is not from the bottom half of the engine. The leakage seems to be from the head assembly and if my assessment is right, it is due to the faulty finishing on the head assembly and its cap. Shoot an email to TVS to have them look into this and replace the below parts.

The head assembly block without the internal parts
Bore gasket
Head gasket
Plastic cap on the head assembly.

This should sort out the leakage issue. No amount of gasket replacements or the sealant application will solve the issue if the head assembly has finishing issues.

On the sound, do check the below parts.

Bore clearance
Con rod play

Since you are keen on retaining the bike, I suggest take it to a trusty mechanic and fix the issue by replaceing the above mentioned parts. Even if all the above parts are replaced, it should not cost you more than 12K. Your bike should be as good as new.

OT: I too have an Apache RTR which has run a little over 1.2 Lakh kms. The bike is still going strong and I too plan to retain it as long as I dont face issues with parts.
nkrishnap is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 22:45   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
If you're very concerned about retaining the motorcycle, then everything can be fixed.

Now the oil leak can be fixed, it will mostly be because of worn out piston rings. Then the sound of tractor is just because the engine oil has been leaked away from the engine, the circulation becomes less due to oil deficiency & hence worn out cam to valves to timing chain to tensioner to what not.

Nothing to worry, it is perfectly possible to bring the bike to full glory
Thank you for the hope. I have got the people to replace the parts again and again. But will give one more time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
There is heavy amount of oil leakage from the block. This definitely is not from the bottom half of the engine. The leakage seems to be from the head assembly and if my assessment is right, it is due to the faulty finishing on the head assembly and its cap. Shoot an email to TVS to have them look into this and replace the below parts.
Thank you. The sound is more like the silencer is removed. I will post the mp3 soon.

Last edited by Technocrat : 17th July 2014 at 01:22. Reason: Please quote selectively as a large quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 01:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

I understand the dilemma & the pain of maintaining a troublesome bike, i would fix the leak & get rid of the bike. As for emotions, I am pretty sure your parents gifted you the bike to make your life comfortable & not miserable as it is, due to it being a lemon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post
I am sorry but this does not look anything like a bike which has been pampered.
Technocrat is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 13:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

Really sad to know the fate of your RTR. I own a 2007 one, same model and have done a first stage mod as well(FFE+bigBore) and with regular maintenance thrown in never had any major issue.

From reading the problems, as argee mentions the "oil-leak" issue seems to be the main reason for all other problems. If you dont want to do away with the bike in any case, first try some other TVS service centre. And if that doesnt work why dont you ask the SVC guys to change the whole setup? Would be a bit heavy on pocket but once that's solved all other issues will automatically stop. Though if I were you would just get rid of it rather than spending any further.

40k is not a less amount. I might have spent less than that in last 6.5 years of ownership including the mods.
Old 17th July 2014, 13:24   #7
BHPian

No, that does not look like a bike that has been taken care. Sorry for being harsh, but that bike does reek of negligence.

As nkrishnap mentioned above the oil leak is easy to fix. And the silencer rust does not look good but trust me thats all the corrosion that will take place. As a senior service mgr at TVS once told me - you might see RTR exhaust with rust near the cylinder head - but you wont be able to find any of them with holes due to corrosion . So dont worry about that. I can vouch for that - 2006 Apache and a 2008 RTR eFi owner here.

Find an able mechanic - not SVC - and be with them when they fix the bike.

good luck!
sai_ace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 16:30   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

The problems you have mentioned are easily fixable by a competent mechanic and not the service center. You need to spend some time that's all

And like others have mentioned, that bike reeks of lack of care atleast visually. Dunno about the mechanical aspect. Dont waste your time at the service center

Even my pulsar 180 UG3 silencer is rusted at the head . But no holes or anything.
Old 17th July 2014, 19:42   #9
BHPian

Re: Sad story of my TVS Apache RTR

40K in maintenance for 50 K Kms is very very high, there are not a lot of things that need replacement for a 50 K run bike, timing chains, new valves, clutch plates and a few more. Even if the bike you got was a lemon, it would not have cost you much to fix it. I my experience it all boils down to the mechanic you take the bike to.

My advice would be take it to a competent mechanic, ask around i would not cost too much to get it fixed , the Apache is a good bike with a strong engine.
Old 17th July 2014, 19:56   #10
BANNED

Quote:
I have spend more than 40k in service alone for it upkeep from the time of purchase till date.

What all have you done on the bike to spend 40K in service alone?

IF you don't mind me suggesting you something?? Wash the bike Sir! The way the bike looks, it doesn't seem pampered at all.

Clean the bike once completely and then see where the oil is leaking from. The source will be clearly visible. In this condition it is ALL oil everywhere hence you don't know where the oil is leaking from.

Try looking at the head gasket condition - main leakage source.

Anurag.
Old 17th July 2014, 20:57   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
What all have you done on the bike to spend 40K in service alone?

IF you don't mind me suggesting you something?? Wash the bike Sir! The way the bike looks, it doesn't seem pampered at all.

Clean the bike once completely and then see where the oil is leaking from. The source will be clearly visible. In this condition it is ALL oil everywhere hence you don't know where the oil is leaking from.

Try looking at the head gasket condition - main leakage source.

Anurag.
I don't mind at all. This much of oil has spewed in the gap of just two weeks and 500 kms. I check the oil level and top it up regularly to the limit at my home itself. Before that I was riding in dense rain on the highway and the bike was sparkling after that. Thats pampering.
I like to keep it clean but it has repeatedly spoiled so many good dresses and burnt a deep hole in my pocket, so am a bit frustrated in the past three months.
Yeah the 40k. They have changed a lot of things. Not all related to the oil leak but most are. They changed the gasket four times(or so the bill said every time). They changed the lower engine block. Chain, sproket, brake calipers, suspension springs were changed. That along with the tires at just 22k brings up the figure. Much more expensive than my 2007 petrol indica's lifetime maintenance charges.
Old 17th July 2014, 21:15   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Yeah the 40k. They have changed a lot of things. Not all related to the oil leak but most are. They changed the gasket four times(or so the bill said every time). They changed the lower engine block. Chain, sproket, brake calipers, suspension springs were changed. That along with the tires at just 22k brings up the figure. Much more expensive than my 2007 petrol indica's lifetime maintenance charges.
Can you post the bill of the works carried out for all of us to understand clearly?!

Tyre change @ 22K kms is definitely not normal buddy.

Anurag.
Old 17th July 2014, 21:32   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

A quick glance on the Thread Title and the Photo, I assumed that the bike was in Police Custody for a year or probably it was left unattended to for months together at home.
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 21:54   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Before that I was riding in dense rain on the highway and the bike was sparkling after that. Thats pampering.
I like to keep it clean but it has repeatedly spoiled so many good dresses and burnt a deep hole in my pocket, so am a bit frustrated in the past three months.
Your idea of a bike wash is riding in dense rain? Also one would think that if it has spolied your dress you would pay extra efforts to keep it clean & not leave it to look messy as it is right now.

Quote:
Did you ever question them? Did you escalate or look for another service center?

Also, as a4anurag pointed, 22k is not normal at all to change bike's tyre.

I think the fact that you didnt raise an eyebrow when the service cost went above 2000 is what might have made them take you for a ride.

At the end what are you trying to seek? Solution to the problems faced or advice on whether to keep or sell the bike?
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2014, 16:21   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't mind at all. This much of oil has spewed in the gap of just two weeks and 500 kms. I check the oil level and top it up regularly to the limit at my home itself. Before that I was riding in dense rain on the highway and the bike was sparkling after that. Thats pampering.
Buddy, I am sure you have been taken for a ride by the service center guys, if all the above parts have been changed or rather claimed to be changed by the service center guys.

Engine block was changed for what? And did they use the same old piston on the new block? That would explain the tractor like engine sound and plus the added loss of lubrication due to the oil leak.

Chain and sprocket would have to be replaced if you were not lubricating them at regular intervals.

Tires, is something, which depends on the usage of each individual. You do burnouts and stuff, then you need to change them more frequently. But, why would you change it at the service center? As you could have sourced the tire from any local tire dealer for a lesser amount.

Finally, from the above pictures it seems the oil is leaking from the head. Check for any cracks or gaps from where the oil is leaking.

Last edited by SnS_12 : 18th July 2014 at 16:24.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks